Peter Higins Called a Liar

Guest PVSCC

Harrison land values have appreciated more than the national average, the Mayor and Council must be doing something right. All our stores are occupied, the same can't be said for many surronding towns! The Redevelopment will prove to be the best thing this town could ever hope for, you'll see!

All our stores are occupied? I counted eight empty stores and one vacant lot just on Harrison Avenue.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harrison land values have appreciated more than the national average, the Mayor and Council must be doing something right. All our stores are occupied, the same can't be said for many surronding towns!

You missed 2 empty stores>

The formeer bank/drugtore-corner of FER &Harr Wv.

the 2nd unused bldg. next to the Pizza place on Harr. AV. near corner of 3rd st.

Harrison land values have appreciated more than the national average, the Mayor and Council must be doing something right. All our stores are occupied, the same can't be said for many surronding towns! The Redevelopment will prove to be the best thing this town could ever hope for, you'll see!

Of course Harrison's land values have increased more than the national levels. It's the same all over New Jersey. Everyone knows we are near the top in the most expensive states to live in.

Taxes are not based on sq feet They are based on assessed value.  101 taxation

What do you think the assessed value is based on?????  Millan's ego??  If the later is the case, then the financial requirements of our Town would be met for the next millenium.

Go RAY and current Town Council!!!!

I agree 100%. Ray and the current Town Coiuncil should definatly "go."

Kearny, North Arlington, Lyndhurst, and Rutherford all have more empty stores than we do !

Those towns are also bigger!

Eight stores and a vacant lot eyesore in the main commercial district, all within 3 blocks of each other, however, is pretty telling in a town the size of Harrison.

Those towns are also bigger! 

Eight stores and a vacant lot eyesore in the main commercial district, all within 3 blocks of each other, however, is pretty telling in a town the size of Harrison.

I've always wondered why the empty former store(building) next to the pizzaria on the west corner of N3rd & Harrison Av, has been unoccuppied and boarded up for over 40 yrs and 'nothing' was ever done about it. Can't the town take

over unoccuppied property that has been an unused eyesore if the owner neglects or refuses to maintain the property after a 'certain' number of years?

This boaded up building has been unused, and closed up and neglected since at least 1960 or so.

Gee, I thought the increase in real estate values was a national phenomenon.  I guess the Mayor and Council should be given credit for that also.  You must be one big jerk to try to convince us the only place property values are up is in Harrison, and the people responsible are the Mayor and Council.

Never said Harrison was the only place where real estate values are exceedigngly high, Mike (or is it Stevie Boy). Seems too well written to be Mike, yet he did misread my post. The mayor and council deserve our support because they are doing a good honest job. More than could ever be said for Mike F., Anselmo, and Stevie Boy and their crew. Politics sure makes for some very strange bedfellows.

I agree 100%.  Ray and the current Town Coiuncil should definatly "go."

to bring in who? another beast of ego?his people?a group that up until spring had their hand in the pot too. a group that also have hidden agendas.at least we know the pr*cks. do we really want to have to dial two for english?the grass always looks greener on the other side. :)

I've always wondered why the empty  former store(building) next to the pizzaria on the west corner of  N3rd & Harrison Av, has been unoccuppied and boarded up for over 40 yrs and 'nothing' was ever done about it.  Can't the town take

over unoccuppied property that has been an unused eyesore  if the owner neglects or refuses to maintain the property after a 'certain' number of years?

This boaded up building has been unused, and closed up and neglected since at least 1960 or so.

The owner just had an application approved by the planning board. Hopefully' he'll follow through and complete the building this year!

I've always wondered why the empty  former store(building) next to the pizzaria on the west corner of  N3rd & Harrison Av, has been unoccuppied and boarded up for over 40 yrs and 'nothing' was ever done about it.  Can't the town take

over unoccuppied property that has been an unused eyesore  if the owner neglects or refuses to maintain the property after a 'certain' number of years?

check your facts it hasnt been vacate for 40 years it was used in the 70's and raly 80's as a warehouse for shoes and clothing the town cant buy property if the owner isnt selling dim bulb

check your facts it hasnt been vacate for 40 years it was used in the 70's and raly 80's as a warehouse for shoes and clothing the town cant buy property if the owner isnt selling dim bulb

How can the Spanish Pavilion be blighted and taken for redevelopment, when a building unused for twenty years can't be.

