Assemblies at Kearny High

Guest Paul

Tomorrow morning, October 10, Dr. Kenneth Miller of Brown University is scheduled to present a program in assembly to Kearny High School students on evolutionary biology. Dr. Miller is a well-known authority in his field and was the lead witness in the Kitzmiller case, the famous trial in Dover, PA in 2005. He is also an author of a widely used high school biology text. I've seen him speak to an Ohio audience in a superb you tube presentation. I'll try to find the link so that residents and others can get an idea of what the students are likely to hear.

In late November or early December, Rev. Barry Lynn, Executive Director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, will present a second assembly, this one on church-state separation. Rev. Lynn is also a leading figure in his field, and is widely in demand as a speaker on church-state issues.

Finally, in Febuary Dr. Charles Liu of the Hayden Planetarium in New York and an associate of Neil deGrasse Tyson, will present a third assembly on cosmology and general science. Dr. Liu is an astrophysicist who lives in Montclair.

Each of these speakers has agreed to come to Kearny High for free. Only their travel expenses are being reimbursed. They have done so because they believe in the integrity of education and wanted to lend their time and their prestige to the cause for which Matthew has been fighting for more than a year. These assemblies came about after the Anti-Defamation League informed us that they could not conclude the student training as we had agreed. Matthew contacted and arranged for each of these speakers on his own. In addition, the Anti-Defamation League will be returning to Kearny to instruct teachers in a program for student education, and that training will be imparted to the students by our teachers in Kearny. The assemblies described above are in addition to that. As a footnote, Matthew has been invited to address the ADL at its leadership conference in New York in November.

We are delighted with this resolution. Rarely does a high school receive an in-person visit from someone as highly qualified as any one of these gentleman. Kearny High is getting all three of them. So in the end, out of an unfortunate series of events, education wins out. That was our goal. Finally and at long last, this accomplishes it.

Tomorrow morning, October 10, Dr. Kenneth Miller of Brown University is scheduled to present a program in assembly to Kearny High School students on evolutionary biology. . . .

In late November or early December, Rev. Barry Lynn, Executive Director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, will present a second assembly, this one on church-state separation. . .

Finally, in Febuary Dr. Charles Liu of the Hayden Planetarium in New York and an associate of Neil deGrasse Tyson, will present a third assembly on cosmology and general science.

68870[/snapback]

Wowza. I would love to see these presentations. I am a great admirer of Ken Miller (Finding Darwin's God). I got to see Barry Lynn last spring at the University of Texas; he's great.

Congratulations on the all-star team coming to Kearny. Congratulations also to Matthew on his speaking engagement with the ADL.

Leigh

Wow, Ken Miller talking at Kearny High--that's wonderful. :D

I think this is the lecture you're referring to, Paul:

It's a great watch for anyone who wants to familiarize him or herself with Miller. He definitely knows his stuff, and he's pretty funny too, imho.

Wish I could have been there to see it myself.

68957[/snapback]

Same here. Thank you for the link. That's the one. I highly recommend it to anyone who wonders what Dr. Miller discussed. He presented different material in Kearny, but the theme is the same.

Tomorrow morning, October 10, Dr. Kenneth Miller of Brown University is scheduled to present a program in assembly to Kearny High School students on evolutionary biology. Dr. Miller is a well-known authority in his field and was the lead witness in the Kitzmiller case, the famous trial in Dover, PA in 2005. He is also an author of a widely used high school biology text. I've seen him speak to an Ohio audience in a superb you tube presentation. I'll try to find the link so that residents and others can get an idea of what the students are likely to hear.

In late November or early December, Rev. Barry Lynn, Executive Director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, will present a second assembly, this one on church-state separation. Rev. Lynn is also a leading figure in his field, and is widely in demand as a speaker on church-state issues.

Finally, in Febuary Dr. Charles Liu of the Hayden Planetarium in New York and an associate of Neil deGrasse Tyson, will present a third assembly on cosmology and general science. Dr. Liu is an astrophysicist who lives in Montclair.

