Religion is slowly killing this great country

Guest reality

Guest reality

What is amazing is that for some reason this town actually is defending this teacher for breaking the law!!

A few facts here:

1) Evolution is not a whim of scientists. It is the ESTABLISHED mechanism explaining life on Earth and is the result of millions of hours of direct experimental evidence. There are no other theories that explain life at all.

2) Freedom of religion includes Freedom From Religion, and some of the arguements this town's people have made border on stupid. No one in this country has ever been (lawfully) prevented from praying in school, or anywhere for that matter. Government employees are prevented from creating an environment in which people feel coerced to pray.

3) Every single person on this Earth know that there are thousands of gods who do not exist. The only thing between them and believing that one more god does not exist is a little bit of critical thinking and intellectual honesty -- Let's be realistic. No one actually believes in god. No one will ever expect a real miracle. The only miracles that god has ever performed are those things that had a non-zero probability of happening anyway. Go ahead and pray all you want for an amputated limb to grow back, a bottomless supply of food, or the sky to turn green, or an A on a test you havent prepared for. It aint going to happen and everyone knows it.

There are obviously a million other things that can be added which directly disprove the existance of any deity you care to define. Why can't people just get on with their lives? But the can't and they don't, but your beliefs affect me and the decisions made by this government and I therefore am compelled to do whatever I can to encourage the process of eventual enlightenment, when our society no longer falls back on bronze age fantasies as an explanation of the universe.

That, and because I can't get enough of the responses from "Christians" who are so consumed with hatred towards the source of an idea they dislike... it almost feels like irony is dead since it is everywhere.

It would, however, be nice if your town did the right thing and lived up to the principles of this country and its constitution. I will keep my fingers crossed, and am very happy to explain my position to anyone who douvts it.

Thank you

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest paradigm shift
What is amazing is that for some reason this town actually is defending this teacher for breaking the law!!

A few facts here:

1) Evolution is not a whim of scientists. It is the ESTABLISHED mechanism explaining life on Earth and is the result of millions of hours of direct experimental evidence. There are no other theories that explain life at all.

2) Freedom of religion includes Freedom From Religion, and some of the arguements this town's people have made border on stupid.  No one in this country has ever been (lawfully) prevented from praying in school, or anywhere for that matter.  Government employees are prevented from creating an environment in which people feel coerced to pray.

3) Every single person on this Earth know that there are thousands of gods who do not exist.  The only thing between them and believing that one more god does not exist is a little bit of critical thinking and intellectual honesty -- Let's be realistic.  No one actually believes in god.  No one will ever expect a real miracle.  The only miracles that god has ever performed are those things that had a non-zero probability of happening anyway.  Go ahead and pray all you want for an amputated limb to grow back, a bottomless supply of food, or the sky to turn green, or an A on a test you havent prepared for.  It aint going to happen and everyone knows it.

There are obviously a million other things that can be added which directly disprove the existance of any deity you care to define.  Why can't people just get on with their lives?  But the can't and they don't, but your beliefs affect me and the decisions made by this government and I therefore am compelled to do whatever I can to encourage the process of eventual enlightenment, when our society no longer falls back on bronze age fantasies as an explanation of the universe.

That, and because I can't get enough of the responses from "Christians" who are so consumed with hatred towards the source of an idea they dislike... it almost feels like irony is dead since it is everywhere.

It would, however, be nice if your town did the right thing and lived up to the principles of this country and its constitution. I will keep my fingers crossed, and am very happy to explain my position to anyone who douvts it.

Thank you

Point 1- partially correct. Evolution is not merely a whim of scientists. There is evidence to support evolution. Scientists use evolution to explain differences in variations within a species type. Evidence for macro-evolution, the rocess of one sppecies becoming an entirely different species, is somewhat plausible however evidence for this is not overly abundant. You are however completely incorrect in your assesment that, "There are no other theories that explain life at all." Defintion of theory-a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, esp. one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained. By this definition, the creation of the world by God(judeo-christian), a god, a system of gods, or any other supernatural being, or the theory that we are merely a dream, or that reality does not exist are therefore "theories to explain the origins of life".

