Halloween Parade

Guest Guest_Mary Hoey_*

Guest Guest_Mary Hoey_*

It's nearing the time of year when the absence of a long time Harrison tradition saddens me so. I wonder what people think about the possibility of the resurrecting of what I believe was a 50 + year tradition? I think back fondly of the years when several hundred, perhaps thousands of people would come from all over the state and peacefully enjoy the evening. I don't recall many instances of crime really. It was all about the children and community pride and involvement. What saddens me most is the thought that perhaps the cost of the celebration that takes place in the Library Park could possibly be as costly as the traditional parade (or more) but lacks any beneficial community impact. I understand the kids stand in line for a long time waiting for a short stint on a carnie like ride and then into the more time in line for the possibility of getting a hot dog. I listen to the constant blaring of police sirens for the past two years racing around town and think to myself, I don't remember hearing sirens when all were gathered watching the annual Halloween Parade? It was a peaceful, fun filled event for the most part. I would be curious to compare two aspects with town officials. Number one, what are the costs comparisons of annual traditional parade vs. the event in the Library Park and secondly the number of police responses required on October 31st going back perhaps 10 years. I think many people miss the camaraderie and community involvement that took place every year, from the school children who would get out of a class or two to decorate their school floats to the seniors who would lovingly line the streets or ride on the senior float to the many out of Towners who would come join in what was a very special gathering of very special people in a very special community. There were some very interesting groups that would come partake in the parade over the years and the present day celebration just completely lacks any spirit , historic impact or just plain community pride that this town was built on. If you agree, let your voice be heard and maybe, just maybe the tradition could resume. Maybe not in the magnitude of the past initially, but like anything else could regain momentum and become something I and many I know could be proud of and to say "yes, I'm from Harrison" and yes we have one of the best parades in the state.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nearing the time of year when the absence of a long time Harrison tradition saddens me so.  I wonder what people think about the possibility of the resurrecting of what I believe was a 50 + year tradition?  I think back fondly of the years when several hundred, perhaps thousands of people  would come from all over the state and peacefully enjoy the evening. I don't recall many instances of crime really. It was all about the children and community pride and involvement.  What saddens me most is the thought that perhaps the cost of the celebration that takes place in the Library Park could possibly be as costly as the traditional parade (or more) but lacks any beneficial community impact. I understand the kids stand in line for a long time waiting for a short stint on a carnie like ride and then into the more time in line for the possibility of getting a hot dog. I listen to the constant blaring of police sirens for the past two years  racing around town and think to myself, I don't remember hearing sirens when all were gathered watching the annual Halloween Parade? It was a peaceful, fun filled event for the most part. I would be curious to compare two aspects with town officials. Number one, what are the costs comparisons  of annual traditional parade vs. the event in the Library Park and secondly the number of police responses required on October 31st going back perhaps 10 years. I think many people miss the camaraderie  and community involvement that took place every year,  from the school children who would get out of a class or two to decorate their school floats to the seniors who would lovingly line the streets or ride on the senior float to the many out of Towners who would come join in what was a very special gathering of very special people in a very special community. There were some very interesting groups that would come partake in the parade over the years and the present day celebration just completely lacks any spirit , historic impact or just plain community pride that this town was built on. If you agree, let your voice be heard and maybe,  just maybe the tradition could resume. Maybe not in the magnitude of the past initially, but like anything else could regain momentum and become something I and many I know could be proud of and to say "yes, I'm from Harrison" and yes we have one of the best parades in the state.

where are you from? the town has not money, the town has not valatiers, the town has not joe supor trucks to ride on the avenue, that was the only thing in the parade in the last few years, AND YOU EXPECT TO HAVE A PARADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where are you from?  the town has not money, the town has not valatiers, the town has not joe supor trucks to ride on the avenue, that was the only thing in the parade in the last few years, AND YOU EXPECT TO HAVE A PARADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are "valatiers"?

I agree with Mary. The parade was a lot of fun, and the Library Park thing is a disaster.

