Recreation Department

Guest concerned taxpayer

Guest concerned taxpayer

It has been posted before, but it never gets explained, why are there 2 (TWO) Recreation Directors? I won't even get into the fact that one of them (**) is severely underqualified and is a product of a past political appointee by a mayor who has since been accused of other improprieties. Not only is this never explained, can someone actually do anything about this?

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

It has been posted before, but it never gets explained, why are there 2 (TWO) Recreation Directors? I won't even get into the fact that one of them (**) is severely underqualified and is a product of a past political appointee by a mayor who has since been accused of other improprieties. Not only is this never explained, can someone actually do anything about this?

Please get the facts straight.

There is one Superintendent of Recreation and one Assistant Recreation Supervisor.

Neither one is underqualified as I believe the ARS has attained his Recreation Superintendent certificate.

Guest concerned

<_< I have answered this question before, but the editor didn't post my response hummmmmmmmm?

Anyway there is one(1) director (town hall), and one (1) asst. supervisor (town hall) then the working supervisor and his crew (DPW), lets see if this gets posted

;) I have answered this question before, but the editor didn't post my response hummmmmmmmm?

Anyway there is one(1) director (town hall),  and one (1) asst. supervisor (town hall) then the working supervisor and his crew (DPW), lets see if this gets posted

But only one of them run things (into the ground). We need fresh blood in the Recreation Dept.

P.S. the DPW does a great job.

But only one of them run things (into the ground). We need fresh blood in the Recreation Dept.

P.S. the DPW does a great job.

WHY?

Specifics please.

The town has its Rec Dept. DIRECTOR and his assistant (asst. director). Have any of you ever run a recreation department? Do you know the amount of work involved? Better yet do you think you could do the job? By yourself? I'm not involved on this end of it but I know first hand from the other end that it is a very consuming job. Don't argue it here. Take it to the place that can make a change. Prove that these people are under-performing and deliver yourself or another as a quality replacement and effect change. If this is all just a personality/political issue as I think it is, well, see the above or go away.

WHY?

Specifics please.

The town has its Rec Dept. DIRECTOR and his assistant (asst. director).  Have any of you ever run a recreation department? Do you know the amount of work involved? Better yet do you think you could do the job? By yourself?  I'm not involved on this end of it but I know first hand from the other end that it is a very consuming job.  Don't argue it here.  Take it to the place that can make a change.  Prove that these people are under-performing and deliver yourself or another as a quality replacement and effect change. If this is all just a personality/political issue as I think it is, well, see the above or go away.

Oh Please! the director sits in there and says nothing and collects a check! the assistant director has power issues and many people who actually volunteer in this town have to put up with the presure that comes from that office and the ard that many people are just not volunterring anymore. we all kmow dearco runs the town santos is a puppet and really doesnt care. the recreation dept seriously needs to stop bullying the people who dedicate there time and let the programs run themselves because in the town of kearny doesnt have a rec dept. can can fully run and staff these programs. and as for the rec commision what a joke of people that dont know anything about sports! i will say maybe three of them actually volunteer in sports in this town and the rest are secretarys. so if you want the programs to work than stay out of them unless they request your help!!! you maybe able to plan a parade but in no way can you run sports!!!!!

Oh Please! the director sits in there and says nothing and collects a check! the assistant director has power issues and many people who actually volunteer in this town have to put up with the presure that comes from that office and the ard that many people are just not volunterring anymore. we all kmow dearco runs the town santos is a puppet and really doesnt care. the recreation dept seriously needs to stop bullying the people who dedicate there time and let the programs run themselves because in the town of kearny doesnt have a rec dept. can can fully run and staff these programs. and as for the rec commision what a joke of people that dont know anything about sports! i will say maybe three of them actually volunteer in sports in this town and the rest are secretarys. so if you want the programs to work than stay out of them unless they request your help!!! you maybe able to plan a parade but in no way can you run sports!!!!!

I agree, I just wanted specifics. But take it from me (or don't), I've been involved in rec programs for no less than 6 towns and they are all the same. Like any bureaucracy - over the top incompetence, arrogance and the political backing that keeps them in place and allows them to ruin program after program. You end up frustrated, aggravated, angry and then you walk away and the kids you are trying to serve lose out - again. The parents of these children need to organize and demand that these clowns do the job right or get replaced. Easier said than done I know but it has to start somewhere and sometime. The problem is by the time change is made, their kids (and mine for that matter, maybe yours?) have grown out of any of the programs. Who is going to stick around to finish the job?

