Small businesses

Guest Very sad:(

Guest Very sad:(

We just found out that another small business has gone down in Kearny. What happened to all the people that started Kearny? This store was in town for over 20 years, they supplied to all the small offices and some of the schools. They were located on Kearny Avenue and now they are gone. What is this town coming to? Do we not have any more American stores anymore? Is the only place to shop is the big stores who took over all the surrounding towns?

I am very sad about the loss Kearny is suffering. I know it is impossible to change the world, but come on, support our small businesses!!! Do not let another close.

Guest Guest_Oldie but a Goodie_*

Yes, it is sad to see the local stores closing. The problem is, is that the consumer feels that he can get more for his or her money in a larger store. I know that I can go to Staples, Target, Walmart or any of the larger stores and get what I need for less than half the price. The local merchant can not compete with the larger stores because they do not buy the quantities that the others do at a large discount.

As for the food market it is the same thing. You can go to Shop Rite aand get deli and meats at a much lower cost than the butcher shop. Yes, it is a very sad time,

when was the last time you went to Shop Rite and the man in the meat dept. said

" Hi, Mr Jones how is the family? " nothing is on a one on one level anymore, times will always change, maybe not so much for the best.

Guest Guest
Yes, it is sad to see the local stores closing. The problem is, is that the consumer feels that he can get more for his or her money in a larger store. I know that I can go to Staples, Target, Walmart or any of the larger stores and get what I need for less than half the price. The local merchant can not compete with the larger stores because they do not buy the quantities that the others do at a large discount.

As for the food market it is the same thing. You can go to Shop Rite aand get deli and meats at a much lower cost than the butcher shop. Yes, it is a very sad time,

when was the last time you went to Shop Rite and the man in the meat dept. said

" Hi, Mr Jones how is the family? " nothing is on a one on one level anymore, times will always change, maybe not so much for the best.

I agree. It is not personable anymore. I miss when everyone new everyone. It is really sad that the store owners who have been here for years close and you have to say goodby to old friends, and never see them again. :)

Guest Guest

Genrally Butchers sell better cuts of meat than the local grocery stores, but obviously it'll be a bit more expensive. As far as local shops go they just seem to be a hodge-podge of everything and anything now, and many of them don't last more than 2 to 3 years.

Guest Guest

I went to lumber store ** ******* *** for a change. Spent $120 when should have been $90. Screw'em. Also had to pick and load lumber myself. So much for mom and pop.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest Guest
I went to lumber store ** ******* *** for a change. Spent $120 when should have been $90.  Screw'em. Also had to pick and load lumber myself. So much for mom and pop.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

I guess KOTW owns piece of the Kearny lumber store.

Is there a WalMart in your area?

One opened very recently in the area, actually.

Businesses becoming more dominated by 'big business' is good in some ways and bad in others. The 'mass' methods of acquiring stuff to sell means lower prices for the consumer, at the cost of being less personable.

Because it's finances that ultimately determines how long a business lasts, small businesses are destined to be pushed out of the market by bigger ones unless they come up with some great innovation or something (but then the small business will become one of the 'big ones'). So regardless of if you prioritize 'personality' over price, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that small businesses are becoming scarcer and scarcer.

Guest KearnyKard
One opened very recently in the area, actually.

Businesses becoming more dominated by 'big business' is good in some ways and bad in others. The 'mass' methods of acquiring stuff to sell means lower prices for the consumer, at the cost of being less personable.

Because it's finances that ultimately determines how long a business lasts, small businesses are destined to be pushed out of the market by bigger ones unless they come up with some great innovation or something (but then the small business will become one of the 'big ones'). So regardless of if you prioritize 'personality' over price, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that small businesses are becoming scarcer and scarcer.

Boring Old News.