today's jersey

Guest Guest

I SEE IN TODAY JERSEY JOURNAL  THE COUNCILMAN DAUGHTER GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING AGAIN.

what else is new in Harrison... How are we teaching our kids??? by having coaches that don't know how to act. Get rid of her as a coach, those kids shouldn't have to be subjected to that language... you have to remember most of these kids play rec sports to have figure they can look up to, don't you think most of these kids hear enough at home??

Just another of Harrison's finest assests at the helms again, being a Councilman's daughter she thinks she has the right to exibit that kind of behavior. Imagine what goes on, and what is said at her house....

I SEE IN TODAY JERSEY JOURNAL  THE COUNCILMAN DAUGHTER GET AWAY WITH EVERYTHING AGAIN.

She didn't get away with anything because she wasn't the one who started this mess, try the idiot that keeps calling the news and the newspapers. That is where the TROUBLE started and that is who is keeping the trouble going. Talk about people needing a job... that nut has way too much time on her hands and way to many lies to spread. DK should have gotten both side of the story and maybe the other coach should have filed a report on the 6th graders father when he mouthed off to her in the middle of the season, that whack needs anger management.

What part of the article did you not understand other than the league was for 3-5th grade. NOT 6TH! Also for your information the article was one big lie and one side of the story, I don't see the other two coaches picking back and forth or calling the news or running to the police station to file a false report. So answer this "WHO IS THE PROBLEM"???

HINT - Cheerleading, Baseball, Soccer and now basketball!!! HMMM I think the picture is clear now!

Cops: Coach loses the game, then her composure

Thursday, February 15, 2007

By ROSE DUGER

JOURNAL CORRESPONDENT

HARRISON - A championship recreational basketball game turned ugly recently, with police showing up after at least one coach used foul language and threatened the opposing coach, according to police.

Harrison Police Chief Derek Kearns said the incident, which occurred late last month, followed a game between two teams of third- through sixth-grade boys and girls. The game was the first of a three-game series to determine the league champion.

Advertisement

The problem stemmed from the Recreation Department's decision to allow four sixth-graders to play in the league, which previously had been restricted to third- through fifth-graders, according to Kearns.

Dina Villalta, who coached one of the teams, became incensed when her team lost the game, then taunted a sixth-grader on the winning team and threatened opposing coach Michele Scrimo, according to statements Scrimo and the father of the player gave to police.

Scrimo contacted The Jersey Journal claiming to have video footage of the incident but did not return two subsequent phone calls seeking the footage or further details of the incident.

"My understanding is that this is a one-time event and it has not escalated into a situation in which the recreation commissioner has contacted us and required a police presence for any other event," said Kearns.

No charges were filed.

Recreation Commissioner Joseph Bubenas said that instead of one team winning the championship, both teams will receive trophies and will be feted at separate pizza parties in their honor.

what else is new in Harrison...  How are we teaching our kids??? by having coaches that don't know how to act.  Get rid of her as a coach, those kids shouldn't have to be subjected to that language... you have to remember most of these kids play rec sports to have  figure they can look up to, don't you think most of these kids hear enough at home?? 

Just another of Harrison's finest assests at the helms again, being a Councilman's daughter she thinks she has the right to exibit that kind of behavior.  Imagine what goes on, and what is said at her house....

No we have a Coach, the Coach that sent all the lies to the media and made the town look bad, wanting to win every championship in every sport. Little does she understand it is not always about winning not at that age. It is about learning and having fun, I went to a few of those games and I saw most of the teams play which I think there were six teams and at least 4 out of 6 coaches just let the kids play they just helped them along they didn't scream or insult the kids on the floor or mortify them for a walk call as the red team coach did making a child raise their hand for a 3 second violation, SCREAMING like a mad woman WHO RAISE YOOUR HAND in that evil mean tone... All I can say is I thank GOD my children are older because they would have never played for that maniac, talk about killing a childs self esteem, you don't put kids down like that because you push them out the door and don't come back, just as one of her players ran off the court at 1/2 time and didn't come back. She should not be allowed to Coach another sport.

what else is new in Harrison...  How are we teaching our kids??? by having coaches that don't know how to act.  Get rid of her as a coach, those kids shouldn't have to be subjected to that language... you have to remember most of these kids play rec sports to have  figure they can look up to, don't you think most of these kids hear enough at home?? 

