A suggestion - Guests can't post!

marioFromWO

Hi Mr/Ms Moderator(s),

I haven't been on this forum for very long, but I have spent a fair amount of time on other forums, and this is the only one I know of that allows 'guests' to post.

I submit to you that is an extremely poor policy.

Part of what makes forums (fora?) interesting is the interplay between personalities - and that can only work when a personality is attached to a handle.

Reading through a long thread with numerous posts by "Guest" renders it lifeless. You don't know which Guest is which. And when Guest says something that demands a response (the situation that caused me to realize the folly of this policy), how do you respond to it?

Take it to it's logical extreme - suppose only guests were allowed to post. How exciting would that be?

It takes about 30 seconds to register for this forum. Is it really such a big deal to require posters to do so?

Anyway, I hope you give it some thought.

Hi Mr/Ms Moderator(s),

I haven't been on this forum for very long, but I have spent a fair amount of time on other forums, and this is the only one I know of that allows 'guests' to post.

Part of what makes forums (fora?) interesting is the interplay between personalities - and that can only work when a personality is attached to a handle.

Reading through a long thread with numerous posts by "Guest" renders it lifeless. You don't know which Guest is which. And when Guest says something that demands a response (the situation that caused me to realize the folly of this policy), how do you respond to it?

Take it to it's logical extreme - suppose only guests were allowed to post. How exciting would that be?

It takes about 30 seconds to register for this forum. Is it really such a big deal to require posters to do so?

yeah do that mr. moderator and soon this forum will have no one posting in here anymore. If that's what you want, follow your friend Canessa's example. I am sure this will be a good way to stop people from participating. Just one more thing, at least the majority of people who post as guess are from kearny, not from WO! You know the town where this situation is taking place. Unfortunately, we have people from other towns who think their opinion matters in a town where they do not pay taxes in.

Hi Mr/Ms Moderator(s),

Seconded.

Maria from WO:

It is KOTW's policy to allow as many points of view as possible.

KOTW has no intention of changing our Guest policy. KOTW is unique in that we do allow Guests to post anonymously. It should be noted that IP addresses are attached to posts and available to administrators only.

It is also our policy to attempt to edit posts rather than delete posts entirely. On occasion, a post is delayed to allow for reflection time and proper editing or deletion of the post.

KOTW believes that the above policies makes us unique. If you disagree with a "Guest" poster simply click the Reply button (on their post) and you will be able to include their post within your reply.

KOTW

Maria from WO:

KOTW has no intention of changing our Guest policy.  KOTW is unique in that we do allow Guests to post anonymously.  It should be noted that IP addresses are attached to posts and available to administrators only. 

It is also our policy to attempt to edit posts rather than delete posts entirely.  On occasion, a post is delayed to allow for reflection time and proper editing or deletion of the post.

KOTW believes that the above policies makes us unique.  If you disagree with a "Guest" poster simply click the Reply button (on their post) and you will be able to include their post within your reply.

KOTW

Here I am responding as a guest. I agree with the opening poster this is not good. Unfortunately I got tired of responding to "guest" posters while still being identified so I decided it is easier to become part of the problem. :wub:

Maria from WO:

You should be aware that forcing people to register themselves at the forum before they start posting in no way limits their ability to express their point of view.

KOTW has no intention of changing our Guest policy.  KOTW is unique in that we do allow Guests to post anonymously.

Realize that anonymity is not lost when one can register at the forum with an alias that is wholly unrelated to any personally-identifying information. Allowing guests to post anonymously does not really add to anyone's ability to contribute, because anyone who can post, can also register. On the other hand, having no identity (even an invented one) attached to posts makes it very hard to have a coherent discourse, because you never know who's who in a topic full of posts authored by "Guest."

I think you should seriously reconsider mandating registration for these reasons. It takes only a few minutes for someone to attach some sort of name/identity, and several people have abused the privilege of posting without registering to spam, flame, and sometimes just write stuff that is downright disturbing (i.e. http://forums.kearnyontheweb.com/index.php...ndpost&p=45349).

Just try to think of it this way--is giving people the option of not spending five minutes registering worth all of the incoherence the flood of "Guest" posts creates (as well as the other things I've mentioned)?