School Uniforms

The Young Punk

Guest Melanie
Great idea. Instead of telling your kids that there are different kinds of people, lets pretend that everybody is the same! That will solve the problem!

Ok... now I am going to be serious. My intention of this comment is not to be mean, but I truly think that the idea of eliminating the differences in clothing will only send a message to kids that if they are uncomfortable with other people, they can change the rest of the world to suit them. I do not think that is a good message to send. Instead, why don't parents teach their kids that everybody is different? There are students that they are going to meet who they like, and they are going to meet other students who they can't stand. The job of the kid is to learn to accept the differences of their fellow students. At the simplist level, they should learn not to judge a person based solely on their clothing.

Matt's right. He sees things the adults don't seem to see. It's almost as though he's standing off at a distance watching them. And he makes his point without calling names. No wonder he has won so much admiration.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea. Instead of telling your kids that there are different kinds of people, lets pretend that everybody is the same! That will solve the problem!

Ok... now I am going to be serious. My intention of this comment is not to be mean, but I truly think that the idea of eliminating the differences in clothing will only send a message to kids that if they are uncomfortable with other people, they can change the rest of the world to suit them. I do not think that is a good message to send. Instead, why don't parents teach their kids that everybody is different? There are students that they are going to meet who they like, and they are going to meet other students who they can't stand. The job of the kid is to learn to accept the differences of their fellow students. At the simplist level, they should learn not to judge a person based solely on their clothing.

"The job of the kid is to learn to accept the differences of their fellow students. At the simplist level, they should learn not to judge a person based solely on their clothing."

While what you say here makes some sense, it's easier said than done. Yes, I do teach my kids that not everyone is the same, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you shouldn't judge people by how they look or what they wear. But you know what, kids can be really mean.

Can you imagine how one kids feels if he/she is made fun of because his parent's can't affort to buy him a certain type of sneaker, or shop at a certain store for his/her clothes? I know not all kids are like that, but this kind of stuff happens as early as 1st grade!!

I just think that some parents are having a harder time dealing with the issue of uniforms than the kids.

... "But you know what, kids can be really mean." 

Before I get to my point, I would like to thank you for not going crazy in your post. As far as your statement "kids can be really mean," and I am fully aware of that. I have had much personal experience in this matter. However, kids still have to be taught how to deal with mean people. The phrase "you must face your fears" applies here. Even if there were uniforms, students would still make fun of other students. Whether they are made fun of for their beliefs or background or breast size or weight or height or tone of voice, students will still make fun of each other. The only way to stop it, or at least attempt too is for parents to teach their kids how to treat others and how to deal with bullies.

"The job of the kid is to learn to accept the differences of their fellow students. At the simplist level, they should learn not to judge a person based solely on their clothing." 

While what you say here makes some sense, it's easier said than done.  Yes, I do teach my kids that not everyone is the same, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you shouldn't judge people by how they look or what they wear.  But you know what, kids can be really mean. 

Can you imagine how one kids feels if he/she is made fun of because his parent's can't affort to buy him a certain type of sneaker, or shop at a certain store for his/her clothes?  I know not all kids are like that, but this kind of stuff happens as early as 1st grade!! 

I just think that some parents are having a harder time dealing with the issue of uniforms than the kids.

I know, you make a lot of sense too, but it's not right to force people to wear particular clothes just because other people might make fun of someone else. That's just not how we do things in a free country, and as I believe Matthew just wrote, the kids will always find something to pick on.

I am a parent who loves the idea of uniforms.  And let me tell you, my children are very well disciplined, and have a "decent sense of value", and they have no problem wearing uniforms either.    I have spoken to many, many parents in Kearny, and not one of them was AGAINST their kids wearing uniforms. 

Fod goodness sakes, it's a pair of pants and a shirt, and the kids look good and neat.

How neat they look isn't the point. In a free country we don't dictate to each other what to do unless it's necessary. This isn't necessary.

While what you say here makes some sense, it's easier said than done.  Yes, I do teach my kids that not everyone is the same, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and you shouldn't judge people by how they look or what they wear.  But you know what, kids can be really mean. 

Can you imagine how one kids feels if he/she is made fun of because his parent's can't affort to buy him a certain type of sneaker, or shop at a certain store for his/her clothes?  I know not all kids are like that, but this kind of stuff happens as early as 1st grade!!

