Kearny Generals Football

Guest Generals Parent

Guest Generals Parent

I am a parent of 2 Kearny Generals football players. My kids have been practicing since the middle of July and some of these kids have been practicing since June in the hot weather. This is a big commitment for the kids and they practice hard and should be commended.

When we got the game schedule, it showed that our last 3 home games were going to be played at Kearny High School and the kids were very excited about that. It's a new beautiful field and the kids deserve to play on it but the other day my kids came home with a note from the Generals stating ................" All of the remaining Kearny Generals Football games will be played at Vets field and not at Kearny High School due to the fact that the Generals are responsible for providing police officers at the High School field and the cost is between 50$ and 55$ per police officer per hour which comes to about 800$ for each day. It is our opinion that this is outrageous and a non necessary expense. We would rather use the money that we save here to purchase supplies for the kids."

My question is, how can we travel to these other "inner city" towns like Orange or Patterson and play on their High school fields? We played in Orange and they had a beautiful brand new turf field just like Kearny equipped with police officers. I just don't understand how my taxes can be so high and I get nothing for it. I also do not understand how the problem is paying for Police officers when there are no Police officers when we play at Vets field. I feel that the town should be donating a Police officer and even have a paramedic on the field just in case one of our kids get hurt.

That all being said, I just don't feel that the town is totally to blame for this. I also feel that alot has to do with a departing Generals President and crew. The president has been non existent this year and I feel that is because he doesn't care because this is his last year. Lat year he was in the stands talking to the parents about all that he and his crew have done and bought for the program. This year you can barely find him. There has been no mention of "canning" like we did last year to make money for the program, the fundraiser was a joke and I guarantee there is no money to pay for Police partly because of this. We were able to play on the High School field last year so why not this year ?

All in all I just feel that the kids deserve to play on the high school field because they have worked their butts off this year and should be rewarded !

I am a parent of 2 Kearny Generals football players. My kids have been practicing since the middle of July and some of these kids have been practicing since June in the hot weather. This is a big commitment for the kids and they practice hard and should be commended.

When we got the game schedule, it showed that our last 3 home games were going to be played at Kearny High School and the kids were very excited about that. It's a new beautiful field and the kids deserve to play on it but the other day my kids came home with a note from the Generals stating ................" All of the remaining Kearny Generals Football games will be played at Vets field and not at Kearny High School due to the fact that the Generals are responsible for providing police officers at the High School field and the cost is between 50$ and 55$ per police officer per hour which comes to about 800$ for each day. It is our opinion that this is outrageous and a non necessary expense. We would rather use the money that we save here to purchase supplies for the kids."

My question is, how can we travel to these other "inner city" towns like Orange or Patterson and play on their High school fields? We played in Orange and they had a beautiful brand new turf field just like Kearny equipped with police officers. I just don't understand how my taxes can be so high and I get nothing for it. I also do not understand how the problem is paying for Police officers when there are no Police officers when we play at Vets field. I feel that the town should be donating a Police officer and even have a paramedic on the field just in case one of our kids get hurt.

That all being said, I just don't feel that the town is totally to blame for this. I also feel that alot has to do with a departing Generals President and crew. The president has been non existent this year and I feel that is because he doesn't care because this is his last year. Lat year he was in the stands talking to the parents about all that he and his crew have done and bought for the program. This year you can barely find him. There has been no mention of "canning" like we did last year to make money for the program, the fundraiser was a joke and I guarantee there is no money to pay for Police partly because of this. We were able to play on the High School field last year so why not this year ?

All in all I just feel that the kids deserve to play on the high school field because they have worked their butts off this year and should be rewarded !

68521[/snapback]

I could't agree more, Ask MAYOR SANTOS why he increased the budget for legal services and reduced the budget for recreation. If that didn't happen there would be plenty of money to pay for police and many other things for the kids. Face it he's not a recreation Mayor. Ask the Mayor why he did this!!!!

68521[/snapback]

I agree! But unfortunately, many of the devoted coaches were "removed" by the Town's Rec Department this year and the kids are the ones suffering now. The Rec dept has their own people in ther running things....and they plan on giving the minimum. My suggestion would be to get your parents together and attend the next Rec commission meeting....I can't guarantee satisfaction, but your voices will be heard. It should also be an eye-opener for parents to see how little the rec commission (the people making decisions on your childrens rec sports) really know about sports. This is just another example of why each sport has its own board, to make decisions exactly like the High school field issue. But the town insists on bumping all the good people out! Good luck..

