Street Cleaning

Guest Guest_KearnyResident_*

Guest Guest_KearnyResident_*

Have you noticed lately how filthy our sidewalks and streets are? I am not talking about Kearny Ave. Take a walk on Davis Ave by Franklin School. I live near Franklin School and I find it embarrassing to see this mess all of the time (paper plates; plastic bottles; napkins...crap all over.) I think that more garbage cans should be placed on corners, and that the street sweepers SHOULD clean the streets on days that they are supposed to.

Harrison definitely does a better job with their street cleaning and curb appeal than Kearny.

What can I do to see some improvements?

Guest Guestimate
Have you noticed lately how filthy our sidewalks and streets are?  I am not talking about Kearny Ave.  Take a walk on Davis Ave by Franklin School.  I live near Franklin School and I find it embarrassing to see this mess all of the time (paper plates; plastic bottles; napkins...crap all over.)  I think that more garbage cans should be placed on corners, and that the street sweepers SHOULD clean the streets on days that they are supposed to. 

Harrison definitely does a better job with their street cleaning and curb appeal than Kearny. 

Move to Harrison. Or pick up a brom. Just two suggestions.

Guest Guest 99
Have you noticed lately how filthy our sidewalks and streets are?  I am not talking about Kearny Ave.  Take a walk on Davis Ave by Franklin School.  I live near Franklin School and I find it embarrassing to see this mess all of the time (paper plates; plastic bottles; napkins...crap all over.)  I think that more garbage cans should be placed on corners, and that the street sweepers SHOULD clean the streets on days that they are supposed to. 

People cause litter, not towns.

By your description of the garbage it's apparent you feel the Franklin School students are the culprits, with a local, unnamed pizzeria as an accomplice and I tend to agree with you. If it were me, I would talk to the school administration and the pizzeria directly.

On the matter of street sweeping, with the exception of days when there are still snow mounds in the street, my street is cleaned on schedule every week. If this is not the case in your area, call the DPW

and question the problem. ;)

Guest second ward

I agree the streets are dirty. We have alot here to deal with High School students throwing items on the ground and trucks leaving gravel and dirt on Schulyer Ave. Maybe Santos,Sherry and Pettigrew will read this and know that the Second Ward does exist. Its sad because its to late we have been ignored for too long.Did you ever take a look at our roads? They look like Fred Flinstone roads!!!!

Guest Guest

I figured that someone like "guestimate" would reply with a stupid suggestion. I do sweep my sidewalk, and keep my property clean...so let's ignore the ignorants. Your ridiculous answer is not a solution.

I am going to contact the school administration, and the pizzeria, because you are right...it's people that litter. I think that the administration should explain to the students that littering is an offense. We definitely need more garbage receptacles on Davis Ave...and I will pursue this further.

Not too long ago, we sent an email to the Mayor in regards to how run down and unpaved the West Hudson Park (Davis Ave portion) is, and his response was that the area does not belong to Kearny it's Hudson County's Division of Parks responsibily. We then sent an email to that group and their response was "it's not our responsibility", it's Kearny's job to fix that portion of the street. So it's a lose, lose situation. I have never seen that portion of Davis Ave by the park paved in the 26 years I have lived in Kearny.

Guest Guest Who?
I am going to contact the school administration, and the pizzeria, because you are right...it's people that litter.  I think that the administration should explain to the students that littering is an offense.  We definitely need more garbage receptacles on Davis Ave...and I will pursue this further. 

I've got it. Tell the pizzeria that before they give and plates of food to the students they have to write the kids name on the plate. See how many end up on the street then. ;)

I've got it.  Tell the pizzeria that before they give and plates of food to the students they have to write the kids name on the plate.  See how many end up on the street then.  ;)

That is one helluva solution, seriously. I love it!

