SAY NO TO DUMP

oldfart56

oldfart56 getting facts straight?  That would be a first.  But he has an excuse or two.  He's a Floridian and retarded (or should I be more PC and use "mentally challenged"?).

JW

:D:D hey joe w" crazy like a mad dog well yah but retarded? just like you buddy! just like you! luv ya dude! :blink::blink::lol::lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
I have a question, if they start adding more garbage to the old landfill won't that cause water displacement? Like when the tide is high and we have a storm won't the water back up in the sewer line even with a pump? This may cost much more then you think.

Take a note of how much the Belleville Turnpike floods now since they built the Poland Springs warehouse next to H&M...more building in the wetlands, means less space for runoff to go to.....

Guest Radagast
Rad,

One of the factors contributing to the sewage problem at King and Schuyler has been the Keegan Landfill. The landfill sits at the mouth of Frank's Creek and, according to the Town Engineer, all the dumping has caused it to block the Kearny Marsh from draining into Frank's Creek. The Kearny Marsh fills and can't drain causing the stormwater in the area to flood. The sanitary sewer at King and Schuyler is combined with stormwater causing sewage to be mixed with the stormwater.

One of the hundreds of unanswered questions about the re-opening of the Keegan Landfill is this - How will more dumping NOT make the situation worse for residents of that area? If we ever have a real public hearing on this issue (as the Mayor suggested) I'd love to see this question answered.

Jim Mangin

Again, water flows down hill. Any overflow from the Kearny march flows east, not uphill to Schuyler. Also, there is no plan that i know of to expand the Keegan Landfill. So there would be no more 'displacement' than there is now. It is also my understanding that Franks Creek will be re-routed.

I contend that the flooding problem has nothing to do with Keegen and it never will. The problem comes from uphill and flows down to Schuyler. The configuation of the combined sewer lines on Schuyler ave. has made king St. the path of least resistence for a back up when there is a storm. One solution would be for every home owner to disconnect their roof drains from the sanitary sewer and allow it to flow into the street and to a storm drain. That would stop the flooding right away but who wants to absorb that kind of expense?

We shall see what happens. The landfill is going to re-open. Everything is pretty much set and its not likely that anyone, short of Margaret Halloway (bless her), can stop it now.

Again, water flows down hill. Any overflow from the Kearny march flows east, not uphill to Schuyler. Also, there is no plan that i know of to expand the Keegan Landfill. So there would be no more 'displacement' than there is now. It is also my understanding that Franks Creek will be re-routed.

I contend that the flooding problem has nothing to do with Keegen and it never will. The problem comes from uphill and flows down to Schuyler. The configuation of the combined sewer lines on Schuyler ave. has made king St. the path of least resistence for a back up when there is a storm. One solution would be for every home owner to disconnect their roof drains from the sanitary sewer and allow it to flow into the street and to a storm drain. That would stop the flooding right away but who wants to absorb that kind of expense?

We shall see what happens. The landfill is going to re-open. Everything is pretty much set and its not likely that anyone, short of Margaret Halloway (bless her), can stop it now.

:huh:  :huh: you are wrong ! it will change the flow! and it can be stoped if the towns people want it too! 1law suit thats all! as for the roof drains that should have bin done a long time ago! and yes that will help! B)

Guest guest
:huh:  :huh: you are wrong ! it will change the flow! and it can be stoped if the towns people want it too! 1law suit thats all! as for the roof drains that should have bin done a long time ago! and yes that will help! B)

All of us in this area disconnected roof drains years ago.I beleive the re-opening of Keegan Landfill will make the flooding worse.As for Margret Halloway I wish she was here today.

Guest Radagast

Well O.F. you hit the nail on the head..'it can be stopped if the towns people want it too!'...

The plan that includes re-opening Keegan is already well underway and I have not heard a peep about it outside of this board. Who will file the lawsuit? How do you prove to a judge that he should stop this project? You need experts to prove that re-opening the landfill will make flooding worse. Experts cost money.

No.... I'm afraid it is far too late for that. The landfill is going to reopen... deal with it. My bet is that no one will even notice.

All of us  in this area disconnected roof drains years ago.I beleive the re-opening of Keegan Landfill will make the flooding worse.As for Margret Halloway I wish she was here today.

:blink::blink::blink: hey yall its YOUR TOWN DO SOMETHING BEFOR ITS TOO LATE!!!! :blink::blink: ~CARPE DIEM~

All of us  in this area disconnected roof drains years ago.I beleive the re-opening of Keegan Landfill will make the flooding worse.As for Margret Halloway I wish she was here today.

:blink::blink::blink: yall do something NOW BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!!AFTER THEY START ITS OVER THE TOWNS DEAD !!!!!!!!!!!! OH YAH DO NOT COME DOWN HERE THERE IS NO ROOM FOR STUPID PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink:

I think you mean there is no room for MORE stupid people!!

Can't they "bunk up" the trailers?

JW

:blink::blink: joe get on your side of the bed my dog needs more room! and your going home when??????? :blink::blink:

Guest Settle Down O.F.

