SAT Results Harrison School System

Guest PROFESSOR

Guest PROFESSOR

THANKS TO OPRA, HERE ARE THE RESULTS OF THE WORLD CLASS EDUCATION RECEIVED IN HARRISON. SHOWN BELOW ARE THE LAST 3 YEARS OF SAT SCORES.

. . .

2004 HARRISON TOWN - HARRISON HIGH

MATH AVERAGE - 442

STATE AVERAGE - 516

VERBAL AVERAGE: 436

STATE AVERAGE: 499

2005 HARRISON TOWN - HARRISON HIGH

MATH AVERAGE - 463

STATE AVERAGE - 519

VERBAL AVERAGE - 434

STATE AVERAGE - 501

2006 HARRISON TOWN - HARRISON HIGH

MATH AVERAGE - 439

STATE AVERAGE - 516

VERBAL AVERAGE - 418

STATE AVERAGE - 494

SPECIAL ESSAY - 421

STATE SPECIAL ESSAY - 493

THANKS TO OPRA, HERE ARE THE RESULTS OF THE WORLD CLASS EDUCATION RECEIVED IN HARRISON.  SHOWN BELOW ARE THE LAST 3 YEARS OF SAT SCORES.

.  .  . 

MATH AVERAGE - 442

STATE AVERAGE - 516

MATH AVERAGE - 463

STATE AVERAGE - 519

VERBAL AVERAGE - 434

STATE AVERAGE - 501

MATH AVERAGE - 439

STATE AVERAGE - 516

VERBAL AVERAGE - 418

STATE AVERAGE - 494

SPECIAL ESSAY - 421

$ 16,000- per pupil per year doesn't buy much these days does it?

THANKS TO OPRA, HERE ARE THE RESULTS OF THE WORLD CLASS EDUCATION RECEIVED IN HARRISON.  SHOWN BELOW ARE THE LAST 3 YEARS OF SAT SCORES.

.  .  . 

MATH AVERAGE - 442

STATE AVERAGE - 516

MATH AVERAGE - 463

STATE AVERAGE - 519

VERBAL AVERAGE - 434

STATE AVERAGE - 501

MATH AVERAGE - 439

STATE AVERAGE - 516

VERBAL AVERAGE - 418

STATE AVERAGE - 494

SPECIAL ESSAY - 421

Well, maybe if we had better teachers and not just people who have the jobs because of who they know and who they are related to, this wouldnt be going on. Take a look around. Most are those who are teaching in Harrison now are related some how to someone already " in the town" or because someone owed their family something somewhere down the line. Do you honestly think that education is on the boards minds when they hire new teachers?? I think not! If education was top priority, we would have diff. teachers for our children and they would actually be learning something because the teachers wouldnt care about who is related to who and whos not happy with the work and whos going to go back and tell their parents what. I say get all out of town teachers who no one knows and see how high the scores become then!

Well, maybe if we had better teachers and not just people who have the jobs because of who they know and who they are related to, this wouldnt be going on.  Take a look around.  Most are those who are teaching in Harrison now are related some how to someone already " in the town" or because someone owed their family something somewhere down the line.  Do you honestly think that education is on the boards minds when they hire new teachers??  I think not!  If education was top priority, we would have diff. teachers for our children and they would actually be learning something because the teachers wouldnt care about who is related to who and whos not happy with the work and whos going to go back and tell their parents what.  I say get all out of town teachers who no one knows and see how high the scores become then!

While nepotism continues to run rampant in town and in the school system, its not fair to place the total blame on the faculty. Many traits are learned through your upbringing. Did the parents sit with their kids when they were younger, and read a book with them?, check their homework maybe?, or were they too busy playing PlayStation with them? If a kid has a desire to learn, he or she will learn, regardless of the obstacles in the way.

Maybe also if half the kids spoke English that would be helpful. We spend too much time catering to so called "protected classes" and "minorities." I think much time is taken away from appropraite teachings because they must tend to too many external issues such as this.

