Walmart

Guest Guest

Guest Radagast
Has anyone thought of the downside of building this walmart on Harrison Ave. There will be traffic accidents, thefts, robberies, damage reports, arrests, for the police. Fire alarms, fire inspections, accidents, car fires etc for the fire dept. Injuries, accidents, sick calls for the ambulance. And when all your emergency services are stuck on Harrison Ave, and you need them on Madison Ave, good luck getting them there. The town has no plans to hire more firefighters, police officers or increase the ambulance service, as that would raise our taxes even higher, so that means the existing services will have to handle it. Has anyone thought of that, and now what are we gaining from the Walmart. Jobs you say? Most of the jobs will be part time jobs, and there is no promise from walmart of just hiring kearny people. Just something to think about.

Good Lord!! You must find it hard to smile...

Hi folks, old Rad here to offer his two cents on this WalMart thing.

I too have lived in Kearny for well over 30 years and I have a more optimistic view of this whole situation. Many times over those 30+ years I have driven out to 15W and wondered why, after I pass SOS Gas and go under the railroad bridge there's ... well... nothing. Seven miles from the middle of the greatest city on the planet... prime real estate less than a mile from an exit off the NJ Turnpike, a major link to that great city and Kearny has...well... nothing.

Why?

The answer is as complicated as Kearny politics has been over the last four decades but it boils down to a lack of collective will and effort on the part of those who could have made something happen. However, that is spilt milk and it is today. From what I can tell, no one asked WalMart to come to Kearny, it was a corporate decision. Like most, I don't like WalMart. However, its not just about WalMart, its about something where there is now nothing. Other stores are planned for the site and once Walmart moves in other stores are bound to follow it into the vast ...nothing.. that's out there now. Who knows, maybe even an off interstate hotel... restaurants? Too many people I know who live in other parts of the state and drive to New York say... "Kearny... oh yeah! That's where all those landfills are." ... I'd rather be known for the damn WalMart!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest
What makes you think this particular store will affect town services any more than a Shop Rite, Pathmark or Kmart do? Should we now consider throwing them out of town to save money? Oh, and lets not forget the bars with their inherent fights and drunk drivers.

Part two: Jobs, rateables and UEZ sales tax, all in a remote section of town.

The differnce is that the K-mart, shop-rite and pathmark are all located near homes and schools so they dont draw our services away from the center of town, that is the difference. Plus you are adding something that wasn't there. Yes it is probably better than empty meadows or dirt piles, but some changes have to go along with it, as the empty lots do not have many calls for service. The bars are not half the problem they used to be, there are less fights than there was 10 years ago. Walmart is not the problem, planning in advance and looking at the big picture and total cost is. If someone were to donate a helicopter to the police dept people would say thats great what a prize, but now look at the gas it would use the price of training a pilot, supplying a landing sight, and noise it would cause. Well its great if you needed it, but if you didn't why add that expense. I just dont know if we needed another store in our town.

Guest Kuehneman
The differnce is that the K-mart, shop-rite and pathmark are all located near homes and schools so they dont draw our services away from the center of town, that is the difference. Plus you are adding something that wasn't there. Yes it is probably better than empty meadows or dirt piles, but some changes have to go along with it, as the empty lots do not have many calls for service. The bars are not half the problem they used to be, there are less fights than there was 10 years ago. Walmart is not the problem, planning in advance and looking at the big picture and total cost is. If someone were to donate a helicopter to the police dept people would say thats great what a prize, but now look at the gas it would use the price of training a pilot, supplying a landing sight, and noise it would cause. Well its great if you needed it, but if you didn't why add that expense. I just dont know if we needed another store in our town.

Your helicopter analogy is interesting. It is much like the Mayor accepting a patrol boat from the Kuehne Chemical Company to patrol the river next to the Kuehne Chemical Company. The Mayor is so poor at negotiating that he has now accepted responsibility for providing security for a private million dollar company. I suggest former-Councilman Mangin suggest that Shop Rite donate a car to the police department that only goes up to 20 mph so that the Kearny Police can provide security for the Shop Rite parking lot and only works within the parking lot. That will save Shop Rite money so it can invest its store.

