OBSERVING THE OBSERVER

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Somebody please explain the connection between BOE member Paul Castelli and our esteemed town newspaper the Observer??!!! This guy wasn’t on the board much more than 10 minutes when his first “QUOTES” appeared in the paper and it hasn’t let up since. Is he a partner? A relative? What’s the deal??

In the past it seems he had a special link to Lisa Martone because every article concerning his latest complaint was written by her. But now it seems that new editor Kevin Canessa is willing to provide plenty of space for this guy and his soapbox, and I’m curious why.

He and his partner Campbell, both elected officials, seem to have unlimited access to a newspaper that has supplied a one-sided account of topics that they (Castelli & Campbell) have decided are not to their political taste. Why?

Freedom of the press? Looks like a little too much freedom for some. The Observer should stop being a mouthpiece for “privileged” elected officials. And elected officials should shut up and do what they were elected to do. Represent the best interests of the students in Kearny and not just the best interests of themselves.

Guest James C.
Somebody please explain the connection between BOE member Paul Castelli and our esteemed town newspaper the Observer??!!!  This guy wasn’t on the board much more than 10 minutes when his first “QUOTES” appeared in the paper and it hasn’t let up since.  Is he a partner?  A relative?  What’s the deal??

In the past it seems he had a special link to Lisa Martone because every article concerning his latest complaint was written by her.  But now it seems that new editor Kevin Canessa is willing to provide plenty of space for this guy and his soapbox, and I’m curious why. 

He and his partner Campbell, both elected officials, seem to have unlimited access to a newspaper that has supplied a one-sided account of topics that they (Castelli & Campbell) have decided are not to their political taste.  Why? 

Freedom of the press?  Looks like a little too much freedom for some.  The Observer should stop being a mouthpiece for “privileged” elected officials.  And elected officials should shut up and do what they were elected to do.  Represent the best interests of the students in Kearny and not just the best interests of themselves.

Freedom of the press? Yeah, for some. The Observer doesn't even believe in free speech. I was let go from that paper as a freelance reporter because I posted anonymously on some forums like NJ.coms Kearny site. They said as a representative of The Observer I could not go on there and discuss political issues. One of their main beefs was that I am vehemently anti-illegal Immigration, and of course their income is now from predominantly Hispanic business advertisers. Well they did not pay me enough to squelch my right to free expression so we parted ways. I have now started an online news site called "Kearny Alternative News" at www.kearnynews.blogspot.com . I think anyone from Kearny will find the stories interesting and thought provoking, so check it out if you are tired of the fluff of the Observer. Oh, and by the way, it now seems the new editor trolls the web sites himself, as can be seen in the July 12 issue on page 5 in the story on rainy weather delaying the fireworks. He states "residents took to cyberspace to vent their anger, including one person indentified as "Enraged". That post happened to appear here on Kearnyontheweb. I had suggested this idea months before Kevin even came to The Observer but it never went anywhere.

Sincerely,

James C.

Guest Guest
Somebody please explain the connection between BOE member Paul Castelli and our esteemed town newspaper the Observer??!!!  This guy wasn’t on the board much more than 10 minutes when his first “QUOTES” appeared in the paper and it hasn’t let up since.  Is he a partner?  A relative?  What’s the deal??

In the past it seems he had a special link to Lisa Martone because every article concerning his latest complaint was written by her.  But now it seems that new editor Kevin Canessa is willing to provide plenty of space for this guy and his soapbox, and I’m curious why. 

He and his partner Campbell, both elected officials, seem to have unlimited access to a newspaper that has supplied a one-sided account of topics that they (Castelli & Campbell) have decided are not to their political taste.  Why? 

Freedom of the press?  Looks like a little too much freedom for some.  The Observer should stop being a mouthpiece for “privileged” elected officials.  And elected officials should shut up and do what they were elected to do.  Represent the best interests of the students in Kearny and not just the best interests of themselves.

The Observer has changed so much it's sad.