68521[/snapback]

In other programs in other towns like Wayne, The PAL sponsers many of the football league functions and as an option maybe someone there stepping up might be a way. It would also provide leadership and security so you kill two birds with one stone. I would really like to see that program flourish and in watching the games, I can see the excitement it brings to the kids of Kearny as well. I wish the program all the luck.

68521[/snapback]

There's gotta be one or more organizations in town with an ability to raise a few bucks.

Are police officers really making $55/hour? Or is this the standard charge levied by the town?

I agree! But unfortunately, many of the devoted coaches were "removed" by the Town's Rec Department this year and the kids are the ones suffering now. The Rec dept has their own people in ther running things....and they plan on giving the minimum. My suggestion would be to get your parents together and attend the next Rec commission meeting....I can't guarantee satisfaction, but your voices will be heard. It should also be an eye-opener for parents to see how little the rec commission (the people making decisions on your childrens rec sports) really know about sports. This is just another example of why each sport has its own board, to make decisions exactly like the High school field issue. But the town insists on bumping all the good people out! Good luck..

68617[/snapback]

Could you please post here when the next Rec commission meeting is? This department has been running amuck and I know a bunch of people who would like to attend. However it’s always one of those last minute, date changed or location changed meetings that take place and people never know what is going on.

Just place a post here and I will try to get the word along.

Thanks.

Guest football fan

68521[/snapback]

your 1st part of your statment is valid ......but to say the pres is non existing just shows that your a parent that drops off there kids and leaves....baby sitting service, or you don,t know who is the pres.is ....i know for a fact he is there every day at practice because he is my sons pee-wee coach...also he is at every game...you can fine him at the p.a system during the games ..or even at the concession stand .if you get your lazzy a-- up in the morning of the game .you can find him setting up the field ...or if you stay long enought to support the teams you can find him taking down the field after most people are gone .i know because my kid helps him .so to say the pres is not there tells me one thing .u r not there supporting your childrens sport.you wrote your statment from the note you recieved from your children.thats the exstent of your input.....and i know for a fact that he did not just give up on playing the games at kearny high ...he is working on a resonable price or a police officer to donate there time.again i know because i asked him..

Guest Guest_neighbor_*
I could't agree more, Ask MAYOR SANTOS why he increased the budget for legal services and reduced the budget for recreation.  If that didn't happen there would be plenty of money to pay for police and many other things for the kids.                              Face it he's not a recreation Mayor.                                Ask the Mayor why he did this!!!!

68568[/snapback]

Wow sounds like the same s**t that goes on 1 mile to the south. welcome to the world of harrisonians

68617[/snapback]

Some people just don't like to miss an opportunity.

The fact that the kids are not going to play at the High School field has absolutely NOTHING to do with some coaches not being around this season!

So stop beating your chest and MOVE ON! Focus on the topic.

All in all I just feel that the kids deserve to play on the high school field because they have worked their butts off this year and should be rewarded. What your getting for $ 55.00 per hour is OFF duty officers. These officers are on their scheduled days off. The fee would be the same as hiring a private security firm. The KPD officers you see doing traffic control for construction projects around town are doing the same thing. So stop your whining or pay the fee.

Some people just don't like to miss an opportunity.

The fact that the kids are not going to play at the High School field has absolutely NOTHING to do with some coaches not being around this season!

So stop beating your chest and MOVE ON! Focus on the topic.

68868[/snapback]

Your right, not playing at the High school doesn't have anything to do with some good coaches not being there this season....it was meant to show another bad decision made by the Rec dept.

All in all I just feel that the kids deserve to play on the high school field because they have worked their butts off this year and should be rewarded. What your getting for $ 55.00 per hour is OFF duty officers. These officers are on their scheduled days off. The fee would be the same as hiring a private security firm. The KPD officers you see doing traffic control for construction projects around town are doing the same thing. So stop your whining or pay the fee.

69094[/snapback]

Smart guy............... the town should put up. We all know they are off duty. But thanks for putting the word out for them that they need to get paid if the kids want to play. Hey where are those officers at Vet's Field again? Take a look at all the people involved at ground level who make any youth/rec sports work so the kids are able to play at all. They're off duty too.