And if you think uniforms will magically keep kids from picking on other kids, you're just plain wrong. I saw p-l-e-n-t-y of this pre-KHS, even got some of it (though I didn't really mind 'cause I never thought spending twice the money for a shirt that 'works just as well' made sense to begin with) directed at me, and there was never a time when we DIDN'T have uniforms.

That's what I have to say about that--anyone using "no more fighting or 'picking on' because of money-related stuff (like how expensive your clothes are)" as an argument doesn't understand that kids are perfectly capable of even inventing reasons to pick on their victims if there aren't any outwardly-showing ones. Uniforms simply do not magically stop these kinds of conflicts, and I know this from experience.

"Character education must be taught in our schools. We must teach our children to be good citizens. (Applause.) And we must continue to promote order and discipline, supporting communities that introduce school uniforms, impose curfews enforce truancy laws, remove disruptive students from the classroom, and have zero tolerance for guns and drugs in school." (Applause.)

(source)

Support the president. Wear your school uniform and stop complaining.

Before I get to my point, I would like to thank you for not going crazy in your post. As far as your statement "kids can be really mean," and I am fully aware of that. I have had much personal experience in this matter. However, kids still have to be taught how to deal with mean people. The phrase "you must face your fears" applies here. Even if there were uniforms, students would still make fun of other students. Whether they are made fun of for their beliefs or background or breast size or weight or height or tone of voice, students will still make fun of each other. The only way to stop it, or at least attempt too is for parents to teach their kids how to treat others and how to deal with bullies.

This is actually my post. I forgot to sign in when I replied.

I am all for uniforms. As a single parent, it makes my life so much easier.

And this is the most selfish and lazy argument of them all for uniforms. This attitude is incredibly destructive, especially for the kids. Way to lead by crappy example--and then parents wonder why their kids are so screwed up. How about doing some actual parenting once in a while?

I am all for uniforms. As a single parent, it makes my life so much easier.  Try for once to put yourself in someone elses shoes.  It just makes sense.

Well, excuse, me, but put your kids into a uniform if it makes your life easier. Why on earth is this a problem? Do what you want to do. That's no excuse for forcing it on someone else.

Now that I've gotten a chance to read alot of peoples opinions on the idea of school uniforms I'm gonna put my ideas out there. I personally think school uniforms are a waste of money and a waste of youth. I am not gonna talk about personal freedoms are any of that, mainly because thats usually what is covered when talking about school uniforms. But the reasons that have been presented to me for school uniforms by the Kearny Board of Education does not seem capable of holding up against any arguement that I can think of. Usually in politics or controversial topics one can see why the other side wants to do things their way, but it does not seem that way with school uniforms. The arguements presented to me were: (a) parents save money, (;) we will know whos in the school, © its harder to bring in weapons, (d) kids will pick on each other less. and (e) kids will not be distracted so they can focus on their work. Now with these ideas being put forth even I would say uniforms are great, but a little bit of research and thinking will put uniforms in a very different light.

(a) how do the parents save money if they must still purchase clothes to wear outside of school? I know I would feel silly if I went to church or a family event in a school uniform, so it would seem to be an added expense to parents rather then a relief.

(:D Isn't it easier to fake a uniform, when they're being sold in stores around town, then to fake an ID card which is distributed by the school? Im pretty sure if I wore khakis and a blue collared shirt under my jacket people would think I belonged in the high school. And I would be more worried about adults being in the school that shouldn't be rather then kids.

© If a child wanted to bring a weapon into school couldn't they still put it in their backpack or shoes? I mean if a child were really bent on hurting another child couldn't something as simple as a pen be used as a weapon? It seems that the only way to eliminate weapons in a school enviroment is rubber rooms and foam equipment.

(d) Kids will pick on each other no matter what. I have seen kids made fun of for something as simple as a scrunchie on their wrist. Also don't you think that kids are gunna wear normal clothes outside of school and see other kids from school? Wouldn't those clothes be the object of the childrens mocking still? Unless the Board of Education will supply perfumes, deodorants, and parents buy enough uniforms for outside of school as well this seems like a pitiful arguement.