Guest Guest 99

All three stores you mention are in the far Southwest corner of town, just as far away from residents living along Belleville Pike as the WalMart site. If you don't want WalMart, just say so, but don't try coming up with excuses that don't hold water.

There is also the UEZ factor to consider. If the area was to get built up with other stores coming into the area, UEZ funds would cover the cost of a police sub-station and the man/womanpower needed. Remember, these funds can only be used in a UEZ designated area, which this site is. ;)

Guest Guest 99
Your helicopter analogy is interesting.  It is much like the Mayor accepting a patrol boat from the Kuehne Chemical Company to patrol the river next to the Kuehne Chemical Company.  The Mayor is so poor at negotiating that he has now accepted responsibility for providing security for a private million dollar company.  I suggest former-Councilman Mangin suggest that Shop Rite donate a car to the police department that only goes up to 20 mph so that the Kearny Police can provide security for the Shop Rite parking lot and only works within the parking lot.  That will save Shop Rite money so it can invest its store.

Hmmm, interesting concept. Where did you get your information from? Was it were the sun doesn't shine? ;)

Guest Guest

If it wasn't WalMart you'd find something else to complain about. I agree with the person who asked if you ever smile. There are so many unhappy people around here. Didn't you ever hear the phrase, change is good? Just let them do what they want and if they fail then you can have your pat on the back, but at least give it a chance before you knock it down.

P.S. This is what a smile looks like ;)

Guest Stunned
Your helicopter analogy is interesting.  It is much like the Mayor accepting a patrol boat from the Kuehne Chemical Company to patrol the river next to the Kuehne Chemical Company.  The Mayor is so poor at negotiating that he has now accepted responsibility for providing security for a private million dollar company.  I suggest former-Councilman Mangin suggest that Shop Rite donate a car to the police department that only goes up to 20 mph so that the Kearny Police can provide security for the Shop Rite parking lot and only works within the parking lot.  That will save Shop Rite money so it can invest its store.

Are you serious? Is this true? If it is, I am "stunned" at the stupidity. Please explain the facts. because I find it hard to believe the stupidity, let alone for a lawyer.

Guest Kuehneman
Hmmm, interesting concept. Where did you get your information from? Was it were the sun doesn't shine? ;)

No. I read it in the Observer. In one of the articles on the last council meeting, the Mayor accepted a $10,000 donation for a $12,000+ patrol boat for the Kearny Police Department from the Kuehne Chemical Company. It's use is not to patrol the Passaic River. It's use is to patrol the exposed river side of the Kuehne Plant. Why else would Kuehne fund it? My tax dollars are paying for security (via Kearny's Finest) Kearny's Finest are now not only going to be patroling the landside of the plant but the river side of the plant. I get to pay the bill. How much has it been so far. Isn't this plant a private enterprise. Let them patrol it themselves or let the Federal Government patrol it since they love the plant so much. Mayor Santos should have said no. Keep your boat. Kearny's Finest were never meant to be your free private security force. But Mayor Santos has been on the wrong side of this issue from the beginning. How does Mayor Santos support himself on his yearly stipend as Mayor?

Guest Gowiththeflow

The Waltons are worth 90 billion plus and sadly spend another 15 billion on Chinese goods that are manufactured in some cases by forced child labor. I would bet dollars to donuts that the west hudson Wal Mart store will do well in the economically depressed industrial area of Kearny. How ever, I feel in turn the Wal Mart Kearny experiment will break even at best and bring nothing grand to the table regarding helping the Town rebound from the economic morose Kearny has developed over the years.

