School Cell Tower

Guest Edison

Guest Edison

It is my understanding that a cell tower is going up on the building across fore Roosevelt School. Can anyone tell us if this is going to happen?

Dose anyone know if there are any adverse health effects to our children?

I am under the impression that you could go sterile if you are in close proximity to an antenna for a prolonged period of time……say a school year on the 2nd or 3rd floor.

It is my understanding that a cell tower is going up on the building across fore Roosevelt School.  Can anyone tell us if this is going to happen?

I am under the impression that you could go sterile if you are in close proximity to an antenna for a prolonged period of time……say a school year on the 2nd or 3rd floor.

Noooo no. Cell phones do not cause sterility, cancer, etc. It's an urban legend at best, and a sleazy marketing ploy to sell devices that 'protect' you at worst.

Quick search popped this up right away:

http://digg.com/health/Study_Shows_Cell_Phones_Safe

http://health.discovery.com/centers/cancer...yths/myth8.html

I'm sure you could find more quite easily. Cell phones are safe--whoever put you under the 'impression' you describe above was most likely someone equally misinformed. Sadly, nonsense like this spreads really quickly (the suggestion that stuff like this causes sterility etc. gets front-page coverage, while later studies showing that there is no danger get buried deep in publications, because let's face it, shock sells). :P

Guest Guest
It is my understanding that a cell tower is going up on the building across fore Roosevelt School.  Can anyone tell us if this is going to happen?

Actually, the only known adverse health effect is that you turn into Strifey.

Guest Guest
Actually, the only known adverse health effect is that you turn into Strifey.

I agree with you fully.

Strife, by the way, cell phone use has only seriously boomed in the last 5-8 years.

Not nearly enough time to give hard results on the exposure to cell frequencies.

There have been documented effects of tumors forming in peoples heads from constant overuse of cell phones. I can't even imagine the effects of being in the path of constant cell tower frequencies which are built to stengthen the signal to the next tower.

The bottom line is MONEY!!

Put them anywhere, even across from a school, as long as the building owner is getting his $4000.00 to $5000.00 a month rent for putting it on his roof who cares about anybody else. You see the owner of these buildings don't live there, they're slum lords, but ask if you can build a tower at their residence and I'm sure you will know the answer.

I agree with you fully.

Strife, by the way, cell phone use has only seriously boomed in the last 5-8 years.

Cell phones weren't popular before 1999? Studies have been done ON the health effects of cell phones in 1995, when they were basically all analog and pumping out WAY more radiation than any modern cell phone does! Keep in mind that the USA is largely behind the rest of the world when it comes to this sort of thing. This is not the country to look to when it comes to the latest information on cell phones in general, including health effects.

Not nearly enough time to give hard results on the exposure to cell frequencies.

The quite significant body of research on the subject says otherwise. Maybe not so much in the USA, but cell phones have been around for far longer than you're apparently aware of.

There have been documented effects of tumors forming in peoples heads from constant overuse of cell phones.

Cite, please, because I've never heard of any such thing being directly and definitively correlated with cell phone use. The closest thing to that I've ever heard is this study:

http://it.moldova.org/stiri/eng/24632/

And the most conclusive thing they've been able to say is:

"Although our results overall do not indicate an increased risk of glioma in relation to mobile phone use, the possible risk in the most heavily exposed part of the brain with long-term use needs to be explored further before firm conclusions can be drawn," the researchers said.

Every other study on the subject I've heard of has shown no connection at all. But this is about cell phone use itself, which isn't equivalent to talking about a tower.

I can't even imagine the effects of being in the path of constant cell tower frequencies which are built to stengthen the signal to the next tower.

You don't have to imagine. The information is out there. Why not go look up research that has already been done on the subject yourself?

The bottom line is MONEY!!

Put them anywhere, even across from a school, as long as the building owner is getting his $4000.00 to $5000.00 a month rent for putting it on his roof who cares about anybody else. You see the owner of these buildings don't live there, they're slum lords, but ask if you can build a tower at their residence and I'm sure you will know the answer.

I honestly think you're exaggerating. You're equating it to someone burying nuclear waste under the classrooms or something. Cell phone towers aren't death traps for crying out loud. There are standards that these towers etc. have to adhere to. The radiation, while continuous, is quite low, with the new 3G standard 'shooting' even lower quantities than 2G.

I think you'd be able to express a more rational, non-extremist view of the situation if you read some of these studies. Just a suggestion.

To reiterate by directly quoting something I linked to before:

"A few studies suggested a link with certain rare types of brain tumors, but the consensus among well-designed population studies is that there is no consistent association between cell phone use and brain cancer.

Consumers could easily have missed the reports showing no danger from cell phones because they didn't receive alarming front-page coverage like the original reports. What has been proven is that using a cell phone while driving increases the risk of having a car accident. So, keeping your hands free and your eyes on the road is a more significant issue for people who use cell phones." --http://health.discovery.com/centers/cancer/top10myths/myth8.html

Distance and physics.

I'm a lot more worried about a cell phone antenna that's 1 or 2 inches from my head than some antenna 2 to 3 thousand inches away.

