Parking on Elm St

Guest Tired of walking

Guest Tired of walking

:) What do we do about the parking on Elm St.? We have two churches on our block and there really is not enough parking for the residents that live here, nevermind the people that go to these churches. On a weekday night you can't park near your own home, that you pay taxes on, we had to park 4 blocks away,on the weekend it is the same thing, this is not fair. We come home from food shopping and there are no spots available to us. I am speaking for many of the residents on this block who do not have driveways, but do pay high taxes. What can we do to remedy this situation? I wish someone would come up with an idea. The people who frequent these churches do not even live in the area. I am tired of having to park blocks away. I can't even look out and check my vehicle.

Mayor Santos, Do you think that this is fair?

Guest Guest
:) What do we do about the parking on Elm St.? We have two churches on our block and there really is not enough parking for the residents that live here, nevermind the people that go to these churches. On a weekday night you can't park near your own home, that you pay taxes on, we had to park 4 blocks away,on the weekend it is the same thing, this is not fair. We come home from food shopping and there are no spots available to us. I am speaking for many of the residents on this block who do not have driveways, but do pay high taxes. What can we do to remedy this situation? I wish someone would come up with an idea. The people who frequent these churches do not even live in the area. I am tired of having to park blocks away. I can't even look out and check my vehicle.

Maybe Paul, Matt, and Strifey will come to the rescue.

Other than that, move.

Guest Guest
:angry: What do we do about the parking on Elm St.? We have two churches on our block and there really is not enough parking for the residents that live here, nevermind the people that go to these churches. On a weekday night you can't park near your own home, that you pay taxes on, we had to park 4 blocks away,on the weekend it is the same thing, this is not fair. We come home from food shopping and there are no spots available to us. I am speaking for many of the residents on this block who do not have driveways, but do pay high taxes. What can we do to remedy this situation? I wish someone would come up with an idea. The people who frequent these churches do not even live in the area. I am tired of having to park blocks away. I can't even look out and check my vehicle.

How do you know they do not live in this area?

Did you ever ask them?

Would not matter anyway because street parking is for anyone. If you want your own parking space buy a house that have a garage or driveway.

"The people who frequent these churches" pays taxes like you do. I'm one of them.

By the way do not bother asking Mayor Santos for help, he is to busy getting involved where he does not belong (BOE business) :o

We have two churches on our block...

Maybe you should visit sometimes if you live so close :o

:angry: What do we do about the parking on Elm St.? We have two churches on our block and there really is not enough parking for the residents that live here, nevermind the people that go to these churches.

Well, as far as the churches go, parking for their functions is their responsibility to provide, especially considering that even residential parking is evidently such a hassle to 'get' according to you. It sounds like things weren't really thought through when one or both of the churches were built in the place where they were.

On a weekday night you can't park near your own home, that you pay taxes on, we had to park 4 blocks away,on the weekend it is the same thing, this is not fair. We come home from food shopping and there are no spots available to us. I am speaking for many of the residents on this block who do not have driveways, but do pay high taxes. What can we do to remedy this situation? I wish someone would come up with an idea. The people who frequent these churches do not even live in the area. I am tired of having to park blocks away. I can't even look out and check my vehicle.

I do empathize with you, and I couldn't imagine Santos saying "Yes, it's fair." *chuckles* But it's not enough to have a complaint--if you don't have any solution to suggest, then it doesn't really help much. If you come up with something, I'm sure Santos would be willing to listen.

Well, as far as the churches go, parking for their functions is their responsibility to provide, especially considering that even residential parking is evidently such a hassle to 'get' according to you. It sounds like things weren't really thought through when one or both of the churches were built in the place where they were.

I do empathize with you, and I couldn't imagine Santos saying "Yes, it's fair." *chuckles* But it's not enough to have a complaint--if you don't have any solution to suggest, then it doesn't really help much. If you come up with something, I'm sure Santos would be willing to listen.

If these two churches are the ones I'm thinking about, between Quincy and Oakwood Aves., they have been there for many years before families had two, three or four cars. Yes, there actually was a time when there was no parking problems in town. I know the one closer to Quincy has been there as far back as the forties, maybe longer.

It is not the responsibility of the churches to provide parking for its guests, as they were grandfathered against the building codes put into effect for multiple dwellings like apartment buildings and businesses.

Guest Guest

Reminds me of the people who buy houses next to airports, or near bars, then complain about the noise. The Curches were there a LONG time..if they were there when you bought the house, well, that's something you should have taken into consideration before moving there. Caveat Emptor.

Guest Tired of walking
How do you know they do not live in this area?

Did you ever ask them?

Would not matter anyway because street parking is for anyone. If you want your own parking space buy a house that have a garage or driveway.

"The people who frequent these churches" pays taxes like you do. I'm one of them.

By the way do not bother asking Mayor Santos for help, he is to busy getting involved where he does not belong (BOE business) :o

We have two churches on our block...