Guest Guest

You could always ask Lisa Tortorretti Pezolla about it, but then again, do you think the good ole' blond bombshell actually reads her own newspaper? And if she could read it, {reading it requires literacy} do you think she'd be able to comprehend it?

Guest Guest
You could always ask Lisa Tortorretti Pezolla about it, but then again, do you think the good ole' blond bombshell actually reads her own newspaper? And if she could read it, {reading it requires literacy} do you think she'd be able to comprehend it?

How lomg has she been running things?

Guest Guest

OOh, Nasty!

Guest KearnyKard

Don't you people have anything better to do. If you don't like the Observer, DON'T READ IT !! I like the Observer, it's informative, local, and FREE.

If you want to complain about a newspaper, complain about the NY Times.

Guest guest
Don't you people have anything better to do.  If you don't like the Observer, DON'T READ IT !!  I like the Observer, it's informative, local, and FREE.

If you want to complain about a newspaper, complain about the NY Times.

Before the Observer, I never realized people in town were allowed to have their own opinions.

Guest former hudson press employee

The former prosecutor in kearny used the hudson press anytime he wanted to further his career as councilman then mayor and nobody knows what happened to the Hudson press after that. If your going to say that Campbell and Castelli have access to the Observer and telling the truth about what is going on in town and the Observer only prints the truth what is the problem? The hudson press only printed what Alberto Santos said was supposedly the truth and therefore that's why today the U.S. has freedom of speech and the press. Santos because of his unpopular decisions on property taxes should bring back the defunked hudson press so that he can express the propaganda that he tells the hard working tax payers of kearny why taxes are so high and why he has to raise taxes so often since he became mayor. So if Campbell and Castelli are using the freedom of press to educate us taxpayers on where our money is going to i don't see what the big deal is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Guest
The former prosecutor in kearny used the hudson press anytime he wanted to further his career as councilman then mayor and nobody knows what happened to the Hudson press after that.  If your going to say that Campbell and Castelli have access to the Observer and telling the truth about what is going on in town and the Observer only prints the truth what is the problem?  The hudson press only printed what Alberto Santos said was supposedly the truth and therefore that's why today the U.S. has freedom of speech and the press.  Santos because of his unpopular decisions on property taxes should bring back the defunked hudson press so that he can express the propaganda that he tells the hard working tax payers of kearny why taxes are so high and why he has to raise taxes so often since he became mayor.  So if Campbell and Castelli are using the freedom of press to educate us taxpayers on where our money is going to i don't see what the big deal is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

difference is that santos lied in the Hudson Press. the observer prints the truth about taxes and now santos doesn't have his own newspaper spinning for him.

Guest Guest
The former prosecutor in kearny used the hudson press anytime he wanted to further his career as councilman then mayor and nobody knows what happened to the Hudson press after that.  If your going to say that Campbell and Castelli have access to the Observer and telling the truth about what is going on in town and the Observer only prints the truth what is the problem?  The hudson press only printed what Alberto Santos said was supposedly the truth and therefore that's why today the U.S. has freedom of speech and the press.  Santos because of his unpopular decisions on property taxes should bring back the defunked hudson press so that he can express the propaganda that he tells the hard working tax payers of kearny why taxes are so high and why he has to raise taxes so often since he became mayor.  So if Campbell and Castelli are using the freedom of press to educate us taxpayers on where our money is going to i don't see what the big deal is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because another newspaper did something similar makes it o.k.? And how is anyone to know whether what is printed is truth if all that’s ever seen is one-sided. You certainly sound skeptical about what was put forth by Santos years ago in the Hudson Press. What’s the guarantee that The Observer is now the arbiter of truth regarding the boe? Maybe what bothers me is that this seems to be a relatively new practice by the Observer, which seems to have begun about the same time as Castelli’s term of office. To me, that indicates some kind of a relationship somewhere between Castelli/Campbell and the Observer, or that the Observer suddenly has a political agenda. And that’s not my definition of “freedom of the press”.

