School Uniforms

The Young Punk

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone think about giving the uniforms to the high school? I was at the town forum and it seemed that a lot of people were against it though it was apparent that the cons were produced mostly by students attending the highschool. I have my views, but I wanted to know what benefits the board of education sought with these ramifications?

Just out of curiosity, what does everyone think about giving the uniforms to the high school?

I think it's a bad idea, that 'punishes the victim,' especially in the case of people saying that it'll reduce conflict/fights/etc. associated with whatever clothes one happens to be wearing. I find that argument to be disturbingly similar to one in which women are told that they shouldn't have been wearing such skimpy clothes if they didn't want to be raped.

Mandated uniforms seem to be essentially a desperate attempt to create/encourage/enforce (depending on how you look at it) conformity, at the cost of individuality, which there seems to be a discouraging lack of these days, especially among these teenagers who are approaching adulthood. I think these people should be encouraged to be themselves, and choosing what clothes you want to wear is part of establishing one's identity.

Guest Guest
Just out of curiosity, what does everyone think about giving the uniforms to the high school? I was at the town forum and it seemed that a lot of people were against it though it was apparent that the cons were produced mostly by students attending the highschool. I have my views, but I wanted to know what benefits the board of education sought with these ramifications?

You won't like my response, but why not put the high school students in uniform? Not tie and jackets, but khakis and the same blue KEARNY SCHOOLS shirt the grammer school are required to wear. I'm sorry, but once it was passed for the grammer schools, the high school will be a piece of cake to get passed. The first shirt should be given out just as they were in the grammer schools.

I think by law a public education has to be supplied.

What happens if the parents don't want to buy or cannot afford uniforms?

In fact, that's one of the Constitutional arguments against uniforms. I'm appalled that having the government dictate to citizens in the ordinary course of things what color clothing they will wear has any support at all.

Guest Guest

Hello Young Punk,

You wanted to know our views about the uniform situation.

I think high school should have uniforms like every other school in town.

And not just until 11th grade as I heard, it should be for everyone. What makes Seniors any different than Juniors?

Love the uniform idea first, because it will save parents lots of money, because there will be no competition about whose wearing what, and what brand etc. Second, everyone than is equal. You are not richer or poorer than the other. What makes you an individual is what is in the inside not what you are wearing. Third, it will definitely keep the girls from exposing themselves as much as they do now. I see some girls going to school looking like they are going to a club. I know some will find a way to continue to dress inappropriate, but the uniform will make a difference on the long run.

Keep in mind the popular, the non-popular, the ugly, the beautiful, the smart one or the one that struggles all are dress the same; there will be no classification of levels or class. Or at least it should not be any.

Thank you for asking!

Guest Guest

I am against uniforms for the high school as well as the elementary school. There is a dress code policy that the administration chooses not to enforce. I was also at the forum and I felt that most were against uniforms but were in favor of a dress code. I think there are more important issues that need to be addressed in the high school than uniforms.

You won't like my response, but why not put the high school students in uniform? Not tie and jackets, but khakis and the same blue KEARNY SCHOOLS shirt the grammer school are required to wear. I'm sorry, but once it was passed for the grammer schools, the high school will be a piece of cake to get passed. The first shirt should be given out just as they were in the grammer schools.

Well, it's obvious what your stance is, but how about explaining it instead of just saying "you won't like" it? It would help to know why you feel the way you do, and especially (as far as I'm concerned, at least) why you would prefer that over the dress code we currently have.

I am against uniforms for the high school as well as the elementary school.  There is a dress code policy that the administration chooses not to enforce.  I was also at the forum and I felt that most were against uniforms but were in favor of a dress code.  I think there are more important issues that need to be addressed in the high school than uniforms.

I agree 100%. Dress code is just fine--no need to get to the point where you're ordering students that they MUST wear this and that.

In fact, that's one of the Constitutional arguments against uniforms. I'm appalled that having the government dictate to citizens in the ordinary course of things what color clothing they will wear has any support at all.

I agree with you on that.

Its sad that so many are willing to impose this burden on their children, something which they would never want to have applied to themselves.

How popular would it be if all jobs, no matter the position required uniform attire? And I don't mean suits, but same pants, same jackets, same shirts.

What about public transportation? People get mugged on the NYC subways for sneakers or because they wear expensive clothes or get harrassed for wearing outlandish outfits. The HS uniform rationale can be applied to require uniform attire on public tranport.

Its sad that so many are willing to impose this burden on their children, something which they would never want to have applied to themselves.

How popular would it be if all jobs, no matter the position required uniform attire? And I don't mean suits, but same pants, same jackets, same shirts.

What about public transportation? People get mugged on the NYC subways for sneakers or because they wear expensive clothes or get harrassed for wearing outlandish outfits. The HS uniform rationale can be applied to require uniform attire on public tranport.

The uniform craze around here has stink written all over it. Bayonne, Union and Kearny all adopted a uniform policy at the same time and ordered the uniforms from the same vendor. How much would you like to bet that someone knows someone, and that this is about a deal for the uniform contractor.