Even if the main antenna has 10,000 times the power, the cell phone antenna would feed thousands of times more radiaton into your brain than the main one.

Distance and physics.

I'm a lot more worried about a cell phone antenna that's 1 or 2 inches from my head than some antenna 2 to 3 thousand inches away.

Even if the main antenna has 10,000 times the power, the cell phone antenna would feed thousands of times more radiaton into your brain than the main one.

Right. And considering that the cell phones themselves have pretty much been confirmed to be safe...

Not to mention that at least one study has been done comparing employees who work with/near 'live' towers on a regular basis vs. 'average' people, and no greater incidence of 'complications' was found.

Guest KearnyKard
Right. And considering that the cell phones themselves have pretty much been confirmed to be safe...

Not to mention that at least one study has been done comparing employees who work with/near 'live' towers on a regular basis vs. 'average' people, and no greater incidence of 'complications' was found.

More old information that everyone already knows about. Ho-Hum.

Guest Guest
There are already cell phone towers in Kearny.  Though I didn't notice anything near any of the schools when I took a look at the info listed for Kearny.  Please see the link for additional details on where they are located.

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php

The FCC does not require every antenna structure to be registered, and the map may or may not list all the towers in the area. Additionally, many carriers have sold their tower assets to third party companies, and leasing agreements are unknown. If this is the case, the best way to determine carrier coverage is by reading comments in the local area.

That map is obviously not accurate.

There are antennae on the apartment building at Beach and Quincy (owned by Richie Mace) and I believe also on the building at Stewart and Kearny Ave. (diagonal to Roosevelt School and owned by the Martello family).

There are already cell phone towers in Kearny.  Though I didn't notice anything near any of the schools when I took a look at the info listed for Kearny.  Please see the link for additional details on where they are located.

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/towers.php

The link you showed only lists cell towers, not roof mounted relay antennas. This type of antenna has been mounted on the building across from the Roosevelt School playground for quite a few years now. They are also situated across from St. Stephens Church, the apartment building on Beech St. and Quincy Ave., above the newspaper store on Bell Pike in N.A. and were proposed for a building in the vacinity of the Lincoln Theater and the flag pole in Arlington Cemetary.

While there is no evidence that these relay antennas are a threat, there also is no conclusive evidence to the contrary, although the amount of radiation emitted has been compared to that of a microwave oven at a range of three feet by analyists for the cellphone companies.

Guest Guest
The link you showed only lists cell towers, not roof mounted relay antennas. This type of antenna has been  mounted on the building across from the Roosevelt School playground for quite a few years now. They are also situated across from St. Stephens Church, the apartment building on Beech St. and Quincy Ave., above the newspaper store on Bell Pike in N.A. and were proposed for a building in the vacinity of the Lincoln Theater and the flag pole in Arlington Cemetary.

While there is no evidence that these relay antennas are a threat, there also is no conclusive evidence to the contrary, although the amount of radiation emitted has been compared to that of a microwave oven at a range of three feet by analyists for the cellphone companies.

You speak of people not knowing what is going on in their town and I would like to correct your statement, which you seem to not know what is going on:

1- The antenna across from Roosevelt School just went in in (8) months ago.

2- There are none across from St. Stephen's Church in any direction.

3- The antennas at Beech and Quincy were removed roughly (2) years ago, because of concerns voiced by local residents.

And thank you for your 2nd statement, which is right on the mark, "while there is no evidence that these relay antennas are a threat, there also is NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY". Tell Strife that one. He was told that but just blew it off with his typical BS.

Our children should not be lab rats for testing these antennas, as is the case with the antennas on Martello's building on Stewart and Kearny Ave. across from Roosevelt School. The risk is not worth taking!

And thank you for your 2nd statement, which is right on the mark, "while there is no evidence that these relay antennas are a threat, there also is NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE TO THE CONTRARY". Tell Strife that one. He was told that but just blew it off with his typical BS.

"You can't DISPROVE it, therefore I'm right!"

Worrying to the point of wanting to tear down something because a risk hasn't been DISPROVEN (care to tell me just how one goes about proving that negative?) is ludicrous. We'd never have any new technology by that logic, because everyone would reject the prototype of ANYTHING, because no risks have been DISPROVEN, after all!

That's BS? Sounds like the truth to me.

Our children should not be lab rats for testing these antennas, as is the case with the antennas on Martello's building on Stewart and Kearny Ave. across from Roosevelt School.

You dishonestly imply that:

1. There have never been any tests done on these types of antennas (patently false)

2. This is some kind of prototype.

The risk is not worth taking!

You declare the risk is not worth taking after admitting you don't even have any idea what risk there is or isn't. Why are you using a computer? There is NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE that it WON'T give you eye cancer! Turn it off, now! "The risk is not worth taking!"

Could you please understand how foolish your rash 'logic' is?