:huh: That may be true, but are you willing to go down to all the fields in town and till, fertilize, seed and maintain all the fields? then make sure that everyday the lines are painted and the fields are ready for play? Clean the bathrooms, make repairs to the fences and the field houses? this takes alot of work, maybe the guys at town hall don't do it but there are others who do, and I think that they deserve some type of recognition for that. As far as bullying I don't know about that but I do know that when a field is not ready to be played on and a coach lets his players practice on it, who suffers ? the kids who are scheduled to play there. The people in the recreation dept. don't know about sports. They are there to put schedules together and make sure that each and every team has a field when it's needed, they also oversee the maintainence of the fields and order all the equipment needed as per the coaching staff, they make sure that there are not two teams sceduled to play at the same time on the same field, so yes they do manage to get alittle work done, let me see the volunteers for that!

:huh: That may be true, but are you willing to go down to all the fields in town and till, fertilize, seed and maintain all the fields? then make sure that everyday the lines are painted and the fields are ready for play? Clean the bathrooms, make repairs to the fences and the field houses? this takes alot of work, maybe the guys at town hall don't do it but there are others who do, and I think that they deserve some type of recognition for that. As far as bullying I don't know about that but I do know that when a field is not ready to be played on and a coach lets his players practice on it, who suffers ? the kids who are scheduled to play there. The people in the recreation dept. don't know about sports. They are there to put schedules together and make sure that each and every team has a field when it's needed, they also oversee the maintainence of the fields and order all the equipment needed as per the coaching staff, they make sure that there are not two teams sceduled to play at the same time on the same field, so yes they do manage to get alittle work done, let me see the volunteers for that!

The field crews do a wonderful job and are very apprieciated by all the sports in Town. I must disagree with the purpose of the Rec Commission. They are not a group of assembled people who schedule as you say. They are on the highest power trip along with the asst. director. they do not do the ordering or maintaining schedule for fields. Their sole purpose should be to handle PARADE schedules, town field trips, ect. If you can't see they are a huge obstacle in the Rec dept then your blind. The fact that approvals for things must go through them is rediculous, what is the purpose of the Director and asst director then? Having to present your case in front of the "commission" and take an hour expaining the sport and how its ran is absurd. I truly hope things change before this town loses all the caring volunteers. There are dedicated people who coach and volunteer many hours, enough with the power trips and politics.

I agree, I just wanted specifics.  But take it from me (or don't), I've been involved  in rec programs for no less than 6 towns and they are all the same.  Like any bureaucracy - over the top incompetence, arrogance and the political backing that keeps them in place and allows them to ruin program after program.  You end up frustrated, aggravated, angry and then you walk away and the kids you are trying to serve lose out - again.  The parents of these children need to organize and demand that these clowns do the job right or get replaced.  Easier said than done I know but it has to start somewhere and sometime.  The problem is by the time change is made, their kids (and mine for that matter, maybe yours?)  have grown out of any of the programs. Who is going to stick around to finish the job?

The hands of good coaches are tied. As for the kids, parents can take them to another town to participate in a sport. When they lose enough kids maybe someones eyes will be opened.

WHY?

Specifics please.

The town has its Rec Dept. DIRECTOR and his assistant (asst. director).  Have any of you ever run a recreation department? Do you know the amount of work involved? Better yet do you think you could do the job? By yourself?  I'm not involved on this end of it but I know first hand from the other end that it is a very consuming job.  Don't argue it here.  Take it to the place that can make a change.  Prove that these people are under-performing and deliver yourself or another as a quality replacement and effect change. If this is all just a personality/political issue as I think it is, well, see the above or go away.

This is in no way personal, its fustration from seeing one sport after another go down. You ask if I could run the recreation department, alone. No, but neither can the director and asst director. The Rec Dept has decided to take over basically every sport. We've seen this past spring what a great idea it was for them to take over Pony League...now football! Nothing can be a success without dedicated volunteers, and the kids in this town are losing good people.

The field crews do a wonderful job and are very apprieciated by all the sports in Town. I must disagree with the purpose of the Rec Commission. They are not a group of assembled people who schedule as you say. They are on the highest power trip along with the asst. director. they do not do the ordering or maintaining schedule for fields. Their sole purpose should be to handle PARADE schedules, town field trips, ect. If you can't see they are a huge obstacle in the Rec dept then your blind. The fact that approvals for  things must go through them is rediculous, what is the purpose of the Director and asst director then? Having to present your case in front of the "commission" and take an hour expaining the sport and how its ran is absurd. I truly hope things change before this town loses all the caring volunteers. There are dedicated people who coach and volunteer many hours, enough with the power trips and politics.

B) My apologies, my comment was that of the way it should be, every season in every sport should have their rosters ready for assignment of fields and times. The Director and his assistant should then prepare a list so there are no game conflicts. I understand that the coaches are volunteers, but if they are told that the fields are not open for use then they should abide by that. And they don't, I see people going through holes in the fence when the gates are locked, they are locked for a reason, the field is not ready, also, we have to remember that there are non residents using our fields eg: Harvey Field so I agree that a commission of coaches meet with the recreation director and the recreation supervisor and put it all on the table and come up with a solution.