Guest Generals Parent
your 1st part of your statment is valid ......but to say the pres is non existing just shows that your a parent that drops off there kids and leaves....baby sitting service, or you don,t know who is the pres.is ....i know for a fact he is there every day at practice because he is my sons pee-wee coach...also he is at every game...you can fine him at the p.a system during the games ..or even at the concession stand .if you get your lazzy a-- up in the morning of the game .you can find him setting up the field ...or if you stay long enought to support the teams you can find him taking down the field after most people are gone .i know because my kid helps him .so to say the pres is not there tells me one thing .u r not there supporting your childrens sport.you wrote your statment from the note you recieved from your children.thats the exstent of your input.....and i know for a fact that he did not just give up on playing the games at kearny high ...he is working on a resonable price or a police officer to donate there time.again i know because i asked him..

68815[/snapback]

Wow, "baby sitting service", "lazy a$$", "if you can stay long enough to support the teams", "you are not there supporting your childrens sport" .........sounds like the "exstent" of your input is based on absolutely nothing. I am down there every night and every game from Monday to Sunday, so to say that I don't support my kid or my team is about as half a$$ed as your grammar. You need to get hooked on phonics my friend.

When I said that the President is non existent I meant in title not literally. Yes I can find the President setting up the field on Sunday or at his practice during the week or at Opening Ceremonies under a tent in the pouring rain while our players and cheerleaders are getting soaking wet just so he can GET IT IN and not have to call it off for another day..........Yes, he is physically there. It is no secret that he and his crew stayed on for one reason this year and that is to keep the other coaches out and that's just what they did. As for anything else, they are just going through the motions .......no speach on what they have bought for the program (because they have done nothing), no pictures for the kids which is a big fundraiser (money that could be used for the kids to play at the HS). No pictures for the kids is ridiculous because the parents look forward to that ....especially first year players parents.

All in all, games are being played and the kids are having fun but I just can't understand why we can't play on our own HS field like all of the other towns that we travel to. I guess that just comes with the territory of living in Kearny!

It would be great if the cops could volunteer, but the town will not allow it due to insurance regulations. once they are in uniform they have to be on the books somewhere to be covered, and i think they make about $25 or 30 an hour. lets not get crazy with the $50 plus statements. As far as Vets field, there should be at least a cop down there to begin with, along with an e.m.t. Stop crying on this site and go to the town, they are the ones who can make it happen, not me and you.

Smart guy...............  the town should put up.  We all know they are off duty.  But thanks for putting the word out for them that they need to get paid if the kids want to play.  Hey where are those officers at Vet's Field again? Take a look at all the people involved at ground level who make any youth/rec sports work so the kids are able to play at all. They're off duty too.

69130[/snapback]

WE ARE NOT A CONSTRUCTION CO .WE ARE A TOWN FUNDED REC PROGRAM,AND THE POLICE SHOULD BE POLICING OUR CHILDREN AT ALL OUR GAMES.AS PART OF THERE DAY TO DAY DUTIES. THE POLICE CAN CHARGE ALL THEY WANT TO CONSTRUCTION CO. PHONE CO,, CABEL CO P.S.E.G THAT I CAN SEE. BUT TO CHARGE THE REC DEPT IS SO, SO, SO, WRONG.DO WE PAY OFF DUTY POLICE TO HAVE ANY OTHER TOWN PROGRAMS??? I CAN SEE WHY OUR

TAXES ARE SO HIGH NOW. WOW ! THE MACHINE IS REALLY BROKEN IN THIS TOWN.

WE ARE NOT A CONSTRUCTION CO .WE ARE A TOWN FUNDED REC PROGRAM,AND THE POLICE SHOULD BE POLICING OUR CHILDREN AT ALL OUR GAMES.AS PART OF THERE DAY TO DAY DUTIES. THE POLICE CAN CHARGE ALL THEY WANT TO CONSTRUCTION CO. PHONE CO,, CABEL CO P.S.E.G THAT I CAN SEE. BUT TO CHARGE THE REC DEPT IS SO, SO, SO, WRONG.DO WE PAY OFF DUTY POLICE TO HAVE ANY OTHER TOWN PROGRAMS???  I CAN SEE WHY OUR

69487[/snapback]

I agree with you. I think you're agreeing with me.

