Hitler’s big lie compared to global warming

Guest Paul

I have been absent from KOTW for a few weeks because our attorneys were attempting to negotiate an amicable resolution with the school district to avoid litigation. However, and after consultation with our attorneys, it does not appear that the district is interested in resolving the matter amicably. I do wish to state publicly, however, that they have taken some affirmative steps, which we applaud and wish to encourage, but also other steps that are very unfortunate and ill-advised, especially because they occurred during negotiations without advising our attorneys. Therefore, and after consultation with our attorneys, I return here.

On January 24, 2007 --- ironically, a day on which Al Gore’s film “An Inconvenient Truth” was being shown to another class at KHS --- in open class, Mr. Paszkiewicz compared reports on global warming to Hitler’s propaganda technique, commonly called the big lie. Mr. Paszkiewicz correctly observed that Hitler was a master propagandist who understood that if a lie is repeated often enough people will often believe it. Hitler wrote about this technique in “Mein Kampf” and used it throughout his time in power. Part of what Mr. Paszkiewicz said is true.

However, in comparing the world’s media and scientists to Hitler’s propaganda machine, Mr. Paszkiewicz acted irresponsibly, yet again, to promote his personal political agenda. He has every right to his political beliefs, radical as they may be. He has no right to misuse his position as a public school teacher to dismiss developing science that is being discussed by qualified teachers in the science department, especially when it is obvious that he knows very little about science.

For example, the mere fact that scientists were also concerned about another Ice Age does not mean that they don’t know what they’re doing. They saw data that led them to conclude that human technology was affecting the environment. In the early stages of data collection and analysis, the precise nature of the effects may not be clear. Comparing this to a crime investigation, the investigator initially knows something is up; as he continues to investigate, the picture becomes clear. That is how science works. Mr. Paszkiewicz’s failure to understand that would not be troubling, but his expression of that in class is very troubling. Not to mention that scientists believe global warming could lead to an Ice Age. We’ve never been down this road, so scientists are trying to understand the data as best they can.

That hardly merits an irresponsible and inflammatory comparison to Hitler. This comparison implies far more than merely an opinion that global warming may not be true. (Ironically, the story in the Star-Ledger and Jersey Journal appears on the day the UN is releasing a comprehensive study confirming the fact of global warming.) A history teacher presuming to dismiss the entire scientific community from his ignorance is bad enough. Comparing dedicated scientists all over the world to Hitler is outrageous.

That this does not violate any law is not the point. This comment is irresponsible and inflammatory. It undermines legitimate teaching in the science department. It is based on nothing except the teacher’s biases. What is worst, perhaps, is that Mr. Paszkiewicz seems not to have learned anything from this episode. If he cannot control himself in front of my son, with whom he has a history, the reasonable conclusion is that he cannot and will not control himself in other classes if this episode is allowed to pass.

Personally, I would like to see Mr. Paszkiewicz take remedial education classes so that he might better appreciate his role and his limits as a history teacher. As one of many taxpayers paying his salary, I do not appreciate his using my money to fill students’ heads with his prejudices.

Finally, The Star-Ledger, and I presume the Jersey Journal, misquote me today to say that we wrote four letters to the Board of Education after Matthew revealed his recordings of Mr. Paszkiewicz’s class. I have contacted the reporter and advised him that our four letters to the administration (including one or two to the Board) were written after Matthew revealed his recordings, not before. Whether they will issue a correction I do not know, so I wanted to be sure to issue one here.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been absent from KOTW for a few weeks because our attorneys were attempting to negotiate an amicable resolution with the school district to avoid litigation. However, and after consultation with our attorneys, it does not appear that the district is interested in resolving the matter amicably. I do wish to state publicly, however, that they have taken some affirmative steps, which we applaud and wish to encourage, but also other steps that are very unfortunate and ill-advised, especially because they occurred during negotiations without advising our attorneys. Therefore, and after consultation with our attorneys, I return here.

