Damn Soccer

The Young Punk

What the hell is happening? My brother plays soccer and today they brought in some volunteers to help coach. And this guy gave instructions for 20 min. in spanish. My brother doesn't know spanish. He didnt say one damn word in english. What happened to this country, where everything is in damn spanish. Grant it that there were only a few kids who didn't understand spanish, but how are they supposed to feel? Don't you think that they would feel left out. I don't care what any one says about "its a free country" this is America, we speak english. Speak what ever you want at home and to your family, but when you are out in society talking to me or trying to do business speak english. I am thoroughly pissed off at watching these people come in and not respect our country. If you go to Spain, Italy, Russia, or Iran wouldn't you be expected to speak the respective languages wouldn't you? So why do we have to put up with this shit?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell is happening? My brother plays soccer and today they brought in some volunteers to help coach. And this guy gave instructions for 20 min. in spanish. My brother doesn't know spanish. He didnt say one damn word in english. What happened to this country, where everything is in damn spanish. Grant it that there were only a few kids who didn't understand spanish, but how are they supposed to feel? Don't you think that they would feel left out. I don't care what any one says about "its a free country" this is America, we speak english. Speak what ever you want at home and to your family, but when you are out in society talking to me or trying to do business speak english. I am thoroughly pissed off at watching these people come in and not respect our country. If you go to Spain, Italy, Russia, or Iran wouldn't you be expected to speak the respective languages wouldn't you? So why do we have to put up with this shit?

One of the problems here is that English has never been declared the official language. We must insist from all of our elected officials that English be declared the official language and that no other language is represented in any documents or public signs.

My 8 year old son is on the team whare this happened. It is not that big a deal. The Young Punk is also my son. Perhaps what bothered me about this was everyone thought it was normal. The coach told me if my son had a problem understanding she would translate for him. I understand. We are in America and speak English but we have the problem. I should also add the non English speaking coach ran the entire practice. It was only after listening for 20 min. I asked if it would be at all possible for some of the instructions to be in English. The few children who are "handicaped" by speaking English only have to wait to see what the others do and then catch up. It has to make them feel excluded. As thou they were deaf or invisable.

Other parents I have shared this with have said they have seen this before and have felt the same way. Thay have not done anything about it. My wife has contacted the Kearny Director of Recreation and explained this to him and he said the coach could of handeled it better and would speak to her. I guess we will find out if he thinks this is proper.

As I sometimes helpout with Pee Wee football I needed to stop by the police station for fingerprinting and background check prior to being allowed on the field with the kids. I hope this is true with soccer as well. I would have introduced myself and asked but I would not of understood his answear.

Joe

:rolleyes: I agree with you so much it hurts! What the hell happened to us as a community that we don't speak up anymore? I say we tell them where they are and they need to speak our language! Speak your language on your own time, in your own house!!! We do not want to hear it anymore!!! :lol: My American english speaking family is sick of it!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: Oh say can you see, by the dawns early light

what so proudly we hail'd at the twilights last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars

through the perilous fight

O'er the ramparts we watch'd were so gallantly streaming?

The rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air

Gave proof through the night, that our flag wa still there

Oh say does that star bangled banner yet wave

over the land of the free and home of the brave?

The team needed 20 minutes of instruction just to kick a ball and you're complaining about the Spanish guy. What a bunch of idiots!

The team needed 20 minutes of instruction just to kick a ball and you're complaining about the Spanish guy.  What a bunch of idiots!

What are you some kool-aid drinking commie-lovin idiot? This country was founded an English speaking country. The president swears into office in English, not spanish. My family fought for this country and died for this country. They died for an English speaking country not a spanish one.

The team needed 20 minutes of instruction just to kick a ball and you're complaining about the Spanish guy.  What a bunch of idiots!

I guess posts were deleted so I will repeat. No one complained about him being Spanish only that the language he was using was not inclusive to all the children. If the town of Kearny is going to administer the league I am sure certain rules must be followed.

I guess posts were deleted so I will repeat.  No one complained about him being Spanish only that the language he was using was not inclusive to all the children.  If the town of Kearny is going to administer the league I am sure certain rules must be followed.

I don't know if your post was deleted but the original post stated that the guy was brought in to "help the coach". Get it, he's trying to help! Maybe he could only do it speaking in Spanish. I'm sure he could get his point across if they gave him a chance. We're only talking about soccer here.

When was the last time you tried to help?

What are you some kool-aid drinking commie-lovin idiot? This country was founded an English speaking country. The president swears into office in English, not spanish. My family fought for this country and died for this country. They died for an English speaking country not a spanish one.

You're screen name really tells so much about you. I'll say the same thing to you that I wrote to the other racist. The person was brought in to "help" the coach. He was probably doing the best he could. It can take some people many years to become even proficient in another language.

You better go back and get a history lesson. The first languages spoken here did not include English. Do you think the Vikings, Columbus, and all of the other Spanish and Portuguese explorers were rattling off in English to the Indians and natives that were already here? Do you think that the French soldiers, who basically saved the Continental Army's ass during the Revolution, were all speaking perfect English.

The majority of the founders may have been speaking English, but they understood the importance of being inclusive. They had to because from the beginning people were coming from many other countries to settle here.

Get a clue you frickin' racist. Next time step up and offer to help out.

Guest Web Browser
I guess posts were deleted so I will repeat.  No one complained about him being Spanish only that the language he was using was not inclusive to all the children.  If the town of Kearny is going to administer the league I am sure certain rules must be followed.

Webmaster, Why are there so many post lost? Not just on this topic but many others?

Webmaster, Why are there so many post lost? Not just on this topic but many others?