;) My apologies, my comment was that of the way it should be, every season in every sport should have their rosters ready for assignment of fields and times. The Director and his assistant should then prepare a list so there are no game conflicts. I understand that the coaches are volunteers, but if they are told that the fields are not open for use then they should abide by that. And they don't, I see people going through holes in the fence when the gates are locked, they are locked for a reason, the field is not ready, also, we have to remember that there are non residents using our fields eg: Harvey Field so I agree that a commission of coaches meet with the recreation director and the recreation supervisor and put it all on the table and come up with a solution.

THE IDEA IS A GOOD ONE! BUT IN ORDER FOR THAT TO HAPPEN THE REC DEPT AND COMMISION SHOULD MEET WITH ALL THE ORGANIZATIONS INVOLVED AT ONCE INSTEAD OF EACH ONE SEPARTATLY, BUT THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN BECAUSE UNTIL THE POWER TRIP IS OVER THEY WILL TRY TO RUN ALL OF THEM DOWN FOR THE PURPOSE OF TAKING THEM ALL OVER!!!! THE REC DEPT NEEDS TO STOP BELEIVING THAT THEY RUN EVERY SPORT IN TOWN AND LET THE QUALIFIED PEOPLE WHO RUN, ATTEND, AND PROVIDE THE SPORT FOR THE CHILDREN TO BECOME SUCCESFUL. THE ONLY REASON THEY WANT AN INTEREST IS BECAUSE OF THE MONEY.

;) My apologies, my comment was that of the way it should be, every season in every sport should have their rosters ready for assignment of fields and times. The Director and his assistant should then prepare a list so there are no game conflicts. I understand that the coaches are volunteers, but if they are told that the fields are not open for use then they should abide by that. And they don't, I see people going through holes in the fence when the gates are locked, they are locked for a reason, the field is not ready, also, we have to remember that there are non residents using our fields eg: Harvey Field so I agree that a commission of coaches meet with the recreation director and the recreation supervisor and put it all on the table and come up with a solution.

When there are people going through holes in the fences, they are not organized teams, they are people just wanting to use the field, when chased off, they leave. I believe soccer, baseball and softball work out their schedules pretty well. The Town knows what time of year each sport needs access to fields and they receive field time. I do believe that scheduling of fields are the towns responsiblility, but they need to back away from some of the every day running of the sport. example *** **** was a commited coach for many years with the football program, he was pushed out, why? Because of personality conflicts with the Rec Dept., just another sign of the power trip their on...what a shame.

THE IDEA IS A GOOD ONE! BUT IN ORDER FOR THAT TO HAPPEN THE REC DEPT AND COMMISION SHOULD MEET WITH ALL THE ORGANIZATIONS INVOLVED AT ONCE INSTEAD OF EACH ONE SEPARTATLY, BUT THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN BECAUSE UNTIL THE POWER TRIP IS OVER THEY WILL TRY TO RUN ALL OF THEM DOWN FOR THE PURPOSE OF TAKING THEM ALL OVER!!!! THE REC DEPT NEEDS TO STOP BELEIVING THAT THEY RUN EVERY SPORT IN TOWN AND LET THE QUALIFIED PEOPLE WHO RUN, ATTEND, AND PROVIDE THE SPORT FOR THE CHILDREN TO BECOME SUCCESFUL. THE ONLY REASON THEY WANT AN INTEREST IS BECAUSE OF THE MONEY.

as someone who has been involved in town recreation for decades let me say that this post is 1000% correct. the current administration which appoints the rec commissioners is the worst thing to happen to kearny recreation ever. mayor santos should appoint someone like pete cicchino to the commision just to get some credibility among the rec volunteers that are the back-bone of recreation. toward that end, count me among those calling for the mayor's recall.

The people involved in sports know what a hassle it is dealing with dumber and dumb and let's not forget D'Arco Because he plays a major part in all this. If you really want good play for your kids take them to the park and play ball. Show them how to have fun with the game and inter act with all the kids. Forget the league stuff and who's more important then who. just go play ball. To correct a statement in one of the posts, lets be clear D'Arco is the puppet and the Mayor pulls his strings. That's bankable.

;) The recreation commitee should be made up of a representative from each sport and ONE (1) representative from the town, and the supervisor of the recreation department (DPW). This way everything that each representative from each sport has to say about what is needed, for them to have a successful season, is known. The right hand has to inform the left hand of what they are doing, and they have to be in contact with each.I agree the fields are kept in great shape, but they work hard to do it. If you have a commission or commitee that has a personal interest in the recreation dept, then they will be more comitted than anyone else.