Maybe you should visit sometimes if you live so close :angry:

Look, I have owned my home here on Elm St. for over twenty years I have one car and I have a one family, yes there are alot of homes even single families that have 3& 4 cars, but it remains the same, I am a senior citizen and I don't think that I should have to unload my groceries and then park four blocks away and then walk four blocks to get to my home. And by the way I do not have to visit any churches on my block, Ihave been going to the same church for over 50 yrs so please dont go there with me!!!! You have your church and I have mine. When the people that go to your church park, they are there for hours upon hours, that is my complaint, and believe me I am not the only one, from what I understand a neighbor came into the church the other night and voiced his opinion, its just starting to get ridiculous, that you can't even run to the store for 5 min.

Guest Guest

Parking's just as bad on Devon street. It really pisses me off when these illegal immigrants (and yes, I do know they're illegal) with out-of-state license plates take up every spot on the block with multiple cars, leave them there for days, and rip up any tickets the accumulate. I don't care what their status is, but if they're going to live here, and going to take up all the spots, they've got to get NJ plates, and actually get insurance.

Guest Guest
Parking's just as bad on Devon street. It really pisses me off when these illegal immigrants (and yes, I do know they're illegal) with out-of-state license plates take up every spot on the block with multiple cars, leave them there for days, and rip up any tickets the accumulate. I don't care what their status is, but if they're going to live here, and going to take up all the spots, they've got to get NJ plates, and actually get insurance.

Hey! like it or lump it, these illegals have more rights then you do. They can park anywhere they like. The police are unable to ask about there legal status, and they get better health care then you or me. How about the free education part public and then college for free. Listen you better get a house with a drive way and then make sure they don't block you in.

Guest Guest
Hey! like it or lump it, these illegals have more rights then you do. They can park anywhere they like. The police are unable to ask about there legal status, and they get better health care then you or me. How about the free education part public and then college for free. Listen you better get a house with a drive way and then make sure they don't block you in.

We have a driveway, but my father-in-law has a commercial truck, and my brother-in-law has his own car as well. Anyway, at the end of the day it's not about status. The cars should simply be towed, because otherwise they usually get their tires slashed mysteriously.

Guest Guest
We have a driveway, but my father-in-law has a commercial truck, and my brother-in-law has his own car as well. Anyway, at the end of the day it's not about status. The cars should simply be towed, because otherwise they usually get their tires slashed mysteriously.

So much for the Moral High ground... :) . Hope you enjoy being behind bars

Have you reported those illegal immigrants? They shouldn't be getting away with what they're doing if what you're saying is accurate.

Guest Guest
Have you reported those illegal immigrants? They shouldn't be getting away with what they're doing if what you're saying is accurate.

I have not reported them, because I believe Kearny police believe it to be a non-issue. There are cars all over the town with the brand new "New Jersey Motors" licenseplate frames, and North Carolina plates like it's fooling anyone (even restaurants such as ********'s are doing this). Coupled with the fact that I know for sure that the owners of the vehicle are indeed illegal, and using out of state plates, I have witnessed them ripping up tickets they've received for parking on the wrong side of the street, and then throwing the pieces on the road a few seperate times.

In fact I have had a dispute with some of them (not the same person, but another teenager using Pennslyvania plates) in which I had to call the Kearny police. They were juveniles, which live out of town (this too was verified as they live in Newark), go to Kearny highschool, and also use plates from another state, but the point is the same. Everyone around here driving with out-of-state plates who obviously live in Kearny (which are easier to differentiate as they are always here), have little or no insurance (which is why they register outside of New Jersey), and so I wonder what happens when they blow the stop signs and I do not stop to avoid an accident. Can I trust that the name and address of one of these people is correct, and that I am going to have my car fixed, or is Joe Somebody magically going to disappear and popup with a new name, address, and plate? As for the previous comment about morals I would just like to state that although I alluded to something I myself have never done it as I always hope that Kearny police will finally pick up on the situation, and take action since they are given the legal authority. Plus our car has had the tires slashed twice.

KOTW Note:The above post was edited for content.

Guest Guest
Look, I have owned my home here on Elm St. for over twenty years I have one car and I have a one family, yes there are alot of homes even single families that have 3& 4 cars, but it remains the same, I am a senior citizen and I don't think that I should have to unload my groceries and then park four blocks away and then walk four blocks to get to my home. And by the way I do not have to visit any churches on my block, Ihave been going to the same church for over 50 yrs so please dont go there with me!!!! You have your church and I have mine. When the people that go to your church park, they are there for hours upon hours, that is my complaint, and believe me I am not the only one, from what I understand a neighbor came into the church the other night and voiced his opinion, its just starting to get ridiculous, that you can't even run to the store for 5 min.

Well, it is simple, move to another place where there are no churches around. "they are there for hours upon hours" That's their problem and they have the right to be there as long as they want. You can continue with your "complainings", the church is not going anywhere.

