Kearny Rec.

Guest Concerned Mom

Guest Concerned Mom

Are there any other moms or dads out there that are concerned about the way their children are being handled at "camp"? Does anyone else have complaints that their children are bored or not being watched? I have complained and nothing is being done. Things are still the same. :blink:

Guest Concerned

Concerned Mom,Jul 19 2006, 06:50 PM]

Are there any other moms or dads out there that are concerned about the way their children are being handled at "camp"? Does anyone else have complaints that their children are bored or not being watched? I have complained and nothing is being done. Things are still the same. :lol:

:lol: My grandsons (ages 8 & 6 ) go to the summer program at the local playground

by their home Dowd Playground, they never come home bored or in trouble. If my daughter wants to know certain things, she sends a note with them in the morning and gets a response when they come home for lunch. They bring home crafts that they have made and talk about the games that they were playing. They also have to get permission slips signed to go to West Hudson Park to the sprinkler, so if I were you I would get in touch with Phil Martone at thr Recreation Department A.S.A.P.

Guest Guest
Are there any other moms or dads out there that are concerned about the way their children are being handled at "camp"?  Does anyone else have complaints that their children are bored or not being watched?  I have complained and nothing is being done.  Things are still the same. :lol:

My son went for the first time and enjoyed it. I was there on the last day and was 2 coaches working with my sons group. He wanted to go back for the 2nd week, but I decided not to with the heat.

Guest Guest

Concerned Mom,Jul 19 2006, 06:50 PM]

Are there any other moms or dads out there that are concerned about the way their children are being handled at "camp"? Does anyone else have complaints that their children are bored or not being watched? I have complained and nothing is being done. Things are still the same. :unsure:

;) My grandsons (ages 8 & 6 ) go to the summer program at the local playground

by their home Dowd Playground, they never come home bored or in trouble. If my daughter wants to know certain things, she sends a note with them in the morning and gets a response when they come home for lunch. They bring home crafts that they have made and talk about the games that they were playing. They also have to get permission slips signed to go to West Hudson Park to the sprinkler, so if I were you I would get in touch with Phil Martone at thr Recreation Department A.S.A.P.

My child comes home with nothing. Like I said, I did call and nothing happened. I just wanted to know to see if maybe someone else is having a problem they can call too. Then maybe something will get done. They were supposed to have a BBQ and instead had nasty pizza. They cancelled it for no reason. They had one arts and crafts session in 4 weeks. They sat against the wall in the gym while the teens that help there played basketball. All of the kids were so bored and looked unhappy. My child wants to go only because of his friends. There are days when he rather come to work with me.

Guest Guest

:unsure: My grandsons (ages 8 & 6 ) go to the summer program at the local playground

My child comes home with nothing. Like I said, I did call and nothing happened. I just wanted to know to see if maybe someone else is having a problem they can call too. Then maybe something will get done. They were supposed to have a BBQ and instead had nasty pizza. They cancelled it for no reason. They had one arts and crafts session in 4 weeks. They sat against the wall in the gym while the teens that help there played basketball. All of the kids were so bored and looked unhappy. My child wants to go only because of his friends. There are days when he rather come to work with me.

Sorry, I responded to your email because I thought you were referrig to the Baseball camp in the Oval. If it's something to do with the Rec. dept camp, call Ralph Cattafi, Phil Martone. If unsuccessful, email them both at the the town website.

good luck

Guest Guest

Sorry, I responded to your email because I thought you were referrig to the Baseball camp in the Oval. If it's something to do with the Rec. dept camp, call Ralph Cattafi, Phil Martone. If unsuccessful, email them both at the the town website.

good luck

:) Thank you for the information. I will try again. I do not want to get any of the teens in trouble or fired, I just want their boss to talk to the about responsibility and the dangers of not watching the children properly and to take more of an interest in them. If they do not like the job, maybe they can work some where that is more suitable for them.

Concerned Mom.