Even still, by seeing the test results, its time for the district to rethinking their strategy, because whether its the district, administration, teachers, parents or the students, something is seriously not working here!

Well, maybe if we had better teachers and not just people who have the jobs because of who they know and who they are related to, this wouldnt be going on.  Take a look around.  Most are those who are teaching in Harrison now are related some how to someone already " in the town" or because someone owed their family something somewhere down the line.  Do you honestly think that education is on the boards minds when they hire new teachers??  I think not!  If education was top priority, we would have diff. teachers for our children and they would actually be learning something because the teachers wouldnt care about who is related to who and whos not happy with the work and whos going to go back and tell their parents what.  I say get all out of town teachers who no one knows and see how high the scores become then!

The teachers in Harrison are great. Its not their fault. They have to teach kids who most learn the language first and that is a difficult task.

You know, there is another way to look at it,if you take into consideration ALL of the factors effecting the students that are taking the SAT'S.Maybe, just maybe, it's freaking amazing that they were able to score as high as they did.

It's very easy to take numbers out of context and make assine assumptions.For example ,if you compare the number of students going on to college, Harrison's number far exceeds Kearny.Ergo, Harrison must have a better system than Kearny.When you take the trouble to read the caveat you find the number is derived from students who SAY they plan to attend.

You know the old axiom "Figures don't lie but liars figure." You have made this an art form by disparaging a whole district of professionals,albeit there are always some bad apples.Grind your political axe somewhere else

Guest Pythagoras

Let's go to the brightess bulbs in the entire Harrison School System, Mr.Anthony Comprelli and his predecessor Mr. DiSalvo, and all their selected academicians in administration for some answers. The system has and will continue to be a poor excuse for Education. The best question to pose to the Virus on the top of the Salary guide is, " Why is the Harrison School District that you supervise and oversee not good enough for your children?

It couldn't be the kids have no home life and no one to make sure they do their home work, and get good grades. The problem must be the teachers. Even though most have advanced degrees and have many years expierence they obviously arn't teaching your little Johnny a thing.

If you really want a scary thought, Harrison High has least amount of kids taking the SATs' than any other high school in the county. This is our best and brightest kids getting these scores. The Teachers must have the other kids really dumb up.

You must be right we have smart kids and dumb teachers. Enjoy the cool aid.

Let's go to the brightess bulbs in the entire Harrison School System, Mr.Anthony Comprelli and his predecessor Mr. DiSalvo, and all their selected academicians in administration for some answers. The system has and will continue to be a poor excuse for Education. The best question to pose to the Virus on the top of the Salary guide is, " Why is the Harrison School District that you supervise and oversee not good enough for your children?

so true, so true !

You know, there is another way to look at it,if you take into consideration ALL of the factors effecting the students that are taking the SAT'S.Maybe, just maybe, it's freaking amazing that they were able to score as high as they did.

It's very easy to take numbers out of context and make assine assumptions.For example ,if you compare the number of students going on to college, Harrison's number far exceeds Kearny.Ergo, Harrison must have a better system than Kearny.When you take the trouble to read the caveat you find the number is derived from students who SAY they plan to attend.

You know the old axiom "Figures don't lie but liars figure." You have made this an art form by disparaging a whole district of professionals,albeit there are always some bad apples.Grind your political axe somewhere else

The number of children going to college is based on the students desire to go to college. How many go is another number, which is not mentioned.

These Harrison Teachers are full of excuses. They talk about Harrison kids in the same regards as children in Newark and Camden.

Get it through your thick heads. Harrison is not a bad town. I could only imagine if some of these teachers actually had to teach in a "poor" district, what would the results be then?

The problem with Harrison is that family and friends get all these cushy jobs and they are way to comfortable. Its really that simple! If you work in some place and you know you have no shot shot of getting written up or fired, then you really start to be lazy and not do the best you can.