O.F,

Just because you CAN post so often on EVERY topic doesn't mean you have to. You are a forum flooder. You cry wolf so often that no one wants to read your posts. Make your point then shut it! I'm sure you would agree sometimes your replies to topics are not thoughtful or needed. Post wisely, not just too see your mass postings all over the place, you dig! STOP THE FORUM FLOODING!

O.F,

Just because you CAN post so often on EVERY topic doesn't mean you have to. You are a forum flooder. You cry wolf so often that no one wants to read your posts. Make your point then shut it! I'm sure you would agree sometimes your replies to topics are not thoughtful or needed. Post wisely, not just too see your mass postings all over the place, you dig! STOP THE FORUM FLOODING!

:blink::blink::blink: ooooooo sis of pister :blink::blink:

I contend that the flooding problem has nothing to do with Keegen and it never will. The problem comes from uphill and flows down to Schuyler.

Rad,

It's not just my opinion that Keegan adds to the flooding problems at King St & Schuyler. It's also the opinion of the Town Engineer (and Councilwoman Sherry says you should believe him over me).

In a letter to the NJ Dept of Environmental Protection dated April 2, 2004 (available via the Open Public Records Act), Michael Neglia writes:

". . . as you can see, the hydraulic situation impacting this area is extreme and the inability of Frank's Creek and the PVSC combined trunk line to handle the flow causes the system to fail. It is also important to note that the Frank's Creek drainage has been severely compromised by illegal dumping in the area over the years and several outlet points have been completely blocked.

Again, it is my contention that re-opening the Keegan Landfill will have a disasterous effect on the flooding situation in that area of Town. But that's not the main reason I'm opposed to it. I'm still waiting for the public hearing on the lease agreement between the NJMC and the Town of Kearny - six months and still waiting.

Jim Mangin

Guest ivy st.
Rad,

It's not just my opinion that Keegan adds to the flooding problems at King St & Schuyler. It's also the opinion of the Town Engineer (and Councilwoman Sherry says you should believe him over me).

In a letter to the NJ Dept of Environmental Protection dated April 2, 2004 (available via the Open Public Records Act), Michael Neglia writes:

". . . as you can see, the hydraulic situation impacting this area is extreme and the inability of Frank's Creek and the PVSC combined trunk line to handle the flow causes the system to fail. It is also important to note that the Frank's Creek drainage has been severely compromised by illegal dumping in the area over the years and several outlet points have been completely blocked.

Again, it is my contention that re-opening the Keegan Landfill will have a disasterous effect on the flooding situation in that area of Town. But that's not the main reason I'm opposed to it. I'm still waiting for the public hearing on the lease agreement between the NJMC and the Town of Kearny - six months and still waiting.

Jim Mangin

What is wrong with this Mayor to okay this project when we have a FLOODING PROBLEM????? Is there anyway to stop the reopening?

Guest Radagast

Rad,

Jim,

I don't believe that the "illegal dumping" referred to by the Town Engineer is the Keegan Landfill. Keegan was perfectly legal when it was open. It is more likely that he is talking about illegal dumping that has occured in and around Franks Creek since Keegan was closed in the 1970's. How could a landfill that closed 40 years ago have anything to do with a flooding problem that started in the late 1990's? Besides, Franks Creek is just that, a creek. It doesn't take very much to obstruct it. Part of the plan to re-open Keegan includes redirecting Franks Creek and, one would hope, cleaning it out.

This problem developed over years and in order to fix it some very big bucks will have to be spent not only to upgrade the sanitary sewer but to fix the storm drain problem also. $30,000,000 to $50,000,000 perhaps.

Guest A. Realist
Jim,

I don't believe that the "illegal dumping" referred to by the Town Engineer is the Keegan Landfill. Keegan was perfectly legal when it was open. It is more likely that he is talking about illegal dumping that has occured in and around Franks Creek since Keegan was closed in the 1970's. How could a landfill that closed 40 years ago have anything to do with a flooding problem that started in the late 1990's? Besides, Franks Creek is just that, a creek. It doesn't take very much to obstruct it. Part of the plan to re-open Keegan includes redirecting Franks Creek and, one would hope, cleaning it out.

This problem developed over years and in order to fix it some very big bucks will have to be spent not only to upgrade the sanitary sewer but to fix the storm drain problem also. $30,000,000 to $50,000,000 perhaps.

Rad,

There you go again. Confusing the hell out of Jimbo by throwing logic and valid information into his mix of perfectly good rhetoric and histrionics. Shame on you!

Jim,

Rad,

Frank's Creek should and will be cleaned with or without re-opening the Keegan Landfill.

You asked how a landfill closed for 40 years could have anything to do with a late-90's flooding problem. The reason is simple. The Kearny Marsh always served as a kind of "holding basin" for stormwater on that part of Town. From the marsh stormwater drained via Frank's Creek to the Passaic. The reason the problem took so long to develop is because the marsh has (or had) such a large holding capacity for stormwater. Once the marsh filled (probably about 10 years after Keegan closed) the residents first stated experiencing severe flooding.

