HI EVERYONE!

LADY_THISTLE_DOWNE

Hi everyone! I just found this board on the web, and felt homesick! I lived in Kearny all my life, but left some years ago for parts unknown! LOL! ;)

I am a KHS graduate from the class of '81.

Was feeling a little nostalgic today, so I joined your board.

I have heard lot's of changes went on in town since I left, and was just wondering how my old hometown has been doing for the past 7 years!

I hope to be able to add to the conversation, but will be a quiet observer when I must. B)

One of my favorite places was the Argyle....is it still there?

But, missing home a bit, it is good to be here! B)

So......how is everything in Kardinal Country? B)

Guest Guest 99
Dosen't anyone want to answer my questions? B)

Sorry about the responses, but your post may have scared some of the posters because it wasn't controversial. ;)

Yes, the Argyle is still open, as is the Thistle However the only Scottish butcher shop left in town is Stewarts. Although it wasn't in Kearny, Eagan's closed a few years back, was torn down and now is a CVS drugstore. The Avenue doesn't change much. Unless you really pay attention to the store names, it looks the same.

Many won't agree, but Kearny is still a good town. You can walk the Avenue at night, go to the Lincoln, watch the kids play baseball or soccer or sit in the parks, all without worry. Hope that answers some of your questions.

Sorry about the responses, but your post may have scared some of the posters because it wasn't controversial. ;)

Yes, the Argyle is still open, as is the Thistle However the only Scottish butcher shop left in town is Stewarts. Although it wasn't in Kearny, Eagan's closed a few years back, was torn down and now is a CVS drugstore. The Avenue doesn't change much. Unless you really pay attention to the store names, it looks the same.

Many won't agree, but Kearny is still a good town. You can walk the Avenue at night, go to the Lincoln, watch the kids play baseball or soccer or sit in the parks, all without worry. Hope that answers some of your questions.

Oh, thank you!!!!!

I was starting to feel unwelcomed here, by the number of reads, and the lack of replies! LOL!

That is great to hear that much is still the same....one day I'll have to go home for a visit.

Eagans gone? Egads! That is terrible!!!! :(:(:(

I loved thier Prime Rib specials, and of course, the frenchies and gravy! B) Plus I used to love thier St. Patricks day lunches! And they made a slammin' Margarita too! B)

So, all these folks into controversy, huh? That can make for some lively discussions to say the least I'm sure!

I miss Stewarts too....there is nowhere anywhere around where I live where you can get Link, Meat Pies, or any of the other little goodies they sell! Not even Irish/Scottish products!

Actually, there's not a lot of anything here, unless you like farmland and woods, and long drives to any shopping centers. Not much you can walk to at all, just a couple convenience stores. But, the shore is ony 45 minutes away, so that's a plus since I like striper fishing.

But I also miss NYC too, and the view I had out my windows of the skyline when I lived in Kearny.

Luckily, I pretty much know the secret batter for the Argyle, so at least I can still have my fish and chips! LOL!

Are there still a lot of Scotts and Irish in town (I'm Irish! B) )

I think about the only thing I don't miss is "Mt. Kearny", as we had come to call it...the huge landfill on the Pike on the left past the tressle. I had lived on Laurel Ave., and sometimes when it was hot, and depending on how deeply they had burried it, the smell was terrible.

Did they ever close that landfill, or did they just continue it further out or elsewhere?

Guest A. Realist
I think about the only thing I don't miss is "Mt. Kearny", as we had come to call it...the huge landfill on the Pike on the left past the tressle. I had lived on Laurel Ave., and sometimes when it was hot, and depending on how deeply they had burried it, the smell was terrible.

Did they ever close that landfill, or did they just continue it further out or elsewhere?

I could be wrong, but me thinks I smell a "plant" here---and it ain't a rose. However if you're serious about info on the landfill, just go to the Keegan topic on this board to get the good news regarding the impending treatment plan for the old dumping area. The long overdue action comes as the result of hard-working, diligent, Mayor, Al Santos & Co.

Guest Guest

I take you have been away quite a while. There are less and less Scots and Irish. The old timers have passed on and a lot of younger ones got out. At the risk of sounding politically incorrect, I would say the high school is more than half Spanish speaking and if you stand outside on any day what you will hear is not english being spoken. There are more Spanish, Cuban, Portuguese bodegas and tiny restaurants than any others. There are no more scottie ladies cooking the fish. So whether or not you consider this a plus or minus, it is the way it is, a small, urban, very racially mixed town.(especially below Midland Ave.) Some of us do have fond memories.

Guest Kearny "81

Ms. Downe,

It appears we graduated together, what was your first name ? Also, are you out of state now ?

I could be wrong, but me thinks I smell a "plant" here---and it ain't a rose.  However if you're serious about info on the landfill, just go to the Keegan topic on this board to get the good news regarding the impending treatment plan for the old dumping area. The long overdue action comes as the result of hard-working, diligent, Mayor, Al Santos & Co.

Plant??!!!! What is that supposed to mean? :D

I take you have been away quite a while.  There are less and less Scots and Irish. The old timers have passed on and a lot of younger ones got out. At the risk of sounding politically incorrect, I would say the high school is more than half Spanish speaking and if you stand outside on any day what you will hear is not english being spoken.  There are more Spanish, Cuban, Portuguese bodegas and tiny restaurants than any others.  There are no more scottie ladies cooking the fish.  So whether or not you consider this a plus or minus, it is the way it is, a small, urban, very racially mixed town.(especially below Midland Ave.) Some of us do have fond memories.

Yes, been away 7 years now....That stinks that the Irish and Scotts are mostly gone......sounds like it is turning somewhat into an offshoot of Harrison. :D

Yeah, I have lot's of fond memories. Kinda sounds like outside of some minor cosmetic changes to town, it really (at the core) is not the same. The old mix was what made Kearny back then. That is too bad. :(

Ms. Downe,

It appears we graduated together, what was your first name ? Also, are you out of state now ?

Sandy....Mostly majored in Arts/Literature/Creative Writing. Mr. Kirk used to hate me! LOL!!! :D

No, I am way down in the rural area of South Jersey. It's like nite and day to compare the two (Here and Kearny)!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest X-Kard
Oh, BTW....you can call me LTD, it's easier! ;)

Sandy ?? Did you hand out around the Bright Spot ?? I'm Tom, was on the soccer team. Give me a clue as to your identity ( don't give me your last name). Classes you were in, teachers, etc.

Sandy ??  Did you hand out around the Bright Spot ??  I'm Tom, was on the soccer team. Give me a clue as to your identity ( don't give me your last name). Classes you were in, teachers, etc.

Used to hang out at a place called "Dotties", "Aroma Pizza"," Canon park", "Riverbank Park" the H.S. Stadium, The New Road, Arlington Cemetary and anyplace else we got to after the cops chased us around town from one place to another (LOL!)....don't remember offhand many of my teachers names. Had Mr. Becker for history...can't remember any others at the moment, tip of my tongue.

Used to hang out with people like the Tagues, Mike Edwards, Dietz, Bill Cavalick, Tim Richardson, Pat Nash (most of them graduated in 78-79), various "Frat" people, etc., etc...the cool people! LOL!

Archived