Walmart

Guest Guest

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest,

I will not apologize for infusing a perfectly legitimate source of revenue into our budget.  Kearny is, by statute, a member town in the NJMC and as such is entitled to all the benefits offered by that agency.  Would you prefer we didn't take the NJMC money and raised property taxes proportionately?  Come to think of it, that might suit your purposes better.

I get the feeling that you view the term, "budget gap" as a four letter word or some devious plot to bilk the public.  A budget gap is a perfectly acceptable accounting term for the difference between the ever-rising cost of necessary services and the revenue used to provide those services.  All administrations, everywhere, experience gaps when formulating budgets.  The creative ones try to find funding other than extreme tax increases.

PS You don't have to address me as Ms..  Just plain Councilwoman Silver Vixen is fine.

Barbara,

I must've missed this post earlier. I would love to start a debate on some of your points here. But first, I have to give you the opportunity to take back some of these statements. If not, ok - Game on.

Jim Mangin

Guest A. Realist
Barbara,

I must've missed this post earlier. I would love to start a debate on some of your points here. But first, I have to give you the opportunity to take back some of these statements. If not, ok - Game on.

Jim Mangin

Speaking for myself-- I hope the Councilwoman doesn't recant

Speaking for all cool people everywhere--Jim, nobody says, "Game On" anymore

Speaking for the majority of Kearny residents--we don't much care what you have to say

Realist, if you are the only intelligent person posting on this site, as you obviously believe; why waste your time with cretins like us.

You don't know anyone's background, and disparage them nonetheless. You support the people you like, (and you should), but the people that support others, or disagree with you have that right as well.

I have always said that open debate is a good thing, but all you seem capable of is a passing insult, a sycophantic plug for your candidate, and your off. There are no debating qualities to your posts. You may not like Jim Mangin, but he at least explains his point.

I'm sure it bothers him deeply that you don't think he's "cool."

RIGHT ON MY MAN.

p.s. Sure hope that gets me on the "COOL" list.

Guest Radagast
Rad,

I agree 100% with you. That portion of the Newark-Jersey City Turnpike (Harrison Ave.) needs something. And retail is a great alternative to the old industrial sites. But consider this. The NJMC just changed the zone to retail last summer. Walmart is the first applicant after the zoning change. (Some would say the zoning change was made for Walmart).

Why can't we explore other retailers besides Walmart for this location? Why should we (or more specifically, why should the NJMC) jump on the first application received? For all we know there may be hundreds of potential retailers that would love a piece of Kearny, now that the zoning has been changed. Shouldn't we at least look at other potential applicants that might also satisfy some social goals as well as our economic ones? Or are we just so desperate and glad that someone applied, that we should even allow a company with as many documented abuses as Walmart to call Kearny home? Just a thought.

Jim Mangin

Jim,

Its good to see you and Barbara Sherry debating here. Having people who have dealt with this issue directly helps everyone understand it better. I also admire the fact that you use your real names and take all the slings and arrows that come with it. Much better than hiding behind some dumb pseudonym... oh.. wait a minute... never mind.... I still like my little cottage here on the road between the Misty Mountains and Mirkwood. I get to meet so many interesting people. Maybe some day... but..

Anyways... as far as finding some other retailer to locate there, I believe that the land where Walmart is being built is owned by a private developer, whoever owns the old Theobold property don't really know who it is. The Town nor NJMDC has any say in who to bring in to develop. He has the right to lease to whomever he wants. Based upon those circumstanses, any challange the the Town might mount against Walmart would almost certainly fail.

In the past, the Town has fought NJMDC (HMDC) tooth and nail and has not only lost but ended up having no control at all over what eventually happened in that part of Kearny. I think it is better for us to have some influence over planning how both Walmart and the new landfill proceed rather than digging our heels in against an inevitable tide.

We can not stop these things and it is better to fall back and get the best results for the Town that we can. The alternative is that we continue to get nothing at all.

I still maintain a more positve view on the whole situation. I truly believe that we will be better off in a few years because of these things in spite of the fears that are expressed now..... IMHO, of course.

