We are Marshall

Guest HHS Grad Class of 67

Guest HHS Grad Class of 67

Just something different from the political postings. The title above is that of a new movie opening in December. Perhaps you have seen the trailers advertising it over the course of this weekend's football games.

The movie is about Marshall University in Huntington WV and about how the football team and town responds to one of it's greatest tragedies; the devastating plane crash killing everyone on board which was most of the team, coaches and a lot of family members and supporters returning from a game on Nov 14, 1970.

You may ask what it has to do with Harrison.

On board that plane was one of their running backs, a local; Kevin Gilmore, HHS class of 1967. He was a terrific althlete and a great guy. I was priviledged to be a classmate of his and to see him in action. If I remember correctly, he lettered in three sports. He was one of six victims that could not be identified and is buried in a cemetary in Huntington at a memorial to the victims along with the five others.

I don't know if there any of the Gilmore family left in town, or if they check this board occasionally. But I would like them to know that through the grief and pain that this movie may bring back to them, some people still remember Kevin and admired his spirit.

There was also one other victim, the Marshall quarterback from Lyndhurst, Ted Shoebridge. I've lost connections a long time ago aso I don't know if the high school had provided any memorial or a plaque for Kevin in the past years, but maybe with the new high school, something could be done to honor one of it's better althletes who perished way too soon.

So, if you see the movie and there is a shot of the memorial or a listing of the victims names and you see the name Kevin Francis Gilmore, remember he was one of the great Blue Tide teams of the past and one of our own.

Guest family friend

I'm friends with the Gilmore Family. I grew up hearing the horrible story about Kevin and his team etc. but, it wasn't until i watched the trailer on line that it actually became real instead of a story told by family memebers. I mean no disrepect, but this happened before i was born, so it never really registered.

A lot of the Gilmore family still lives in Harrison & Kearny.

My prayers are with them.

Just something different from the political postings. The title above is that of a new movie opening in December. Perhaps you have seen the trailers advertising it over the course of this weekend's football games.

The movie is about Marshall University in Huntington WV and about how the football team and town responds to one of it's greatest tragedies; the devastating plane crash killing everyone on board which was most of the team, coaches and a lot of family members and supporters returning from a game on Nov 14, 1970.

You may ask what it has to do with Harrison.

On board that plane was one of their running backs, a local; Kevin Gilmore, HHS class of 1967. He was a terrific althlete and a great guy. I was priviledged to be a classmate of his and to see him in action. If I remember correctly, he lettered in three sports. He was one of six victims that could not be identified and is buried in a cemetary in Huntington at a memorial to the victims along with the five others.

I don't know if there any of the Gilmore family left in town, or if they check this board occasionally. But I would like them to know that through the grief and pain that this movie may bring back to them, some people still remember Kevin and admired his spirit.

There was also one other victim, the Marshall quarterback from Lyndhurst, Ted Shoebridge. I've lost connections a long time ago aso I don't know if the high school had provided any memorial or a plaque for Kevin in the past years, but maybe with the new high school, something could be done to honor one of it's better althletes who perished way too soon.

So, if you see the movie and there is a shot of the memorial or a listing of the victims names and you see the name Kevin Francis Gilmore, remember he was one of the great Blue Tide teams of the past and one of our own.

Remember Him well, Yes He was a great Kid with a wonderful personality....and a grfat athlete.

Finally...nice to see this forum used in a positive way!

A long awaited movie. I have been reading about the incident on the internet for a few years. Its great that they are remembering the team and their families. The Gilmore's are a staple in the community. All of them are good people. RIP Kevin, your memory lives on in the movies and our hearts!

That is remarkable. Heard the story, but not that old. But your post definitely makes the story that much more meaningful to watch.

You are correct.....something should be done to honor him.

Send petition around town, it wil be signed.