I agree that the proper long-term solution will take some "big bucks." But in my opinion the entities responsible have those "big bucks" that Kearny doesn't. Instead of going after the proper "responsible parties" we're just suppossed to be content with cutting a deal with the NJMC? The plan to re-open Keegan is in reality just a plan to ensure the NJMC stays in business. That's simply unacceptable. We've accepted so many bailouts from the NJMC recently that our elected officials can't see that we're being used.

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." I think Pogo lives on John Hay Ave.

Jim Mangin

Rad,

There you go again. Confusing the hell out of Jimbo by throwing logic and valid information into his mix of perfectly good rhetoric and histrionics. Shame on you!

:angry:B) Rad how stupid are? you did you forget the town sits on a copper mine! they blocked the drains to the dump and it backfilled now it can't drain out it took years to fill and the sponge effect of the dump won't let it drain ! its not just one thing its the whole thing all of it ! and JIM IS RIGHT! :angry::lol:

Guest Guest
:ph34r:  :angry: Rad how stupid are? you did you forget the town sits on a copper mine! they blocked the drains to the dump and it backfilled now it can't drain out it took years to fill and the sponge effect of the dump won't let it drain ! its not just one thing its the whole thing all of it !  and JIM IS RIGHT!  :angry:  :angry:

To paraphrase an old movie... 'Stupid is as stupid says'

The old copper mine is mostly in North Arlington. It goes south about as far as Seeley Ave. Keegan is about three miles away, not connected in anyway and at least 3 to 4 feet lower. Somehow this doesn't seem to penatrate.. so I'll say it louder... WATER FLOWS DOWN HILL Down hill would be east not west.

The problem on King St. has to do with the sanitary sewer lines on Schuyler Ave. The storm water that flows into that sanitary sewer line and the inability of that line to handle the storm water is the basis of the flooding. The logical response to this problem is to remove the stormwater from the sanitary system by building a new system to convey the storm water out of the area. Thus, the big bucks.

The plan to re open Keegan, from what I've seen, will not expand it outward only upward. That means that there will not be anymore 'displacement' than there has been for the past 30 years. I also don't see how storm water that has already by-passed the sewer line and flowed into the meadows via the street surfaces and other methods has any effect on the back up on the King Street sewer line.

Jim Mangin's explanation, while in my view is a stretch, is at least logical. Your approach to this discussion, Old Fart, seems to be nothing more than name calling. However, if that's what floats your boat (Hmmmm... poor analogy on my part) have fun!

To paraphrase an old movie... 'Stupid is as stupid says'

The old copper mine is mostly in North Arlington. It goes south about as far as Seeley Ave. Keegan is about three miles away, not connected in anyway and at least 3 to 4 feet lower. Somehow this doesn't seem to penatrate.. so I'll say it louder... WATER FLOWS DOWN HILL  Down hill would be east not west.

The problem on King St. has to do with the sanitary sewer lines on Schuyler Ave. The storm water that flows into that sanitary sewer line and the inability of that line to handle the storm water is the basis of the flooding. The logical response to this problem is to remove the stormwater from the sanitary system by building a new system to convey the storm water out of the area. Thus, the big bucks.

The plan to re open Keegan, from what I've seen, will not expand it outward only upward. That means that there will not be anymore 'displacement' than there has been for the past 30 years. I also don't see how storm water that has already by-passed the sewer line and flowed into the meadows via the street surfaces and other methods has any effect on the back up on the King Street sewer line.

Jim Mangin's explanation, while in my view is a stretch, is at least logical. Your approach to this discussion, Old Fart, seems to be nothing more than name calling. However, if that's what floats your boat (Hmmmm... poor analogy on my part) have fun!

:ph34r:  :angry: OK SANTOS  KEEP LIEING TO YOUR SELF AND OTHERS !  AND GO LOOK AT THE OLD MAPS ! THE WASHOUT WAS IN KEARNY NEAR GUNNEL OVEL! AND LIKE A SPONGE THE DUMP WILL EXPAND OUTWARD!  WAKE UP!!!DO YOU LIKE TO GAMBLE? THIS IS A LOSEING BET! AND ITS ALL KEARNYS ! NOT JUST YOURS!

Guest A. Realist
Do you have anything factual to add to this discussion?

Now, go play while the grown-ups talk. Go on now.

Jim Mangin

Jimbo,

It's a good thing I know you so well, ya big lug. Otherwise I might actually think for one little minute that you meant that mean-spirited affront; and I would be completely devastated, have to retreat to the fetal position and be too traumatized to expose my feelings ever again. (Now, you measure that up against your feeble attempt at sarcasm!)

Did you ever think that Rad might be getting his info from me? (Only kidding, Rad. Love ya, Baby)

Jimbo,

It's a good thing I know you so well, ya big lug. Otherwise I might actually think for one little minute that you meant that mean-spirited affront; and I would be completely devastated, have to retreat to the fetal position and be too traumatized to expose my feelings ever again. (Now, you measure that up against your feeble attempt at sarcasm!)

Did you ever think that Rad might be getting his info from me? (Only kidding, Rad. Love ya, Baby)

:ph34r::ph34r: THE DUMP THE DUMP NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !GET IT!!!!!!! :ph34r::ph34r::o

Archived