Guest A. Realist
Realist, if you are the only intelligent person posting on this site, as you obviously believe; why waste your time with cretins like us.

You don't know anyone's background, and disparage them nonetheless.  You support the people you like, (and you should), but the people that support others, or disagree with you have that right as well.

I have always said that open debate is a good thing, but all you seem capable of is a passing insult, a sycophantic plug for your candidate, and your off.  There are no debating qualities to your posts.  You may not like Jim Mangin, but he at least explains his point.

RIGHT ON MY MAN. 

I never said I was the ONLY intelligent poster. In fact, of the loyal opposition, I consider you and "Silent" both quite intelligent. I also think you're wrong on some very basic issues. It's not impossible to be intelligent and wrong at the same time. I certainly don't consider sparring with you guys a waste of time, or I wouldn't do it. I really enjoy this!

Disparage people I don't even know? Uh, Uh. I disparage unfounded remarks and unresearched statements. I have no tolerance for vague threats or inane innuendo.

If you think I haven't debated issues on this site, then you haven't done your homework and read all of my posts. But, you know, I see my role more as a commentator on the political parade than as a debater. I'll leave the forensics to Sherry and Mangin.

There are two things that puzzle me about your post. First explain to me how my comments-- good, bad or indifferent-- prevent anyone from expressing his opinion. Isn't that exactly what we've been doing? And wasn't it you guys who whined about Santos and Co. expressing their opinions regarding the BOE candidates? Freedom of expression is not unilateral. You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to think your opinion stinks. Secondly your use of the word "sycophantic" is incongruous to your inference that I am an elitist. Elitism and sycophantism are mutually exclusive.

Finally, I think you're semi-cool, but keep trying!

Guest Guest

Speaking for the majority of Kearny residents--we don't much care what you have to say

Speak for yourself..I for one am happy to see at long last, any debate over any issue. Mangin seems to argue facts and Mrs. Cifelli-Sherry has outrage. So her some of her kids got jobs. If it wasn't one, it was another. Big deal reaction.

Guest Guest

You don't know anyone's background, and disparage them nonetheless.  You support the people you like, (and you should), but the people that support others, or disagree with you have that right as well.

I have always said that open debate is a good thing, but all you seem capable of is a passing insult, a sycophantic plug for your candidate, and your off.  There are no debating qualities to your posts.  You may not like Jim Mangin, but he at least explains his point.

RIGHT ON MY MAN. 

Realist is little more than a Kool Aid drinker. Realist and Guest 99's posts boil down to this; they have the facts and everyone else is wrong.

Spoken like a true Santosian. Of course you don't want the Councilwoman to answer my specific question. That would lead to a debate. And no Santos-supporter, including the Mayor, Councilwoman Sherry, or yourself, wants to debate me on the facts. That's why the Mayor refused to debate me when I ran against him in 2003. That's why Councilwoman Sherry doesn't answer my question regarding her involvement with Walmart. And that's why you won't answer my question about what you posted about me. What are you afraid of? Are you afraid you can't back up your statements with fact, when I can?

Let's try an experiment. You wrote in a previous post:

"Santos is the smartest, most honest, and hardest working mayor this town has had in a very long time. I have nothing to gain by saying this and I have seen 'em all from Healey right to today. He does confront the tax problem. Do the math--those "quick fixes" you refer to have saved you millions of dollars in tax revenue. "

Can you back this up? Probably not. But I'll go you one better. I say Mayor Santos' fiscal schemes and mistakes have cost and will cost Kearny taxpayers millions of dollars in additional taxes. I can prove my statement. Can you prove yours?

Let's get ready to rumble!!!!!!!! Oh sorry, is that not "cool" anymore.

As for not being cool. Are you serious? Try to imagine how much I care about being cool? Just ask my kids. I will say this though - Mayor Santos has called me a racist, heartless, reckless, and even an idiot (yes Mayor, I've read Macbeth). Being called "uncool" by a member of the Santos camp is about the nicest thing ever said about me.

