ACLU To Sue Kearny

Guest Guest

Here go my tax dollars. The ACLU is suing the Kearny Board of Education over the David Packiewicz matter.

Thank you Mr. Mooney and Mr. Lindenfelser. Great job. Is Lindenfelser going to hired to defend the lawsuit making more money on this controversy.

Is Mooney now convinced that this one is not going to be swept under the rug?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here go my tax dollars.  The ACLU is suing the Kearny Board of Education over the David Packiewicz matter.

Thank you Mr. Mooney and Mr. Lindenfelser.  Great job.  Is Lindenfelser going to hired to defend the lawsuit making more money on this controversy. 

Sad that it has to come to a lawsuit. They just should have fired Paskewicz, or made him make an apology. It all would have blown away if he had just said, "You're right, I shouldn't have preached in the classroom. It won't happen again."

That's all it would have taken to make this go away.

Here go my tax dollars.  The ACLU is suing the Kearny Board of Education over the David Packiewicz matter.

Thank you Mr. Mooney and Mr. Lindenfelser.  Great job.  Is Lindenfelser going to hired to defend the lawsuit making more money on this controversy. 

Sadly, it's apparently going to take force to get the Board of Education to take the kind of action they should have taken from the beginning. :P

I agree completely with your sentiments, but please allow me to clear up a few things. The ACLU is not bringing an action. We have filed a Tort Claim Notice with the Board of Education to preserve our rights to sue in the event this matter is not resolved. The Board knows, or should know, full well that nothing need be done in response to a Notice of Claim. It merely preserves our right to sue. Further, should an action be brought, it will probably be brought by our private counsel, with support perhaps from ACLU and People For the American Way, who stood with us at the press conference today.

You are entirely correct, however, that all the parties you named who are responsible to the citizens of Kearny have failed all of us. I encourage you and others to express your feelings directly to the Board tomorrow evening at Washington School. The meeting begins at 7:00 p.m.

We have made it clear from the beginning that we do not wish to sue our school district, in effect our neighbors. However, we will do what is necessary to stand up for the US Constitution and the quality of education in Kearny.

I agree completely with your sentiments, but please allow me to clear up a few things. The ACLU is not bringing an action. We have filed a Tort Claim Notice with the Board of Education to preserve our rights to sue in the event this matter is not resolved. The Board knows, or should know, full well that nothing need be done in response to a Notice of Claim. It merely preserves our right to sue. Further, should an action be brought, it will probably be brought by our private counsel, with support perhaps from ACLU and People For the American Way, who stood with us at the press conference today.

You are entirely correct, however, that all the parties you named who are responsible to the citizens of Kearny have failed all of us. I encourage you and others to express your feelings directly to the Board tomorrow evening at Washington School. The meeting begins at 7:00 p.m.

We have made it clear from the beginning that we do not wish to sue our school district, in effect our neighbors. However, we will do what is necessary to stand up for the US Constitution and the quality of education in Kearny.

Quick question Paul - has the Town of Kearny become involved in this matter at all? I'd think at this point that Al Santos should get involved in this matter - especially since it seems like the resolution of this matter is going to cost taxpayers some real dollars. I know that there's a separation between the schools and the town government in Kearny (unlike other towns where the mayor appoints the school board), but at the end of the day, I would say that the town government has a compelling interest in saving its citizenry unnecessary tax dollars.

Also, Al Santos is a former attorney. He can come off as being very smug and sarcastic at times (don't know him well enough to know whether that's truly his personality - and I fear I will be opening up an invitation to mayor bashing with this post), but by all accounts he seems to be a bright guy. As far as you know - has the mayor or any member of the town council reached out to you, Mr. P and/or the administration? Or has the self-preservation intrinsic to all politicians kicked in and kept everyone away?

More delays. If it's such an air tight case why not file the lawsuit already?

Here is the link to the audio of the press conference, let's hope that Mooney, Lindenfelser and the Board members listen to this tape. Did Canessa get premission from the Board of Education to record this press conference? I think that the Board passed a don't record policy against journalists recording public press conferences.