Point 2- I agree. It is not illegal to speak of one's religion in a public setting. Nor is it illegal to make someone uncomfortable. However, it is considerate to consider others before speaking or acting in a way that make cause discomfort. In that respect, I would agree that "if" religion comes up in the classroom, a teacher should be allowed to state there beliefs but should not be allowed to "proselytize" their students. If a studenyt wishes to learn more, the teacher should probably approach the parents and confirm whether it is appropriate to share the teacher's beliefs.

Point 3- Let's be realistic. I have honestly considered reality. I have applied critical thought. I consider myself fairly intelligent. Honors classes in a public school system. 31 on ACT tests. I've heard that's actually above average. I actually believe in God. Since your argument states that no one actually believes in God and I have porovided an example (myself) that contradicts your argument, your argument has failed. So sorry. Please do more research into what people actually believe before using unqualified suppositions.

You may respond to this post, but honestly I was just intrigued by the article in the New York Times RSS feed so I will probably never be back to this discussion forum. Thanks for reading. I hope I haven't offended anyone too much.

Nicely stated. Religion and religious dogma have done far more harm in this world than good. Anybody who takes a random book with unverifiable "facts" such as the christian bible as a serious part of their life philosophy has more than one screw loose. That this nutjob teaches history in a public school is indeed a scary proposition.

Guest 2smart4u

A few facts here:

2) Freedom of religion includes Freedom From Religion, and some of the arguements this town's people have made border on stupid.  No one in this country has ever been (lawfully) prevented from praying in school, or anywhere for that matter.  Government employees are prevented from creating an environment in which people feel coerced to pray.

3) Every single person on this Earth know that there are thousands of gods who do not exist.  The only thing between them and believing that one more god does not exist is a little bit of critical thinking and intellectual honesty -- Let's be realistic.  No one actually believes in god.  No one will ever expect a real miracle.  The only miracles that god has ever performed are those things that had a non-zero probability of happening anyway.  Go ahead and pray all you want for an amputated limb to grow back, a bottomless supply of food, or the sky to turn green, or an A on a test you havent prepared for.  It aint going to happen and everyone knows it.

There are obviously a million other things that can be added which directly disprove the existance of any deity you care to define.  Why can't people just get on with their lives?  But the can't and they don't, but your beliefs affect me and the decisions made by this government and I therefore am compelled to do whatever I can to encourage the process of eventual enlightenment, when our society no longer falls back on bronze age fantasies as an explanation of the universe.

Thank you

I'm amazed that some people are absolutely convinced that man has evolved from some lower life form without any evidence to support that position. We know birds and mammals have evolved over the millennium, and there's evidence of that. But man is another story, there is no evidence to support the THEORY that man has evolved from a lower life form. A "missing link" has never been found, dispite over one hundred years of serious digging around the world. Until ANY evidence is found, your arguments are hollow.

no, it is the fear that's killing our country. Especially the fear of our religious rights being taken away. Beside, since it was ever great? If it not religious, it is land rights, races, jealousy, greed, or addictions or other things I can't of. I bet you would like to destroy us christians to stop all religions, don't you? Well, I have news for you, you are no different from the rest of world.

I'm amazed that some people are absolutely convinced that man has evolved from some lower life form without any evidence to support that position.  We know birds and mammals have evolved over the millennium, and there's evidence of  that. But man is another story, there is no evidence to support the THEORY that man has evolved from a lower life form. A "missing link" has never been found, dispite over one hundred years of serious digging around the world. Until ANY evidence is found, your arguments are hollow.

i dunno who came up with the idea that "missing links" disprove or cast doubt upon evolution

evolution is a gradual process, meaning that one form changes into another gradually. For example, lets say a 2cm nose evolves into a 10cm nose. That means that there also existed a 3cm nose, a 4cm nose, a 5 cm nose, etc etc. Now, lets say we find fossils for the 3 cm nose, the 6 cm nose and then the 8 cm nose. Most people would say, gee--that's evidence for evolution. However, creationsts would say--no, that's evidence against evolution since you didn't find the 4 cm nose, the 5 cm nose or the 7cm nose. Those are "missing links."

