Kearny Employees

Guest FYI

This is in reference to the article that appeared today in the Kearny Journal. I would just like to make a comment. I would like to inform the people of one thing, I have a family member,who is a town employee and they own a home in Kearny, They also got a tax increase larger than any raise that he could have rec'd. from the town. If you deduct what they pay in taxes take $7,000.00 off his salary right off the top, and he really didn't get a thing. I know for a fact that he makes under $65,000.00 and after taxes and property taxes and mortgage there is really nothing extra, he works hard at his job for over twenty years and will continue to work hard until retirement, so if that little increase caused the taxes to go up, then he achieved nothing. And should not be one of the scapegoats.

This is in reference to the article that appeared today in the Kearny Journal. I would just like to make a comment. I would like to inform the people of one thing, I have a family member,who is a town employee and they own a home in Kearny, They also got a tax increase larger than any raise that he could have rec'd. from the town. If you deduct what they pay in taxes take $7,000.00 off his salary right off the top, and he really didn't get a thing. I know for a fact that he makes under $65,000.00 and after taxes and property taxes and mortgage there is really nothing extra, he works hard at his job for over twenty years and will continue to work hard until retirement, so if that little increase caused the taxes to go up, then he achieved nothing. And should not be one of the scapegoats.

Now it's time to come into reality. Most towns are over staffed and the workers produce very little in comparison to their salaries. When private businesses are run this way they usually don't last very long.

Guest Guest_taxpayer_*
Explain this; Why do we have 2 (YES TWO!) Recreation Directors? And worse yet, why is nothing being done about it?

Ask Santos! Things will never change until we wake up and get rid of this guy.I think he should leave office.

Guest Gwashington
Now it's time to come into reality.  Most towns are over staffed and the workers produce very little in comparison to their salaries.  When private businesses are run this way they usually don't last very long.

Start at the top town can save a lot if D'Arco was fired , then maybe all the legal bills will be lower.

Of course, anonymous guest, you can prove your statement?

The proof as they say is in the pudding. If you are satisfied with the services you get for the taxes you pay then I'm glad for you.

Something tells me Bern is a civil servant.

The proof as they say is in the pudding.  If you are satisfied with the services you get for the taxes you pay then I'm glad for you.

Something tells me Bern is a civil servant.

No. But usually the regular workers do work for their pay.

The ones you need to watch are the politically connected. They're always in the paper - the politician who has three jobs, where usually one of the jobs is something like county roads supervisor paying 100,000.

I think taxes are way to high. Its too bad I don't have the almanac anymore, and this was 20 years ago, but it listed a table of national income and another table of tax revenues both Federal and State. The tax revenue then was 55% of national income

You may think that seems way to high, we're not paying that but actually you are. We're very clever in breaking taxes up into so many categories.

Example - suppose you buy a pair of shoes that cost $100 in New York City. If they still have sales tax on shoes you would have to pay a little over $108 dollars. But depending on your income, you need to be paid $150 to be able to get $108 of spending income after State and Federal income taxes and social security taxes are applied.

But the $100 pair of shoes, really costs $70. The $30 added on is due to taxes paid by the shoe part supplier, manufacturer and retailer.

And that is how your shoes that cost $70 if there were no taxes cost you $150 with taxes.

No. But usually the regular workers do work for their pay.

The ones you need to watch are the politically connected. They're always in the paper - the politician who has three jobs, where usually one of the jobs is something like county roads supervisor paying 100,000.

I think taxes are way to high. Its too bad I don't have the almanac anymore, and this was 20 years ago, but it listed a table of national income and another table of tax revenues both Federal and State. The tax revenue then was 55% of national income

You may think that seems way to high, we're not paying that but actually you are. We're very clever in breaking taxes up into so many categories.

Example - suppose you buy a pair of shoes that cost $100 in New York City. If they still have sales tax on shoes you would have to pay a little over $108 dollars. But depending on your income, you need to be paid $150 to be able to get $108 of spending income after State and Federal income taxes and social security taxes are applied.

But the $100 pair of shoes, really costs $70. The $30 added on is due to taxes paid by the shoe part supplier, manufacturer and retailer.

And that is how your shoes that cost $70 if there were no taxes cost you $150 with taxes.

They work for their pay? What town do you live in? I'm moving there.

• 2 months later...
'nuff said

63130[/snapback]

no,nuff not said .get rid of *****,******,******** town would save over $200,000.00 dollars a year.They could use that $200,000.00 DOLLARS for something better than 3 IDIOTS

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

why do we have a water department and a MUA when one could do both jobs.????

72173[/snapback]

Their trying to do that. If they get their way the good times will really roll. Be careful for what you wish for.