It's nearing the time of year when the absence of a long time Harrison tradition saddens me so.  I wonder what people think about the possibility of the resurrecting of what I believe was a 50 + year tradition?  I think back fondly of the years when several hundred, perhaps thousands of people  would come from all over the state and peacefully enjoy the evening. I don't recall many instances of crime really. It was all about the children and community pride and involvement.  What saddens me most is the thought that perhaps the cost of the celebration that takes place in the Library Park could possibly be as costly as the traditional parade (or more) but lacks any beneficial community impact. I understand the kids stand in line for a long time waiting for a short stint on a carnie like ride and then into the more time in line for the possibility of getting a hot dog. I listen to the constant blaring of police sirens for the past two years  racing around town and think to myself, I don't remember hearing sirens when all were gathered watching the annual Halloween Parade? It was a peaceful, fun filled event for the most part. I would be curious to compare two aspects with town officials. Number one, what are the costs comparisons  of annual traditional parade vs. the event in the Library Park and secondly the number of police responses required on October 31st going back perhaps 10 years. I think many people miss the camaraderie  and community involvement that took place every year,  from the school children who would get out of a class or two to decorate their school floats to the seniors who would lovingly line the streets or ride on the senior float to the many out of Towners who would come join in what was a very special gathering of very special people in a very special community. There were some very interesting groups that would come partake in the parade over the years and the present day celebration just completely lacks any spirit , historic impact or just plain community pride that this town was built on. If you agree, let your voice be heard and maybe,  just maybe the tradition could resume. Maybe not in the magnitude of the past initially, but like anything else could regain momentum and become something I and many I know could be proud of and to say "yes, I'm from Harrison" and yes we have one of the best parades in the state.

Town governments cannot support religious based activities. Haven't you been listening to Paul LaClair.

Mary,

In spite of the snide remarks from some of the less informed and in spite of the fact I'm no longer a resident of Harrison, I totally agree with you and your feeling re:the parade. As a young man I always enjoyed the festivities and as a young parent I really enjoyed the excitement my children expressed when I'd mention the Halloween parade was in the near future. I know it's impossible to turn the clock back to those simpler days but perhaps a small thing like a parade could open eyes to chance that maybe we can.

Remember the window decorating contest that was also a part of Halloween?

where are you from?  the town has not money, the town has not valatiers, the town has not joe supor trucks to ride on the avenue, that was the only thing in the parade in the last few years, AND YOU EXPECT TO HAVE A PARADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thinking seems limited. You don't need excessive amounts of money or Supors trucks, what you need is determination. The parade could consist simply of the children marching down Harrison Ave as I'm sure it began long ago and grow from there. Besides whom do you think pays for the present festivities in the Park?

ps / if you are going to be vicious and ridiculing at least have the balls to sign your name please.

Mary

Mary,

In spite of the snide remarks from some of the less informed and in spite of the fact I'm no longer a resident of Harrison, I totally agree with you and your feeling re:the parade. As a young man I always enjoyed the festivities and as a young parent I really enjoyed the excitement my children expressed when I'd mention the Halloween parade was in the near future. I know it's impossible to turn the clock back to those simpler days but perhaps a small thing like a parade could open eyes to chance that maybe we can.

Remember the window decorating contest that was also a part of Halloween?

Dear Exbluetider, thank you for your sediments. Perhaps in the future the parade will be possible once again. I have been meaning to applaud you on your inquiry sometime ago re; recruits at QP. It broaches a subject that many are aware of and bitter about but what can one do? These waters run much deeper than you know. I'm a firm believer that karma comes back around and I’ll just sit and wait.

The thinking seems limited. You don't need excessive amounts of money or Supors trucks, what you need is determination. The parade could consist simply of the children marching down Harrison Ave as I'm sure it began long ago and grow from there. Besides whom do you think pays for the present festivities in the Park? 

ps / if you are going to be vicious and ridiculing at least have the balls to sign your name please.

Mary

The teachers don't leave in town anymore, when the children were in the parade, it was a must the schools participation, it was a must that the teachers had to make sure the children were line up by the schools and the teachers marched with their classroom along the avenue, and it was really something to be proud, at this moment it will not happen.

Dear Exbluetider, thank you for your sediments. Perhaps in the future the parade will be possible once again. I have been meaning to applaud you on your inquiry sometime ago re; recruits at QP. It broaches a subject that many are aware of and bitter about but what can one do? These waters run much deeper than you know.  I'm a firm believer that karma comes back around and I’ll just sit and wait.

Thank you for the compliment. Some were not so kind. From some of the results I've seen and the turmoil at QP would indicate that the karma might have already turned.

