Put up or shut up

Guest Guest

Guest A Christian
It seems Paul has his answer from the BOE.  Basically they're not going to do anything. 

It's time to let the courts decide.

If that means we've seen the last of Paul, Strife and the rest of the merry band of liberal pukes, then I say ......Amen, Brother !!

If that means we've seen the last of Paul, Strife and the rest of the merry band of liberal pukes, then I say ......Amen, Brother !!

It means it's up to Paul whether he wants to sue the BOE to force the issue in open court.

I for one would love to see the School Board sued over this, considering they didn't do anything to Rev. Pasceweicz. After all, if they support his teaching that dinosaurs were on Noah's Ark, then they obviously can't be trusted to run the schools.

At best, we should vote out the entire school board next election like they did in Dover, PA when the Christian Taliban tried to force "Intelligent Design" into the curriculum.

It means it's up to Paul whether he wants to sue the BOE to force the issue in open court.

I for one would love to see the School Board sued over this, considering they didn't do anything to Rev. Pasceweicz.  After all, if they support his teaching that dinosaurs were on Noah's Ark, then they obviously can't be trusted to run the schools.

At best, we should vote out the entire school board next election like they did in Dover, PA when the Christian Taliban tried to force "Intelligent Design" into the curriculum.

Just don't forget that christians vote and they are the majority in Kearny!

Guest wrote: "Just don't forget that christians vote and they are the majority in Kearny!"

It may not be necessary to point this out, but many Christians, far from being in favor of the actions of Paszkiewicz and the inaction of the Kearny BOE, are horrified by these events.

People who take our form of government seriously, and who understand the Constitutional issues involved here, are unlikely to vote to continue the status quo in Kearny.

I can promise you, if this happened in Austin, my church would be in the forefront of those calling for firing the teacher. We, as parents and as members of a Christian community, take our responsibility for providing moral and religious training to our youngsters very seriously. We would be appalled to find the public schools stepping into that role (illegally, I might add).

So I wouldn't count on the "Christian vote" to validate your beliefs, Guest.

Leigh Williams

Austin, Texas

Guest wrote: "Just don't forget that christians vote and they are the majority in Kearny!"

It may not be necessary to point this out, but many Christians, far from being in favor of the actions of Paszkiewicz and the inaction of the Kearny BOE, are horrified by these events.

People who take our form of government seriously, and who understand the Constitutional issues involved here, are unlikely to vote to continue the status quo in Kearny.

I can promise you, if this happened in Austin, my church would be in the forefront of those calling for firing the teacher.  We, as parents and as members of a Christian community, take our responsibility for providing moral and religious training to our youngsters very seriously.  We would be appalled to find the public schools stepping into that role (illegally, I might add).

Leigh Williams

Austin, Texas

I don't think you can use anyplace in Texas as an example of cutting edge on any subject.

Guest A Christian

I can promise you, if this happened in Austin, my church would be in the forefront of those calling for firing the teacher.  We, as parents and as members of a Christian community, take our responsibility for providing moral and religious training to our youngsters very seriously.  We would be appalled to find the public schools stepping into that role (illegally, I might add).

Leigh Williams

Austin, Texas

Recognizing that Texas leads the nation in killing people, "if this happened in Austin" would probably result in a lethal injection. I'm sure you're very proud.

Recognizing that Texas leads the nation in killing people, "if this happened in Austin"  would probably result in a lethal injection. I'm sure you're very proud.

Actually, Christianity leads the world in killing people.

Thousands more people died at the hands of Christians over the ages than from any other religion.

Although the Muslims are catching up.

Christianity has a proud heritage of mass slaughter. And going back to the "Old" testament, you can read lots more tales of God's love.

Amelekite Babies anyone?

So, before you start throwing stones, look in the mirror, and beg your Jesus for forgiveness. It sure beats living right the first time.

Leigh Williams

Austin, Texas

The difference between the Christians in Kearny and the Christians in Texas it that we actually "believe that we have to go and make disciples of all nation..." This is a very serious issue and you guys seem to be ignoring it. Fortunately, we are not in Texas and the Christians residents in Kearny, NEW JERSEY....you know the ones that VOTE in Kearny don't think the same way your christians do! However, when there is an issue like this one in Austin, you are free to take your church members and protest. Remember, in Austin, not in KEARNY!

Actually, Christianity leads the world in killing people.

Thousands more people died at the hands of Christians over the ages than from any other religion.

Although the Muslims are catching up.

Christianity has a proud heritage of mass slaughter.  And going back to the "Old" testament, you can read lots more tales of God's love.

Amelekite Babies anyone?

So, before you start throwing stones, look in the mirror, and beg your Jesus for forgiveness.  It sure beats living right the first time.

Uhm...Actually, he was talking about current history in our nation. Everyone knows about the "Crusades". Are you actually saying that christians are the leading murderers in our nation? and that they are "proud" of the Crusades?