I look forward to your reply, former-fan. Do you look forward to mine?

Jim Mangin

ps - My challenge to you is the same as your challenge to the poster who wrote about Councilwomen Sherry and Pettigrew's honesty. I admire that you defend them by taking that poster to task. But what about you? Can you walk the walk, or just talk the talk.

Guest Councilwoman Barbara Sherry
Spoken like a true Santosian. Of course you don't want the Councilwoman to answer my specific question. That would lead to a debate. And no Santos-supporter, including the Mayor, Councilwoman Sherry, or yourself, wants to debate me on the facts. That's why the Mayor refused to debate me when I ran against him in 2003. That's why Councilwoman Sherry doesn't answer my question regarding her involvement with Walmart. And that's why you won't answer my question about what you posted about me. What are you afraid of? Are you afraid you can't back up your statements with fact, when I can?

Let's try an experiment. You wrote in a previous post:

"Santos is the smartest, most honest, and hardest working mayor this town has had in a very long time. I have nothing to gain by saying this and I have seen 'em all from Healey right to today. He does confront the tax problem. Do the math--those "quick fixes" you refer to have saved you millions of dollars in tax revenue. "

Can you back this up? Probably not. But I'll go you one better. I say Mayor Santos' fiscal schemes and mistakes have cost and will cost Kearny taxpayers millions of dollars in additional taxes. I can prove my statement. Can you prove yours?

Let's get ready to rumble!!!!!!!! Oh sorry, is that not "cool" anymore.

As for not being cool. Are you serious? Try to imagine how much I care about being cool? Just ask my kids. I will say this though - Mayor Santos has called me a racist, heartless, reckless, and even an idiot (yes Mayor, I've read Macbeth). Being called "uncool" by a member of the Santos camp is about the nicest thing ever said about me.

I look forward to your reply, former-fan. Do you look forward to mine?

Jim Mangin

ps - My challenge to you is the same as your challenge to the poster who wrote about Councilwomen Sherry and Pettigrew's honesty. I admire that you defend them by taking that poster to task. But what about you? Can you walk the walk, or just talk the talk.

Jim,

I realize that this tirade was directed at A. Realist, but since I was so prominently mentioned I would like to address a couple of your points.

No one wants to debate you? You're joking! Read the posts! And wasn't every single council meeting a debate between you and the Mayor? In 2003 the debates never materialized because Santos' slate proposed team debates and you couldn't convince your own running mates to participate. Remember? Even now, there is always a public forum for debate. It's called the Town Council Meeting. You haven't been to one since you left the council.

When you refer to the "...mayor's fiscal schemes..." that have "...cost taxpayers millions..." do you mean the profitable sale of wetlands, the creative use of UEZ funds, 2.25 million dollars in NJMC annual lease payments, the 1 million dollar KMUA sewer line sale, or the 3.9 million dollar NJMC revenue sharing---all legitimate sources of revenue, infused into the budget and not raised through property taxes? Which ones do you say have COST us money? I know you must have had a better plan to raise revenue, but you sure as hell didn't share it with anyone else.

Regarding my involvement with Walmart: my history with them is exactly the same as yours. I followed the process in the newspaper, and I was formally advised at the same time that you were--in August of 2004. I believe you were still a councilman then. Did the NJMC advise the Mayor of their negotiations with Walmart? Probably. As Mayor he is the designated development liaison. But let's get one thing straight. There were no clandestine meetings with the Mayor or any other town official.

As to your "coolness": I'll leave it to others to decide if it's cool to mention a past personal favor in a totally unrelated political discussion.

Guest Guest 99
Realist is little more than a Kool Aid drinker.  Realist and Guest 99's posts boil down to this; they have the facts and everyone else is wrong.