(e) I sometimes have work to do in suits and sometimes I work in ripped jeans and a sleeveless shirt, and to be perfectly honest I feel no difference in my work ethic. I feel that people either value knowledge or they don't and if they don't they will find something to get distracted. They will gaze out the window more frequently, daydream, or look at a girls face.

I am quickly becoming disappointed in the board of ed and the policies being instituted by our state government in regards to education. As of right now the parents are being told how to dress their kids and what their kids can eat. Now some kids do need to be told you should have respect for yourself and not dress like that, but that doesn't mean that you punish everyone. If a kid wants to be fat let them, because sadly there is only one percentage in this world that will never change. That is that there is a 100% chance you will die, its a scientific fact everyone dies. Let them live their lives the way they want, if they want to get fat because they love the taste of food, let em. It won't change the outcome of those statistics. I would rather live to be 30 living the way I want to live and enjoying life rather then living to 200 monitoring and taking note of everything that I consume and do.

Guest toghog2005
How neat they look isn't the point. In a free country we don't dictate to each other what to do unless it's necessary. This isn't necessary.

i was in kearny high in 1969-1970 jacket and tie days csny the war in vietnam tony fanilli lead a walk out one day. i was young a freshman at the time they were long hair hippies but history repeats, maybe this what young people need to motivate them get there heads out of the computer and in to reality . the day after the walk out dress code was changed, jacket and tie only on assembly days . So i say" bring it on" make them dress the same. Lets see how long they last with big bro telling them ,they know whats good for them .

Bravo Matthew! Your logic should also apply to people of different faiths. If one student is uncomfortable with the beliefs of the Catholics, Born Again Christians, Mormons, Methodists etc at his public school, he shouldn't try to change them to suit him by using the media and the courts.

So, you're saying that were the dress code to be enforced, you would prefer it over uniforms? (just making sure)

If someone could enforce a a dress code, yes, I would find that an acceptable solution. Unfortunately we both know how unsuccessful that has been. The schools do not have the time or resources to make sure that a dress code is being followed. I do like the idea of my child wearing a uniform in grammer school, and see nothing wrong with the high school following the same policy. I feel the uniforms show equalilty and the kids look great.

And when would you find it "necessary"? Unless you've seen some of the breasts and asses hanging out (and thats just the girls) please don't say they don't need to look NEAT.

"Character education must be taught in our schools. We must teach our children to be good citizens. (Applause.) And we must continue to promote order and discipline, supporting communities that introduce school uniforms, impose curfews enforce truancy laws, remove disruptive students from the classroom, and have zero tolerance for guns and drugs in school." (Applause.)

(source)

Support the president.  Wear your school uniform and stop complaining.

I COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!

Or it could when adminstrators don't want to enforce a dress code rule complaint by a teacher, the administrators don't enforce because there is no violation.

And I'm now wondering if there is a dress code issue or is this blown out of proportion? Are some trying to create a solution for a non-existent problem?

Have the teachers stood up, as a group, and said there is an issue?

This is not an issue where the teachers and/or the teachers' union have any say.

Bravo Matthew!  Your logic should also apply to people of different faiths.  If one student is uncomfortable with the beliefs of the Catholics, Born Again Christians, Mormons, Methodists etc at his public school, he shouldn't try to change them to suit him by using the media and the courts.

You're missing the fact that there is a long history of state-sponsored religious persecution, almost always against minorities.

If someone could enforce a a dress code, yes, I would find that an acceptable solution. Unfortunately we both know how unsuccessful that has been. The schools do not have the time or resources to make sure that a dress code is being followed. I do like the idea of my child wearing a uniform in grammer school, and see nothing wrong with the high school following the same policy. I feel the uniforms show equalilty and the kids look great.

A proper dress code can be enforced. It was when I went to school, and it can be now, especially if the penalty for a violation is to be put into a uniform for the remainder of the year.

And when would you find it "necessary"? Unless you've seen some of the breasts and asses hanging out (and thats just the girls) please don't say they don't need to look NEAT.

If what you describe was actually happening, then the administration would be remiss. I see students walking into the high school quite a few mornings, and I've never once seen what you're describing.

I didn't say students shouldn't look neat. I said there are other ways besides uniforms to make that happen.