Guest Guest
No.  I read it in the Observer.  In one of the articles on the last council meeting, the Mayor accepted a $10,000 donation for a $12,000+ patrol boat for the Kearny Police Department from the Kuehne Chemical Company.  It's use is not to patrol the Passaic River.  It's use is to patrol the exposed river side of the Kuehne Plant.  Why else would Kuehne fund it?  My tax dollars are paying for security (via Kearny's Finest) Kearny's Finest are now not only going to be patroling the landside of the plant but the river side of the plant.  I get to pay the bill.  How much has it been so far.  Isn't this plant a private enterprise.  Let them patrol it themselves or let the Federal Government patrol it since they love the plant so much.  Mayor Santos should have said no.  Keep your boat.  Kearny's Finest were never meant to be your free private security force.  But Mayor Santos has been on the wrong side of this issue from the beginning. How does Mayor Santos support himself on his yearly stipend as Mayor?

There is one problem with blaming the Mayor for this... It is NOT his fault for once. Noone who has read my postings over the years can say that i Favor Santos, but he doesnt deserve the blame on this. Dept of Homeland Security MANDATES that KPD has the responsibility AND the Accountability for Security at Kuehne Chemical. KPD was getting another Boat anyway, Since they got rid of the one that they had, there have been a number of incidents in both the Passaic and Hackensack Rivers, including deaths that may have been averted had t at least ONE of the Town's Emergency Services had access to a boat, and not had to wait for Nutley, Lyndhurst, or Rutherford to come here. Much like the calls for the FD to be turned to volunteer, it's all fun and games till its you and yours that have to wait until the volunteers get there, suit up and start fighting the fire. If it was your family member in the river for whatever reason, you'd be at the next council meeting screeming about how the Town, the PD, and the FD, were negligent in not having a boat.

Guest Kuehneman
There is one problem with blaming the Mayor for this... It is NOT his fault for once.  Noone who has read my postings over the years can say that i Favor Santos, but he doesnt deserve the blame on this.  Dept of Homeland Security MANDATES that KPD has the responsibility AND the Accountability for Security at Kuehne Chemical.  KPD was getting another Boat anyway, Since they got rid of the one that they had, there have been a number of incidents in both the Passaic and Hackensack Rivers, including deaths that may have been averted had t at least ONE of the Town's Emergency Services had access to a boat, and not had to wait for Nutley, Lyndhurst, or Rutherford to come here.  Much like the calls for the FD to be turned to volunteer, it's all fun and games till its you and yours that have to wait until the volunteers get there, suit up and start fighting the fire.  If it was your family member in the river for whatever reason, you'd be at the next council meeting screeming about how the Town, the PD, and the FD, were negligent in not having a boat.

You cannot convince me that the boat is not going to be primarily used to secure the water side of the Kuehne Chemical Plant. Senator Corzine has been trying to address this issue but former Governor McGreevey and our Mayor have been siding with the chemical industry. My taxpayer dollars are funding a privately held company's security that is simply wrong and the Mayor has done nothing about it and he is wrong.

Guest Guest 99
No.  I read it in the Observer.  In one of the articles on the last council meeting, the Mayor accepted a $10,000 donation for a $12,000+ patrol boat for the Kearny Police Department from the Kuehne Chemical Company.  It's use is not to patrol the Passaic River.  It's use is to patrol the exposed river side of the Kuehne Plant.  Why else would Kuehne fund it?  My tax dollars are paying for security (via Kearny's Finest) Kearny's Finest are now not only going to be patroling the landside of the plant but the river side of the plant.  I get to pay the bill.  How much has it been so far.  Isn't this plant a private enterprise.  Let them patrol it themselves or let the Federal Government patrol it since they love the plant so much.  Mayor Santos should have said no.  Keep your boat.  Kearny's Finest were never meant to be your free private security force.  But Mayor Santos has been on the wrong side of this issue from the beginning. How does Mayor Santos support himself on his yearly stipend as Mayor?

It never ceases to amaze me how people get so worked up about something they think they read. And then can't wait to spread the untruth by posting it. What you really read was:

The Observer

March 30, 2005

"Kearny officials are also looking into purchasing a 15-foot Boston Whaler boat package from Ocean Beach Marine for the amount of $12,740. The lion’s share of the funding for the police boat is being covered by a $10,000 donation from Kuehne Chemical."