Is anyone going to videotape the board of ed meeting? You have to ask permission according to another policy of theirs.

ACLU Press Conference Click here.

Guest: "More delays. If it's such an air tight case why not file the lawsuit already? "

It seems to me that the case is very solid.

But as Paul has said, over and over, the Laclairs would prefer not to sue the Board. This latest event should be construed as a last-ditch attempt to persuade the Board to do the right thing.

I have little confidence that they will, given their track record. But no one should complain that adequate notice was not given.

Personally, I would like to see the case go to trial. I'd hope the case and the eventual verdict would have a chilling effect on those who choose to ignore the Constitution, and I would like to see the law and previous court cases reaffirmed (yet again).

Leigh Williams

Austin, Texas

Quick question Paul - has the Town of Kearny become involved in this matter at all?  I'd think at this point that Al Santos should get involved in this matter - especially since it seems like the resolution of this matter is going to cost taxpayers some real dollars.  I know that there's a separation between the schools and the town government in Kearny (unlike other towns where the mayor appoints the school board), but at the end of the day, I would say that the town government has a compelling interest in saving its citizenry unnecessary tax dollars.

Also, Al Santos is a former attorney.  He can come off as being very smug and sarcastic at times (don't know him well enough to know whether that's truly his personality - and I fear I will be opening up an invitation to mayor bashing with this post), but by all accounts he seems to be a bright guy.  As far as you know - has the mayor or any member of the town council reached out to you, Mr. P and/or the administration?  Or has the self-preservation intrinsic to all politicians kicked in and kept everyone away?

The town and the Board of Education are separate entities. While I would invite Mayor Santos' input, and suspect he may be giving it behind the scenes, he has no obligation here except to the extent that in his judgment he believes he could be helpful. I respect his judgment in that regard. Frankly, had he been in charge of this matter, it would have been resolved when it began. Unfortunately, it is not within his jurisdiction.

More delays.  If it's such an air tight case why not file the lawsuit already?

Is that really what you want us to do? We would prefer not to file a lawsuit, even an air-tight one. That's the first reason.

The other reason is that there is a mandatory waiting period after a Notice of Claim. As to any tort claim, we could not file yet even if we wanted to, and we see no reason to institute more than one action.

Here is the link to the audio of the press conference, let's hope that Mooney, Lindenfelser and the Board members listen to this tape.  Did Canessa get premission from the Board of Education to record this press conference?  I think that the Board passed a don't record policy against journalists recording public press conferences. 

Is anyone going to videotape the board of ed meeting?  You have to ask permission according to another policy of theirs.

The Board meeting is public. I don't think they can stop you from recording it. I could be wrong, but I don't think they can.

Why would Canessa need the BoE's permission to record a press conference at ACLU?

Here is the link to the audio of the press conference, let's hope that Mooney, Lindenfelser and the Board members listen to this tape.  Did Canessa get premission from the Board of Education to record this press conference?  I think that the Board passed a don't record policy against journalists recording public press conferences. 

Is anyone going to videotape the board of ed meeting?  You have to ask permission according to another policy of theirs.

By the way, a documentary film-maker will be present to record the Board meeting tomorrow evening. The Board has already given him permission to set up his equipment.

The Bd of Ed in Kearny is a joke... Lets not solve the problem and discipline the teacher or even fire the jerk, instead lets pass a new policy and say," No audio recordings in class!!" No wait a minute Why not just put out a policy and say," No audio recordings are allow in Mr. P's classes, just in case the idiot speaks his mind again"!!!

Whats even worse is the fact that no other teacher spoke against him. Yes we all know he's a great guy, bla bla bla But why didn't anyone say, he's a great guy BUT HE MADE A MISTAKE!!! IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN..

Nay lets just support our fellow teacher!! but ,"He's so passoniate about his faith" SO WHAT HE CROSSED THE LINE GET WITH IT!!!

