KHS Crew

Guest CrewParent

Guest CrewParent

What? A KHS sport free of scandal and controversy ? The Crew team should be congratulated on their recent stellar showing in the New Jersey scholastic state Championships for both Girls and Boys. It's a demanding sport that requires and nurtures strength, coordination, endurance, communication and most of all, teamwork. The equipment is expensive and I do not believe that a single dollar comes from the school budget, it must be raised by this great group of kids and their parents. The kids even buy their own uniforms. Perhaps the football and soccer kids could learn a lesson from this sport.

This Saturday, when you see a member of the Crew team accepting donations at several locations, please be generous and you can also be assured that this donation is well spent on absolute necessities and nothing other than that. A racing shell alone costs in the neighborhood of 35,000 dollars. They compete against many schools with huge pools of resources and they win! But, to stay competetive, or to even stay 'afloat', the maintenance costs are significant. Add to that the cost of bussing nearly 100 kids to regatta's at least 50 - 60 miles away on a weekly basis. The time, effort, money and labor donated by coaches , kids, and parents is far and above that of any other sport.

even if you don't care to give, take a moment, ask one of the kids about the sport. You'll be impressed.

What?  A KHS sport free of scandal and controversy ?  The Crew team should be congratulated on their recent stellar showing in the New Jersey scholastic state Championships for both Girls and Boys.  It's a demanding sport that requires and nurtures strength, coordination, endurance, communication and most of all, teamwork.  The equipment is expensive and I do not believe that a single dollar comes from the school budget, it must be raised by this great group of kids and their parents. The kids even buy their own uniforms. Perhaps the football and soccer kids could learn a lesson from this sport. 

This Saturday,  when you see a member of the Crew team accepting donations at several locations, please be generous and you can also be assured that this donation is well spent on absolute necessities and nothing other than that. A racing shell alone  costs in the neighborhood of 35,000 dollars. They compete against many schools with huge pools of resources and they win! But,  to stay competetive, or to even stay 'afloat', the maintenance costs are significant. Add to that the cost of bussing nearly 100 kids to regatta's at least 50 - 60 miles away on a weekly basis. The time, effort, money and labor donated by coaches , kids, and parents is far and above that of any other sport. 

even if you don't care to give,  take a moment, ask one of the kids about the sport. You'll be impressed.

No money from the school budget? You are wrong on that one. They are a fully accredited school sponsored team. They have a budget just like all the other teams.

Who paid for the damaged shells to get repaired? The shells for which there was no accident report on record as to how they got damaged.

JW

Guest River Rat
What?  A KHS sport free of scandal and controversy ?  The Crew team should be congratulated on their recent stellar showing in the New Jersey scholastic state Championships for both Girls and Boys.  It's a demanding sport that requires and nurtures strength, coordination, endurance, communication and most of all, teamwork.  The equipment is expensive and I do not believe that a single dollar comes from the school budget, it must be raised by this great group of kids and their parents. The kids even buy their own uniforms. Perhaps the football and soccer kids could learn a lesson from this sport. 

This Saturday,  when you see a member of the Crew team accepting donations at several locations, please be generous and you can also be assured that this donation is well spent on absolute necessities and nothing other than that. A racing shell alone  costs in the neighborhood of 35,000 dollars. They compete against many schools with huge pools of resources and they win! But,  to stay competetive, or to even stay 'afloat', the maintenance costs are significant. Add to that the cost of bussing nearly 100 kids to regatta's at least 50 - 60 miles away on a weekly basis. The time, effort, money and labor donated by coaches , kids, and parents is far and above that of any other sport. 

even if you don't care to give, take a moment, ask one of the kids about the sport. You'll be impressed

Guest River Rat

Hey, remember to thank the Passaic Valley River Restoration Crew for keeping that river clean, and debris free.

Guest CrewParent

Thanks to all who gave generously.

I apologize on possibly passing a bit of misinformation, but its a shame that even such a benign posting to this site unleashes skepticism, conflict and negativity. It turns what could be a valuable and popular forum into a hangout for a sparse group of paranoid pessimists.

Thanks to all who gave generously.

I apologize on possibly passing a bit of misinformation,  but its a shame that even such a benign posting to this site  unleashes  skepticism, conflict and negativity. It turns what could be a valuable and popular forum into a hangout for a sparse group of paranoid pessimists.

Mine was a serious question. Have the damaged shells been repaired? If so, how was that funded?

JW

Guest Guest
Mine was a serious question.  Have the damaged shells been repaired?  If so, how was that funded?

JW

It was probably your buddy, Mayor Santos on his $7,500 yearly salary. JoeW just tell us already!

Guest Guest
It was probably your buddy, Mayor Santos on his $7,500 yearly salary.  JoeW just tell us already!

If I knew the answer I would. I'll wait until the next BOE meeting I guess.

The reason I ask is because the track & field team was advised that a mat would be purchased so that the shot put could be thrown on the new field at KHS. This has not happened yet.

JW

Archived