No more, no less. What you read into it, and so aptly made appear as part of the article, was its use at the Kuehne property. Kearny is not responsible for river patrol at that site, or any other site for that matter, and will not be doing it. Towns do not own nor patrol waterways in the State of New Jersey. That falls on the State Division of Fish and Game and/or the Coast Guard.

The donation, for whatever reason it was given, was accepted by The Mayor and Town Council, not just the Mayor, by an 8-0 vote. ;)

Guest Kueheman
It never ceases to amaze me how people get so worked up about something they think they read. And then can't wait to spread the untruth by posting it. What you really read was:

The Observer 

March 30, 2005

"Kearny officials are also looking into purchasing a 15-foot Boston Whaler boat package from Ocean Beach Marine for the amount of $12,740. The lion’s share of the funding for the police boat is being covered by a $10,000 donation from Kuehne Chemical."

No more, no less. What you read into it, and so aptly made appear as part of the article, was its use at the Kuehne property. Kearny is not responsible for river patrol at that site, or any other site for that matter, and will not be doing it. Towns do not own nor patrol waterways in the State of New Jersey. That falls on the State  Division of Fish and Game and/or the Coast Guard.

The donation, for whatever reason it was given, was accepted by The Mayor and Town Council, not just the Mayor, by an 8-0 vote. ;)

Is that the "yes, Mayor Council" you are referring to.

If we are not patroling the waterways, what will the Kearny Police be doing with the boat? Fishing in the Passaic River.

If I asked the Chief whether his men/women will ever be on the river next to the plant? What will be his answer? Yes or No.

Guest Guest 99
Is that the "yes, Mayor Council" you are referring to.

If we are not patroling the waterways, what will the Kearny Police be doing with the boat?  Fishing in the Passaic River.

If I asked the Chief whether his men/women will ever be on the river next to the plant?  What will be his answer?  Yes or No.

Why would you ask the Chief that, when the real question to ask is, "Will your people be using the boat in an ongoing basis to patrol the waters by the Kuehne site"?

A 15 foot Boston Whaler is one of the most used boats for emergency rescue and recovery operations on rivers. That's the purpose of the boat! ;)

Guest Kuehneman
Why would you ask the Chief that, when the real question to ask is, "Will your people be using the boat in an ongoing basis to patrol the waters by the Kuehne site"?

A 15 foot Boston Whaler is one of the most used boats for emergency rescue and recovery operations on rivers. That's the purpose of the boat! ;)

That's fair, your question is more to the point. So Chief Dowie what's your answer.

Do you agree with me that what the Mayor wants is what the Mayor gets (Yes, Mayor) and that we now have a Mayor and a yes council.

Guest Guestimate
Noone who has read my postings over the years can say that i Favor Santos, but he doesnt deserve the blame on this. 

How would we know? Are you responsible for every post made by "Guest"?

Guest Guest 99
That's fair, your question is more to the point.  So Chief Dowie what's your answer.

Do you agree with me that what the Mayor wants is what the Mayor gets (Yes, Mayor) and that we now have a Mayor and a yes council.

I think your question should be answered by the members of the Council. They would be the ones to know when an issue or idea is discussed or turned down prior to making it to an open public meeting.

I find it odd, though, that people such as yourself, get concerned when a group like the Town Council are working together as a cohesive unit. Why is that not a good thing? Or would you prefer bickering and fighting at all the meetings?;)

Is Walmart coming to Kearny.  Is the Mayor and Councilmembers supporting Walmart and how is that going to impact the businesses on Kearny avenue.

Not to mention Walmarts reputation for shady hiring practices, and the unfair way they treat thier laborers. Walmarts Corporate business practices allow them to get away with far too much.

They may offer great deals, but at what price?