On January 24, 2007 --- ironically, a day on which Al Gore’s film “An Inconvenient Truth” was being shown to another class at KHS --- in open class, Mr. Paszkiewicz compared reports on global warming to Hitler’s propaganda technique, commonly called the big lie. Mr. Paszkiewicz correctly observed that Hitler was a master propagandist who understood that if a lie is repeated often enough people will often believe it. Hitler wrote about this technique in “Mein Kampf” and used it throughout his time in power. Part of what Mr. Paszkiewicz said is true.

However, in comparing the world’s media and scientists to Hitler’s propaganda machine, Mr. Paszkiewicz acted irresponsibly, yet again, to promote his personal political agenda.

And what was that political agenda, Paul?

Is there a transcript?

He has every right to his political beliefs, radical as they may be. He has no right to misuse his position as a public school teacher to dismiss developing science that is being discussed by qualified teachers in the science department, especially when it is obvious that he knows very little about science.

So, even if it were true that Goebbels-like techniques were used to publicize global warming it would be wrong to compare the two?

For example, the mere fact that scientists were also concerned about another Ice Age does not mean that they don’t know what they’re doing. They saw data that led them to conclude that human technology was affecting the environment. In the early stages of data collection and analysis, the precise nature of the effects may not be clear. Comparing this to a crime investigation, the investigator initially knows something is up; as he continues to investigate, the picture becomes clear. That is how science works. Mr. Paszkiewicz’s failure to understand that would not be troubling, but his expression of that in class is very troubling. Not to mention that scientists believe global warming could lead to an Ice Age. We’ve never been down this road, so scientists are trying to understand the data as best they can.

That hardly merits an irresponsible and inflammatory comparison to Hitler.

That transcript would sure be handy.

This comparison implies far more than merely an opinion that global warming may not be true. (Ironically, the story in the Star-Ledger and Jersey Journal appears on the day the UN is releasing a comprehensive study confirming the fact of global warming.) A history teacher presuming to dismiss the entire scientific community from his ignorance is bad enough. Comparing dedicated scientists all over the world to Hitler is outrageous.

Haven't you just slipped into some irresponsible hyperbole yourself, Mr. LaClair?

That this does not violate any law is not the point. This comment is irresponsible and inflammatory. It undermines legitimate teaching in the science department.

How?

(let's see the transcript)

It is based on nothing except the teacher’s biases. What is worst, perhaps, is that Mr. Paszkiewicz seems not to have learned anything from this episode. If he cannot control himself in front of my son, with whom he has a history, the reasonable conclusion is that he cannot and will not control himself in other classes if this episode is allowed to pass.

Personally, I would like to see Mr. Paszkiewicz take remedial education classes so that he might better appreciate his role and his limits as a history teacher. As one of many taxpayers paying his salary, I do not appreciate his using my money to fill students’ heads with his prejudices.

If you applied your standard without your personal bias, Mr. LaClair, we'd have precious few schoolteachers left.

And not necessarily the best ones, either.

Finally, The Star-Ledger, and I presume the Jersey Journal, misquote me today to say that we wrote four letters to the Board of Education after Matthew revealed his recordings of Mr. Paszkiewicz’s class. I have contacted the reporter and advised him that our four letters to the administration (including one or two to the Board) were written after Matthew revealed his recordings, not before. Whether they will issue a correction I do not know, so I wanted to be sure to issue one here.

It's not surprising that they have trouble getting your story straight, given that you have trouble with it yourself ("misquote me today to say that we wrote four letters to the Board of Education after Matthew revealed his recordings" v. "were written after Matthew revealed his recordings").

That's no way to correct a misquotation, Counselor. <_<

Guest KearnyKard

However, in comparing the world’s media and scientists to Hitler’s propaganda machine, Mr. Paszkiewicz acted irresponsibly, yet again, to promote his personal political agenda. He has every right to his political beliefs, radical as they may be. He has no right to misuse his position as a public school teacher to dismiss developing science that is being discussed by qualified teachers in the science department, especially when it is obvious that he knows very little about science.