62967[/snapback]

To you and your family member, there are many working hard in the private sector who have not gotten raises for several years, who do not make nearly $65,000, who have to pay for their own health care, who will not be receiving a retirement pension for life, and who do not have the job security of a town job. And their taxes went up as well. Why? Because those who are making $65,000 and more, who have lifetime health care, lifetime pension benefits and job security just got a raise that offset a portion (if not all) of their taxes (thus raising taxes for others). I suggest that his raise achieved something as it offset a portion of his tax liability, increased his wage base for determining his lifetime pension benefit, increased his earnings for determining his future social security benefit, and likely affected other fringe benefits afforded town workers. Whether or not anyone likes it, the town payroll affects taxes. And because they are part of the problem, reviewing whether cuts are appropriate should at least be considered as a solution. Your family member may be a great employee. But ask him privately, and I am sure he can easily name a half-dozen other town employees not worth their salt.

Guest Guest_Taxpayer_*
To you and your family member, there are many working hard in the private sector who have not gotten raises for several years, who do not make nearly $65,000, who have to pay for their own health care, who will not be receiving a retirement pension for life, and who do not have the job security of a town job.  And their taxes went up as well.  Why?  Because those who are making $65,000 and more, who have lifetime health care, lifetime pension benefits and job security just got a raise that offset a portion (if not all) of their taxes (thus raising taxes for others).  I suggest that his raise achieved something as it offset a portion of his tax liability, increased his wage base for determining his lifetime pension benefit, increased his earnings for determining his future social security benefit, and likely affected other fringe benefits afforded town workers.  Whether or not anyone likes it, the town payroll affects taxes.  And because they are part of the problem, reviewing whether cuts are appropriate should at least be considered as a solution.  Your family member may be a great employee.  But ask him privately, and I am sure he can easily name a half-dozen other town employees not worth their salt.

73637[/snapback]

Well spoken without being disrespectful.

To you and your family member, there are many working hard in the private sector who have not gotten raises for several years, who do not make nearly $65,000, who have to pay for their own health care, who will not be receiving a retirement pension for life, and who do not have the job security of a town job.  And their taxes went up as well.  Why?  Because those who are making $65,000 and more, who have lifetime health care, lifetime pension benefits and job security just got a raise that offset a portion (if not all) of their taxes (thus raising taxes for others).  I suggest that his raise achieved something as it offset a portion of his tax liability, increased his wage base for determining his lifetime pension benefit, increased his earnings for determining his future social security benefit, and likely affected other fringe benefits afforded town workers.  Whether or not anyone likes it, the town payroll affects taxes.  And because they are part of the problem, reviewing whether cuts are appropriate should at least be considered as a solution.  Your family member may be a great employee.  But ask him privately, and I am sure he can easily name a half-dozen other town employees not worth their salt.

73637[/snapback]

I am sure that after 30yrs they would agree, but I must say that do not have lifetime care, and no job has security even civil service, look what happened in Newark, they laid off 250 civil service employees, no one is safe when it comes to employment. I can see your arguemnet, but if we reduce the amount of public workers ( actually doing manual labor) I don't know what would happen, they try to keep our streets clean, parks kept up, sewers clean etc. it's the paper pushers that need to be weeded through.

I am sure that after 30yrs they would agree, but I must say that do not have lifetime care, and no job has security even civil service, look what happened in Newark, they laid off 250 civil service employees, no one is safe when it comes to employment. I can see your arguemnet, but if we reduce the amount of public workers ( actually doing manual labor) I don't know what would happen, they try to keep our streets clean, parks kept up, sewers clean etc. it's the paper pushers that need to be weeded through.

74029[/snapback]

They should get rid of D'Arco and Costano, they cost the town more in legal fees then the whole DPW PAYROLL for a year. check it out. Maybe not as much but I'll bet it's close. This whole lawyer game is a sham. Start looking into legal costs you'll be blown away. Or better still call Chris Christie and tell him to look into it. Follow the money my friend.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest voiceofreason.....

:lol:

They should get rid of D'Arco and Costano, they cost the town more in legal fees then the whole DPW PAYROLL for a year. check it out. Maybe not as much but I'll bet it's close. This whole lawyer game is a sham. Start looking into legal costs you'll be blown away. Or better still call Chris Christie and tell him to look into it. Follow the money my friend.

74072[/snapback]

Does anybody ever wonder how or why there are so many father and son employees on the town payroll?Just coincidence.WINK-WINK.. Let's keep that a secret right *******'s,*****'s,*********'s **********'s...etc.

I have a friend who is one of the towns ********** *********.This guy BRAGS how he plays basketball at night and does nothing but ***** * **** **********.I'm sure he is not the only derilict in town to shoot himself in the foot with his mouth.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.