WE ARE NOT A CONSTRUCTION CO .WE ARE A TOWN FUNDED REC PROGRAM,AND THE POLICE SHOULD BE POLICING OUR CHILDREN AT ALL OUR GAMES.AS PART OF THERE DAY TO DAY DUTIES. THE POLICE CAN CHARGE ALL THEY WANT TO CONSTRUCTION CO. PHONE CO,, CABEL CO P.S.E.G THAT I CAN SEE. BUT TO CHARGE THE REC DEPT IS SO, SO, SO, WRONG.DO WE PAY OFF DUTY POLICE TO HAVE ANY OTHER TOWN PROGRAMS???  I CAN SEE WHY OUR

69487[/snapback]

there is barely enough coverage during the regular shifts to cover the town, never mind spending 2-3 hours at a football game. its overtime/off duty or nothing, get used to it

there is barely enough coverage during the regular shifts to cover the town, never mind spending 2-3 hours at a football game. its overtime/off duty or nothing, get used to it

69799[/snapback]

sure thing, i agree. how about the overtime gets offered to the new hire PO not the other way around? :blink:

69799[/snapback]

I remember back in the 70's someone was following around town employees and documenting what they were doing during their day. As you may expect, many were slacking on the job, and a number lost their jobs because of it.

This attitude is the same that encouraged the snoops to start tracking the town employees.

Smart guy...............  the town should put up.  We all know they are off duty.  But thanks for putting the word out for them that they need to get paid if the kids want to play.  Hey where are those officers at Vet's Field again? Take a look at all the people involved at ground level who make any youth/rec sports work so the kids are able to play at all. They're off duty too.

69130[/snapback]

You do know that the field your complaining about does'nt even belong to the town of Kearny. That field belongs to the State of NJ department of Veterens. The town only leases the land. Personally I could do without General's football. It's mainly the parents who cause most of the problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_quest_*
There's gotta be one or more organizations in town with an ability to raise a few bucks. 

Are police officers really making $55/hour?  Or is this the standard charge levied by the town?

68787[/snapback]

whats the problem with the money.AT a rec. commission meeting it was stated by RP THAT the generals executive board raised $88.000.00 dollars the first 2 years in OFFICE . so what;s the problem with paying for cops. OR IS ***** BLOWING SMOKE FROM HIS ASS AGAIN.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest unknown

69799[/snapback]

why is everyone complaining about paying the cops . as per RP the generals football has $88.000.00 DOLLARS IN THEIR ACCOUNT!!!!! SO PAYING THE COPS OVERTIME SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM .THEY DESERVE TO BE PAID OVERTIME.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Generals Parent
You do know that the field your complaining about does'nt even belong to the town of Kearny. That field belongs to the State of NJ department of Veterens. The town only leases the land. Personally I could do without General's football. It's mainly the parents who cause most of the problems.

70385[/snapback]

Sounds like a soccer mom to me! Remember one thing toots, there is a reason that the name "soccer mom" was brought about and that is because it's the SOCCER MOMS that are the problem.

Guest THEWAYITIS

whats the problem with the money.AT a rec. commission meeting it was stated by RP THAT the generals executive board raised $88.000.00 dollars the first 2 years in OFFICE . so what;s the problem with paying for cops. OR IS ***** BLOWING SMOKE FROM HIS ASS AGAIN.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

72455[/snapback]

[/quote

that statment,IS NOT CORRECT,,THE STATMENT WAS NOT: RAISED OR IN THERE ACCOUNT: GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT. check the records of the GENERALS boards financial report at the town hall.

something the public could never do in the past. THE PAST POLICY USE TO BE

DON,T SHOW THE TOWN OUR BOOKS. JUST ONE MORE THING THESE BOARD MEMBERS DID RIGHT . ..THEY PURCHASED

1- A NEW P.A SYSTEM ,FOR THE PROGRAM NEVER HAD ONE IN THE PAST

2- 25 NEW UNIFORMS FOR THE 135# FOOTBALL TEAM TOP TO BOTTOM HELMETS,

GAME JERSEYS, SCHOULDER PADS PANTS ECT,ECT...

3- FLAG FOOTBALL, NEW BALLS AND FLAGS

4-NEW CHEERLEADING UNIFORMS.

5- NEW GOAL POST PADS

6-NEW FOOTBALL FIELD EQUIPMENT 5 MAN SLED AND BLASTER NEVER HAD THIS BASIC TEACHING EQUIPMENT BEFORE

7 NEW FOOTBALL JERSEYS AND PANTS HELMETS ECT TO REPLACE OLD EQUIPMENT

8-NEW MEDICAL EQUPMENT

9- NEW FOOTBALL HEAD SETS FOR COACHES NEVER HAD THEM BEFORE

10- HOT DOG CART....ORIGINAL FROM QUEENS N.Y

11- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY ACCOUNTABILITY TO THE PARENTS AND THE TOWN

12- THERE ARE TO MANY SMALL THINGS TO LIST....THAT WERE PURCHASED

REPAIR KITS ,MOUTH PIECES,MISC PADS ECT ECT...