Come on, you're making me blush. :lol:

Contrary to your statement, though, I do not perceive everyone else as being wrong. I just happen to love a good debate and use my resources to get as much support information as possible before making any remarks. If you don't like that, that's your issue, not mine. ;)

Guest A. Realist

Spoken like a true Santosian. Of course you don't want the Councilwoman to answer my specific question. That would lead to a debate. And no Santos-supporter, including the Mayor, Councilwoman Sherry, or yourself, wants to debate me on the facts.

Gee whiz! I take a half day off to go to the beach and look what happens! Jimbo creates a new moniker for me. You know, I think I like it. "Santosian", hmm. I'll submit the dictionary entry:

Santosian, 1. proper noun meaning one who takes on the qualities of goodness; from the Latin sanctus meaning holy or sacred. 2. one resembling Alberto Santos or 3. used as an adjective to denote winning characteristics, as in: The Santosian team rules.

Yeah, I definitely like it! Thanks, Jimbo.

The debating thing? (Quite full of one's self, isn't one?) You have selective memory. I have debated you and so has the Mayor and the Councilwoman. Frankly, it's become old hat and I don't get a rush from it anymore 'cause it's really not much of a challenge. I made a decision as a kid playing sandlot (wow, that'll date me) that I wouldn't play ball with self-aggrandizing guys who cheated by changing the rules mid-game to suit their own strategy or agenda. (That would be you). But that doesn't mean that I won't be on the sidelines providing play-by-play commentary and rooting for the home team.

Guest I know what I know

Barbara please. When the town pays nothing into pension funds for a total of 5 years, and then is required to pay only 20% of what they owe; you cannot, as the mayor has done, blame tax increases on a "state mandated increase in pension funds."

The ability to delay pension payments was temporary, and everyone KNEW it. When you know a bill is coming, and decide not to prepare for that bill I, myself, call that a scheme. I, like most, plan ahead for my bills. You probably do as well, but in this case, blaming others for the failure to plan ahead is misleading at best, and at its worst, flat out dishonest.

I received the Mayor's mailer, and know that this falsehood was put out to distract the public as to where this blame should fall.

Debate this if you will, defend this if you can. Personally, I find this disconcerting.

Please, no sarcasm. Sarcasm and I are close personal friends.

Guest A. Realist
Jim,

I realize that this tirade was directed at A. Realist, but since I was so prominently mentioned I would like to address a couple of your points.

No one wants to debate you? You're joking!  Read  the posts!  And wasn't every single council meeting a debate between you and the Mayor?  In 2003 the debates never materialized because Santos' slate proposed team debates and you couldn't convince your own running mates to participate. Remember?  Even now, there is always a public forum for debate.  It's called the Town Council Meeting.  You haven't been to one since you left the council.

When you refer to the "...mayor's fiscal schemes..." that have "...cost taxpayers millions..." do you mean the profitable sale of wetlands, the creative use of UEZ funds, 2.25 million dollars in NJMC annual lease payments, the 1 million dollar KMUA sewer line sale, or the 3.9 million dollar NJMC revenue sharing---all legitimate sources of revenue, infused into the budget and not raised through property taxes?  Which ones do you say have COST us money?  I know you must have had a better plan to raise revenue, but you sure as hell didn't share it with anyone else.

Regarding my involvement with Walmart: my history with them is exactly the same as yours.  I followed the process in the newspaper, and I was formally advised at the same time that you were--in August of 2004.  I believe you were still a councilman then.  Did the NJMC advise the Mayor of their negotiations with Walmart? Probably.  As Mayor he is the designated development liaison.  But let's get one thing straight.  There were no clandestine meetings with the Mayor or any other town official.

As to your "coolness": I'll leave it to others to decide if it's cool to mention a past personal favor in a totally unrelated political discussion.

Is she good or what? God, I love that woman! If I was 10 years younger I'd invite her out for an evening of Bingo.

Guest Guest

Spoken like a true Santosian. Of course you don't want the Councilwoman to answer my specific question. That would lead to a debate. And no Santos-supporter, including the Mayor, Councilwoman Sherry, or yourself, wants to debate me on the facts.

