Harrison Town Meeting

Guest TownMeetingObserver

Guest Guest

Yes, the taxes are going up. Additionally, if anyone attemps to expose Tom Powell for any alleged wrongdoing the town will hire the best lawyer they can to defend him and that will also be payed for by YOU, THE ALREADY OVERTAXED HOMEOWNER. Tom will continue to do whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Joe Dirt

Of course this whole situation is the will of Murry the Mayor. Ray is working on Murry's advice as usual. Now the grievance's will pile up and Murry will be called to reconcile each instance with the PBA. All the while making a considerable profit at an hourly wage. Who pays the tab? The Harrison Taxpayer. Ray !!! Wake up !!!! Murry is pulling your strings you MOPE !!! He isnt going to give you sound advice and take a pay cut. Use your head and not your temper. If the cops are upset, maybe there is a reason. Shouldnt you ask to speak with the Union president and try to ease the tension. Its my money your wasting on your pride!!! Resolve this situaton, Please !!!

Guest Joe Dirt

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 22 2004, 10:57 AM)

The mayor is a good man. He only promotes the best available candidates. If you are so unhappy with the towns structure and your job, then quit. The only ones that seem unhappy are the cops, and after that last ticket blitz the people must love you even more.

If you are so unhappy with the towns structure and your job, then quit. The only ones that seem unhappy are the cops,

You have just shown your ignorance. Can I also quit paying taxes ??? I think Not !!! This is more than a few promotions, its a spark that ignited a fire and damn is it gonna burn!!!! Mismanagement and closed door policies funded by public funds have put many a politician in JAIL. ( Leo Vartan make room, fluff a pillow for Ray) The police department arent the only unhappy employee's. The Town of Harrison is unhappy and they have been for years. Increasingly so is the Hispanic community who is largely misrepresented. How do you substantiate 73% of the towns people are of hispanic origin yet 96% of town employee's are caucasion predominantly of Italian or Irish decent. I never said Ray Mcdonough was a bad man, but he is a good ole boy taking care of his own. Problem is he has forgotten every citizen in the Town of Harrison are one of his own now that he is Mayor. Harrison needs to clean house and The Attorney Generals office is carrying the broom !!! Hold onto your hats, here it comes !!!

Guest One who cares
helpforharrison Posted: Mar 23 2004, 06:45 PM  Unregistered

i can assure the people of harrison that the april council meeting and CAUCUS will have many more people in attendance. but i also urge everyone that posts here and is currently unhappy with the direction our town has taken to join us there. there is no longer a reason to be afraid the majority of harrison is fed up. the numbers against the current regime are growing. together and only together as a unified voice can we right the ship and change the path for a better harrison. remember a mayor and council are civil servants put in ofiice to serve its people. the people do not bow to the wishes of its mayor and council. 

Mrs Clark

I wanna ask again, why have the meetings been moved to the third floor? I believe it's so they can make it more difficult for the people of Harrison to know whats going on in town. First they change the time, now they moved to a different room. Can someone answer me. TOMMY BOY I KNOW YOUR ON THIS SITE ALL THE TIME, CAN YOU ANSWER THIS?!?!

We should pack that room and take part of these town meetings. If we are a little intimidated to talk at the meeting. Lets discuss it here, but lets go. That's to all the PD, FD, and tax payers of the town of Harrison. The only question I have is when is the next town Meeting?

Guest Try this on for size

Where are the Re-Development meeting's held and how come they are not public? Is there minutes taken? Who is involved in these deals? Why was'nt a referendum posted for the Metro Star Stadium, it is my tax money being used? Something fishy is going on and I wan't answers.

:P Well they used to be posted as soon as you enter the town hall, on the right hand side, but who knows..; Last time I looked they weren't there and I was told we'll we had to change it, but they will be posted..?? :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest Harrison Resident

I am sick and tired of hearing that the Hispanic people of Harrison are being misrepresented. Harrison's population is mostly hispanic and they are being catered to hand and foot. They come to this country take jobs away from US citizens, mind you the majority of them never become citizens. 90% of them who are homeowners have illegal apartments in their homes and nothing seems to be done about this. As a homeowner in town I am sick and tired of these people collecting 3 and 4 rents on their ILLEGAL APARTMENTS and paying the same amount of property taxes as I am on my two family home (I am only collecting one rent).

When these people decide to move out of town, for some ungodly reason their children still attend the Harrison Schools at the taxpayers expense. I would like to know why some children are booted out of the school system and others are allowed to stay. I myself have made complaints to the powers that be about students attending the Harrison school system and for some reason they are still attending Harrison schools and are no longer residents.

HARRISON RESIDENTS, WHO ARE AMERICANS, IT IS TIME WE TOOK OUR TOWN BACK FROM THE HISPANIC COMMUNITY.

Guest Guest
I am sick and tired of hearing that the Hispanic people of Harrison are being misrepresented. Harrison's population is mostly hispanic and they are being catered to hand and foot. They come to this country take jobs away from US citizens, mind you the majority of them never become citizens. 90% of them who are homeowners have illegal apartments in their homes and nothing seems to be done about this. As a homeowner in town I am sick and tired of these people collecting 3 and 4 rents on their ILLEGAL APARTMENTS and paying the same amount of property taxes as I am on my two family home (I am only collecting one rent).