But of course, these creationists are missing the point. The point is not to find every single cm nose between 2cm and 10cm. The point is that what we have found (the 3cm, 6cm, and 8cm) show evidence for the trend. Trying to find a nose of every size would be unexpected since fossils are fairly rare things. So it is unlikely that every size nose would be found.

Guest Guest_james_*
I'm amazed that some people are absolutely convinced that man has evolved from some lower life form without any evidence to support that position.  We know birds and mammals have evolved over the millennium, and there's evidence of  that. But man is another story, there is no evidence to support the THEORY that man has evolved from a lower life form. A "missing link" has never been found, dispite over one hundred years of serious digging around the world. Until ANY evidence is found, your arguments are hollow.

I'm amazed that some people are absolutely convinced that there is a god without any evidence to support that position. You cannot disprove the existence of anything, but that does not mean that the probability of some god existing is 50%. In fact, the probability of it is extremely low. There is NO evidence to support the existence of god. There is no evidence to support that praying to a god has any effect at all (in fact, there was a study to find out if prayer helped heart patients, and the ones that were prayed for did marginally worse during recovery than the ones that were not prayed for).

And contrary to you statements on the lack of evidence for evolution, there is plenty of evidence for macro evolution, especially when it comes to fish and amphibians. Just because we have not found a missing link doesn't mean that no evidence exists. Evidence is there, it's just not what you want. Keep making excuses for you warped ideology, because there is no way to convince you otherwise. You cannot reason with people that will believe in something without any evidence at all.

While you're making your excuses, maybe you should also think about why you don't believe in any Greek or Roman gods, Thor, Leprechauns, and fairies.

"God" is like santa but, for adults.

Oh, and you have to die before you get your presesnts.

Religion is the worst possible thing that has happened to the America, or the world as a whole.

As a believing Christian I would like to comment on your post. I take no issue with points 1 and 2. I have no issues with evolution or the scientific method and the teacher was wrong to use the classroom as a opportunity to scare, belittle and/or convert students. This issue is not a matter of freedom of speech or freedom of religion. He can attend church or even stand on a street corner and yell at the top of his lungs about these matters.

You lost me on point 3. Please do not lump all Christians in with some of the fundamentalists who use their "religion" for a political agenda that I find reprehensible. It is the equivalent of saying that all Muslims are terrorists--a view I do not endorse. You have the right to believe that I am delusional because I believe in God but please do not assume that I am bigoted, close-minded and mean.

Guest Cheryl Satansky
newsflash people

there is no god

I feel lthat scientists can use their knowledge and enlightenment to help make our existence on earth more pleasant and pleasureable. It makes me angry that this teacher is not knowledgeable or enlightened. Telling a young girl that she's going to Hell for being Muslim is apalling.

Guest 2smart4u
I'm amazed that some people are absolutely convinced that there is a god without any evidence to support that position.  You cannot disprove the existence of anything, but that does not mean that the probability of some god existing is 50%.  In fact, the probability of it is extremely low.  There is NO evidence to support the existence of god.  There is no evidence to support that praying to a god has any effect at all (in fact, there was a study to find out if prayer helped heart patients, and the ones that were prayed for did marginally worse during recovery than the ones that were not prayed for). 

And contrary to you statements on the lack of evidence for evolution, there is plenty of evidence for macro evolution, especially when it comes to fish and amphibians.  Just because we have not found a missing link doesn't mean that no evidence exists.  Evidence is there, it's just not what you want.  Keep making excuses for you warped ideology, because there is no way to convince you otherwise.  You cannot reason with people that will believe in something without any evidence at all.