That hardly merits an irresponsible and inflammatory comparison to Hitler. This comparison implies far more than merely an opinion that global warming may not be true. (Ironically, the story in the Star-Ledger and Jersey Journal appears on the day the UN is releasing a comprehensive study confirming the fact of global warming.) A history teacher presuming to dismiss the entire scientific community from his ignorance is bad enough. Comparing dedicated scientists all over the world to Hitler is outrageous.

That this does not violate any law is not the point. This comment is irresponsible and inflammatory. It undermines legitimate teaching in the science department. It is based on nothing except the teacher’s biases. What is worst, perhaps, is that Mr. Paszkiewicz seems not to have learned anything from this episode. If he cannot control himself in front of my son, with whom he has a history, the reasonable conclusion is that he cannot and will not control himself in other classes if this episode is allowed to pass.

Don't you have a freakin life outside of KOTW ?? If I read one more posting from anyone named Paul, I think I will vomit. Does "Ad Nauseam" mean anything to you !!

Don't you have a freakin life outside of KOTW  ??  If I read one more posting from anyone named Paul, I think I will vomit.  Does "Ad Nauseam" mean anything to you !!

Does "The United States Constitution" mean anything to you?

Don't you have a freakin life outside of KOTW  ??  If I read one more posting from anyone named Paul, I think I will vomit.

Hint: Paul has been completely silent on this forum for several weeks prior to his post in this thread. You just said something very dumb. Pay attention before you whine next time (and if you couldn't tell that some of the posts by people pretending to be Paul were forgeries, then that's even sadder). <_<

Hint: Paul has been completely silent on this forum for several weeks prior to his post in this thread. You just said something very dumb. Pay attention before you whine next time (and if you couldn't tell that some of the posts by people pretending to be Paul were forgeries, then that's even sadder). <_<

"Love is in the air"

Hey Strife,

Stop been such an idiot, and get your head out of Paul's behind.

He did not stay alway. I did see him sign in many times.

You can't prove that he did not write here as a guest. :P

I would like to know why you cover for Paul so much? :lol:

Did he promise you something? Or you just do not have a mind of your own?

I think mr. LaClair thinks we are stupid. First of all, you haven't been absent from KOTW at all. In case you don't know, we can see the members that are reading the topics. You were one of them! Next time you don't want people to know that you are on KOTW, make sure you read the topics as guess..That's the first lie of the day! Second of all, you said, "without advising our attorneys..." the board doesn't need to advice your attorneys about anything that they decide! Maybe that's why they didn't do it. About the Star Ledger, no need to make any corrections, remember what the media says is always true, isn't it? Oh, Mr. LaCLair lied again! <_< "Mr. Paszkiewicz seems not to have learned anything from this episode" He did, he learned how to deal with students like your son. Students who secretly record a class because he has an agenda and a daddy to promote. I am sure Mr. P has learned a lot! By the way, Mr. LaClair, did Matthew record this class too? Or we will have to ask the students in the classroom what really happened? In case you do not know, those students are credible too! If you can't prove what you say, then we cannot believe you.. lied again? Great job, good lawyer! :lol:

Guest marioFromWO

Paul,

I live in West Orange, so I don't have as much of a personal stake in this mess as you and some of the others here, but I'd just like to say that I'm grateful that you're fighting this fight.

Guys like Paszkiewicz need to be exposed, and in this case, disciplined for their breach of the public trust. The fact that it took secret recordings of his blatherings to bring this issue to a head is frightening. It's just not possible that his colleagues and the administration were not aware of his misconduct. Or that parents of students past and present weren't aware.

So, kudos to you and your son.

Hi Paul - welcome back. I've been away myself and was saddened to see the same regurgitation of arguments that existed when I left. I wonder ... (a) do you think that if this were the first issue on your plate in respect of Mr. P (rather than the polarizing religious issue) that you and your son would have been attacked with the same venomous resolve, and (B) now that you have already been involved in a high profile dispute over Mr. P, whether people will give this issue the consideration you hope it will receive?

