Jim Mangin run again

Guest guest

The 1-D and the Keegan are two totally different sites, with different needs to remediate. As far as we know, there are no plans to use the 1-D for any usefull purpose. On the other hand, there are very pro-active plans for Keegan. Because of these plans it must be capped due to severe surface leeching, which will continue for years after you and I aren't around.

You left yourself wide open in your last sentence, but in the spirit of fare play, I'll just keep it to myself. :blink:

Check your facts. The 1-D and Keegan Landfills are exactly the same and need closure for the exact same reasons. The "pro-active" plans for Keegan you speak of are recreational. They have nothing to do with using construction debris as a cap. And learn the definition of lechate. There's no such thing as "surface leeching." Lechate occurs underground in the water table.

If you look at this issue objectively you'll see massive differences in the facts as explained by the Meadowlands Commission between 1992 and today. That's my point. We need more information.

Jim Mangin

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest A. Realist
You must be new to the 2nd Ward and the logistics of politics. We had many effective council people elected in the days when they had REAL competition. I suspect the "girls" have had a much easier time of it.

Wrong! I've been in the Second Ward for longer than I care to remember. (Probably longer than you've been alive.) The last really good Second Ward Rep., before the Grey Panther and Curly Top, was Joe Walsh.

"REAL" competition? How about Sherry's first time out ? She ran against Vartan's very popular Ralph Cattafi, the incumbent, and beat him handily. She was later challenged by Little League favorite, Glen Ware and PTA activist, Ginny Santos. And guess what? She beat them and all other comers. Pettigrew was challenged by a Portuguese-speaking Paul Lopes. And guess what? She beat him, too! Carol Jean Doyle is probably the best campaigner around. Some have come close, but nobody has beat her in a ward that was considered a Republican stronghold. Arce beat Cicchino, a four or five term incumbent; and Eckle beat your guy Mangin, also an incumbent. McCurrie beat the handsome and street savvy incumbent, Anthony Paglia.

No, the "girls" have not "had an easier time of it". They have earned their success the hard way-by waging smart campaigns and by winning elections.

You better check your facts before making a dumb statement like that again!

Guest long time in second ward

I agree with you that we HAD very effective council people here in the second ward.I lived in the second ward for 40 years and the council we have now is the worse. We do not need council people who YES the Mayor all the time especially when the Mayor is wrong about a issue. Santos and the council must go. We need someone honest..Mr. Mangin would be a excellent Mayor. The next election I will be running for council in the second ward.

Guest A. Realist
Wrong! I've been in the Second Ward for longer than I care to remember. (Probably longer than you've been alive.) The last really good Second Ward Rep., before the Grey Panther and Curly Top, was Joe Walsh.

"REAL" competition? How about Sherry's first time out ? She ran against Vartan's very popular Ralph Cattafi, the incumbent, and beat him handily. She was later challenged by Little League favorite, Glen Ware and PTA activist, Ginny Santos. And guess what? She beat them and all other comers. Pettigrew was challenged by a Portuguese-speaking Paul Lopes. And guess what? She beat him, too! Carol Jean Doyle is probably the best campaigner around. Some have come close, but nobody has beat her in a ward that was considered a Republican stronghold. Arce beat Cicchino, a four or five term incumbent; and Eckle beat your guy Mangin, also an incumbent. McCurrie beat the handsome and street savvy incumbent, Anthony Paglia.

No, the "girls" have not "had an easier time of it".  They have earned their success the hard way-by waging smart campaigns and by winning elections.

Before you start firing missiles, I realized after posting that Susan McCurrie replaced the other handsome and street savvy Fourth Ward Councilman, Mike Kelly. The "yes girl " who beat Paglia is Mike Landy. Just goes to show, you shouldn't post after a few bourbons.

Guest A. Realist
I agree with you that we HAD very effective council people here in the second ward.I lived in the second ward for 40 years and the council we have now is the worse. We do not need council people who YES the Mayor all the time especially when the Mayor is wrong about a issue. Santos and the council must go. We need someone honest..Mr. Mangin would be a excellent Mayor. The next election I will be running for council in the second ward.

Better put on your thinking cap, your walking shoes and your seat belt---you're in for a bumpy ride, my friend!!

Guest HONESTY
Better put on your thinking cap, your walking shoes and your seat belt---you're in for a bumpy ride, my friend!!

THATS FINE I LOVE BUMPY RIDES AND I LOVE A GOOD FIGHT.NOW GO TO YOUR SANTOS ALTAR AND YOUR IDIOLS AND PRAY. WE NEED HONEST PEOPLE AND THATS WHAT MR. MANGIN IS.JUST WAIT AND SEE ALL THE DIRT WILL BE OUT ON SANTOS AND HIS CREW. THIS ONE ISSUE WILL BRING HIM DOWN AND HE WILL HIDE LIKE A HERMIT CRAB..I PROMISE..