The field crews do a wonderful job and are very apprieciated by all the sports in Town. I must disagree with the purpose of the Rec Commission. They are not a group of assembled people who schedule as you say. They are on the highest power trip along with the asst. director. they do not do the ordering or maintaining schedule for fields. Their sole purpose should be to handle PARADE schedules, town field trips, ect. If you can't see they are a huge obstacle in the Rec dept then your blind. The fact that approvals for  things must go through them is rediculous, what is the purpose of the Director and asst director then? Having to present your case in front of the "commission" and take an hour expaining the sport and how its ran is absurd. I truly hope things change before this town loses all the caring volunteers. There are dedicated people who coach and volunteer many hours, enough with the power trips and politics.

I guess you didn't get what you wanted from the rec department so you to need to vent. The rec. commisssion is comprised of volunteers who give up many hours to a job that is thankless, due to the likes of people like you who can only complain and be bitter. As far as people sitting on the commission because it is a power high maybe you should see how many hours some of them have volunteered over the years for the rec programs in this town and how many battles they have been in over field conditions, and lack of programs. The commission is just a sounding board the final say in everthing is the town council. If you don't like what's going on go to a town council meeting and let them know you are unhappy with the power seeking rec people, seats for the commission will be up for appointment this year ask to be placed on the commission and then you see what it is like to deal with ungrateful people like you who think they know all.

Better yet why don't you tell the council to revamp the whole department from top to bottom, clean house maybe that will work and be sure you have your name right on top to lead the way in saving the volunteers of our community from the evil power mongers.

I guess you didn't get what you wanted from the rec department so you to need to vent. The rec. commisssion is comprised of volunteers who give up many hours to a job that is thankless, due to the likes of people like you who can only complain and be bitter. As far as people sitting on the commission because it is a power high maybe you should see how many hours some of them have volunteered over the years for the rec programs in this town and how many battles they have been in over field conditions, and lack of programs. The commission is just a sounding board the final say in everthing is the town council. If you don't like what's going on go to a town council meeting and let them know you are unhappy with the power seeking rec people, seats for the commission will be up for appointment this year ask to be placed on the commission and then you see what it is like to deal with ungrateful people like you who think they know all.

Better yet why don't you tell the council to revamp the whole department from top to bottom, clean house  maybe that will work and be sure you have your name right on top to lead the way in saving the volunteers of our community from the evil power mongers.

ok, so they volunteer. So do the men and women who donate many hours to the sports of this Town. The only difference is that the coaches know how the sport should run. YES the Town needs to tend to the care of the fields, they give permits for sports to use the fields. But let the leagues run the sports. They have Board members to vote on decisions as well. As someone said in an earlier post, when parents start taking their kids to other towns to play organized sports, maybe someone will see the flaws in the Recreation Department.

ok, so they volunteer. So do the men and women who donate many hours to the sports of this Town. The only difference is that the coaches know how the sport should run. YES the Town needs to tend to the care of the fields, they give permits for sports to use the fields. But let the leagues run the sports. They have Board members to vote on decisions as well. As someone said in an earlier post, when parents start taking their kids to other towns to play organized sports, maybe someone will see the flaws in the Recreation Department.

Look. Get rid of the entire Dept. and commission. keep the field crew and let the leagues run there own show. The town pays a director to run what? nothing that's what. His salary alone would pay for the programs and activities for the year and then some. And you wonder why your taxes are high. Let the mayor know you want that money for programs and for the field crews equipment and supplies. Then play ball.

Look. Get rid of the entire Dept. and commission. keep the field crew and let the leagues run there own show. The town pays a director to run what? nothing that's what. His salary alone would pay for the programs and activities for the year and then some. And you wonder why your taxes are high. Let the mayor know you want that money for programs and for the field crews equipment and supplies. Then play ball.

Finally!!!! someone else gets it. B)

Is there much interest in the new AAU league formed by previous coaches? :lol:

theres been lots of interest and hopefully the town will grant permits for them to operate because if they can give thistle fields why couldnt they give the blaze teams fields? they started with 14-15-16-19u teams and now will start a 13u team which many kearny kids will be playing on, you know children of tax payers in town who pay these salaries. so lets see what happens.

Guest Bruce Glass
Is there much interest in the new AAU league formed by previous coaches? :lol:

It is very simple eliminate the positions of Supt. and his assistant. There should be no office or interference with the leagues. The only remnant of the office left should be for the permit process. The leagues would submit a schedule of dates for field use before the season and that would be checked by the field crew supervisor and permit secretary. The above is what's needed it's that simple. Plus a large money savings for tax payers. People this is not rocket science. Do you really need a Supt. that runs parades only for the year?