Harrison Highlites

Guest Apples

Just read an article in the Star Ledger about the Town of Harrison. It has a population of 14,400 and most of them speak a language other then English. Yet, the Police, Fire and Town workers are English speaking. How can that be? And, how can a Town 1 mile square support a 50 officer PD and 55 Officer FD? Especially, when they have a lot of high paid supervisors. The article said that the average taxpayer pays $5,600 a year. How can that amount support all the workers on the payroll? Can anyone explain this to me?

One of the industries the article stated is Nat Anders Upholstery. Wow, they must pay a lot of taxes.

Guest Apples (the REAL one)
Just read an article in the Star Ledger about the Town of Harrison. It has a population of 14,400 and most of them speak a language other then English. Yet, the Police, Fire and Town workers are English speaking. How can that be? And, how can a Town 1 mile square support a 50 officer PD and 55 Officer FD? Especially, when they have a lot of high paid supervisors. The article said that the average taxpayer pays $5,600 a year. How can that amount support all the workers on the payroll? Can anyone explain this to me?

One of the industries the article stated is Nat Anders Upholstery. Wow, they must pay a lot of taxes.

I, The REAL Apples did not post this. Reads like someone jealous of our uniformed services. Get a life, Bubba.

Because it is a mile square town situated between two of the largest cities in NJ. There used to be more cops and firemen. Yet Harrison is the only town in NJ with more firefighters than police officers. When the redevelopment ends we'll need much more than that, Apples

WHAT 'COUNTRY' ARE 'THESE' POLICE, FIREFIGHTERS & TOWN WORKERS IN , AGAIN? THe USA??? OPPS, did I hear right? I thought maybe, China, where they would speak Chinese. Russia, where they would speak Russian, Peru, where they speak Spanish. Since Spain colonized most of South America & Great Britain conlonized the colonies before 1776, the pre USA langaguage was and continued to be ENGLISH. I doubt that the former 'Spanish' colonies of present day South America are going to add "ENGLISH to their mandated lanuage of Spanish (or Portuguese in Brazil), so why should the USA 'add' another 'mandated' language except English?

I, The REAL Apples did not post  this.  Reads like someone jealous of our uniformed services. Get a life, Bubba.

Is this the former EN resident who now lives in Toms River and ran for Councilman and lost in a 3 person race and got the least amount of votes?

WHAT 'COUNTRY' ARE 'THESE' POLICE, FIREFIGHTERS & TOWN WORKERS IN , AGAIN?  THe USA???  OPPS, did I hear right?  I thought maybe, China, where they would speak Chinese. Russia, where they would speak Russian, Peru, where they speak Spanish.  Since Spain colonized most of South America & Great Britain conlonized the colonies before 1776, the pre USA langaguage was and continued to be ENGLISH.  I doubt that the former 'Spanish' colonies of present day South America are going to add "ENGLISH to their mandated lanuage of Spanish (or Portuguese in Brazil), so why should the USA 'add' another 'mandated' language except English?

Me is a toun werker an i speek purfuct Inglush! B)

Me is a toun werker an i speek purfuct Inglush! :)

You sound like a product of the harrison school system, who probably was 'lucky' to get a "town job' through the assistance of a family member or friend in the political system who felt 'obligated' to help you.

Me is a toun werker an i speek purfuct Inglush! :)

IF YOU ARE AN IMMIGRANT AND ENGLISH IS YOUR 'SECOND' LANGUAGE, I COMMEND YOU FOR YOU HARD WORK AND EFFORT AT TRYING TO LEARN ENGLISH.

HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE NATIVE BORN, QUIT BRAGGING, SINCE YOUR ENGLISH HAS DEFINITELY NOT MADE THE GRADE. B)