While you're making your excuses, maybe you should also think about why you don't believe in any Greek or Roman gods, Thor, Leprechauns, and fairies.

I love your logic !! "Just because we have not found a missing link doesn't mean it doesn't exist" !!! LOL !!! That Kool-aid is warping your brain.

Guest Mark Gilbo

The fact that he stated the Dinosaurs were on Noah's ark is enough for me to get him relieved of his teaching duties. Place him on janitorial duty forever or send him away to a Catholic School where he can teach the sheep his idiotic beliefs.

Belief is NOT fact folks... Its just a belief.

Guest Christopher

I agree completly

Thanks for common sense response.

A few facts here:

Thank you

Guest 2smart4u
I'm amazed that some people are absolutely convinced that there is a god without any evidence to support that position.  You cannot disprove the existence of anything, but that does not mean that the probability of some god existing is 50%.  In fact, the probability of it is extremely low.  There is NO evidence to support the existence of god.  There is no evidence to support that praying to a god has any effect at all (in fact, there was a study to find out if prayer helped heart patients, and the ones that were prayed for did marginally worse during recovery than the ones that were not prayed for). 

And contrary to you statements on the lack of evidence for evolution, there is plenty of evidence for macro evolution, especially when it comes to fish and amphibians.  Just because we have not found a missing link doesn't mean that no evidence exists.  Evidence is there, it's just not what you want.  Keep making excuses for you warped ideology, because there is no way to convince you otherwise.  You cannot reason with people that will believe in something without any evidence at all.

If there is no God, how do you explain our existance .

The same way Copernicus broke it to your kind that the Earth is NOT, in fact, the center of the universe.

Science explains via evidence. You know.. Like how a curved horizon probably means that the Earth is not flat? Imagine.. humans had to come to terms with a round Earth YEARS before actually going into space and OBSERVING their globe of a planet...

Holy god what were they thinking?!?

The issue is what a teacher should teach. David Paszkiewicz stated "that dinosaurs were aboard Noah’s ark, and that only Christians had a place in heaven."

I was a teacher (at the University of Pennsylvania and at Temple University) and was born as a Catholic. I spent most of my 12 years of school in Catholic schools in Rome and in Philadelphia. Every day started with a half hour class of religion.

Mr. Paszkiewicz words about Jesus seems appropriate:

“If you reject his gift of salvation, then you know where you belong,”. “He did everything in his power to make sure that you could go to heaven, so much so that he took your sins on his own body, suffered your pains for you, and he’s saying, ‘Please, accept me, believe.’ If you reject that, you belong in hell.”

Appropriate for a course of religion! Certainly not in a public school! (Even in Italy public schools do not teach religion.)

But Mr. Paszkiewicz goes beyond a reasonable teacher telling “sixth-period students … that dinosaurs were aboard Noah’s ark”!

Not only should LaClair’s family sue Mr. Paszkiewicz for breaking the church-state boundary, but Mr. Paszkiewicz should be fired for being an incompetent public school teacher.

Finally, 2smart4u's statement “We know birds and mammals have evolved over the millennium” is ... limited in suggesting that life evolved only over one thousand years!!! Less limiting parameters indicate that life evolved over many hundred millions of years.

That's not such a tough one to answer, actually. The Miller-Urey experiment shows that electricity (in the form of lightning) that strikes atoms known to have been present (read about how known elements formed during cooling after big bang) on the Earth will combine into organic molecules (specifically amino acids) that are what make up DNA.

http://www.juliantrubin.com/bigten/miller_...experiment.html

This process, like many natural phenomena, is complex to the point of seeming miraculous and may lead some to theories of intelligent design, but that would basically be starting a new religion since there is no reference (metaphorical or literal) in Judeo-Christian scripture for the fact that species emerge through a process of mutation and natural selection.