13-ALSO THE BIGGEST COMPLAINT WITH THE PROGRAM WAS THE BOYS WERE NOT GETTING PLAY TIME, THIS BOARD AND ITS COACHES PUT IN FULL SEASON B GAMES FOR JR-PEEWEE AND PEE-WEE TEAMS.

14- THE GENERALS PLAYED 5 PRE-SEASON GAMES THIS YEAR..

15-WHEN THIS BOARD STARTED THERE WAS NO REGESTRATION FEE,

THEY WERE TOLD BY THE PAST BOARD MEMBERS IF THE TOWN HAD FEE,S

THE BOYS WOULD NOT COME OUT TO PLAY ,WE SEE THAT WAS NOT THE CASE.

THE GENERALS WERE ALSO TOLD OUR BOYS CAN NOT PLAY IN A LEAGUE LIKE THE T.V.C, AGAIN WE SEE THATS NOT SO.

THE GENERALS FIELDED 2 -7TH AND 8TH GRADES FOOTBALL TEAMS ANOTHER 1ST.

AND YES THERE WERE 180 FOOTBALL REGISTRATIONS THIS YEAR. ITS ON RECORD AT THE TOWN HALL.AND YES OUR PROGRAM IS NOT PERFECT AND STILL HAS PROBLEMS .BUT YOU HAVE TO STEP UP TO MAKE THE CHANGES ,SO STOP BASHING AND STEP UP GO TO THE TOWN HALL, AND PUT YOUR NAME IN TO VOLUNTEER YOUR TIME TO CHANGE THE PROGRAM .THERE ARE OPENINGS ON THE GENERALS BOARD ,PRES- VP -LEAGUE REP-

this year we had 3 teams in the running for playoffs with 3 games remaining in our season. varsity and pee-wee teams lost to a tuff west orange team.to knock them out,and still had a direct impact on what team was going to the playoffs in the final game of the season. with 2 coaching staffs from other towns at our last game. our 135# team with only 2 wins ,played there last game with a chance to still get a playoff spot with a 3 way tie for the final spot. that how competitive it was this year.our boys earned the respect of the twin valley conference in the past 2 years ..as a good football club. CALL THEM AND ASK THEM ,THATS NOT ME SAYING IT ,ITS THE COACHES FROM THE OTHER TOWNS SAYING IT,, AND THATS SOMTHING GOOD.

YOU CAN SAY WHAT YOU WANT ON THIS SITE, BUT ITS NOT ABOUT YOU AND THE GENERALS OFFICERS , AND ALL THE FALSE FACTS ,AND HURT FEELINGS, ITS ABOUT THE PROGRAM AND THE CHILDREN. SOME PEOPLE JUST DON,T GET THAT.THEY WOULD RATHER SPEND THERE TIME TRYING TO DISRUPT AND TAKE DOWN A PROGRAM.THEN BACK IT.AND THESE ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO SAY THEY ARE FOR FOOTBALL IN TOWN , .JUST LOOK AT THE SUPPORT THE H.S FOOTBALL PROGRAM GETS FROM THE PARENTS .NOTHING "A HAND FULL OF GOOD PEOPLE.WHO TRY TO CHANGE THINGS FOR THE BETTER.THIS TOWN NEEDS MORE THAN A NEW H.S FOOTBALL COACH AND PROGRAM.

"IT NEEDS A WINNING PROGRAM." THEN AND ONLY THEN WILL THE BACK STABBING AND SCUTTLEBUTT AND BASHING STOP. UNTIL THEN THESE KIDS PLAY WITHOUT THE SUPPORT THEY NEED . MEET THE COACHES NITE WAS A BUST MAYBE 10 FAMILYS THERE AND IM BEING KIND. BOOSTER CLUB DANCE WAS ANOTHER BUST WHO WANTS TO GO TO A DANCE WITH EVERYBODY BACK STABBING EACH OTHER AND CAN,T GET ALONG .AND IM NOT PICKING ON THE BOOST CLUB THERE STUCK IN THE MIDDLE OF YEARS OF FRUSTRATION ITS JUST THE WAY IT IS. ITS A SHAME

GO KARDS

GO GENERALS