Guest Guest

My son attends camp and comes home every day wanting to go back the following day. He always talks about the fun activities they due such as swimming, going to the sprinklers, bowling, playing soccer tournaments and the water park. I think this camp is really good for the money. My son enjoyed the pizza, how might you know it was nasty? I heard they were concerned about the weather, since there was rain in the forecast. I was pleased with the decision, i wouldn't want my son to be in an unsafe weather predicament. We are all adults, before we go harping on these counselors who are just trying to make some spending money at college. This program is such a conveniance it allows both me and my wife to work.

Guest Guest
My son attends camp and comes home every day wanting to go back the following day.  He always talks about the fun activities they due such as swimming, going to the sprinklers, bowling, playing soccer tournaments and the water park.  I think this camp is really good for the money.  My son enjoyed the pizza, how might you know it was nasty? I heard they were concerned about the weather, since there was rain in the forecast.  I was pleased with the decision, i wouldn't want my son to be in an unsafe weather predicament. We are all adults, before we go harping on these counselors who are just trying to make some spending money at college.  This program is such a conveniance it allows both me and my wife to work.

;) Did you not read my last post? I don't want anyone in TROUBLE or FIRED!!! You do not see when the kids get dropped off and all parents leave. They are not being watched properly. Go and pick your child up at any given time. Wait, first how old is your son? If he is in the younger group, then pick him up early, twice I picked up my child early, and all the children were sitting against the wall while the "counselors" were playing basketball and not interacting with the children at all. I dont just make up rumors. I have seen it with my own eyes. I am not the only parent who is concerned. You had to hear how some of the other parents felt after picking up their children. So, before you think anyone is "harping" on the poor "councelors" ask around and go see for yourself. I think they should be trained or have more training for this job.

Concerned Mom

It did not rain that day they had pizza, it was cloudy, no thunder-no lightning.

Guest Guest
;)  Did you not read my last post?  I don't want anyone in TROUBLE or FIRED!!!  You do not see when the kids get dropped off and all parents leave.  They are not being watched properly.  Go and pick your child up at any given time. Wait, first how old is your son?  If he is in the younger group, then pick him up early, twice I picked up my child early, and all the children were sitting against the wall while the "counselors" were playing basketball and not interacting with the children at all. I dont just make up rumors.  I have seen it with my own eyes.  I am not the only parent who is concerned.  You had to hear how some of the other parents felt after picking up their children.  So, before you think anyone is "harping" on the poor "councelors" ask around and go see for yourself.  I think they should be trained or have more training for this job.

Concerned Mom

It did not rain that day they had pizza, it was cloudy, no thunder-no lightning.

Its beside the point...this is a camp. The kids are paid like 7 bucks an hour and we only pay 50 dollars a week. If you want your child to be watched and played with 24/7 then send him/her to a daycare where you pay 50+ dollars a day. Just be happy that this opportunity is there. If you dont like it then dont send your kid to the camp it is as easy as that, but you probably do because you cant afford anything better. Stop the complaining already.

Guest Guest
Its beside the point...this is a camp.  The kids are paid like 7 bucks an hour and we only pay 50 dollars a week.  If you want your child to be watched and played with 24/7 then send him/her to a daycare where you pay 50+ dollars a day.  Just be happy that this opportunity is there.  If you dont like it then dont send your kid to the camp it is as easy as that, but you probably do because you cant afford anything better.  Stop the complaining already.

My kids don't go to the camp, but for $7.00/hour, I think the kids (counselors) can do the jobs they're paid for. If you're happy paying $50/week for your child to be unsupervised, why pay anything, just drop your kid off at the playground and pick him up when you're ready. Seriously, the rec dept. determined $50/week for camp, you should get what you were offered regardless of the cost.

Guest Guest
Its beside the point...this is a camp.  The kids are paid like 7 bucks an hour and we only pay 50 dollars a week.  If you want your child to be watched and played with 24/7 then send him/her to a daycare where you pay 50+ dollars a day.  Just be happy that this opportunity is there.  If you dont like it then dont send your kid to the camp it is as easy as that, but you probably do because you cant afford anything better.  Stop the complaining already.