If I'm not mistaken, there is still a town ordinance which requires store owners to keep the sidewalks in front of the places of business clean of debris. That means sweeping it and removing it. You wouldn't know it along some stretches of Kearny Avenue, especially from Quincy Avenue south. It looks like garbage pails have been knocked over and the debris blown everywhere; it's disgraceful. Regardless of the source, it's still the store owners responsibility to remove it. It really negates the efforts made to improve Kearny Avenue's appearance (Streetscape).

I live near Schuyler School and on many school days I have to pick up the debris left behind by the children from that school. It's not just candy wrappers, it includes water bottles and soda cans. It's not just the children, the occupants of passing vehicles will throw debris in the street which often winds up on the sidewalk or under our cars. The garbage typically consists of Dunkin Donuts coffee cups and wrappers, and bags of wrappers, cups, and napkins from Burger King.

When the children are in school, and again in the evening, the dog-walkers come out and think it's okay to let their animal do it's business on your lawn. "Oh! I pick it up!!!" Not always. They forget that its private property, just like where they came from. One evening I asked one of them why they don't have their animal do it where they live? They gave me a look like they were honestly stumped. I cannot count the number of times my children, spouse and I have stepped in 'it'. It's been so often that we removed our wall-to-wall carpet and gone back to a hardwood floor (at great expense) because it's easier to clean the 'stuff' off.

Even with the recent snow fall the dogwalkers let their animals urinate on the snow on my lawn. One thing my youngest child always wants to do is play in the snow and build a snowman on the front lawn. Not this year thanks to you people who care nothing about others rights, just about you and your animal. I don't have a dog, don't want a dog, and shouldn't have to suffer the by-products of yours.

So, what's the answer? It's not easy to pack up and move as some might suggest. You can't take the law into your own hands. If you approach anyone about it, they take it as being harassed. Who wants to call the police for something like that when they have far better things to be responding to?

Does anyone have an answer? I'm sure there are others out there experiencing similar situations. We need to return to good old-fashioned decency, but how do we get it? I know it's not an 'end of the world' kind of situation, but quality of life is an important issue for many residents.

Guest Guest
That is one helluva solution, seriously. I love it!

If I'm not mistaken, there is still a town ordinance which requires store owners to keep the sidewalks in front of the places of business clean of debris. That means sweeping it and removing it. You wouldn't know it along some stretches of Kearny Avenue, especially from  Quincy Avenue south. It looks like garbage pails have been knocked over and the debris blown everywhere; it's disgraceful. Regardless of the source, it's still the store owners responsibility to remove it.  It really negates the efforts made to improve Kearny Avenue's appearance (Streetscape).

I live near Schuyler School and on many school days I have to pick up the debris left behind by the children from that school. It's not just candy wrappers, it includes water bottles and soda cans. It's not just the children, the occupants of passing vehicles will throw debris in the street which often winds up on the sidewalk or under our cars. The garbage typically consists of Dunkin Donuts coffee cups and wrappers, and bags of wrappers, cups, and napkins from Burger King.

When the children are in school, and again in the evening, the dog-walkers come out and think it's okay to let their animal do it's business on your lawn. "Oh! I pick it up!!!" Not always. They forget that its private property, just like where they came from. One evening I asked one of them why they don't have their animal do it where they live? They gave me a look like they were honestly stumped. I cannot count the number of times my children, spouse and I have stepped in 'it'. It's been so often that we removed our wall-to-wall carpet and gone back to a hardwood floor (at great expense) because it's easier to clean the 'stuff' off.

Even with the recent snow fall the dogwalkers let their animals urinate on the snow on my lawn. One thing my youngest child always wants to do is play in the snow and build a snowman on the front lawn.  Not this year thanks to you people who care nothing about others rights, just about you and your animal. I don't have a dog, don't want a dog, and shouldn't have to suffer the by-products of yours.

So, what's the answer? It's not easy to pack up and move as some might suggest. You can't take the law into your own hands. If you approach anyone about it, they take it as being harassed. Who wants to call the police for something like that when they have far better things to be responding to?