There were no post deleted (archived) on this topic. I'm not sure what "sparky" was referring to when he said posts were deleted. I rarely delete (archive) posts unless the majority of the post is inappropriate or unverifiable. I prefer to edit objectionable content before deleting. Those who have been long term members or guests will agree with the above statement. I may not agree with a post but my job is to facilitate conversations on topics affecting our community. I try to allow as many posts as possible.

KOTW

P.S. Thank you to all who made purchases last month through the Support KOTW links. Please continue to support us by patronizing our advertisers. The future of this site depends on your patronage.

There were no post deleted (archived) on this topic.  I'm not sure what "sparky" was referring to when he said posts were deleted.  I rarely delete (archive) posts unless the majority of the post is inappropriate or unverifiable.  I prefer to edit objectionable content before deleting.  Those who have been long term members or guests will agree with the above statement.  I may not agree with a post but my job is to facilitate conversations on topics affecting our community.  I try to allow as many posts as possible.

KOTW

P.S. Thank you to all who made purchases last month through the Support KOTW links.  Please continue to support us by patronizing our advertisers.  The future of this site depends on your patronage.

There were definitely posts on this topic alone that were deleted or lost !!!!

There were no post deleted (archived) on this topic.  I'm not sure what "sparky" was referring to when he said posts were deleted.  I rarely delete (archive) posts unless the majority of the post is inappropriate or unverifiable.  I prefer to edit objectionable content before deleting.  Those who have been long term members or guests will agree with the above statement.  I may not agree with a post but my job is to facilitate conversations on topics affecting our community.  I try to allow as many posts as possible.

KOTW

P.S. Thank you to all who made purchases last month through the Support KOTW links.  Please continue to support us by patronizing our advertisers.  The future of this site depends on your patronage.

I forget which night it was but there were 10 posts to this thread and the next morning there were 5. Yer there were posts deleted on this topic.

I am sure there are people that can teach soccer at this level that speak English as well.

when the United States became a country in 1776, the language was English. The soldiers that gave us our nation communicated in English. France helped a lot. We spoke English.

You're screen name really tells so much about you.  I'll say the same thing to you that I wrote to the other racist.  The person was brought in to "help" the coach.  He was probably doing the best he could.  It can take some people many years to become even proficient in another language. 

You better go back and get a history lesson.  The first languages spoken here did not include English.  Do you think the Vikings, Columbus, and all of the other Spanish and Portuguese explorers were rattling off in English to the Indians and natives that were already here? Do you think that the French soldiers, who basically saved the Continental Army's ass during the Revolution, were all speaking perfect English.

The majority of the founders may have been speaking English, but they understood the importance of being inclusive.  They had to because from the beginning people were coming from many other countries to settle here.

Get a clue you frickin' racist.  Next time step up and offer to help out.

Guest Web Watcher

KOTW

Sorry Mr. Webmaster, but there have definetly been posts deleted, lost or whatever, on this topic and others. No doubt about it.

It's funny that those who can't back up their statements or arguments resort to the only thing they can do- and that's to use the racist card. Well, it doesn't work anymore. A coach, whether helping out or being the coach, should address a practice in English. It's common sense.

quote=Guest,Oct 4 2006, 05:58 AM]

You're screen name really tells so much about you. I'll say the same thing to you that I wrote to the other racist. The person was brought in to "help" the coach. He was probably doing the best he could. It can take some people many years to become even proficient in another language.

You better go back and get a history lesson. The first languages spoken here did not include English. Do you think the Vikings, Columbus, and all of the other Spanish and Portuguese explorers were rattling off in English to the Indians and natives that were already here? Do you think that the French soldiers, who basically saved the Continental Army's ass during the Revolution, were all speaking perfect English.

The majority of the founders may have been speaking English, but they understood the importance of being inclusive. They had to because from the beginning people were coming from many other countries to settle here.

Get a clue you frickin' racist. Next time step up and offer to help out.

I forget which night it was but there were 10 posts to this thread and the next morning there were 5.  Yer there were posts deleted on this topic. 

I am sure there are people that can teach soccer at this level that speak English as well.

The message board did go down this week on Monday morning. The message board was then restored from a back up. It is possible that posts were deleted because of the restoration (from a backup). KOTW did not delete these posts on purpose. This week was the first time the board has gone down since its inception.

KOTW

I don't know if your post was deleted but the original post stated that the guy was brought in to "help the coach".  Get it, he's trying to help! Maybe he could only do it speaking in Spanish.  I'm sure he could get his point across if they gave him a chance.  We're only talking about soccer here. 

When was the last time you tried to help?

I suppose if the person was helping the coach I may not have even noticed. This person instructed the full practice. He was instructing those who could understand him.

I have coached T-ball and I help out at the pee wee football games sometimes. It wouldn't make sense to coach a sport you don't know or are unable to communicate the fine points of.

when the United States became a country in 1776, the language was English. The soldiers that gave us our nation communicated in English. France helped a lot. We spoke English.

No kidding, France "helped alot". Try France saved the Continental Army's asses. Yeah, a bunch of non-English speaking foreigners. I guess if they could save Washignton's Army, a Spanish speaking guy could help out teaching soccer.

The majority spoke English.....there were also French, Dutch, German, Spanish, and others. Not that much different than the current situation.

I suppose if the person was helping the coach I may not have even noticed.  This person instructed the full practice.  He was instructing those who could understand him.

I have coached T-ball and I help out at the pee wee football games sometimes.  It wouldn't make sense to coach a sport you don't know or are unable to communicate the fine points of.

The guy isn't a full time coach get it.

Maybe they should have cancelled practice and sent the kids home.