THE LANGUAGE IN THIS TOWN

Guest MOTHER HEN

WHAT'S WITH THE HOLY PARADES AND RAISING OF THE OTHER COUNTRY'S FLAG?

i'm sure you meant to include ALL ethnic celebrations, right?  like st. patrick's day and columbus day?  want to add in christmas and easter too?  and the good friday stations of the cross?  let's not leave out oktoberfest either, right?

I would like to help clarify..... I half agree with topic, however I am not a bigot and believe every person on the face of the earth deserves a chance of happiness and freedom. Let me just say that we all come from different countries in one way or another, unless your a native american, and I don't think Harrison has many of them around. But, my grandmother came here through Ellis Island, and was detained there until her sponsor could be found(which by the way, was 3 months), she only had 6 days left before she would be deported back to Germany. When she was SPONSORED, she had to learn the lanquage of AMERICA, and was proud to do so. She worked hard, never had welfare or food stamps to help her along. When she married, she raised 9 children in her new country, and ENGLISH was the only lanquage allowed to be spoken in her home............. She was a proud German/American. I think anyone that wants to come to America for a better life, more power to them.... Just do the right thing, learn our language, work hard, and have respect for your fellow AMERICANS, and everyone should get along very well. For this is AMERICA, the land of the FREE and the home of the BRAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to help clarify..... I half agree with topic, however I am not a bigot and believe every person on the face of the earth deserves a chance of happiness and freedom.  Let me just say that we all come from different countries in one way or another, unless your a native american, and I don't think Harrison has many of them around.  But, my grandmother came here through Ellis Island, and was detained there until her sponsor could be found(which by the way, was 3 months), she only had 6 days left before she would be deported back to Germany.  When she was SPONSORED, she had to learn the lanquage of AMERICA, and was proud to do so.  She worked hard, never had welfare or food stamps to help her along.  When she married, she raised 9 children in her new country, and ENGLISH was the only lanquage allowed to be spoken in her home............. She was a proud German/American.  I think anyone that wants to come to America for a better life, more power to them....  Just do the right thing, learn our language, work hard, and have respect for your fellow AMERICANS, and everyone should get along very well.  For this is AMERICA, the land of the FREE and the home of the BRAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well said! My Grandmother also would not allow French to be spoken at home, but you must remember, things were different back then. The goverment and schools cater to those who speak a different language. Everything today is printed bi-lingual. Go to another country and see if your catered to. :D:lol:

Archived