Guest Mr BMG/50

If there is a possibility of a FTO "Foreign Terrorist Organization" threat from either the water way or from the air at Khune then the Town should spring for and arm the Khune task force with a couple of Cobb FA 50 T's this weapon is not only a great equalizer it is a necessity to those who stand in harms way and understand the complex objectives of these radical islamic parasites whose agents of deception transverse this great land under many guises allegedly awaiting their Jihad orders of destruction. Remember America is at WAR with no front line of demarcation and I feel to keep the element of surprize all counter terrorist security matters from this point forward should be handled by eyes only personnell in a closed session forum

Guest Guest
If there is a possibility of a FTO "Foreign Terrorist Organization" threat from either the water way or from the air at Khune then the Town should spring for and arm the Khune task force with a couple of Cobb FA 50 T's this weapon is not only a great equalizer it is a necessity to those who stand in harms way and understand the complex objectives of these radical islamic parasites whose agents of deception transverse this great land under many guises allegedly awaiting their Jihad orders of destruction. Remember America is at WAR with no front line of demarcation and I feel to keep the element of surprize all counter terrorist security matters from this point forward should be handled by eyes only personnell in a closed session forum

Gotcha, Sarge! We gotta stop these commie...eerrr.. pinko...eerrr.. oh yeah, Islamic parasites any way we can. I say we not only arm the police with these big daddy Cobb 50 calibre machine guns but evey security guard in all of South Kearny... and in Jersey City too! Let's not take any chances that those FTO's sneakin' past us. Hell, why would a boat be comin' up the Hacky anyway? All they do is snarl up traffic on the bridge... I say we blow them all out of the water!

This is America, baby! We got no room for reigious fanatics who want to make us all kow tow to their God! Who the hell do they think they are anyway, Fundie Christians!!!! OOOOO AAAAHHH! Baby! Mowem' all down!

Jim, Jim, Jim

It's so good to see that your loss at the polls hasn't dampened your sense of humor or your flair for the dramatic.

First let's address the most telling (about you,that is) remark in your response: the personal reference to my grandson, *****.  I found that little snipe unworthy of you and generally find it unbecoming when someone mentions a past kindness.  Tacky!

I found most of your comments to be the same old rhetoric but there were a few points that I would like to clarify.  You seem to be saying that Shop-Rite and Pathmark have a more benign effect on our small businesses because, "....they don't rely on a Kearny cutomer base."  NEITHER WILL WALMART.  Isn't that the very point I was making?  We're not talking about recirculating the same ten shoppers.  The customer base will be expanded. 

Your villification of the NJMC may have some basis in past wrongs, but I'd like to believe that the new leadership, especially in Susan Bass Levin, has shown some earnest efforts to treat Kearny in a fair manner.  Of course, time will be the ultimate judge of whether or not these efforts are meaningful.  In the meantime, the commission has juristiction over areas within our borders and it does no good to foster an adverserial relationship.

Now as to these "secret" negotiations you allude to (or is it illude to): Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but they took place at OPEN NJMC meetings and the mayor spoke about the subject at an OPEN town council meeting in resonse to questions by Mr. Hakim

In the final analysis, in a free society, do you or I have the right to tell anyone where to open a business?  And do we really protect existing business by maintaining the status quo and becoming completely stagnent?

KOTW Note:  This post has been edited for content.  I removed the name of Councilwoman Sherry's grandson.  Because Councilwoman Sherry is a public official I allowed the initial post to include the comment.  I have however taken the liberty of removing the name because her grandson is not.

Barbara,

If you took offense at my comment about getting your grandson a job, I apologize. Sarcasm breeds sarcasm. That's why it doesn't belong in any discussion of the issues. Perhaps we should both refrain from sarcasm in the future.

You missed my point about Shop Rite and Pathmark not relying on a Kearny customer base. Of course Walmart will not rely on a Kearny customer base either. It is the Kearny Avenue businesses that rely on a Kearny customer base. That's why I said - if Walmart takes just 50% of a Kearny Avenue business' customer base, that business will close. I also said this would be a drop in the bucket for Walmart's customer base. Barbara, you keep talking about Walmart's "expanded" customer base. I keep talking about the Kearny Ave. business' customer base. That's been my focus, and that's the difference between us.