Each of these speakers has agreed to come to Kearny High for free. Only their travel expenses are being reimbursed. They have done so because they believe in the integrity of education and wanted to lend their time and their prestige to the cause for which Matthew has been fighting for more than a year. These assemblies came about after the Anti-Defamation League informed us that they could not conclude the student training as we had agreed. Matthew contacted and arranged for each of these speakers on his own. In addition, the Anti-Defamation League will be returning to Kearny to instruct teachers in a program for student education, and that training will be imparted to the students by our teachers in Kearny. The assemblies described above are in addition to that. As a footnote, Matthew has been invited to address the ADL at its leadership conference in New York in November.

We are delighted with this resolution. Rarely does a high school receive an in-person visit from someone as highly qualified as any one of these gentleman. Kearny High is getting all three of them. So in the end, out of an unfortunate series of events, education wins out. That was our goal. Finally and at long last, this  accomplishes it.

68870[/snapback]

Goodie for Matthew.

It was by far the worst assembly throughout my 3 years in the high school.  My students were sleeping.  It was an uninteresting topic.  Seco

69033[/snapback]

Considering how important a topic it is and the degree to which KHS students have displayed ignorance in it, you should be ashamed of making such a comment.

Guest tax payer

We are delighted with this resolution. Rarely does a high school receive an in-person visit from someone as highly qualified as any one of these gentleman. Kearny High is getting all three of them. So in the end, out of an unfortunate series of events, education wins out. That was our goal. Finally and at long last, this  accomplishes it.

68870[/snapback]

Paul youare an a+++++e

Finally something is happening that would make me actually to want to go to Kearny.  What a coup!  Congratulations to Matthew.  And I hope Paszkiewicz's supporters show up to try to argue with any of the presenters.  I hope they bring up Kirk Cameron's crocaduck!

69056[/snapback]

As a marvelous and happy footnote to this story, several students who didn't speak to Matthew at all last year thanked him for the assembly. They said they learned from it. Frankly, ayone who didn't learn from Kenneth Miller was determined not to.

Paul youare an a+++++e

69179[/snapback]

Paul, how dare your actions bring renowned, world-famous speakers to teach our children for free! :D

Man, I wish I could have gone. Ken Miller is such a great choice. He doesn't have a dog in the mostly-concluded punctuated equilibrium/phyletic gradualism fight, so he concentrates on the basics of evolution. As a theist, he treats their oppositions with gentility and humor, so he's not as abrasive as some other speakers might have been.

Guest Guest_taxpayer_*
Want some cheese with your whine?

69242[/snapback]

Jesus, hell no, give the cheese ******* **** ***** to Paul.....

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest Travel Agent

68870[/snapback]

Where can we find out what the "travel expenses" were?

68870[/snapback]

I am a Muslim.

How do I get an Imam to give lectures at the school?

Equal time -you know. After all Ramadan just ended and I think everyone should know the importance of this.

I am a Muslim.

Equal time -you know. After all Ramadan just ended and I think everyone should know the importance of this.

69412[/snapback]

Evolution isn't a religion. Ken Miller already has a religion-he's Christian.

I am a Muslim.

69412[/snapback]

How exactly does that relate? Just because Miller is a Christian doesn't make his lecture a sermon. I'd imagine he stuck to the topic at hand.

As a marvelous and happy footnote to this story, several students who didn't speak to Matthew at all last year thanked him for the assembly. They said they learned from it. Frankly, ayone who didn't learn from Kenneth Miller was determined not to.

69180[/snapback]

Glad to hear of the positive reaction for Matthew.

When will people understand that evolution isnt religion?

69599[/snapback]

Precisely when they are properly educated (and I'm not just talking about learning about evolution, but being taught the ability to properly interpret things, so that such conclusions aren't jumped to in the first place).

When someone claimes evolution is a religion, they make a strong statement (whether they realize it or not) about just exactly how much they know about evolution (and/or what exactly constitutes a religion).