If you want to challenge "materialists" though, you'll do better to question us on the nature and definition of consciousness which so far has not been described in material terms (that is, consciousness as "error-correcting self-awareness" not just eyesight, perception, respiration, etc.) There is so far no evidence to account for a material basis for consciousness, and there are compelling arguments that consciousness may pervade the universe exactly as time and space do. That's not likely to be popular among monotheists either however. Good luck to all, may human belief systems continue to, uhmm, well, evolve to achieve the undisputed ideal of peace on earth.

So.............among other things human embryos have gills at one point and humans have vestigial tail structures because?

It is impossible to explain your existance [sic!]... since the word does not exist. :angry:

Existence, on the other hand, often means “the fact or state of living or having objective reality”, “continued survival”, “a way of living”, etc.

Continued survival is part of life: for existing animals as well as humans. Killing has been a way of living for animals and humans. Actually much killing has been used under the name of God or Jesus. :ph34r:

Objective reality per se does not require explaining Jesus or God.

Are you kidding?

1. Concentrated ball of energy explodes.

2. Sends gas and particles everywhere.

3. They accumulate and form cosmic features.

4. An asteroid gets sucked into the gravitational orbit of a star.

5. The hot core of that asteroid forms convection currents in magma under its crust.

6. The movement of plates of land along these currents forms mountains.

7. The areas blocked from the sun by mountains and features become cold.

8. Differences in temperature and pressure cause chemical reactions and atomic bonding, forming elements.

9. Gravity pulls water into lower places, accumulating it and forming lakes, etc.

10. Through natural processes of mutation and adaptation, molecules that bond begin to react to stimulus,.

11. And God said "Let there be cyanobacteria!"

12. And the microscopic organisms, through process of mutation, EVOLVED, and the mutations were carried throughout generations of all types of organisms.

13. And God said "Let there be Dinosaurs!"

14. And the dinosaurs ate each other.

15. And then He said "Screw this, let there be an asteroid!"

16. And it crashed into what is now the Gulf of Mexico.

17. And there was dust. And it was good.

18. The dust blocked out the sun, causing an "Ice age."

19. The majority of the organisms that survived were the ones which had mutated to become "warm-blooded".

20. And God said "Let there be Primates! Simians! Cro-Magnons, Neanderthals, Homo Erectus...whatever! Go crazy!"

21. And, years later, there was a monkey baby named Adam. And one named Sue. Adam married Sue but had an affair with a Homo Erectus named Eve, who was with a Neanderthal named Jake.

22. Cain and Abel, the missing links, were born.

Actually, lets backtrack, I was having too much fun with it.

20. And God said "Let there be Primates! Simians! Cro-Magnons, Neanderthals, Homo Erectus...whatever! Go crazy!"

21. And eventually, the bloodlines got so f**ked up with new adaptations and mutations, Humans appeared!

Not intelligent enough to want to sit through/ attempt to understand all that?

Here is a special widdle version for you:

1. On the first day, God said: "Let there be light!" And somehow there was light. (Pay no attention to that orb in the sky, it is of no concern to us pitiful mortals.)

2. On the second day, God said: "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." And he called it sky. (Apparently, oxygen, hydrogen, helium, and condensed water formations are figments of the crazy imaginations of those wacked up people who showed us silly "theories" like the alleged "gravity".)

3. On the third day, God created the oceans, the dry land, and vegetation.

Jeez, what a multi-tasker! He should really take a break once in a while.

4. On the fourth day, God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years.

Really? I was under the impression that the Gregorian year was invented some 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 years after this was said to have happened.

And for a King of Kings, he does talk like a 3 year old. Those silly big "lights".

5. And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky."

Wait, it just occurred to me. Who was there taking down notes.

Oh thats right, thats right, God told somebody later. He even remembered he used the word "teem", eh?

He did say animals are lower than humans.

So...why did he create them first?