Because that property was owned by a former town official - and he was not going to write himself a building code violation.

Guest LETS START OFF WITH TOM POWELL
Never said Harrison was the only place where real estate values are exceedigngly high, Mike (or is it Stevie Boy). Seems too well written to be Mike, yet he did misread my post. The mayor and council deserve our support because they are doing a good honest job. More than could ever be said for Mike F., Anselmo, and Stevie Boy and their crew. Politics sure makes for some very strange bedfellows.
HELLO, HAVE YOU EVER MEET THE MAYORS CREW?

LETS START OFF WITH TOM POWELL ENOUGH SAID!!!!!

Guest Realtor
Yes, some will because our property will be worth more, much more than it already is! The Mayor and Council have done a GREAT JOB of keeping our property values up and they will only increase with the Redevelopment!

I would like to correct this statement that "property values will only increase with the redevelopment". That's not always true. Over-development can have a negative effect on property values. The same goes for a lack of recreational space and over-crowded schools. And certainly, this stadium won't do anything to increase property values. People do not want to live near a stadium with it's noise, traffic and parking nightmares.

Good luck to anyone trying to sell their home after the schools are hit with all the kids these new housing units will be bringing in. If I still lived in Harrison, I'd be getting out now.

The owner just had an application approved by the planning board. Hopefully' he'll follow through and complete the building this year!

ABOUT TIME!!!!

Is that the "SAME" owner or heirs, that 'neglected 'it for 40 yrs and let it sit vacant; or is it a "NEW" owner? If it is the 'same' owner for the past 40 yrs, I wonder why he didn't do something with it for so many yrs or have sold' the property yrs ago. What 'profit' was he getting for a dilapidated, unused building which he had to "PAY TAXES" on for 40 yrs, (unless he wasn't paying any taxes, hmm)?

Hey dim bulb #2;

I'm shocked!!! This will come as a "surprise' to a lot of people, who "wondered" what was the 'story' about that building. With the "poor frontal appearance" of that property located on the MAIN STREET in town, it sure did not "FIT-IN" with the "WELL-KEPT" nice APPEARANCE of the near-by stores on the MAIN AVENUE at the time, such as the WOMEN's SHOP, the CLOVER SHOP, 2 PHARMACIES on the same block, a SHOESTORE, & directly across the street, the KIDDIE CORNER, A COFFEE-SHOP, two BAKERIES, etc.

Thanks for coming up with the 'answer' concerning the "history' of that building.

Signed dim bulb #1,

Guest Nasty stores

Yes the majority of the stores are occupied but I wouldn't shop in 9 out of 10 of them. They are dirty, filthy disgusting stores. I would like to know how half of them (those that sell food) pass a board of health inspection?

and I guess you work for the town to know this? that is none of your business it should be personal information.

exactly, this is not in the redevelopment where iminent domain applies, and at that it is not justified, people work hard for their properties down there and alot are living off of the income from those properties because they have retired.

Yes, some will because our property will be worth more, much more than it already is! The Mayor and Council have done a GREAT JOB of keeping our property values up and they will only increase with the Redevelopment!

NO the mayor and council have not brought the property prices up, but they did increase taxes, and you think that with all these new town homes and two and three family homes going up the taxes are going to decrease? of course not, this is just going to bring our taxes higher since these new homes and condos have a tax abatement of 5 to 10 years and the stadium bond for 40 million BOND has to be paid by US HARRISONIANS DON'T YOU GET IT, a bond is a LOAN. Besides these homes are not selling like they planned, they are advertising like crazy, and if you ride around town the homes that were recently build are all still for sale, normaly they would be sold before construction was complete.

Guest mary smith

"The town can't buy property if the owner isn't selling dim bulb" Are you kidding?? Get your head out of the sand "dim bulb"....welcome to the world of Eminent Domain abuse in Harrison. they certainly can and do take (rob) people of their property. Isn't there a family with a business on 4th street (FDR Blvd.) going thru this right now?

"The town can't buy property if the owner isn't selling dim bulb"  Are you kidding?? Get your head out of the sand "dim bulb"....welcome to the world of Eminent Domain abuse in Harrison.  they certainly can and do take (rob) people of their property.  Isn't there a family with a business on 4th street (FDR Blvd.) going thru this right now?

Only because they are in the River Redevelopment Zone and this property is covered by emenient domaine.

Archived