Just another of Harrison's finest assests at the helms again, being a Councilman's daughter she thinks she has the right to exibit that kind of behavior.  Imagine what goes on, and what is said at her house....

Good thing her son doesn't wrestle. Did anybody see the maniac who threw another child across the wrestling mat because his son was losing the match. Just another case of parents gone wild. Maybe we can make a reality show out of this and Vic can be the host.

Guest APPLAUD

Keep in mind, these ladies VOLUNTEER their time. It's a shame that this town has such a hard time finding individuals and people love to complain about the few individuals who do volunteer. If you think you can do a better job step up to the plate and donate your time. That's right you wouldn't but I bet if it was a paid position you would be the first in line

She didn't get away with anything because she wasn't the one who started this mess, try the idiot that keeps calling the news and the newspapers. That is where the TROUBLE started and that is who is keeping the trouble going. Talk about people needing a job... that nut has way too much time on her hands and way to many lies to spread. DK should have gotten both side of the story and maybe the other coach should have filed a report on the 6th graders father when he mouthed off to her in the middle of the season, that whack needs anger management.

actually she filed it with the hudson co pros office instead! right? :ninja::ninja:

What part of the article did you not understand other than the league was for 3-5th grade. NOT 6TH! Also for your information the article was one big lie and one side of the story, I don't see the other two coaches picking back and forth or calling the news or running to the police station to file a false report.  So answer this "WHO IS THE PROBLEM"???

HINT - Cheerleading, Baseball, Soccer and now basketball!!! HMMM I think the picture is clear now!

What part of the article didnt YOU understand??? The REC let these kids play, because they met, talked it over, didnt want to see any kids left out, so THEY decided to let the 6th graders play. And if it was such a problem, why didnt anyone complain in the begining of the season? Why wait this long? Oh, thats right. I forgot. It didnt matter before cuz they won, but it matters now that they lost. From what I saw, it didnt make much of a diff. anyway cuz it wasnt the 6th. grader who was doin the scoring, it was a fifth grader that you should have been worrying about. Get over it. They won fair and square and your pissed cuz you lost. Oh, one more thing while we are on the subject of FOLLOWING RULES, the league was for 3rd- 5th graders only. O.K. Thats fine. The football league is only for HARRISON RESIDENTS. How is it that Kearny residents were allowed to play? What would the Meadowlands Conf. say if they found this out? Would it be fair to the rest of the kids who try out and dont make it who live in town? Funny how the rules only apply when its to your advantage!

Keep in mind these ladies VOLUNTEER

SOOOO...... DOES THAT MEAN BECAUSE THEY ARE DOING IT FOR FREEE, THAT harrison will let anyone work with children, even if they torment and ridicule the children; possibly causing psychological harm to them instead of helping them to develop and mature into, caring young adults, able to work and interact in social work situations with other people and groups.

One of the 'main purposes' of these sports, is to teach and SHOW the kids BY EXAMPLE, how to WORK WELL with other people . If the coach herself or himself is unable to DEPORT themself in such a manner, than they should be deemed "UNQUALIFIED" for the Volunteer position!!!

If wee have a coach who keeps YELLING and HUMILIATING the kids, half will drooop out and WHO is to blame?

WE DON"T NEED A COACH WHO IS "FULL" OF HERSELF or HIMSELF!!!

I think everyone is overlooking one important factor. There just aren't well planned, good programs for our kids. A sixth grade boy should be competing against others on his level. I have personally experienced my son( being somewhat athletic from an early age) being forced to pass the ball during a championship basketball game to a young lady whom I'm afraid shouldn't have been on the court with the group she was put with for her own sake. I felt her pain at that moment and I will never forget. It seems that most programs for our children are thrown together half ass and what we are neglecting to do is teach. Good programs take time and resources. Especially when it comes to athletics. The very core of athletics is the surge of adrenaline and the push this allots us to be competitive. There has to be a scale of ability that the children can be divided by. Why would anyone group third thru fifth grade boys and girls to begin with? I think unless the girls show the same physical and athletic ability as the boys at this age, it is just pure silly to group them together. Someone needs to really put some thought and effort into organizing these types of programs in order for them to be successful. I can't tell you how many times my son would rush to the center in hopes of playing a team from out of town and we would wait and wait only to find out that no one had actually contacted the other team to invite them to play. ? Things seem to have worsened. If having enough participants is the problem why not expand to a county league? I'm sure there out there or can be organized. It seems to me this program was poorly thought out from the get go and was bound to lead to some type of problem. Why not combine the Harrison-Kearny youth basketball leagues? In doing this the cost could be split between the two towns and I’m certain this would benefit the High School coaches in due time. Just a thought.