By the way, many of those qualified teachers in the science department are the individuals who taught Mr. P science. He's a product of the Kearny Schools system.

I'd like to know what Hitler's Big Lie was.  Just curious.

It wasn't any one statement. It was and is a principle. Hitler understood that if something is reapeated often enough, people will often believe it.

Hitler also understood that the bigger the lie, the more likely it is to be believed, because people will not believe that someone will lie that boldly about something so important. He described this in Mein Kampf.

How ironic that the principle is employed by Mr. Paszkiewicz's political hero today. WMD's in Iraq, for example. There are plenty of other examples from the modern political right in America. Of course, Mr. Paszkiewicz neglected to mention any of them, using instead an inconvenient truth that he prefers not to believe.

Second of all, you said, "without advising our attorneys..." the board doesn't need to advice your attorneys about anything that they decide! Maybe that's why they didn't do it.  . . . By the way, Mr. LaClair, did Matthew record this class too? Or we will have to ask the students in the classroom what really happened? In case you do not know, those students are credible too!

It's not a question of needing or not needing advice. You don't negotiate with a party, then adopt policies that affect those negotiations without telling them. That's bad faith, horrid lawyering, or both.

Matthew will most likely address the school board at the Feb. 20 meeting, detailing what Mr. Paszkiewicz said about Hitler and global warming. If students who were in the class would like to come and give their accounts, I am sure they will be heard.

Wow!!! Just found this in the internet.

"Hitler's Big Lie" His primary rules were: never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it.

I can see where Paul got his straregies from. :o

If you applied your standard without your personal bias, Mr. LaClair, we'd have precious few schoolteachers left.

That's not true, Bryan. This is the only teacher we've formally complained about.

At what point did you eliminate your personal bias, Paul?

Is that "formally" in there a bit of Clintonian/lawyerly parsing?

How many have you informally complained about?

You're pathetic! You definetely have no life! I would be embarrased if I were you!

Wow!!! Just found this in the internet.

"Hitler's Big Lie" His primary rules were: never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it.

I can see where Paul got his straregies from. :excl:

Excellent!!!!

There is no single "Big Lie". It's a technique.

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Lie

And as you read it, see if you can notice similarities between it and the techiniques of a certain current US administration and its enablers.

Ahhh.....I definitely see similarities between it and the techniques of Paul LaClair!!!

Hi Paul - welcome back.  I've been away myself and was saddened to see the same regurgitation of arguments that existed when I left.  I wonder ... (a) do you think that if this were the first issue on your plate in respect of Mr. P (rather than the polarizing religious issue) that you and your son would have been attacked with the same venomous resolve, and (:excl: now that you have already been involved in a high profile dispute over Mr. P, whether people will give this issue the consideration you hope it will receive? 

By the way, many of those qualified teachers in the science department are the individuals who taught Mr. P science.  He's a product of the Kearny Schools system.

(a) I don't think there's any question that what passes for religion in our culture often brings out the worst in people. That's largely because our culture has turned religion on its head. Religion is supposed to encompass all things (re) and bring it all together into a coherent whole (ligare). Parochial religions do the exact opposite. The minute Charlemagne pushed a state religion, or any religion declared itself superior to all others by dint of pure fiat, the die was cast for the prolonged human tragedy that has since unfolded.

(:huh: On the other hand, if the profile wasn't as high, the opportunities for change wouldn't be as great. We'll need some breaks, but it could happen.

I'd like to know what Hitler's Big Lie was.  Just curious.

I can see where Paul got his straregies from.

That's not true, Bryan. This is the only teacher we've formally complained about.

At what point did you eliminate your personal bias, Paul?

At the same point you eliminated yours, Bryan.

You're not a stupid person. You'd do yourself and everyone you touch a great service by looking at the forest instead of only the molecules inside every leaf on every tree.