6. On the sixth day, God created man. "God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female. He created them."

So I guess we look like god, eh? He did command that no object should be made in his image. Looks like somebody screwed up!

This is an actual quote from the NASB (New American Standard Bible).

So why did he say this in such bad syntax?

7. Then god had a nap.

Which would a child believe, which should YOU believe?

Are you kidding?

1. Concentrated ball of energy explodes.

2. Sends gas and particles everywhere.

3. They accumulate and form cosmic features.

4. An asteroid gets sucked into the gravitational orbit of a star.

5. The hot core of that asteroid forms convection currents in magma under its crust.

6. The movement of plates of land along these currents forms mountains.

7. The areas blocked from the sun by mountains and features become cold.

8. Differences in temperature and pressure cause chemical reactions and atomic bonding, forming elements.

9. Gravity pulls water into lower places, accumulating it and forming lakes, etc.

10. Through natural processes of mutation and adaptation, molecules that bond begin to react to stimulus,.

11. And God said "Let there be cyanobacteria!"

12. And the microscopic organisms, through process of mutation, EVOLVED, and the mutations were carried throughout generations of all types of organisms.

13. And God said "Let there be Dinosaurs!"

14. And the dinosaurs ate each other.

15. And then He said "Screw this, let there be an asteroid!"

16. And it crashed into what is now the Gulf of Mexico.

17. And there was dust. And it was good.

18. The dust blocked out the sun, causing an "Ice age."

19. The majority of the organisms that survived were the ones which had mutated to become "warm-blooded".

21. And, years later, there was a monkey baby named Adam. And one named Sue. Adam married Sue but had an affair with a Homo Erectus named Eve, who was with a Neanderthal named Jake.

22. Cain and Abel, the missing links, were born.

Actually, lets backtrack, I was having too much fun with it.

21. And eventually, the bloodlines got so f**ked up with new adaptations and mutations, Humans appeared!

Not intelligent enough to want to sit through/ attempt to understand all that?

Here is a special widdle version for you:

1. On the first day, God said: "Let there be light!" And somehow there was light. (Pay no attention to that orb in the sky, it is of no concern to us pitiful mortals.)

2. On the second day, God said: "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." And he called it sky. (Apparently, oxygen, hydrogen, helium, and condensed water formations are figments of the crazy imaginations of those wacked up people who showed us silly "theories" like the alleged "gravity".)

3. On the third day, God created the oceans, the dry land, and vegetation.

Jeez, what a multi-tasker! He should really take a break once in a while.

4. On the fourth day, God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years.

Really? I was under the impression that the Gregorian year was invented some 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 years after this was said to have happened.

And for a King of Kings, he does talk like a 3 year old. Those silly big "lights".

5. And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky."

Wait, it just occurred to me. Who was there taking down notes.

Oh thats right, thats right, God told somebody later. He even remembered he used the word "teem", eh?

He did say animals are lower than humans.

So...why did he create them first?

6. On the sixth day, God created man. "God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female. He created them."

So I guess we look like god, eh? He did command that no object should be made in his image. Looks like somebody screwed up!

This is an actual quote from the NASB (New American Standard Bible).

So why did he say this in such bad syntax?

7. Then god had a nap.

Which would a child believe, which should YOU believe?

I feel lthat scientists can use their knowledge and enlightenment to help make our existence on earth more pleasant and pleasureable.  It makes me angry that this teacher is not knowledgeable or enlightened.  Telling a young girl that she's going to Hell for being Muslim is apalling.

It is awful indeed (Telling a young girl that she's going to Hell for being Muslim).

It is also awful that some people cannot spell or make typographical errors (lthat + pleasureable + apalling). <_<

As Richard Dawkins put it the theory of the big bang is the lesser of two evils when compared to creationism. Both are hard to believe but to say that its hard to believe that it all started from simple beginnings to complex things (big bang).. but then say its easier to believe that a super complex being, God, existed at the very beginning.. now that is even harder to believe.