:blink: How dare you say what I can afford and what I can not? You do not know me. Have I ever syooped as low as you to judge you? NO! Grow up. If you can not be mature and have an adult conversation then go away. I wanted some advice, not to be put down by the likes fo you. I will not justify my life to an ignorant person. Please grow up.

Guest Guest

Why would you say that. I didn't hear her put anyone down, why would you?

Guest Guest

Who are you to judge what someone can afford? Maybe they need that camp, maybe they have more than 1 child, maybe they have some money problems. I read all the post and concerned mom did not put anyone down. Why would you? My kids don't go there, but if they were younger I would send them and yes I would want my child supervised reguardless if I am paying $50.00 or $500.00. Did you ever think that maybe she is a single parent with no support? life happens. You are nothing but an ignorant snob.

Guest Guest

What happened? You have nothing more to say? No more put downs? I agree with concerned mom, they should do their jobs. You are just mean to bring up somebody's income.

Guest Parent Too
:lol:  How dare you say what I can afford and what I can not?  You do not know me.  Have I ever syooped as low as you to judge you?  NO!  Grow up.  If you can not be mature and have an adult conversation then go away.  I wanted some advice, not to be put down by the likes fo you.  I will not justify my life to an ignorant person.  Please grow up.

Let us all apologize for an ignorant few! "Concerned Mom" please ignore people like that. I'm never surprised by the comments on this site. You being in a serious concern, and get sarcasm. I would not worry at all is someone got fired due to you calling and voicing a complaint. If someone is getting paid to do a job, they'd better do it, bottom line! And if it came to taking care of my child, they'd better do it well. Forget calling and trying to be nice, GO TO THE REC. DEPT MAKE YOUR COMPLAINT, THEY NEVER ANSWER THE PHONE ANYWAY. If one of them lose their job maybe the rest will shape up. If these people can't handle the job, go to Burger King. These are children we're talking about, how stupid can you people be!

"Concerned Mom" please follow through and GO TO THE REC DEPT. Their as responsible as the person watching your child, remind them of that. Good Luck

Guest Guest
Let us all apologize for an ignorant few! "Concerned Mom" please ignore people like that. I'm never surprised by the comments on this site. You being in a serious concern, and get sarcasm. I would not worry at all is someone got fired due to you calling and voicing a complaint. If someone is getting paid to do a job, they'd better do it, bottom line! And if it came to taking care of my child, they'd better do it well. Forget calling and trying to be nice, GO TO THE REC. DEPT MAKE YOUR COMPLAINT, THEY NEVER ANSWER THE PHONE ANYWAY. If one of them lose their job maybe the rest will shape up. If these people can't handle the job, go to Burger King. These are children we're talking about, how stupid can you people be!

"Concerned Mom" please follow through and GO TO THE REC DEPT. Their as responsible as the person watching your child, remind them of that. Good Luck

I do not know who you are, BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH. I thought that maybe I was being petty, but when it comes to my children I only want the best as do all loving parents. You should not have to apologize for one bad apple, I know there are good people in this town, his comments just show how materialistic he and his family are. Thank you once again, and I will go up to the Rec. Dept. Monday. God Bless.

Concerned Mom

Guest Guest

:lol: You are sad. You probably can not afford any better, you send your kid there right? Parents like you are dangerous.

Guest Townsman

:lol: This is the stuff we're always hearing in Kearny!! "If you don't like it don't do it", "do it yourself", forget the fact that someone is being paid with taxpayers money, whether it's .01 or $500.00 an hour, they're still being paid to do a job!!! I'll tell you what, go to your job and just do nothing and see if you come home with a paycheck or a pink slip, but you sound like the typical person that doesn't give a $hit anyway, so keep up your good work!!!!

As for you "mom", voice your concern to the Rec dept., I hear you and believe you for I see alot of stuff and just shake my head in disbelief!!!