Guest Guest

No, the "girls" have not "had an easier time of it".  They have earned their success the hard way-by waging smart campaigns and by winning elections.

So that's what you call competition? Not much happening there. And now there's so much apathy that no one even runs.

Carol Jean the "best campaigner". What about her mayoral bids? I think she'd sell the Boy Prince out in a second to be mayor.

Do you live in the part of the second ward that floods when it rains and the sewage backs up into the homes? The "yes girls" never seem to answer any of those posts. As a matter of fact, there seem to be numerous posts they "miss".

The sad part; it's not supposed to be about the success that the "yes girls" have

had. It's supposed to be about how they represent the people of the second ward. It seems they do what they want to do and ignore the opinion of the majority of the people they represent.

Guest A. Realist
Goad? Probably. Insult? Wrong. If you haven't noticed my posts to you are always responses to something you wrote about me - including some insults. If you take my responses as insults, here's how you control that - stop posting about me. It's clear your m.o. is to post about me and wait for my response. My response will include a challenge to you on the facts which you ignore. Then, you call my post an insult, but never mention my challenge. Like I told your sister, you can't have it both ways.

As for the clues, give it up already. I figured out who you are a long time ago (see my post of April 21). It's no wonder why you won't take up any of my challenges on the facts. Unless, of course you agree with me. Ball's in your court (and has been for some time). I'm guessing you still can't prove me wrong.

Jim Mangin

Jimbo,

You're missing my point, as usual. It isn't that you haven't tried to insult me. It's that I won't allow it. It is my prerogative whether to be insulted, whether to respond, whether to ignore. I decide, not you! Who says I can't have it both ways?

And no, you have NOT guessed who I am. I have no sisters; and I didn't say I was a lawyer or that I even graduated law school. I said I went to law school. I have also gone to cooking school but I'm not a chef. (Yet another clue)

Guest A. Realist
So that's what you call competition? Not much happening there.  And now there's so much apathy that no one even runs.

Carol Jean the "best campaigner".  What about her mayoral bids? I think she'd sell the Boy Prince out in a second to be mayor.

Do you live in the part of the second ward that floods when it rains and the sewage backs up into the homes? The "yes girls" never seem to answer any of those posts.  As a matter of fact, there seem to be numerous posts they "miss".

The sad part; it's not supposed to be about the success that the "yes girls" have

had.  It's supposed to be about how they represent the people of the second ward.  It seems they do what they want to do and ignore the opinion of the majority of the people they represent.

Yeah, I call it competiton! What do you call it? I'm sure the "yes girls'" opponents will be real happy to read that you didn't consider them viable candidates. You keep citing apathy as the reason Santos & Co. keep getting elected, but there seems to be no shortage of hutzbah on this discussion board. Why didn't somebody rally the malcontents and form a ticket? Tell the truth. It's not apathy. It's fear of failure.

And by the way, fear of failure didn't stop Carol Doyle from at least trying to unseat the anti-Christ, Leo Vartan. She's gutsy and she waged a great campaign.

While I do not live in the King Street area, I do sympathize with those residents. Given the choice, I would never have invested in a home in such a low-lying section, but I am happy to see that this Mayor and Council are doing something to assist those residents.

You're of the opinion that the Grey Panther and Curly Top are unsuccessful in representing their constituents. Apparently the vast majority of their constituency consistently disagrees!

Guest kellyw
Before you start firing missiles, I realized after posting that Susan McCurrie replaced the other handsome and street savvy Fourth Ward Councilman, Mike Kelly. The "yes girl " who beat Paglia is Mike Landy. Just goes to show, you shouldn't post after a few bourbons.

I think Mike Landy is also very hansome!!!

Guest Spin this

Hey your right Magin is not the guy, But it is time for a change. Time to really cut the BOE buget instead of the theatrics the mayor puts on every year with mooney. But Jimmy told the truth and we will all see that soon because numbers don't lie, unless L.G. IS DOING THE BOOKS.

Guest Guest
Yeah, I call it competiton! What do you call it? I'm sure the "yes girls'" opponents will be real happy to read that you didn't consider them viable candidates. You keep citing apathy as the reason Santos & Co. keep getting elected, but there seems to be no shortage of hutzbah on this discussion board. Why didn't somebody rally the malcontents and form a ticket? Tell the truth. It's not apathy. It's fear of failure.

And by the way, fear of failure didn't stop Carol Doyle from at least trying to unseat the anti-Christ, Leo Vartan. She's gutsy and she waged a great campaign.