He is making every other teacher in Kearny Look a JACK ASS!!!

It shouldn't be separation of church and state...

Before and NOW.... IT SHOULD BE SEPARATION OF MR.P AND THE KEA!!

WAKE UP!!!

Sadly, it's apparently going to take force to get the Board of Education to take the kind of action they should have taken from the beginning. :P

Force them? You really trust your god LaClair, don't you? How about letting the court decide? Are you a lawyer by any chance? Where did you go to college Strife?

Guest:  "More delays. If it's such an air tight case why not file the lawsuit already? "

It seems to me that the case is very solid.

But as Paul has said, over and over, the Laclairs would prefer not to sue the Board.  This latest event should be construed as a last-ditch attempt to persuade the Board to do the right thing. 

I have little confidence that they will, given their track record.  But no one should complain that adequate notice was not given.

Personally, I would like to see the case go to trial.  I'd hope the case and the eventual verdict would have a chilling effect on those who choose to ignore the Constitution, and I would like to see the law and previous court cases reaffirmed (yet again).

Leigh Williams

Austin, Texas

That's because you know nothing about Paul and Matthew.

Is that really what you want us to do? We would prefer not to file a lawsuit, even an air-tight one. That's the first reason.

The other reason is that there is a mandatory waiting period after a Notice of Claim. As to any tort claim, we could not file yet even if we wanted to, and we see no reason to institute more than one action.

I think it's what you really need to do. Maybe a judge can put a little common sense into this matter, maybe not. Looking at the legal system I have my doubts.

Maybe once you file your suit it will be the last of Matthew's antics that the school system will have to endure.

It was never about GOD.....it was always about MONEY..

All the LaClair ever wanted was the publicity and the Money. No one will ever know how much they will actually get. But I am sure it will be substantial.

The LaClairs have now the ACLU and the People of the American Way. The attorneys representing Matthew.

Legal action Richard Mancini. Notice of Claim is the hangman's noose for the entire school district. They said it has made it uncomfortable for Matthew.

Having to make it comfortable for Matthew has made it "UNCOMFORTABLE" for the other 1000's of students.

The lawyer talked about the failures to protect Matthew? What harm has been done? I do not recall any or I am sure it would have been posted here. It is disruptive to the whole teaching process.

Please stop calling him courageous.

In his rehearsed speech today he again admitted the he previously knew of

this in early 2006 when he first received his class schedule, he was told by former student that Mr. Paszkiewicz frequently spoke of religion in class.

Yet Mr. LaClair said Matthew knew nothing of this. So there goes the fact that this wasn't pre-meditated.

Debra, Paul, and Matthew. Please don’t consider yourself courageous.

Matthew said that everything he ( Mr. Paszkiewicz ) did was completely out of line.

Giggling as Matthew he did today during this as he said he is starting to think about being a Lawyer. I could not believe what I heard here today.

Tort claims and civil actions. Take Matthew concerns seriously? I do not think so. It’s about time to stand up for student rights and not just Matthews.

We have to protect the LaClairs? From what? Their own army of lawyers?

Please I know my child is not going to praise Matthew. Just as Matthew is supposed to be strong willed, I am asking my child to stand up for what their beliefs are as well.

I urge all other students and parents to do the same.

All the LaClair ever wanted was the publicity and the Money.  No one will ever know how much they will actually get.  But I am sure it will be substantial.

The LaClairs have now the ACLU and the People of the American Way. The attorneys representing Matthew. 

Legal action Richard Mancini.  Notice of Claim is the hangman's noose for the entire school district. They said it has made it uncomfortable for Matthew.

Having to make it comfortable for Matthew has made it "UNCOMFORTABLE" for the other 1000's of students. 

The lawyer talked about the failures to protect Matthew?  What harm has been done?  I do not recall any or I am sure it would have been posted here.  It is disruptive to the whole teaching process. 

this in early 2006 when he first received his class schedule, he was told by former student that Mr. Paszkiewicz frequently spoke of religion in class.