Gee whiz! I take a half day off to go to the beach and look what happens! Jimbo creates a new moniker for me. You know, I think I like it. "Santosian", hmm. I'll submit the dictionary entry:

Santosian, 1. proper noun meaning one who takes on the qualities of goodness; from the Latin sanctus meaning holy or sacred. 2. one resembling Alberto Santos or 3. used as an adjective to denote winning characteristics, as in: The Santosian team rules.

Yeah, I definitely like it! Thanks, Jimbo.

The debating thing? (Quite full of one's self, isn't one?) You have selective memory. I have debated you and so has the Mayor and the Councilwoman. Frankly, it's become old hat and I don't get a rush from it anymore 'cause it's really not much of a challenge. I made a decision as a kid playing sandlot (wow, that'll date me) that I wouldn't play ball with self-aggrandizing guys who cheated by changing the rules mid-game to suit their own strategy or agenda. (That would be you). But that doesn't mean that I won't be on the sidelines providing play-by-play commentary and rooting for the home team.

You forgot blindly following the ways and ideals of A.G. Santos. :lol:

Guest RADAGAST

Silly me... I thought we were talking about WalMart. Noooo... we're just beating the crap out of whoever it is we don't like.

A word from the wise, folks... I think that everyone would acknowledge that the Town of Kearny has problems. What they are and how big they are should be what we're talking about here. Normal everyday people have posted thoughts on the internet over the past few years that have literally changed history. They researched and turned over rocks that main stream news organizations wouldn't touch and performed a real service for their fellow citizens. Unfortunatly, most discussion boards are clogged with the toxic stream that has invaded here.

I've known 10 Kearny mayors and more councilpeople than I can count. Granted, there were some bad apples but for the most part they all, Republican, Democratic and that one Independent, left their mark and managed to achieve at least a little good.... even Leo. So forgive me if I can't find my place in this chorus of crap throwing and egocentric and anonymous (which is so wierd) venting. I've always thought that those who attack someone personally from the safety of a name like 'guest' are truly the lowest form of life.

Whenever everyone wants to get back to talking about issues... gimme a ring, OK?

Guest Guest
Silly me... I thought we were talking about WalMart. Noooo... we're just beating the crap out of whoever it is we don't like.

A word from the wise, folks... I think that everyone would acknowledge that the Town of Kearny has problems. What they are and how big they are should be what we're talking about here. Normal everyday people have posted thoughts on the internet over the past few years that have literally changed history. They researched and turned over rocks that main stream news organizations wouldn't touch and performed a real service for their fellow citizens. Unfortunatly, most discussion boards are clogged with the toxic stream that has invaded here.

I've known 10 Kearny mayors and more councilpeople than I can count. Granted, there were some bad apples but for the most part they all, Republican, Democratic and that one Independent, left their mark and managed to achieve at least a little good.... even Leo. So forgive me if I can't find my place in this chorus of crap throwing and egocentric and anonymous (which is so wierd) venting. I've always thought that those who attack someone personally from the safety of a name like 'guest' are truly the lowest form of life. 

Whenever everyone wants to get back to talking about issues... gimme a ring, OK?

Not much difference posting as guest or Radagast if you ask me.

And it's funny for someone against personal attacks to call people who post under guest "the lowest form of life".

Guest Guest
How about we revise that to, "BOLDLY following the ways and ideals of A.G. Santos"? Much better!

I like boldly except that there's nothing bold about the guy.

Never trust a man that can't throw a baseball properly on opening day! :lol:

Guest A. Realist
I like boldly except that there's nothing bold about the guy. 

Never trust a man that can't throw a baseball properly on opening day! :lol:

Ah, but I'll bet you can't interpret the Constitution the way he can!

Guest Guest
Not much difference posting as guest or Radagast if you ask me. 

And it's funny for someone against personal attacks to call people who post under guest "the lowest form of life".

Well Guest ... I obviously have no problem with anonymous posting, however, my general reference to those who use it to hide behind personal attacks on those who choose let everyone know who they are... are indeed cowards and the lowest form of life. IMHO, of course.