While I do not live in the King Street area, I do sympathize with those residents. Given the choice, I would never have invested in a home in such a low-lying section, but I am happy to see that this Mayor and Council are doing something to assist those residents.

You're of the opinion that the Grey Panther and Curly Top are unsuccessful in representing their constituents. Apparently the vast majority of their constituency consistently disagrees!

I don't call it competition considering the family background (Cif-Peti) of the Panther and Curly.

It's apathy, just look at the voting stats. You can't even get someone from Kearny to take a half hour and go out and vote.

If Leo was the anti-Christ Carol Jean should have beaten him easily. In the end, he only lost because he stopped putting the Christmas lights on Kearny Ave.

What exactly are the Mayor and Council doing for the people in the flood area? From the look of the posts on this site, it's not working.

I guess the majority of those who are not to lazy to get out and vote do like the Panther and Curly. But I would hardly call it a mandate from the people.

Guest guest

I live on Schulyer Ave. and its a low -lying area not a flood zone. Question how long has the King St. residents been living with this problem? Does anyone know? Also no matter where we live in Kearny no resident should have to deal with this. AGREE?

Guest Flabbergasted

If Leo was the anti-Christ Carol Jean should have beaten him easily. In the end, he only lost because he stopped putting the Christmas lights on Kearny Ave.

Wow, what a ridiculous post! You must have very selective memory or dementia. No one cared about Christmas lights on the Avenue, but we sure got pissed about losing the rights to our water department and the fact that Vartan was constantly being investigated. Eventually one of the investigations proved fruitful. It was his arrogance and dishonesty that got him tossed. I think Mrs. Doyle's campaign helped to open some eyes to what was going on.

Guest Flabbergasted

I don't call it competition considering the family background (Cif-Peti) of the Panther and Curly.

Please explain what that means. Are they rich? Are they Mafia? Are people intimidated by their family name? Or are you just jealous?

It would appear to me that they get their petitions signed and put their name out there just like anyone else who is interested. The only difference is, they always win. Isn't that the goal when you run for office? You try to win, so you can serve.

I don't get some of you people. You sit at home doing nothing but complaining and then you criticize those who try to do something. Did any of you ever sign up to go to one of Mrs. Sherry's house meetings? I have, and it was terriific.

Guest A. Realist

It's apathy, just look at the voting stats.  You can't even get someone from Kearny to take a half hour and go out and vote.

If Leo was the anti-Christ Carol Jean should have beaten him easily.  In the end, he only lost because he stopped putting the Christmas lights on Kearny Ave.

What exactly are the Mayor and Council doing for the people in the flood area?  From the look of the posts on this site, it's not working.

I guess the majority of those who are not to lazy to get out and vote do like the Panther and Curly.  But I would hardly call it a mandate from the people.

Careful! You don't want to incur the wrath of the whole clan, now do you? (That would include Gentleman Al who pummeled his last opponent, Fast Frankie, by better than 4 to 1)

When you cite apathy, do you realize it's YOUR apathy you're talking about? Obviously, they're working hard and getting their people out---you're not getting your sympathizers, who you claim are overwhelming in number, to the polls. Must be you guys who are the lazy ones. So it is a mandate from the VOTERS. You're gonna have to do a better job, don't you think?

Have you been on King Street lately? There is some kind of work being done. One resident told me it is a new pump station being installed. You probably don't want to hear that though. You'd rather just keep on whining.

Guest schuyer ave.
So that's what you call competition? Not much happening there.  And now there's so much apathy that no one even runs.

Carol Jean the "best campaigner".  What about her mayoral bids? I think she'd sell the Boy Prince out in a second to be mayor.

Do you live in the part of the second ward that floods when it rains and the sewage backs up into the homes? The "yes girls" never seem to answer any of those posts.  As a matter of fact, there seem to be numerous posts they "miss".

had.  It's supposed to be about how they represent the people of the second ward.  It seems they do what they want to do and ignore the opinion of the majority of the people they represent.

I agree with you the YES GIRLS do what they want. The real problem here is they cannot answer the people because they did nothing all along to help them.

Guest Honesty

JIM MANGIN FOR MAYOR. A honest man to lead our town.He is the man who will stand up and fight for all of the people in our GREAT TOWN OF KEARNY...............

Guest Guest

Please explain what that means. Are they rich? Are they Mafia? Are people intimidated by their family name? Or are you just jealous?

It would appear to me that they get their petitions signed and put their name out there just like anyone else who is interested. The only difference is, they always win. Isn't that the goal when you run for office? You try to win, so you can serve.

