Matthew's vindication

Guest Paul

Guest Paul

We get the weekend sections of our Sunday New York Times on Saturday. (Our carrier delivers it that way as a matter of routine.) Tomorrow's Times carries an editorial on page 19 of the New Jersey section entitled "Matthew's vindication."

For me, and I hope for Matthew, this is about over. I recommend tomorrow's editorial to all who are interested.

I've got it:

“Matthew’s Vindication”

Some stories have good endings. Take, for example, the case of Matthew LaClair, the Kearny student who last year had the courage to speak up when his 11th-grade history teacher told students that the theory of evolution was scientifically unsound and that only Christians had a place in heaven.

Instead of disciplining the teacher for crossing the boundary between church and state, school officials treated Matthew as the problem, and many students followed suit by ostracizing him. To his credit, Matthew, who had taped the teacher’s proselytizing remarks, stood his ground; his family later took legal action against the school district for violating his constitutional rights.

This month, Matthew, now 17, was vindicated as the board of education, on a vote of 6 to 1, finally came to its senses. As part of a legal settlement with the family, the board agreed to train teachers and students about the separation of church and state in the public schools and the distinction between the scientific theory of evolution and the religious doctrine of creationism. The board also agreed to commend Matthew for his “courage and integrity.”

Matthew said the experience had taught him how hard it is to go against the crowd, but that sometimes it is important to do so. Our hope, too, is that school officials will henceforth pay attention when students stand up for what they believe."

Guest Guest
We get the weekend sections of our Sunday New York Times on Saturday. (Our carrier delivers it that way as a matter of routine.) Tomorrow's Times carries an editorial on page 19 of the New Jersey section entitled "Matthew's vindication."

For me, and I hope for Matthew, this is about over. I recommend tomorrow's editorial to all who are interested.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/20/opinion/...yregionopinions

Guest Guest

It had been a tough year for Matt ( and his family) I'm glad its over. Though many people don't see it now, Matt has done a great thing. I hope now we can all move on...the best way do that is no longer posting, or responding to posts. Let the topic rest and move on. :)