I also do not share your views at all about the "benevolent" NJMC. With all due respect to Susan Bass Levin, the NJMC only supports Kearny when it is in the NJMC's best interest to support Kearny. Ask the NJMC who is responsible for cleaning up the Keegan Landfill and they will tell you Kearny. Ask me and I will tell you the NJMC is responsible. (Go ahead, ask me. I'll tell you why.) You are absolutely right though. Time will tell. I don't consider my position regarding the NJMC as adverserial. I consider it an advocacy for Kearny's best interests, and not the NJMC's - apparently another difference in our opinions.

Regarding your sarcasm about secret negotiations, you sidestepped answering my original question. Were you privy to the Mayor's discussions with Walmart about coming to Kearny? It was never discussed by the Kearny Town Council in either open or closed session. The OPEN meeting you refer to was almost 6 months after the public announcement. It wasn't publicly announced until August 2004 when the application was submitted to the NJMC. At that time Mayor Santos announced he had been in discussions for over a year. But he never informed the Town Council. And I think he should have. My question to you is, did he at least inform the Council representatives from your ward, or were you kept in the dark also?

Finally, you mention a "free society." This must also include a free market, doesn't it? And a free market breeds competition. And competition is the backbone of our capitalist society. No arguement here. That's why monopolies are outlawed in our society. But is Walmart a player in the free market, or do they control the market? When a company becomes so big that they can manipulate the price market by outsourcing to third world countries, paying a fraction of the labor costs here in the U.S. - that's not free. When workers cannot join a labor union if they so choose - that's not free. When a company like Walmart can decide to close a store (like they did in British Columbia) simply because the workers voted to join a labor union - that's not free. I agree 100% with your analysis about a free society, but Walmart ain't free - they're just cheap.

Jim Mangin

Jimbo,

Guess we can all tell we're headin' into Primary time. Things are heating up. Take a tip from a former fan. Don't engage in a battle of the wits with Super Santos and the Grey Panther. It is a war for which you are grossly under-armed.

Oh, and those bogus postings you try to disguise......c'mon now, try to salvage a little dignity!

First, why would I care that it's "Primary time." I'm not running. I didn't start this discussion. Or even this issue. And if it's all the same to you, I'll continue voicing my opinion and take my chances that some will consider any disagreement a "battle of wits." It's amazing how clearly you can see once the blinders come off.

As for "bogus postings," now why would I do that? Where's the fun or challenge in writing something or saying something, and not being a man enough to sign your name? Really, where is the challenge? Where? I'm waiting. Yea, that's right. I'm talking about you.

Jim Mangin

Jim,

Barbara is right on this one. 

You wrote:  Tax abatement negotiations occur solely between Walmart and the Meadowlands Commission (NJMC).

Wrong Jim.  The NJMC is not a taxing authority.  Only municipalities are.  Only the town can negotiate a tax abatement agreement with a developer. 

Jim, you ignored Sherry's comment about being a "receiver" community and distorted her comment.  Kearny now receives $4 million a year in tax sharing revenue from the Meadowlands Commission.  That is a very good thing, is it not?  Or would you rather raise taxes by $4 million?

Jim, when supermarkets supersized themselves, did anyone in town lose?  When Shop Rite went from a small store on Beech Street to a large facility on Passaic Avenue, how did the town small food stores compete with your employer, Shop Rite, on pricing?  Isn't your position inconsistent and based on personal interest?

Jim, is the "Wal Mart crush" as you put it Wal Mart or local residents who decide to shop at Wal Mart? 

Jim, what does a teenager making $6 an hour at Shop Rite have to do with this discussion?  Nothing.  It's shameful on your part, that's what it is.

Jim, you were on the Council in 2004.  Jim, you were "privy" to the Wal Mart discussions.  Why all the fuss now?  Why the posturing?  The development of Bergen Avenue and retail development has been discussed publicly for years.  The Wal Mart development was reported in the press over a year ago. 