Yet Mr. LaClair said Matthew knew nothing of this.  So there goes the fact that this wasn't pre-meditated.

Debra, Paul, and Matthew.  Please don’t consider yourself courageous. 

Matthew said that everything he ( Mr. Paszkiewicz ) did was completely out of line.   

Giggling as Matthew he did today during this as he said he is starting to think about being a Lawyer.  I could not believe what I heard here today. 

Tort claims and civil actions.  Take Matthew concerns seriously? I do not think so.  It’s about time to stand up for student rights and not just Matthews.

We have to protect the LaClairs?  From what? Their own army of lawyers?

Please I know my child is not going to praise Matthew.  Just as Matthew is supposed to be strong willed, I am asking my child to stand up for what their beliefs are as well. 

That still doesn't change the fact that the teacher screwed up. End of story, regardless of Matthew's motives.

All the LaClair ever wanted was the publicity and the Money.  No one will ever know how much they will actually get.  But I am sure it will be substantial.

Legal action Richard Mancini.  Notice of Claim is the hangman's noose for the entire school district. They said it has made it uncomfortable for Matthew.

The lawyer talked about the failures to protect Matthew?  What harm has been done?  I do not recall any or I am sure it would have been posted here.  It is disruptive to the whole teaching process. 

Yet Mr. LaClair said Matthew knew nothing of this.  So there goes the fact that this wasn't pre-meditated.

Giggling as Matthew he did today during this as he said he is starting to think about being a Lawyer.  I could not believe what I heard here today. 

Tort claims and civil actions.  Take Matthew concerns seriously? I do not think so.  It’s about time to stand up for student rights and not just Matthews.

Please I know my child is not going to praise Matthew.  Just as Matthew is supposed to be strong willed, I am asking my child to stand up for what their beliefs are as well. 

Tort Claim, what it comes down to it, is the LaClairs are holding the town hostage. If the Board do not do as the LaClairs expect them to do than the LaClairs will suit.

It sounds like blackmailing to me.

See you at the meeting tonight.

Force them?

Yes, as has happened in lawsuits against other boards of education in the past.

You really trust your god LaClair, don't you?

Loaded question. I trust Paul--I have no reason not to. He is not my god.

How about letting the court decide?

If the BoE doesn't take this final opportunity to make things right, that will literally be the only option. Fine with me--whatever it takes to make things right.

All the LaClair ever wanted was the publicity and the Money.

Baseless allegation.

No one will ever know how much they will actually get.  But I am sure it will be substantial.

The lawyer talked about the failures to protect Matthew?  What harm has been done?

School time, and in turn, tax dollars, have been thrown away for every minute Mr. Paszkiewicz spent preaching his dogma instead of doing his job.

I do not recall any, or I am sure it would have been posted here.  It is disruptive to the whole teaching process.

LOL, you don't think dogmatic preaching is "disruptive to the whole teaching process?"

Every student who was against Matthew in his efforts to expose Mr. P.'s wrongdoing underscores his bravery even more.

How could it be premeditated if he was not put in Paszkiewicz's class by his own choice, moron? He was assigned to it. Stop trying to remove accountability from where it belongs.

Everyone with a working brain will, though.

If you don't believe that public school teachers preaching during class violates a student's civil rights, then I would like to know exactly which right(s) of students _were_ violated, as you say. Be specific.

Everyone deserves equal protection of their civil rights.

Please I know my child is not going to praise Matthew.

My pity goes out to him for being raised by you.

Just as Matthew is supposed to be strong willed, I am asking my child to stand up for what their beliefs are as well.

This is not a religious conflict, as much as idiots like you would like to pretend it is. The government is required to be religiously neutral, and that includes public schools and their teachers when they're on the clock. Paszkiewicz remorselessly crossed that line, the BoE tried to sweep it under the rug, and now they're both going to have to face the music, voluntarily or not. Simple as that.