Parking on Elm St

Guest Tired of walking

Guest Guest
most of the cars of those attending the church bear NY license plates. 

Do me a favor count how many cars have a NC (not NY) plates and let us know...And count how many NJ plates...Maybe if you start using what you've learned in you math class back in elementeray school you will know that most of the plates are not from North Carolina! :D

Guest Guest
There are actually 3 churches in a one block area of Elm St. between Quincy and Oakwood.  Two of them have services every single night until after 10 P.M., not just an hour or two on Sunday morning.  Cars are illegally parked on all the corners, and the original poster is correct: most of the cars of those attending the church bear NY license plates.  There are also several apartment houses on the block, as well as multiple-dwellings, adding to the parking problem.  So much for zoning.

There are also almost as many North Carolina license plates in this area as NJ ones.  Why is this being allowed?  NJ must be losing a fortune in registration fees.

Now builders are being allowed to demolish one-family houses and put up 2 two-family houses (which in reality are 3-families with the apartments in the basements) in the same space.  The front yards are double-wide driveways, eliminating yet more street spaces.  Plus, all the new residents mean more cars than can be parked on their front yard, so on the street they must go.  Talk about overcrowding!

And, please, no more of the "move" comments to people.  Not everyone is in the position of being able to.  Believe me, many would if they could.

I agree, its a comprehensive problem and you are right on each issue. However, about the churches. None of them has services every night. The evening services for for The Calvary Chapel and Kearny Baptist are on Wednesdays and Sundays. Kearny Baptist also has choir practice on Friday night. Calvary Methodist only has services on Sunday mornings and they only have a handful of attendees. Remember also that each of these three buildings were churches when the area around was farmland and brush. The homes came later. Its a difficult situation for both the residents and the churches. Churches of course are going to need parking and they will be noisy. A significant amount of worship is singing. Neighbors of course have varying work schedules and they appreciate quiet and privacy. Perhaps if city officials were more open to cooperation, something could be done. Years ago, when the Calvary Chapel was Oakwood Baptist church, they purchased an adjacent house and demolished it hoping to build a parking lot. Both city officials and neighbors complained however. The parking lot would have alleviated parking and could have been used by the neighbors. It just seems as if there is an anti-religious bias. I wonder why people who live near noisy barooms don't complain in this forum. The barooms are open every night until 2:00am and they bring people from out of town as well. Hopefully, as these churches grow, and I believe they will, they will be able to move out of the neigborhood onto major streets like Kearny Avenue or Schuyler Ave. Lets hope that when that day comes the town doesn't deny them the proper variances. Please don't take offense, again, I think you are right, I just feel that the answer lies in cooperation between residents, church officials and city officials.

<_< What do we do about the parking on Elm St.? We have two churches on our block and there really is not enough parking for the residents that live here, nevermind the people that go to these churches. On a weekday night you can't park near your own home, that you pay taxes on, we had to park 4 blocks away,on the weekend it is the same thing, this is not fair. We come home from food shopping and there are no spots available to us. I am speaking for many of the residents on this block who do not have driveways, but do pay high taxes. What can we do to remedy this situation? I wish someone would come up with an idea. The people who frequent these churches do not even live in the area. I am tired of having to park blocks away. I can't even look out and check my vehicle.

Mayor Santos, Do you think that this is fair?

Welcome to what is Kearny. I've been complaining about parking on Johnston ave for 20 years to various town concils to NO avail. The Mayor Santos even supposedly lives 3 houses down from me and still no parking. some mornings I wonder if I live in Kearny NJ or Kearny NY,PA, or North Carolina. To many out of state plates of visitors taking up much need'd parking.Parking has gotten so bad down here that I now spend $125.00 to rent a garage to park my car in.If I woek nights I can't find parking within 5 blocks of my home,yet there's parking on bloomfield ave or broadway in Newark. My family pays $11,000 in town taxes on this house.

Parking's just as bad on Devon street. It really pisses me off when these illegal immigrants (and yes, I do know they're illegal) with out-of-state license plates take up every spot on the block with multiple cars, leave them there for days, and rip up any tickets the accumulate. I don't care what their status is, but if they're going to live here, and going to take up all the spots, they've got to get NJ plates, and actually get insurance.

Your right about Illegals and out of state plate's, while not all are illegal's. Recently I had a tenant move out of my building he was illegal with Pennsylvania license plates. He got caught in Garfield making an illegal right on red. No insurance,registration or drivers license. On the same note I have Brazilians who live up the street who have 2 cars both with NY plates, last year they bought a new car and had it registered NY.The KPD does in fact consider this to be a non priority. In contact with the NJ DMV I was told that the local police must issue the ticket for failure to register. I say their not residents of Kearny but merely visitors taking up our parking spaces. This is evident by their own actions of registering out of state this statement say's I Do Not Live in NJ. The Town of Kearny need's to issue these drivers permits allowing them to park only between the hours of 10:00pm to 7:00am. Leaving all real Kearny residents with parking.

Guest Guest
I say their not residents of Kearny but merely visitors taking up our parking spaces. This is evident by their own actions of registering out of state this statement say's I Do Not Live in NJ. The Town of Kearny need's to issue these drivers permits allowing them to park only between the hours of 10:00pm to 7:00am. Leaving all real Kearny residents with parking.

This is an excellent solution! Many towns do this. No proof of Kearny residency (with Jersey plates), no permit. Then the police can go around at night and issue tickets, generate a little revenue for the town for possibly a department like the Rec Dept. for our kids.