As to your funny math about how sales tax revenue won't go up if Wal Mart comes, that's an impossibility.  That could only happen if every single customer that Wal Mart attracts would have purchased their exact items at an existing Kearny store in the Kerny UEZ zone if not for the Wal Mart.

One last question:  has Shop Rite competed with a Wal Mart with a food section yet?

Hoo boy, where do I start with this one? Let's try tax abatements. Why would we consider giving Walmart any tax abatement? According to Walmart's own estimate they will pay annual municipal taxes of about $155,000 - roughly the cost of 3 additional police officers. That's it. The cost in additional municipal services will be much, much higher. They also estimate 4 police calls per week to their store. No way! Kearny is already in the hole with Walmart on additional police coverage alone - never mind additional services from the Fire Dept, Health Dept, and Construction Code Dept. $155,000 in additional annual taxes will not be nearly enough. They should receive no tax abatement.

Regarding food stores "supersizing" themselves - let's correct some facts. The Shop Rite on Passaic Avenue didn't replace the Beech St store. The two existed for almost 14 years. Anyone who knows John Tully will tell you, the saddest day in his life was when Beech St closed (Beech St. was also the first supermarket to carry the Shop Rite logo). Mr. Tully would have kept Beech St open forever if he could. It was a mandate from Wakefern that stores below a certain sq. footage would no longer be supported. The point is, the Passaic Ave. Shop Rite had no impact on smaller food stores. If they did, the first store to close would have been the Beech St. Shop Rite. Likewise, the only food store impacted by Pathmark, was the Passaic Ave. Foodtown, which lost a lot of business after Pathmark opened.

Regarding my time on the Town Council and Walmart discussions - it never came up while I was on the Town Council. The announcement was made in Aug 2004 and the Mayor stated then that he was in discussions with Walmart for over a year. He never informed the Town Council, nor sought their advice on the matter. You stated the Walmart development was reported in the press over a year ago. What was reported was that the NJMC was considering a zoning change to allow retail. Walmart was mentioned as a potential tenant, not as a serious applicant.

Hope this answers some of your concerns. If not, let me know.

Jim Mangin

Good Lord!! You must find it hard to smile...

Hi folks, old Rad here to offer his two cents on this WalMart thing.

I too have lived in Kearny for well over 30 years and I have a more optimistic view of this whole situation. Many times over those 30+ years I have driven out to 15W and wondered why, after I pass SOS Gas and go under the railroad bridge there's ... well... nothing. Seven miles from the middle of the greatest city on the planet... prime real estate less than a mile from an exit off the NJ Turnpike, a major link to that great city and Kearny has...well... nothing. 

Why?

The answer is as complicated as Kearny politics has been over the last four decades but it boils down to a lack of collective will and effort on the part of those who could have made something happen. However, that is spilt milk and it is today. From what I can tell, no one asked WalMart to come to Kearny, it was a corporate decision. Like most, I don't like WalMart. However, its not just about WalMart, its about something where there is now nothing. Other stores are planned for the site and once Walmart moves in other stores are bound to follow it into the vast ...nothing.. that's out there now. Who knows, maybe even an off interstate hotel... restaurants? Too many people I know who live in other parts of the state and drive to New York say... "Kearny... oh yeah! That's where all those landfills are." ... I'd rather be known for the damn WalMart!

Rad,

I agree 100% with you. That portion of the Newark-Jersey City Turnpike (Harrison Ave.) needs something. And retail is a great alternative to the old industrial sites. But consider this. The NJMC just changed the zone to retail last summer. Walmart is the first applicant after the zoning change. (Some would say the zoning change was made for Walmart).

Why can't we explore other retailers besides Walmart for this location? Why should we (or more specifically, why should the NJMC) jump on the first application received? For all we know there may be hundreds of potential retailers that would love a piece of Kearny, now that the zoning has been changed. Shouldn't we at least look at other potential applicants that might also satisfy some social goals as well as our economic ones? Or are we just so desperate and glad that someone applied, that we should even allow a company with as many documented abuses as Walmart to call Kearny home? Just a thought.

Jim Mangin

Archived