The difference between the Christians in Kearny and the Christians in Texas it that we actually "believe that we have to go and make disciples of all nation..."  This is a very serious issue and you guys seem to be ignoring it. Fortunately, we are not in Texas and the Christians residents in Kearny, NEW JERSEY....you know the ones that VOTE in Kearny don't think the same way your christians do! However, when there is an issue like this one in Austin, you are free to take your church members and protest. Remember, in Austin, not in KEARNY!

Welcome to TALIBAN Kearny!

I for one am not interested in being a disciple of your Jesus.

I do not want my children hearing your Jesus fairy tales in history class.

You can take your children to church and brainwash them with all your nonsense, and they can stand on street corners and pass out leaflets with their fables.

But the minute you come into the school you are violating the rights of everyone in that building who wants an education, not a blind recitation of 2000 year old superstitions.

But for your Kearny Christians who want to make disciples of all nations, you should take a cue from the Taliban. They want to make disciples of all nations too.

One nation under God. Not YOUR God, not MY God. All Gods.

Keep your Jesus stuffed under your mattress where it belongs.

The difference between the Christians in Kearny and the Christians in Texas it that we actually "believe that we have to go and make disciples of all nation..."  This is a very serious issue and you guys seem to be ignoring it.

It's disgustingly pretentious and arrogant for any theist to go around trying to convert everybody. What possesses such a person to actually think their god or their interpretation of some holy book is right at all, much LESS 'more right' than that of any other person? Such arrogance makes me sick.

Uhm...Actually, he was talking about current history in our nation. Everyone knows about the "Crusades".  Are you actually saying that christians are the leading murderers in our nation?

Well, demographically, yeah, by virtue of being the largest religious demographic. :P But in all seriousness, I don't know which group has the largest 'per capita' murdering rate.

and that they are "proud" of the Crusades?

Some are still crusading--wasn't it less than a year ago that a Christian (or was it more than one?) tried (I believe they were stopped) to bomb an abortion clinic because of his pro-life stance?

It's disgustingly pretentious and arrogant for any theist to go around trying to convert everybody. What possesses such a person to actually think their god or their interpretation of some holy book is right at all, much LESS 'more right' than that of any other person? Such arrogance makes me sick.

Welcome to Taliban America!

These are the people running your government right now.

People who believe their superstition is superior to everyone else's superstition and are willing to throw away all reason to enforce their superstition as supreme.

And the Taliban is alive and well in Kearny.

The difference between the Christians in Kearny and the Christians in Texas it that we actually "believe that we have to go and make disciples of all nation..."  This is a very serious issue and you guys seem to be ignoring it. Fortunately, we are not in Texas and the Christians residents in Kearny, NEW JERSEY....you know the ones that VOTE in Kearny don't think the same way your christians do! However, when there is an issue like this one in Austin, you are free to take your church members and protest. Remember, in Austin, not in KEARNY!

I hesitate to use the word “stupid” to describe anyone’s thinking, but posts like this one are just stupid. On the one hand, DP’s defenders say he wasn’t preaching, and simultaneously (apparently without seeing the obvious contradiction) argue that he was expressing their commitment to convert all nations and all people to Christianity. At least the latter comment is honest, but it is not consistent with a nation of many religions living together in peace --- never mind the fact that many of us are not impressed with a theology that includes eternal damnation in a state of exquisite and unremitting anguish in its concept of justice.

Then there's that "one nation" thing: What happens to that if the Constitution means different things in different parts of the country? For people who can talk themselves into things like this, nothing matters --- the facts don’t matter, the rights of other people don’t matter, the law and the Constitution don't matter, the peace, security and stability of our country does not matter, everything is a desperate attempt to insulate themselves in a false sense of security at the right hand of a vengeful and vindictive god (not consistent with a loving god at all, they can’t be the same god), as long as this god can be seen as being vengeful only to other people, of course. They can't maintain that false sense of security unless everyone around them agrees --- that's how fragile and indefensible this theology is. No wonder these people can't think straight: they're scared half to death of an angry god who can't possibly exist if their own theology is right about god being loving.

“Stupid” only begins the description. This is destructive of our very civilization.

Then we read comments like this in response to Leigh Williams’ intelligent and reasoned post:

“Recognizing that Texas leads the nation in killing people, ‘if this happened in Austin’ would probably result in a lethal injection. I'm sure you're very proud.”

“I don't think you can use anyplace in Texas as an example of cutting edge on any subject.”

Of course, if Williams had been defending Bush or some other right-winger from Texas, the authors of the quoted responses immediately preceding this paragraph would be singing Texas’ praises. All Ms. Williams was saying is that in her group they understand these issues. So two people who obviously don’t understand the issues, let alone what a reasoned argument looks like, make stupid remarks about an entire state to imply that everyone in that state thinks a certain way, which of course is a perfect illustration of bias and bigotry.