Does anyone have an answer? I'm sure there are others out there experiencing similar situations. We need to return to good old-fashioned decency, but how do we get it? I know it's not an 'end of the world' kind of situation, but quality of life is an important issue for many residents.

It is just a shame that you can not find out where these people live. I would then pick up their left overs from their beloved pet, take a walk or drive to their house and leave them the present on their front steps. Lets see how they would feel when they come in or and and step into it. Gotta love your animal. LOL

It is just a shame that you can not find out where these people live.  I would then pick up their left overs from their beloved pet, take a walk or drive to their house and leave them the present on their front steps.  Lets see how they would feel when they come in or and and step into it.  Gotta love your animal.  LOL

So the garbage men come by, remove the garbage from the curb and returned my pail but left it upside down, handles down. Here comes a total stranger with her dog. By the time I got outside to retrieve the pail the woman let her dog urinate on it. Where do you think the urine went?

The lack of a single iota of respect for each other really amazes me. It happened again this morning!

I walked out of my house and here's a guy with two large dogs walking by, he allows one of them on my lawn and the dog lets loose. I complained to the guy that it was private property and that he should curb his dog and he answered. "What am I supposed to do - it's a dog!" Mister, it's on a leash, are you walking it or it you?

As usual he remarked that he picks 'it' up but that's only part of the problem to which I reminded him that he was still on private property. I also asked him why it can't go on his property and, as usual, he had no answer. He said he didn't want to argue nor did I but he did then remark in an indignant tone, "Hey! I guess it happens every day!" (See my first posting.)

Why do dog owners refuse to respect the rights of others? Its obvious they refuse to do so when after complaining to them, the next day they return and use your neighbor's lawn!

Will you people PLEASE stop.

Guest Guest
So the garbage men come by, remove the garbage from the curb and returned my pail but left it upside down, handles down. Here comes a total stranger with her dog. By the time I got outside to retrieve the pail the woman let her dog urinate on it. Where do you think the urine went?

The lack of a single iota of respect for each other really amazes me. It happened again this morning!

I walked out of my house and here's a guy with two large dogs walking by, he allows one of them on my lawn and the dog lets loose. I complained to the guy that it was private property and that he should curb his dog and he answered. "What am I supposed to do - it's a dog!"  Mister, it's on a leash, are you walking it or it you?

As usual he remarked that he picks 'it' up but that's only part of the problem to which I reminded him that he was still on private property. I also asked him why it can't go on his property and, as usual, he had no answer. He said he didn't want to argue nor did I but he did then remark in an indignant tone, "Hey! I guess it happens every day!" (See my first posting.)

Why do dog owners refuse to respect the rights of others? Its obvious they refuse to do so when after complaining to them, the next day they return and use your  neighbor's lawn!

here's an answer: pepper spray or use tabasco sauce on any thing the dog may sniff or smell

Guest Guest 99

I walked out of my house and here's a guy with two large dogs walking by, he allows one of them on my lawn and the dog lets loose. I complained to the guy that it was private property and that he should curb his dog and he answered. "What am I supposed to do - it's a dog!"  Mister, it's on a leash, are you walking it or it you?

Why do dog owners refuse to respect the rights of others? Its obvious they refuse to do so when after complaining to them, the next day they return and use your  neighbor's lawn!

Make a copy of this and hand it to the dog owner the next time you see him/her. It took me two minutes to find it on the town webpage under E-Government- Town Code of Kearny. You might be amazed what else is in there.

9-3.1 Leashing Required; Nuisances or Damage Prohibited.