Guest a Kearny parent
Hello Young Punk,

And not just until 11th grade as I heard, it should be for everyone. What makes Seniors any different than Juniors?

Love the uniform idea first, because it will save parents lots of money, because there will be no competition about whose wearing what, and what brand etc. Second, everyone than is equal. You are not richer or poorer than the other. What makes you an individual is what is in the inside not what you are wearing. Third, it will definitely keep the girls from exposing themselves as much as they do now. I see some girls going to school looking like they are going to a club. I know some will find a way to continue to dress inappropriate, but the uniform will make a difference on the long run.

Keep in mind the popular, the non-popular, the ugly, the beautiful, the smart one or the one that struggles all are dress the same; there will be no classification of levels or class. Or at least it should not be any.

Thank you for asking!

"Love the uniform idea first, because it will save parents lots of money, because there will be no competition about whose wearing what, and what brand etc. Second, everyone than is equal. You are not richer or poorer than the other. What makes you an individual is what is in the inside not what you are wearing. Third, it will definitely keep the girls from exposing themselves as much as they do now."

These are PITIFUL excuses for forcing someone else's kids to put on a uniform to go to school. My kids have good, respectable clothes and they dress decently and properly at all times. I am very annoyed with other parents in this town who think they have the RIGHT and the NERVE to force my kids to put on a uniform because they can't PARENT THEIR KIDS. If they had taught their kids a decent sense of VALUES in the first place, especially the idea that what matters is what's inside us, they wouldn't have to WORRY about their kids trying to OUTDO the other kids. My kids don't worry about that because they were brought up with REASONABLE DISCIPLINE and told NO at appropriate times. No doubt the parents who are clamoring for my kids to wear uniforms today are the same parents who couldn't tell their own kids no, or set reasonable limits when they were three. It irks me no end that some people in this town think it's my and my kids' job to pick up the slack for what they have FAILED TO DO! This is no way to teach them how to be responsible adults.

Exactly. In fact, why don't we all just put on one-piece grey jumpsuits like they wore in China under Mao? It would solve a lot of problems.

No? So why not?

It's a nightmare that the people who are arguing for this can't hear themselves. If this is truly the land of the free, kids aren't forced to wear uniforms by their local governments. That's no way to educate young people to be responsible citizens in a free society. Just the opposite, it's a way to condition them to give up freedom altogether.

We're going to have to fight hard enough to preserve freedom as it is, with the global economy taking a lot of it away and the constant threat of terrorism pushing people to give it up. We should be fiercely defending our freedoms, not cheering as we throw them away for pretty much no reason at all.

Guest concerned parent

I certainly agree with Paul on this one. If I wanted my child in a uniform I would have sent them to a Catholic High School. I VOTE NO to uniforms.

You stooooooopid iiiiiiiidiot. You really are stooooopid, EH? I get all the freedoms. I demand all personal liberties!!!!!!! Me Me Me, I am sooooooooooo special, no? YESSSSSSS!!!!

I think it's a bad idea, that 'punishes the victim,' especially in the case of people saying that it'll reduce conflict/fights/etc. associated with whatever clothes one happens to be wearing. I find that argument to be disturbingly similar to one in which women are told that they shouldn't have been wearing such skimpy clothes if they didn't want to be raped.

Mandated uniforms seem to be essentially a desperate attempt to create/encourage/enforce (depending on how you look at it) conformity, at the cost of individuality, which there seems to be a discouraging lack of these days, especially among these teenagers who are approaching adulthood. I think these people should be encouraged to be themselves, and choosing what clothes you want to wear is part of establishing one's identity.

You stooooooopid iiiiiiiidiot. You really are stooooopid, EH? I get all the freedoms. I demand all personal liberties!!!!!!! Me Me Me, I am sooooooooooo special, no? YESSSSSSS!!!!

Well, it's obvious what your stance is, but how about explaining it instead of just saying "you won't like" it? It would help to know why you feel the way you do, and especially (as far as I'm concerned, at least) why you would prefer that over the dress code we currently have.

Thank you Sigmund Fraud. Wait ...... wait for it.......

Guest Melanie
Hello Young Punk,

Thank you for asking!

In other words, here's what this guest is really saying:

"Dear fellow parents, my children are hell on wheels. I've spoiled them rotten, let them wear clothing I knew they shouldn't wear and never had the guts or the integrity to set limits on my own children. So now that I've screwed up parenting my own children to the point that I can't handle them, I want the rest of the parents in town to force their children to wear uniforms to cover the mistakes and failures I've made with my own children. I really wish these young people weren't competing with each other over who could dress the coolest, but since I couldn't instill those values in my own children, I'm going to force your children to wear a uniform to make up for my failures as a parent."

The people making that argument should be ashamed of themselves. And one of them is president of the Board of Education. I don't knew her personally or know her children, but she is making that argument, and she ought to have the sense to be ashamed of herself. But she doesn't.

Great. Just marvy. No wonder the Kearny school system is so screwed up.

You and Paul have completely missed the point.