This happens everywhere in small town all across America. The thing that gets me is that they dont admit that the only reason a lot of them have jobs is because of their connections.

These Harrison Teachers are full of excuses.  They talk about Harrison kids in the same regards as children in Newark and Camden. 

Get it through your thick heads.  Harrison is not a bad town.  I could only imagine if some of these teachers actually had to teach in a "poor" district, what would the results be then?

The problem with Harrison is that family and friends get all these cushy jobs and they are way to comfortable.  Its really that simple!  If you work in some place and you know you have no shot shot of getting written up or fired, then you really start to be lazy and not do the best you can.

This happens everywhere in small town all across America.  The thing that gets me is that they dont admit that the only reason a lot of them have jobs is because of their connections.

:rolleyes:

they are the same , they are CLASSIFIED AS "ABBOTT"

WE ARE THE BEST OF THE ABBOTTS . GOOD JOB TEACHERS HHS.

GWB.43

These Harrison Teachers are full of excuses.  They talk about Harrison kids in the same regards as children in Newark and Camden. 

Get it through your thick heads.  Harrison is not a bad town.  I could only imagine if some of these teachers actually had to teach in a "poor" district, what would the results be then?

The problem with Harrison is that family and friends get all these cushy jobs and they are way to comfortable.  Its really that simple!  If you work in some place and you know you have no shot shot of getting written up or fired, then you really start to be lazy and not do the best you can.

This happens everywhere in small town all across America.  The thing that gets me is that they dont admit that the only reason a lot of them have jobs is because of their connections.

Sure we do, it's not what we know or even who we know, but who we &****

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

:unsure:

they are the same ,  they are  CLASSIFIED AS  "ABBOTT"

WE ARE THE BEST  OF THE ABBOTTS  . GOOD JOB TEACHERS HHS.

GWB.43

According to the SAT scores in the newspaper for the surrounding local towns, Harrison did "LOWER" in ALL 3 YRS than Kearny and N. Arlington and instead of the scores 'going UP" in the past 3 yrs, they got LOWER 'each" successive year!!!

That's nothing to brag about. The Harrison school system should be ashamed of themselves.

Wait a second did a teacher just compare Harrison to Newark or Camden just based on the NCLB guideline of Abbott District???

Wow well I guess I was right you are full of excuse and at the same time ignorant.

How could compare Harrison Kids situations to those in Camden??

Actually how dare you.

Excuses are cheap. Motivate these kids to do better.

Also I heard excuses of language barriers...please spare me.

Go teach in Perth Amboy or New Brunswick were 60% of the children are LEP.

Again excuses excuses.

Best quote had to be "we are the best of the Abbotts"

Abbott districts are based on finance guess what Abbott district has the best finance??? You guessed it Harrison.

So is it the Teachers?? Or is just the system?

Guest harrison teachers are a-ok

wow Kearny had a 939 hudge number compared to harrison a much smaller school. You know maybe it's the suspension rate kearny is up at 27% harrison is at 3% maybe we allow the trouble to stay in the classes and be disruptful i wouldn't blame the teachers school is what you want out of it and put into it!! old saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink!!!

wow Kearny had a 939 hudge number compared to harrison a much smaller school. You know maybe it's the suspension rate kearny is up at 27% harrison is at 3% maybe we allow the trouble to stay in the classes and be disruptful i wouldn't blame the teachers school is what you want out of it and put into it!! old saying goes you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink!!!

Yeah but when the horse trainer's family owns the track...it's easy to get a job

Guest St. Benedict !

Have Mr. Shields address this issue! He is well versed in the Educational jargon. He could spin a few paragraphs on what he can determine the issues to be? You can find him most of the time in his office under his desk! The people of our town need to get rid of this mentality, starting in the Office of the Superintendent, then move over and demand a VOTED School Board, removing the political hacks presently appointed by the Mahogany Mayor. Then cleaning house will have a chance, until then everything is what it is!