Guest Guest

How dare you say go to burger king, not every teen from kearny is a hoodlum that wears fitted yankee caps and shorts down to their ankles, some are home from college and just need some spending money to use while they are getting educated

Guest Guest

You get what you pay for, just be pleased they are being watched and not being unattended. Atleast they were sitting up against the wall where people knew where they were rather than having the children wander off. Think about it, with what you pay a week I am sure that the town cannot afford to better train the counselors, this is something that should have been considered before signing up your child for this camp. Although I agree it was ignorant of one person to say what people can afford and what they cannot afford, it is arragant of "concerned mom" to even be voicing her negative opinion of the program on the internet where she wont even put a name with her post. I have picked my 7 year old child up early several times and found them just finishing up activities or playing in smaller groups. It is horrorific that "concerned mom" even started this discussion in the first place. You can't even get a babysitter for $50 a day let alone an entire week of camp where the children are brought to an amusement park and medevil times for no additional fee. It is uncomprehendable that one would have the audacity to complain about this amazing bargain, if you are so appalled take your kid out of the program.

Guest Guest
How dare you say go to burger king, not every teen from kearny is a hoodlum that wears fitted yankee caps and shorts down to their ankles, some are home from college and just need some spending money to use while they are getting educated

Are you for real? So what you are basically saying is that they are getting a small paycheck then they should do a small job? Go away.

Guest Guest
You get what you pay for, just be pleased they are being watched and not being unattended. Atleast they were sitting up against the wall where people knew where they were rather than having the children wander off. Think about it, with what you pay a week I am sure that the town cannot afford to better train the counselors, this is something that should have been considered before signing up your child for this camp. Although I agree it was ignorant of one person to say what people can afford and what they cannot afford, it is arragant of "concerned mom" to even be voicing her negative opinion of the program on the internet where she wont even put a name with her post. I have picked my 7 year old child up early several times and found them just finishing up activities or playing in smaller groups. It is horrorific that "concerned mom" even started this discussion in the first place. You can't even get a babysitter for $50 a day let alone an entire week of camp where the children are brought to an amusement park and medevil times for no additional fee. It is uncomprehendable that one would have the audacity to complain about this amazing bargain, if you are so appalled take your kid out of the program.

I have never said anything negative about the "camp", I did not put the "counselors" down, what I am saying is that they should do their job. You really think that it is better to have your child put up against the wall? Are you insane? You wouldn't want your child to get the most out of their summer? Yes you can get a babysitter for less than $50 a day, but I thought this would be good because my child is familiar with the school and children in his class. If you want to be a "counselor" then you should have training with children. I voiced my concern on this site because I know that there are some concerns about this program and I thought maybe I could get some positive feedback. I do not put my name on this because I do not want anyone getting back at my child or family. And you know for a fact that will happen. Another point, the "camp" has many groups, maybe your children are in one of the better ones. If you knew me you would not think I was arragant and why is it horrific for me to want some advice? Isn't it better to ask for help than to let the situation escalate? You call it an amazing bargain, I think it is a great project, but not amazing. I never thought that me asking for some good sound advice from anyone from this great town would turn out like this. I can't beleive that there are some parents out there who really do not care if their child is having a good summer or not.

I really want to thank all the parents who gave me good advice and are sincere, it means alot to me, from my heart. God Bless.

Concerned Mom

P.S. I hope I answered all of your questions and opions about me. I did not mean for you to wet your pants. God Bless.

Guest Guest

I definitally agree, it was childish of concerned mom to voice that opinion. I am happy that i have this opportunity to send my child to.

Guest Guest
:lol: This is the stuff we're always hearing in Kearny!! "If you don't like it don't do it", "do it yourself", forget the fact that someone is being paid with taxpayers money, whether it's .01 or $500.00 an hour, they're still being paid to do a job!!!  I'll tell you what, go to your job and just do nothing and see if you come home with a paycheck or a pink slip, but you sound like the typical person that doesn't give a $hit anyway, so keep up your good work!!!!

As for you "mom", voice your concern to the Rec dept., I hear you and believe you for I see alot of stuff and just shake my head in disbelief!!!

:lol: Thank you so much for sticking up for me. You don't know, you have a good heart. Like I said I will go Monday. It fees good to know that there are more people who see what is going on. Thanks again.

Concerned Mom

Guest Guest

:lol: Are you one of the counselors? You sound like one, getting all defensive.