Ps / What does everyone think about the return of the Halloween parade? Seemed to me that having the parade allowed for a much quieter night where the police are concerned. That always amazed me that with the thousands of people (towns people and many out of towners) that most Halloween parades took place without a single incident. This past Halloween I heard more police sirens throughout that night than every before. Just another thought.

I think everyone is overlooking one important factor. There just aren't  well planned, good  programs for our kids. A sixth grade boy should be competing against others on his level.  I have personally experienced my son( being somewhat athletic from an early age) being forced to pass the ball during a championship  basketball game to a young lady whom I'm afraid shouldn't have been on the court with the group she was put with for her own sake.  I felt her pain at that moment and I will never forget.  It seems that most  programs for our children are thrown together half ass and what we are neglecting to do is teach. Good programs take time and resources. Especially when it comes to athletics. The very core of athletics is the surge of adrenaline and the push this allots us to be competitive. There has to be a scale of ability that the children can be divided by.  Why would anyone group third thru fifth grade boys and girls to begin with? I think unless the girls show the same  physical and athletic ability as the boys  at this age, it is just pure silly to group them  together. Someone needs to really put some  thought and effort into organizing these types of programs in order for them to be successful. I can't tell you how many times my son would rush to the center in hopes of playing a team from out of town and we would wait and wait only to find out that no one had actually contacted the other team to invite them to play. ? Things seem to have worsened.  If having enough participants is the problem why not expand to a county league? I'm sure there out there or can be organized.  It seems to me this program was poorly thought out from the get go and was bound to lead to some type of problem.  Why not combine the Harrison-Kearny youth basketball leagues?  In doing this the cost could be split between the two towns and I’m certain this would benefit the High School coaches in due time.  Just a thought.

Ps / What does everyone think about the  return of  the Halloween parade?  Seemed to me that having the parade allowed for a much quieter night where the police are concerned.  That always amazed me that with the thousands of people (towns people and many out of towners) that most Halloween parades took place without a single incident.  This past Halloween I heard more police  sirens throughout that  night than every before.  Just another thought.

Many towns have "clinics" every weekend for youngsters to LEARN the game before they are thrown wet behind the ears onto a basketball court in a game situation. Perhaps the Rec Dept. should look into something like that, and let the older kids play in a regular league. Just a suggestion.

Guest So true

You are correct, they don't offer any good programs for the kids in this town. It's a shame that the head of the recreational department is more concerned with kissing ass. Now I don't know him on a personal level but I don't think he has any credentials that qualify him to run the recreational department. The job was handed to him and I'm sorry to say he is doing a terrible job. The children are suffering. I can look back at my childhood and remember the GREAT programs they had for the kids. In the summer time the playgrounds were full with kids doing arts and crafts - now we are lucky if we have playgrounds for them to play in. I also remember the rec center being opend past 6pm allowing the kids somewhere to go and play - they should bring this back - why should it be opened during the day when the kids are at school.

So sad we need new people running this program, how about someone with a college degree.

You are correct, they don't offer any good programs for the kids in this town.  It's a shame that the head of the recreational department is more concerned with kissing ass.  Now I don't know him on a personal level but I don't think he has any credentials that qualify him to run the recreational department.  The job was handed to him and I'm sorry to say he is doing a terrible job.  The children are suffering.  I can look back at my childhood and remember the GREAT programs they had for the kids. In the summer time the playgrounds were full with kids doing arts and crafts - now we are lucky if we have playgrounds for them to play in.  I also remember the rec center being opend past 6pm allowing the kids somewhere to go and play - they should bring this back - why should it be opened during the day when the kids are at school.

So sad we need new people running this program, how about someone with a college degree.

I AGREE WHY SHOULD THE REC CENTER BE CLOSED ON A SUNDAY, WHEN THE CHILDREN HAVE KNOW WHERE TO GO, THEY HAVE ENOUGH WORKING TO BE OPEN ON A SUNDAY.