There's a difference between a general reference to a group of loathsome people and attacking someone's family members simply because you disagree with them.

I'm sure you're smart enough to see that and I'm surprised that you would proffer such an argument.

Much could be accomplished in discussing and debating these issues here. It seems, however, that the selfish need of a few to use this board to get even or whatever, with former and present officials is, to say the least, counterproductive.

Jim,

No one wants to debate you? You're joking!  Read  the posts!  And wasn't every single council meeting a debate between you and the Mayor?  In 2003 the debates never materialized because Santos' slate proposed team debates and you couldn't convince your own running mates to participate. Remember?  Even now, there is always a public forum for debate.  It's called the Town Council Meeting.  You haven't been to one since you left the council.

When you refer to the "...mayor's fiscal schemes..." that have "...cost taxpayers millions..." do you mean the profitable sale of wetlands, the creative use of UEZ funds, 2.25 million dollars in NJMC annual lease payments, the 1 million dollar KMUA sewer line sale, or the 3.9 million dollar NJMC revenue sharing---all legitimate sources of revenue, infused into the budget and not raised through property taxes?  Which ones do you say have COST us money?  I know you must have had a better plan to raise revenue, but you sure as hell didn't share it with anyone else.

Regarding my involvement with Walmart: my history with them is exactly the same as yours.  I followed the process in the newspaper, and I was formally advised at the same time that you were--in August of 2004.  I believe you were still a councilman then.  Did the NJMC advise the Mayor of their negotiations with Walmart? Probably.  As Mayor he is the designated development liaison.  But let's get one thing straight.  There were no clandestine meetings with the Mayor or any other town official.

Barbara,

A couple of clarifications:

First, on the 2003 debate (that never materialized). I challenged the Mayor to a one-on-one debate. He would only agree if all candidates were included. You're right, I couldn't convince the rest of my slate, so I re-stated my one-on-one challenge to the Mayor and he refused. As I recall, he pulled a no-show at his mayoral debate with Hal Delaney two years earlier.

As to fiscal "schemes," I am referring to:

- bonding in 2002 to cover the $1.2 million defecit in the Water Dept (costing taxpayers interest for the next 15 years)

- over-paying North Jersey Water for East Orange's water allotment from Jan-Mar 2001 and not lifting a finger to recoup it for Kearny taxpayers

- ignoring (and denying the existence of) almost $2 million in capital surplus as an alternative to the 2004 bond, costing taxpayers almost $500,000 in administrative costs

- failing to properly research the zoning ordinance prohibiting sex offenders in South Kearny, costing taxpayers $400,000 a year

- ignoring our water consultant's recommendation to put some of the proceeds from the 2003 water rate increase into a Rate Stabilization Fund, postponing the next water rate increase until 2014. Instead we raised water rates again in 2004.

I could go on, but this is getting long.

Regarding Walmart, thank you for answering my question. But, don't you think the Mayor should have spoken to you about his discussions with Walmart? You have been his strongest defender and ally. I can understand (but not agree with) his decision to not tell me. But, it's your ward. I think he should have told you.

As to my "coolness," Oh well, I guess apology not accepted. That's ok. You know what I've learned from being Dickie and Jay Mangin's kid. One taught me not to ever stay mad at anyone, and the other taught me life's too short.

Jim Mangin

I made a decision as a kid playing sandlot (wow, that'll date me) that I wouldn't play ball with self-aggrandizing guys who cheated by changing the rules mid-game to suit their own strategy or agenda. (That would be you). But that doesn't mean that I won't be on the sidelines providing play-by-play commentary and rooting for the home team.

Dear Al Realist,

So I guess you're not up to my challenge. You are all talk with no back-up. How sad. I am curiuos though. How did I "change the rules"? They're YOUR rules! You put that previous poster on the spot by telling them to provide proof of their statements. I merely said the same thing to you. And I offerred to do it for my own statements.

You are right about one thing. There is no challenge in debating someone like you. I'm going to go pick a fight with Radagast.

Jim Mangin

Archived