Then of course we have Bryan, who seems to think anyone is actually reading his lengthy meanderings about nothing. All Bryan ever does is string together words, but they’re not grounded in anything real. They’re just hypothetical musings about an imaginary world that does not exist.

And of course, everyone’s “favorite,” 2smart4u. Why does anyone bother responding to this intellectual midget? --- sorry, dwarf.

The scariest thing is that people like this get to vote. No wonder our country is in the mess it’s in. It was thinking like this that elected the current president, because if you look at the way he ran his campaign, this is exactly the kind of idiotic thinking his campaign lived on and got elected with. And now the entire world is paying the price. This situation with DP, who was completely out of line in that classroom, is just one small example of the same thing.

Welcome to TALIBAN Kearny!

I for one am not interested in being a disciple of your Jesus.

I do not want my children hearing your Jesus fairy tales in history class.

You can take your children to church and brainwash them with all your nonsense, and they can stand on street corners and pass out leaflets with their fables.

But the minute you come into the school you are violating the rights of everyone in that building who wants an education, not a blind recitation of 2000 year old superstitions.

But for your Kearny Christians who want to make disciples of all nations, you should take a cue from the Taliban.  They want to make disciples of all nations too.

One nation under God.  Not YOUR God, not MY God.  All Gods.

Keep your Jesus stuffed under your mattress where it belongs.

But God none the less.

Guest 2smart4u
I hesitate to use the word “stupid” to describe anyone’s thinking, but posts like this one are just stupid. On the one hand, DP’s defenders say he wasn’t preaching, and simultaneously (apparently without seeing the obvious contradiction) argue that he was expressing their commitment to convert all nations and all people to Christianity. At least the latter comment is honest, but it is not consistent with a nation of many religions living together in peace --- never mind the fact that many of us are not impressed with a theology that includes eternal damnation in a state of exquisite and unremitting anguish in its concept of justice.

Then there's that "one nation" thing: What happens to that if the Constitution means different things in different parts of the country? For people who can talk themselves into things like this, nothing matters --- the facts don’t matter, the rights of other people don’t matter, the law and the Constitution don't matter, the peace, security and stability of our country does not matter, everything is a desperate attempt to insulate themselves in a false sense of security at the right hand of a vengeful and vindictive god (not consistent with a loving god at all, they can’t be the same god), as long as this god can be seen as being vengeful only to other people, of course. They can't maintain that false sense of security unless everyone around them agrees --- that's how fragile and indefensible this theology is. No wonder these people can't think straight: they're scared half to death of an angry god who can't possibly exist if their own theology is right about god being loving.

“Stupid” only begins the description. This is destructive of our very civilization.

Then we read comments like this in response to Leigh Williams’ intelligent and reasoned post:

“Recognizing that Texas leads the nation in killing people, ‘if this happened in Austin’ would probably result in a lethal injection. I'm sure you're very proud.”

“I don't think you can use anyplace in Texas as an example of cutting edge on any subject.”

Of course, if Williams had been defending Bush or some other right-winger from Texas, the authors of the quoted responses immediately preceding this paragraph would be singing Texas’ praises. All Ms. Williams was saying is that in her group they understand these issues. So two people who obviously don’t understand the issues, let alone what a reasoned argument looks like, make stupid remarks about an entire state to imply that everyone in that state thinks a certain way, which of course is a perfect illustration of bias and bigotry.

Then of course we have Bryan, who seems to think anyone is actually reading his lengthy meanderings about nothing. All Bryan ever does is string together words, but they’re not grounded in anything real. They’re just hypothetical musings about an imaginary world that does not exist.

And of course, everyone’s “favorite,” 2smart4u. Why does anyone bother responding to this intellectual midget? --- sorry, dwarf.

The scariest thing is that people like this get to vote. No wonder our country is in the mess it’s in. It was thinking like this that elected the current president, because if you look at the way he ran his campaign, this is exactly the kind of idiotic thinking his campaign lived on and got elected with. And now the entire world is paying the price. This situation with DP, who was completely out of line in that classroom, is just one small example of the same thing.

This is a brain on drugs.

"The difference between the Christians in Kearny and the Christians in Texas it that we actually "believe that we have to go and make disciples of all nation..." This is a very serious issue and you guys seem to be ignoring it."

Oh, no, we never ignore it. We work at it a lot and in many different ways. None of them, however, involve subjecting other people's children, a captive audience in the public schools, to proselytizing about our version of Christianity -- thus using the entire community's funds to advertise our views and solicit converts. Preventing such abuse is the very essence of the clause restricting the establishment of religion.

All the silly ad hominems I've been subjected to are really not worthy of comment (I'm not a barfly, cowmaid, or citizen of a third-world backwater). You folks are free to hold whatever view of Texas seems reasonable to you. I might just mention, however, that many Texans are opposed to the death penalty, and we are working to end this abomination.

Leigh Williams

Austin, Texas