Even workers who spend an exponentially higher amount of time around these antennas, working on them while they're "live," have been shown to have no greater incidence of 'problems' than the rest of the population. Even in 1990, more than 1 million people had cell phones (I believe the number was 1.2 million in 1987), and those cell phones pumped out way more radiation than any phones today do, OR their towers, which, as a previous poster stated, are obviously a lesser threat than the phones themselves, as per simple (but perhaps beyond your understanding) physics. And yet there's been no 'outbreak' of cancers or tumors, and I dare say the MAJORITY of this country has a cell phone now.

You speak of people not knowing what is going on in their town and I would like to correct your statement, which you seem to not know what is going on:

3- The antennas at Beech and Quincy were removed roughly (2) years ago, because of concerns voiced by local residents.

Don't pay attention to my above remarks about physics and distance.

The radiation from the cell tower is identical to the radiation from your phone. The difference is that the phone radiation due to the close phone antenna distance is 1000's of times greater than the tower radiation. So far we've found no problems with cell phone radiation. Its unreasonable to expect that the tower radiation whose radiation level is a minuscule fraction of a phone's radiation will be a problem.

Asking for conclusive proof to the contrary is ridiculous. That would be if I said to everyone "Don't associate with you because you are a murderer" and you denied it and I then said "Give us conclusive proof that you're not".

Removing some antenna due to neighbor concern does not make the concern valid. There was a time we burned so-called witches due to concerned neighbors.

1- The antenna across from Roosevelt School just went in in (8) months ago.

2- There are none across from St. Stephen's Church in any direction.

Our children should not be lab rats for testing these antennas, as is the case with the antennas on Martello's building on Stewart and Kearny Ave. across from Roosevelt School. The risk is not worth taking!

There have been antennas on Martellos building for years. Look close at the brick facade along the roofline and you will see them. They have a fake brick face. That is unless they were removed for the new ones.

My mistake, I meant St. Cecelias, above the apartment building across Kearny Ave.

Guest Guest

"You can't DISPROVE it, therefore I'm right!"

are you the most self centered person or what? you will comment on anything (and everything). who cares if you have an opinion or even a thought (or 100) about anything. you have got to be the most annoying person this town has seen in quite a while. find someone or something and live a productive, active life with real interactions. this is no place for someone of your advanced intellect.

are you the most self centered person or what? you will comment on anything (and everything).

Mind telling me what in the world being active on this (or any) forum has to do with being self-centered? That's nearly a Bryan-class leap of logic.

who cares if you have an opinion or even a thought (or 100) about anything.

You do, for one, since you're commenting on it. ;)

you have got to be the most annoying person this town has seen in quite a while.

Aww, dry your tears. No one forces you to read my posts. S**K it up, you big baby.

find someone or something and live a productive, active life with real interactions.

I have plenty of time to live my life outside of posting here, thank you. How about you take your stupid little assumptions and shove 'em? ;) You don't know a damned thing about my life, so let's drop the pretense, 'kay?

On the other hand, what is there to say about someone who actually takes the time to write a post like this? Obviously you have nothing better to do than complain about people you've never met just because you don't like what they say. If you disagree with something I write, how about you refute it instead it whining, huh? Or do you whine because you can't?

Guest Guest
Mind telling me what in the world being active on this (or any) forum has to do with being self-centered? That's nearly a Bryan-class leap of logic.

You do, for one, since you're commenting on it. ;)

Aww, dry your tears. No one forces you to read my posts. S**K it up, you big baby.

I have plenty of time to live my life outside of posting here, thank you. How about you take your stupid little assumptions and shove 'em? ;) You don't know a damned thing about my life, so let's drop the pretense, 'kay?

On the other hand, what is there to say about someone who actually takes the time to write a post like this? Obviously you have nothing better to do than complain about people you've never met just because you don't like what they say. If you disagree with something I write, how about you refute it instead it whining, huh? Or do you whine because you can't?

hey now, get your game on ......

I was just in need of a little Strifey stroking, it's been quiet on my end. I'm just fishing for fun. Hooked ya just a little under the skin, but I'll take it. I would think you would be more seasoned by now. Who loves ya baby? ;) !

PS. you do post alot, about everything. maybe a 12 step program is in your future.............. ;)

Guest 2smart4u

They're very dangerous. A perfect example is Strifey, he was born (or hatched) under a cell tower. He now has an incessant, compulsive need to post on KOTW on every conceivable topic. Another manifestation of his exposure to radiation is his belief that someone is actually interested in reading his boring diatribes.

They're very dangerous. A perfect example is Strifey, he was born (or hatched) under a cell tower. He now has an incessant, compulsive need to post on KOTW on every conceivable topic. Another manifestation of his exposure to radiation is his belief that someone is actually interested in reading his boring diatribes.

As you've obviously been doing. You get so excited over them.

Guest Guest
I try to be an active contributor.

Apparently you are both unaware of the definition of addiction, and of how useless twelve-step programs actually are.............. ;)

both of us? i'm not a delusional schizophreniac. yes i am

addiction: The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something...............

i'm going with this, even if posting here is not generally considered a damaging to one's self.

! I believe that the program has it's merits ............. works for me ;):D:D ......:D