When these people decide to move out of town, for some ungodly reason their children still attend the Harrison Schools at the taxpayers expense. I would like to know why some children are booted out of the school system and others are allowed to stay. I myself have made complaints to the powers that be about students attending the Harrison school system and for some reason they are still attending Harrison schools and are no longer residents.

HARRISON RESIDENTS, WHO ARE AMERICANS, IT IS TIME WE TOOK OUR TOWN BACK FROM THE HISPANIC COMMUNITY.

the last a$$hole I heard speak like that was my friend Tommy Boy, Who is affraid to work with them. Thats why he hated milan so much. The rest of the american residents, including half the council are to much of a drunk and need the help of others to get a job. Inever heard a spic say he wouldn't clean a toilet for a buck. So these spics come to this country to better their lives, their is $h*t in every race A$$Ho!e

Guest Guest

Racist people like you are what is ruining this country. You say"I AM A HOMEOWNER." Who cares? Nobody! You are not the worst of what Harrison represents, you are the worst of what the human race represents. I am a white man and I am not racist like you because I grew up learning to respect all people, not just white people. There is plenty of white trash out there, like you for instance. You think people want to live 10 to an apartment. I bet your ancestors, maybe even your own parents lived in tough times and broke there back to raise a family as best they could. Too bad you turned out to be such a piece of garbage. If you are so strong in your convictions, say something to someone who in your eyes is is not white or equal to you. People become strong when they work hard for a living. So you soft coward, one day I guarentee you say the wrong thing around someone who takes offense to your remarks and then you can hope the emergency room doctor who is treating you is white. SICKO!!!!

Guest Guest

HOW BORING WAS THIS LAST MEETING?? I THINK EVEN SOME OF THE COUNCIL WERE FALLING ASLEEP. WE NEED SOMEONE TO CUT THE STRINGS OFF THESE PUPPETS!!!!!!!! :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest_Guest

Where is Millan? Haven't seen him at any meetings! Has he packed it up and walked away. I"LL BE BACK. :ph34r: serves him right to go against the hands that fed him, weather they are right or wrong. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Let the sunshine in

LETTING THE SUNSHINE IN

A GUIDE TO THE NEW JERSEY OPEN PUBLIC MEETINGS ACT

TO WHOM DOES THE OPEN PUBLIC MEETINGS LAW APPLY?

The Law applies to any public body on the state, county, or municipal level of government that has legal authority to vote on public matters or to spend public funds.

The public body may exclude the public only from portions of a meeting known as the "executive" or "closed session." Prior to excluding the public, the public body must first adopt a resolution at a meeting which is open to the public indicating generally what matters will be discussed in closed session and when these discussions will be disclosed to the public. The following items are permitted to be discussed in closed session:

Any matter considered confidential by federal law, state statute, or court rule;

Any matter in which the release of information would impair the receipt of federal funds;

Any material which would constitute an unwarranted invasion of individual privacy if disclosed;

Any collective bargaining agreements or other discussion of the terms and conditions of a collective bargaining agreement, including negotiations leading up to such an agreement;

Any matter involving the purchase, lease or acquisition of real property with public funds, the setting of banking rates or investment of public funds where disclosure of such matter could adversely affect the public interest;

Any tactics and techniques used in protecting the safety and property of the public and investigations of violations or possible violations of the law;

Any pending or anticipated litigation or contract negotiations in which the public body is or may become a party, and any matter falling within the attorney-client privilege, to the extent that confidentiality is required to preserve the attorney-client relationship;

Personnel matters related to the employment, appointment or termination of current or prospective employees, unless all individuals who could be adversely affected request, in writing, that the matter be discussed at a public meeting;

Any deliberations of a public body occurring after a public hearing that may result in the imposition of a fine upon an individual or the suspension or the loss of license or permit belonging to an individual. The New Jersey courts have recognized the potential for misuse of the closed session exceptions by public bodies and have, therefore, strictly construed these exceptions in an effort to further the legislative intent of providing open public meetings in most instances.

Minutes

The Law requires the public body to keep reasonably comprehensible minutes of all its meetings, showing the time and place, the members present, the subjects considered, the actions taken, the vote of each member and any other information required by law to be recorded by minutes. These minutes are to be made promptly available to the public.

In addition, the Law requires that a statement be entered into the minutes at the outset of each meeting indicating (1) that adequate notice has been provided (specifying the time, date, and manner in which the notice was provided), or (2) that adequate notice was not provided and an explanation for the failure of public body to provide adequate notice.

WHAT CAN A CITIZEN DO IF A PUBLIC BODY VIOLATES THE OPEN PUBLIC MEETINGS LAW?

The Law permits any person to file a lawsuit in New Jersey Superior Court to invalidate any action taken by a public body at a meeting which violates the Open Public Meetings Law. The lawsuit must be brought within 45 days after the public body's action sought to be nullified has been made public. In addition, any person may apply to New Jersey Superior Court for an injunction or other judicial relief to insure future compliance with the Law.

Citizens may also complain to the County Prosecutor or the Attorney General about possible violations of the Law and these officials may seek enforcement of the penalty section against any person who knowingly violates the Law. The penalty section provides for fines of $100 for the first offense, and between $100 and $500 for any subsequent offenses.

Guest Guest

Mr. Steven Adler seems to be a thorn in this council’s side, but is he only one thorn in a bush????? ;)

Quick meeting guys, what happened??

AND I can not believe that someone, a tax payer, a property owner, can approach the council and have such a complaint, but have no one on the council respond to him??? How pathetic!!