Did You Hear?

Guest Guest

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was where the violations Bureau is now ,correct

First Jersey National Bank was where the violations bureau is now located. The other bank being discussed was Peoples Security Bank. That was originally on the other side of the Town Hall going towards 3rd Street, it then moved to the corner of Harrison Avenue and 4th Street.

It was where the violations Bureau is now ,correct

People's Secutiity moved to the corner where the Indian drugstore is now, in the mid 60's after Rubin's drugstore closed. Before, it was at 316 Harrison Avenue which is now a 3-5 apt. house owned by Tony Valente. It is next to or 'east' of the clothing store Da Silva's.

It later became the Metropilitan Bank; the later the C????????, last the Summit Bank.

Can anyone fill in what it changed to after Metropolitan? That bank had a lot of name changes in fifty years.

People's Secutiity moved to the corner where the Indian drugstore is now, in the mid 60's after Rubin's drugstore closed.  Before, it was at 316 Harrison Avenue which is now a 3-5 apt. house owned by Tony Valente.  It is next to or 'east'  of the clothing store Da Silva's.

It later became the Metropilitan Bank; the later the C????????, last the Summit Bank.

Can anyone fill in what it changed to after Metropolitan?  That bank had a lot of name changes in fifty years.

COLLECTIVE SAVINGS BANK

• 4 weeks later...

How about Cerbones pizza, on Harrison Ave, with that great juke box, missle command, and the wonderful roaches. We loved the pizza anyway!

Guest Guest
Do You remember in our  younger Days You actually had kids going door to door Singing Christmas Carols...That was great, and You would appreciate  it when they gave You a Cup of Hot Chocolate  or a Quarte as a tip.....

Now your getting alittle to Norman Rockwell. We were all about getting the coin, and if you slammed the door in our face we called you cheap for like ten minutes! hahahahahahahahah

What about the RCA, it took up the whole are where the Bergen Mall is, and then some.  On 4th St. (now FER) where the Wendy's is, there was a bar and a bunch of row houses, they burned down in the mid-late 60's.  What about Ben Gast tailor and the old Varsity Cleaners, where the bank is on FER North (the old Marc Pharmacy.)  And the old Dodge dealer on Harrison Av across from 6th St.  For a time in the 70's it was the town's Youth Center.  The Rikshaw Restrauant on 3rd St., where that sports bar is now and the Wing-Han on 7th St.  Sno-gros on So. 4th St., right next to Packy's Bar.  Speaking of bars...Hibbo's on 5th and Harrison.

:P I remember the Wing Han, I miss that place. They were so nice and made one hell of a Zombie drink!

• 1 month later...
:P I remember the Wing Han, I miss that place.  They were so nice and made one hell of a Zombie drink!

Yes, I loved the Wing Han, and God forgive me, I remember running out the door, once (age 14), with a few of my "crazy friends" when it came time to pay the bill! Sorry, I now know it was a terrible thing to do, but it was really funny then! And Mr.Han was a pretty fast runner, he almost got us! ;)

Guest guest
Yes, I loved the Wing Han, and God forgive me, I remember running out  the door, once (age 14), with a few of my "crazy friends" when it came time to pay the bill!  Sorry, I now know it was a terrible thing to do, but it was really funny then!  And Mr.Han was a pretty fast runner, he almost got us!    :P

Anyone know why it closed? Did Mr. Han pass away or retire?

Guest guest
The place was loaded with cockroaches---honestly!!!

Wasn't the place open a 'few years'? I'm surprised the customers didn't notice the 'things', not return, and cause his business to go 'downhill' a lot ealier or that the Board of Health didn't close him down a lot 'sooner'.

Guest sjr

OK now heres a few...

How about the Saturday afternoon movies 25 cartoons for 25 cents.

Or free movies after the Memorial Day parade...and what a parade, actually on Memorial Day. Do you remember getting a FREE pencil box and free movies on Labor Day weekend...or a Christmas stocking and free movies just before Christmas.

How about the 5 Star Diner on Harrison Ave near 7th Street. Do you remember Mary's Candy Store on Second Street...off Harrison Ave.

How about the big Christmas Tree that was put up by RCA on the closed part of 5th Street.

Guest Guest
Wasn't the place open a 'few years'?  I'm surprised the customers didn't notice the 'things', not return, and cause his business to go 'downhill' a lot ealier or that the Board of Health didn't close him down a lot  'sooner'.

Its called a kick back...

Archived