It shall be the duty of the owner of every dog within the Town of Kearny to keep the dog in a pen, enclosure or building except when on a leash accompanied by a responsible person, and it shall also be the duty of the owner of each dog, and of each person having a dog under his control, to prevent the dog from depositing any excretions or from committing any other nuisance, or from causing damage upon any public sidewalk, lawn, park or building; any private grounds, lawns, fences, shrubbery, buildings or structures not owned by the owner of the dog; or any private grounds, lawns, fences, shrubbery, buildings or structures owned by the owner of the dog which are used or occupied in whole or in part by the tenant or the owner. (1973 Code § 68-3)

9-3.2 Nuisances; Removal by Owner.

a. No person owning or in charge of any dog shall cause or allow such dog to soil, defile, defecate on or commit any nuisance on any common thoroughfare, sidewalk, passageway, bypath, play area, park or any place where people congregate or walk, or upon any public property, without the permission of the owner of the property.

b. Any person owning or in charge of any dog which soils, defiles, defecates on or commits any nuisance on any common thoroughfare, sidewalk, passageway, bypath, play area, park or any place where people congregate or walk, or upon any public property whatsoever, or upon any private property, without the permission of the owner of the property, shall immediately remove all feces deposited by any such dog in a sanitary manner.

c. The feces removed from the aforementioned designated areas shall be disposed of by the person owning or in charge of any such dog in a sealed, nonabsorbent, leakproof container.

d. The provisions of paragraph c. shall not apply to blind persons who may use dogs as guides.

(1973 Code § 68-3.1; Ord. No. 12-23-74)

Guest Iknow

Thank God people seem to finally be getting it! Its not the DPW or the Mayor and Council that are the problem. Its the inconsiderate people who live in our neighborhoods who cause the litter problem. Putting out a bucket of recyclables without a lid on the can so the the wind blows Coke bottles all over the street, putting out food garbage in a thin plastic bag so that cats, skunks, racoons and any other four legged night creature can easily get into the bag for a quick meal and in the process spread last evenings leftovers all over the street, it goes on and on. Dogs are a big problem -- I had a neighbor (who I couldn't catch) regularly let his dog go on a piece of newspaper in front of my house and then leave the paper there for me to clean up in the morning. I appreciated his efforts(ha!) but I would have preferred he picked up the paper with you-know-what on it and disposed of it himself. Taxpayers pay a huge amount of money paying to have municipal employees pick up after the pigs who live in this town and I, for one, am tired of it.

Make a copy of this and hand it to the dog owner the next time you see him/her. It took me two minutes to find it on the town webpage under E-Government- Town Code of Kearny. You might be amazed what else is in there.

9-3.1  Leashing Required; Nuisances or Damage Prohibited.

It shall be the duty of the owner of every dog within the Town of Kearny to keep the dog in a pen, enclosure or building except when on a leash accompanied by a responsible person, and it shall also be the duty of the owner of each dog, and of each person having a dog under his control, to prevent the dog from depositing any excretions or from committing any other nuisance, or from causing damage upon any public sidewalk, lawn, park or building; any private grounds, lawns, fences, shrubbery, buildings or structures not owned by the owner of the dog; or any private grounds, lawns, fences, shrubbery, buildings or structures owned by the owner of the dog which are used or occupied in whole or in part by the tenant or the owner. (1973 Code § 68-3)

9-3.2  Nuisances; Removal by Owner.

a.    No person owning or in charge of any dog shall cause or allow such dog to soil, defile, defecate on or commit any nuisance on any common thoroughfare, sidewalk, passageway, bypath, play area, park or any place where people congregate or walk, or upon any public property, without the permission of the owner of the property.

b.    Any person owning or in charge of any dog which soils, defiles, defecates on or commits any nuisance on any common thoroughfare, sidewalk, passageway, bypath, play area, park or any place where people congregate or walk, or upon any public property whatsoever, or upon any private property, without the permission of the owner of the property, shall immediately remove all feces deposited by any such dog in a sanitary manner.

c.    The feces removed from the aforementioned designated areas shall be disposed of by the person owning or in charge of any such dog in a sealed, nonabsorbent, leakproof container.

d.    The provisions of paragraph c. shall not apply to blind persons who may use dogs as guides.

(1973 Code § 68-3.1; Ord. No. 12-23-74)

Archived