National disgrace

Guest Uncle Sam

I love all the parties and politicians! My favorite was Tip O'Neil. He summed it all up when he said "All politics is local."

Translated:          Not for you Realist but for those less educated.

The local politicians make or break those above.

Jon Corzine does not need enemies as long as he has Santoes and his crowd.

Have a good day! I hope, you read Tips book.

Tip O'Neill? The quintessential Democrat! He's long been one of my heroes; one of the reasons I'm so damned Democratic. I actually met him once. What a man!

I've read: A Man In The House; All Politics Is Local: And Other Rules Of The Game; many of his opinions on civil rights, Viet Nam and just about anything I can get my hands on.

O'Neill (notice the spelling) admired intelligence, education, honesty and courage. I have no doubt that he would have liked and supported Al Santos.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realist steadfast! He would support anyone as long as he was an Democrat.

[/quote

I don't suppose you would even come close to knowing why that is true. Let me enlighten you.

About a hundred years ago, when I was a kid, I became intrigued by politics and government. I read and observed; went to college and took poli-sci courses; followed the careers of politicians I admired. I found that my social and political philosophy and that of the Democratic Party were not only compatable, but a very comfortable fit. That has never changed.

On the other hand, I cannot think of one notable Republican to whom I felt politically connected or to whom I could relate on political matters. That is not to say that some were not good, intelligent and decent people; but their collective historical approach to government and their perspective on social issues just doesn't excite me. To vote Republican, for me, would be the height of hypocrisy.

My political affiliation is to my patriotism, what my religion is to my salvation. It is my responsibility to learn about it, to be loyal to it, and to use it to a greater end.

About a hundred years ago, when I was a kid, I became intrigued by politics and government. I read and observed; went to college and took poli-sci courses; followed the careers of politicians I admired. I found that my social and political philosophy and that of the Democratic Party were not only compatable, but a very comfortable fit. That has never changed.

On the other hand, I cannot think of one notable Republican to whom I felt politically connected or to whom I could relate on political matters. That is not to say that some were not good, intelligent and decent people; but their collective historical approach to government and their perspective on social issues just doesn't excite me. To vote Republican, for me, would be the height of hypocrisy.

My political affiliation is to my patriotism, what my religion is to my salvation. It is my responsibility to learn about it, to be loyal to it, and to use it to a greater end.

can't you just hear the battle hymn of the republic playing in the background?

can't you just hear the battle hymn of the republic playing in the background?

More like al Qaeda's Battle Hymn

The Kearny Democrats and Hudson Democrats are failing to support GUYS!

VOTE REPUBLICAN VOTE FOR FORRESTER AND WRITE IN MANGIN

• 2 weeks later...
One question for you, Mr Realist, going back to when Mr Santos was a councilman (and yes, i realize this is a different topic), I was at the meeting, when all of the Town contracts were settled, after years of the Vartan/Czech cabal refusing to negotiate, when your man said plainly that "NEver Again" would the town put itself in the position to have to pay out millions of dollars in Retroactive Pay, by not negotiating in good faith with it's workers.  Yet, Now, after upwards of 5 years for the KFD officers (For a grand sum total of approx $1.7 Million), and a year and a Half for the PD (and the $ goes up every day since they havent implemented the new contract), WHO is to blame for this situation?  Obviously the Town Administrator is the key figure, since he's the one who negotiates (or not in these cases) on behaf of the town, but Doesnt he Work FOR the Mayor and Council??? Don't the Mayor and Council have oversight on his activites, and the Ability to tell him Enough is Enough, settle this???  Of course Santos et al will blame the employees, as he always does, but if the workers are negotiating in good faith, and the town isnt, who is really at fault here???

Since Al Santos has been Mayor the Town has budgeted over $1.5 million in a Salary Adjustment line to pay for retro pay increases. That's the good news.

The bad news is that at this point in time I don't think anyone can give a definative answer on just how much (if any) of that $1.5 million is still available. Budget line items lapse after two years unless the money is placed in some kind of trust fund. I've never seen anything like a Salary Trust Fund. And believe me, I've looked.

We fell into the same trap with retro pay that many people (myself included) criticized Mayor Vartan for. Why?

A good place to start when looking for an answer is to see who benefits when negotiations drag on. The simple answer is - the lawyers. That's why in 2004 I voted against hiring another Assistant Town Attorney to handle contract negotiations. The longer negotiations drag on, the more money they make.

And just who is to blame?

S&O said it better than me. That buck stops with the Mayor and Council.

Problem is - it's a lot more than a buck.

Jim Mangin

Since Al Santos has been Mayor the Town has budgeted over $1.5 million in a Salary Adjustment line to pay for retro pay increases. That's the good news.

The bad news is that at this point in time I don't think anyone can give a definative answer on just how much (if any) of that $1.5 million is still available. Budget line items lapse after two years unless the money is placed in some kind of trust fund. I've never seen anything like a Salary Trust Fund. And believe me, I've looked.

<Snip>

Jim Mangin

Was that 1.5 Million for ALL of the Retro pay, or just the Fire Officers Jim??? the 5-year wait for the Captains will go WAY beyond that amount, and we still have the PD to settle up with. Since you were on the council, WHAT exactly was the cause for that wait anyway?? Noone has ever explained that to me, What was the FD officer's request that was so completely ridiculous that this has dragged on for so long...Giving ARealist the benefit of the doubt that of COURSE it couldnt be Team Santos, that was holding things up.

Was that 1.5 Million for ALL of the Retro pay, or just the Fire Officers Jim??? the 5-year wait for the Captains will go WAY beyond that amount, and we still have the PD to settle up with.  Since you were on the council, WHAT exactly was the cause for that wait anyway??  Noone has ever explained that to me,  What was the FD officer's request that was so completely ridiculous that this has dragged on for so long...Giving ARealist the benefit of the doubt that of COURSE it couldnt be Team Santos, that was holding things up.

The Salary Adjustment line in the budget I referred to is for all retro pay - Police, Fire, CS11.

The 5 year wait is ridiculous. To answer your question fully (and it keep myself out of trouble) let me check my notes and I'll answer in another post. You asked what was the officers' request that caused the hold-up. If it was a request (and at this point I don't know if it was) it would be improper for me to disclose it here. There are, of course, two sides to every story which always leads to two versions. I'll provide whatever facts I can and leave it to people to make up their own minds as to who is at fault for the 5 year wait. Everyone has the right to know at least that much.

Jim Mangin

Was that 1.5 Million for ALL of the Retro pay, or just the Fire Officers Jim??? the 5-year wait for the Captains will go WAY beyond that amount, and we still have the PD to settle up with.  Since you were on the council, WHAT exactly was the cause for that wait anyway??  Noone has ever explained that to me,  What was the FD officer's request that was so completely ridiculous that this has dragged on for so long...Giving ARealist the benefit of the doubt that of COURSE it couldnt be Team Santos, that was holding things up.

What do you think is the major obstacle in almost every contract negotiation? Money, of course. If the town had settled any sooner, at the rate of increase the union was standing firm on, you'd be looking at a MUCH LARGER retro amount...regardless of the shorter time frame.

What do you think is the major obstacle in almost every contract negotiation? Money, of course. If the town had settled any sooner, at the rate of increase the union was standing firm on, you'd be looking at a MUCH LARGER retro amount...regardless of the shorter time frame.

Combine the money saved above with that saved by not fixing the sewer problem correctly and by screwing our employees in the reserves. It is a savings!

We should be able to radically cut taxes or just send enough money across the river to pay for Mayor Al's new job. Which will it be?

Politics Ya Gotta Laugh

Not!

Archived