I don't get some of you people. You sit at home doing nothing but complaining and then you criticize those who try to do something. Did any of you ever sign up to go to one of Mrs. Sherry's house meetings? I have, and it was terriific.

I'll point you to the post by A. Realist that follows your post for the explanation.

Basically, they've run Hudson County politics for many years. Hey, if you like the job being done keep voting for them. It sounds like you've already tasted the kool aid. Maybe she should hold a meeting at one of the houses in the King St. area that floods.

BTW, the goal of running for office and serving is to represent your constituents, not your own agenda.

Guest Guest
Careful! You don't want to incur the wrath of the whole clan, now do you? (That would include Gentleman Al who pummeled his last opponent, Fast Frankie, by better than 4 to 1)

When you cite apathy, do you realize it's YOUR apathy you're talking about? Obviously, they're working hard and getting their people out---you're not getting your sympathizers, who you claim are overwhelming in number, to the polls. Must be you guys who are the lazy ones. So it is a mandate from the VOTERS. You're gonna have to do a better job, don't you  think?

Have you been on King Street lately? There is some kind of work being done. One resident told me it is a new pump station being installed. You probably don't want to hear that though. You'd rather just keep on whining.

I guess if one person votes for you and no one votes for your opponent then it's a mandate.

Winning elections is great, the true test is what the person accomplishes once they're in office. Most of them spend all their time and effort just trying to stay there.

I've heard the pump station isn't going to solve the problem. You, the Panther, and Curly Top probably don't want to hear that.

Guest 2nd Warder
I guess if one person votes for you and no one votes for your opponent then it's a mandate.

Winning elections is great, the true test is what the person accomplishes once they're in office. Most of them spend all their time and effort just trying to stay there.

I've heard the pump station isn't going to solve the problem.  You, the Panther, and Curly Top probably don't want to hear that.

The pump station simply makes more money for the Town Engineer. It would be simply cheaper to buy out the property owners, tear their houses down, and create green space for the neighborhood. Mayor Santos is simply an idiot who lets the professionals (attorney and town engineer) make the big bucks while he sits making peanuts.

Mayor, they are laughing at you behind closed doors. Why with your education are you still not working making 6 figures? Because your playing Mayor and they are loving it all the way to the bank.

Guest Guest

Wow, what a ridiculous post! You must have very selective memory or dementia. No one cared about Christmas lights on the Avenue, but we sure got pissed about losing the rights to our water department and the fact that Vartan was constantly being investigated. Eventually one of the investigations proved fruitful. It was his arrogance and dishonesty that got him tossed. I think Mrs. Doyle's campaign helped to open some eyes to what was going on.

Leo's time was simply over, like most things it ran its course.

If you think people voted him out because of the water dept. or a few scandals your a horses ass. You don't even know why you want the water dept. back. Why should Kearny worry about running something they're ill equipped to run. They can barely keep the streets clean and provide snow removal.

Carol Jean would've said or done anything to get into and stay in office, including turn on Prince Al.

Leo may have learned one thing; don't f*** with peoples Christmas lights!!! :rolleyes:

I'll point you to the post by A. Realist that follows your post for the explanation.

Basically, they've run Hudson County politics for many years.  Hey, if you like the job being done keep voting for them.  It sounds like you've already tasted the kool aid.  Maybe she should hold a meeting at one of the houses in the King St. area that floods.

BTW, the goal of running for office and serving is to represent your constituents, not your own agenda.

Allow me to make one obvious correction: my family has SERVED in Hudson County politics for generations and fortunately the people we serve have been most gracious in their support. At one point there was at least one member of my family serving on the councils in Harrison (Angelo), Kearny (Laura and me) and East Newark (our cousin Bill); while at the County level we are all represented by my brother, Al. My Dad also served as Harrison Councilman for many years. It is a fact for which I make no apology. In truth I am extremely proud of it.

Growing up we were all taught by my immigrant grandparents that public service was a duty as well as a privilege and that politics was a noble calling. With all the years of service by various members of the Cifelli family, there has never been one shred of scandal attached to our name. I resent the inference that we have served our own agenda.

I have stated before in this forum that there are months when it actually costs me money to be a councilperson. My private life has been anything but private, the phone never stops ringing and my home is open to everyone; and yet someone is always angry with me. But I really love what I do and I do the best I can. That is a true and fair statement for me as well as all the other members of the Town Council. In all the years that I have served, I cannot think of any of my colleagues, even those with whom I usually disageed, who were in this for monetary gain or self-serving reasons.

How easy and cowardly to make unfounded accusations from behind the cloak of anonymity. It takes no great wisdom or insight to criticize from the shadows. You could do with a good dose of courage and maturity.

Archived