Guest Racey GRACEy

Well, Mary, I don't know if you are aware of this but Larry Bennett has tried for several years to get the parade back in town. He would be given permission to do it but then the most honorable Mr. Mayor would turn around and give 12 different reasons as to why he couldn't do it. It's certainly not going to be done this year either. That is something that needs to be planned out a year ahead of time. There just isn't enough time now. Not that it matters. They're going to give it to councilman Villalta to run that disaster in the park again. He'll screw it up again and just in time for election. Hopefully between the halloween disaster and the disgraceful cancellation of the 9/11 ceremony Mr. Villalta and Ms. Mandaglio will be out on their behinds and the 2 Maria's will be in. Then the tide will start to turn. I think we will begin to see major changes. I for one can't wait to exercise my right to vote.

Well, Mary, I don't know if you are aware of this but Larry Bennett has tried for several years to get the parade back in town.  He would be given permission to do it but then the most honorable Mr. Mayor would turn around and give 12 different reasons as to why he couldn't do it.  It's certainly not going to be done this year either.  That is something that needs to be planned out a year ahead of time.  There just isn't enough time now.  Not that it matters.  They're going to give it to councilman Villalta to run that disaster in the park again.  He'll screw it up again and just in time for election. Hopefully between the halloween disaster and the disgraceful cancellation of the 9/11 ceremony Mr. Villalta and Ms. Mandaglio will be out on their behinds and the 2 Maria's will be in.  Then the tide will start to turn.  I think we will begin to see major changes.  I for one can't wait to exercise my right to vote.

Come on down to Toms River on Oct 31St for the 2nd largest Halloween Parade in the nation with 6,000 marchers and 100,000 spectators. It's been going on for 60 years. Lets face it, Harrison is a depressed area and its bankrupt so how can they afford a parade. I'm glad I live on LBI. :unsure:

Come on down to Toms River on Oct 31St for the 2nd largest Halloween Parade in the nation with 6,000 marchers and 100,000 spectators. It's been going on for 60 years. Lets face it, Harrison is a depressed area and its bankrupt so how can they afford a parade. I'm glad I live on LBI. :lol:

I have the same fond memories. But you now are going back to old days when Mayor Rodgers had full control of this town. He did not let any riff raff live here. Nor were they allowed to walk in out town. I remenber when the police would stop anyone that was'nt light colored enough and would follow them out of the town. That was also when the police walked a beet. That is why you don't remember any

trouble going on. The worse thing was toilet paper in you tree on mischief night. Come on! This town has changed! The people in it has changed!

I have the same fond memories.  But you now are going back to old days when Mayor Rodgers had full control of this town.  He did not let any riff raff live here.  Nor were they allowed to walk in out town.  I remenber when the police would stop anyone that was'nt light colored enough and would follow them out of the town.  That was also when the police walked a beet.  That is why you don't remember any

trouble going on.  The worse thing was toilet paper in you tree on mischief night.  Come on!  This town has changed!  The people in it has changed!

NOTHING IS FOREVER. THE WHOLE WORLD HAS CHANGED. GET INTO THE FUTURE AND GIVE UP LOOKING BACK AT THE PAST. iT AIN'T GOING TO COME BACK THE WAY IT USED TO. LBI IS VERY NICE THIS TIME OF YEAR. YOU SHOULD TRY IT.

I have the same fond memories.  But you now are going back to old days when Mayor Rodgers had full control of this town.  He did not let any riff raff live here.  Nor were they allowed to walk in out town.  I remenber when the police would stop anyone that was'nt light colored enough and would follow them out of the town.  That was also when the police walked a beet.  That is why you don't remember any

trouble going on.  The worse thing was toilet paper in you tree on mischief night.  Come on!  This town has changed!  The people in it has changed!

I'm not that old sorry. I don't remember much of Mayor Rodgers.

NOTHING IS FOREVER. THE WHOLE WORLD HAS CHANGED. GET INTO THE FUTURE AND GIVE UP LOOKING BACK AT THE PAST. iT AIN'T GOING TO COME BACK THE WAY IT USED TO. LBI IS VERY NICE THIS TIME OF YEAR. YOU SHOULD TRY IT.

The problem seems to me to be that we so easily let traditions fall by the way side. Traditions need to be carried on if we want our children and our children's children to have a sense of belonging. That seems to be the problem as I see it. Not belonging. Many kids feel lost and find themselves involved in things /people that bring harm to themselves and others simply because they long to belong to something. To count. With the practice of traditions / customs the sense of belonging is a natural by product especially when it involves an entire community.

I think it's disgusting that ANYONE would judge a persons character on the color of their skin then or now. Simple minded if you ask me. I was raised never to judge anyone by anything other than a show of ignorance or self grandeur. Change can be beneficial obviously.