Guest Guest
:P What do we do about the parking on Elm St.? We have two churches on our block and there really is not enough parking for the residents that live here, nevermind the people that go to these churches. On a weekday night you can't park near your own home, that you pay taxes on, we had to park 4 blocks away,on the weekend it is the same thing, this is not fair. We come home from food shopping and there are no spots available to us. I am speaking for many of the residents on this block who do not have driveways, but do pay high taxes. What can we do to remedy this situation? I wish someone would come up with an idea. The people who frequent these churches do not even live in the area. I am tired of having to park blocks away. I can't even look out and check my vehicle.

One remedy for streets like yours and mine (no parking here either) would be to make the street a one way and have angle parking. you sure can get alot of parking spaces in that way.

Guest Guest
:P What do we do about the parking on Elm St.? We have two churches on our block and there really is not enough parking for the residents that live here, nevermind the people that go to these churches. On a weekday night you can't park near your own home, that you pay taxes on, we had to park 4 blocks away,on the weekend it is the same thing, this is not fair. We come home from food shopping and there are no spots available to us. I am speaking for many of the residents on this block who do not have driveways, but do pay high taxes. What can we do to remedy this situation? I wish someone would come up with an idea. The people who frequent these churches do not even live in the area. I am tired of having to park blocks away. I can't even look out and check my vehicle.

I just wrote a moment ago and suggested angle parking. Well, I guess reading your post again and speaking of churches! I know of a Catholic church (you know the rich religion) that has a very nice parking lot, but does the congregation use it?

NO. Maybe 20% do, they take up all the space on the streets around my very tiny church that we do not have a parking lot. Maybe us Baptists should take over the Catholic lot!

Guest Tired of Walking
Well, it is simple, move to another place where there are no churches around. "they are there for hours upon hours" That's their problem and they have the right to be there as long as they want. You can continue with your "complainings", the church is not going anywhere.

:P Look, I am not out to make trouble, just parking availability. There is a meeting at Town Hall this week, and one of the discussions will be parking. Those of you who post negative coments, mostly have driveways, the people that park here, even the ones that live in the area with out of state plates, do not know how to park, they take up two spots, so that when thier other car comes home they can move up and let them park, is that fair? or even just to take up two spots because you don't know how to park, the town has to do something, they are building more and more houses and where the hell do they expect them to park? One odea is that when a large piece of property goes up for sale, let the town buyit, tear down the house, build a parking lot and have permit parking only, if you did this on every block with a parking problem, this might work

Guest Guest

Limited parking is a problem shared by most residents of Kearny, regardless of whether you live on the block of Elm Street with the two churches or almost any other street in our town. Most of our homes were built before it was the norm to have two or more cars per household. Now, a good percentage of our homes are two or three-family dwellings, with each family having more than one vehicle, (many of which are large vans or SUVs)....OF COURSE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH PARKING.

I wish I could offer a suggestion, as I too, have to park several blocks from home on most nights. It's inconvenient, the sidewalks are not always in the best condition, and many areas are not lit too well .... but that's the way it is. I do believe we could all be a little more considerate of our neighbors: try not to take two parking spaces; if you're within walking distance of your destination (church, store, library, friend's homes, etc.) -- walk.

The malevolent attitude that I've seen demonstrated on these "discussion" boards is disappointing and even somewhat frightening. We don't have to have the same beliefs or come from the same backgrounds to be good neighbors or good citizens. There are so many difficulties and challenges we all face in this world today that I think we should be more selective as to who and what we battle. In the scope of things, is the inconvenience worth all the animosity? Maybe we should all work together to find a solution?

Guest Guest

How ignorant of a response

Guest Guest

There are actually 3 churches in a one block area of Elm St. between Quincy and Oakwood. Two of them have services every single night until after 10 P.M., not just an hour or two on Sunday morning. Cars are illegally parked on all the corners, and the original poster is correct: most of the cars of those attending the church bear NY license plates. There are also several apartment houses on the block, as well as multiple-dwellings, adding to the parking problem. So much for zoning.

There are also almost as many North Carolina license plates in this area as NJ ones. Why is this being allowed? NJ must be losing a fortune in registration fees.

Now builders are being allowed to demolish one-family houses and put up 2 two-family houses (which in reality are 3-families with the apartments in the basements) in the same space. The front yards are double-wide driveways, eliminating yet more street spaces. Plus, all the new residents mean more cars than can be parked on their front yard, so on the street they must go. Talk about overcrowding!

And, please, no more of the "move" comments to people. Not everyone is in the position of being able to. Believe me, many would if they could.

Guest Guest

I feel you pain, I live on Halsead and we too have a real parking problem. We also and some people who live in the block with driveways who never park in them. I know of one person one block over who have five card and two drivers on the house with a large driveway and never, and I mean never parks in it. We need parking stickers like how Harrison uses them. I have talked to my council perosn and that did not seem to go anywhere. The other issue that we have is the parking space size. We do not have spots marked as other towns do. We know where we can not park, but you can park and or land you card anywhere on the block and that is the space.

Guest Guest

The other day I couldn't back out of my drive way because one of those "North Carolina vehicles" was illegally parked in the box next to my home. It's time someone starts cracking down on this. I don't know of a Kearny, N.C.