Guest Guest
Because another newspaper did something similar makes it o.k.?  And how is anyone to know whether what is printed is truth if all that’s ever seen is one-sided.  You certainly sound skeptical about what was put forth by Santos years ago in the Hudson Press.  What’s the guarantee that The Observer is now the arbiter of truth regarding the boe?  Maybe what bothers me is that this seems to be a relatively new practice by the Observer, which seems to have begun about the same time as Castelli’s term of office.  To me, that indicates some kind of a relationship somewhere between Castelli/Campbell and the Observer, or that the Observer suddenly has a political agenda.  And that’s not my definition of “freedom of the press”.

The Observer has been around for about a hundred years. The Hudson Press was a short term propaganda tool of our tax crazy mayor. Where is the Hudson Press today? Gone the way of the Kearny Chatter. If you don't believe what is written in the Observer check it out and let us all know what is wrong.

Guest Guest

the big deal is that they are giving false information and a one sided argument. they are not educating the taxpayers they are using the paper to try to satify their own agenda which is has nothing to do with the kids.

Guest Guest

The observer has been irresponsible in some of these cases as well by not trying to verify the information, or by getting the other side of these stories. the fact that they use the observer and even get their picture in there is no more than to get known in town. they care not about the kids, but about themselves.

Guest Guest
The observer has been irresponsible in some of these cases as well by not trying to verify the information, or by getting the other side of these stories.  the fact that they use the observer and even get their picture in there is no more than to get known in town.  they care not about the kids, but about themselves.

Seem as though the Mayor and his county crew of course with help of his council bunch are busy working on character assassination. Must be worried about the erosion in the 3rd ward we are looking forward to the election. I don't like the Observer but, it can't be as corrupt as Town Hall

Guest Guest
the big deal is that they are giving false information and a one sided argument.  they are not educating the taxpayers they are using the paper to try to satify their own agenda which is has nothing to do with the kids.

Thank you, at least someone else gets what I'm trying to say. And my argument against the Observer isn't to question their right to print whatever stories they want. It's the obvious extension of privilege to some elected officials to use the newspaper as their mouthpiece without the benefit of a rebuttal from anyone with a differing point of view (or, in most cases, the truth!) In my opinion, it's an obvious abuse of their journalistic (and I use the word loosely) freedom. If the editor at the Observer didn't think anyone would notice he (and Lisa M and Lisa P) were wrong.

Guest Guest
Thank you, at least someone else gets what I'm trying to say.  And my argument against the Observer isn't to question their right to print whatever stories they want.  It's the obvious extension of privilege to some elected officials to use the newspaper as their mouthpiece without the benefit of a rebuttal from anyone with a differing point of view (or, in most cases, the truth!)  In my opinion, it's an obvious abuse of their journalistic (and I use the word loosely) freedom.  If the editor at the Observer didn't think anyone would notice  he (and Lisa M and Lisa P) were wrong.

maybe castelli's the only one with something to say. no one on the council ever speaks at meetings. why would they speak to the observer? its not one sided if the other side refuses to talk.

Guest Guest
maybe castelli's the only one with something to say. no one on the council ever speaks at meetings. why would they speak to the observer? its not one sided if the other side refuses to talk.

Duh, Castelli's not on the council, he's on the BOE.

Guest Guest
Thank you, at least someone else gets what I'm trying to say.  And my argument against the Observer isn't to question their right to print whatever stories they want.  It's the obvious extension of privilege to some elected officials to use the newspaper as their mouthpiece without the benefit of a rebuttal from anyone with a differing point of view (or, in most cases, the truth!)  In my opinion, it's an obvious abuse of their journalistic (and I use the word loosely) freedom.  If the editor at the Observer didn't think anyone would notice  he (and Lisa M and Lisa P) were wrong.

RIGHT ON!

Guest GUEST
the big deal is that they are giving false information and a one sided argument.  they are not educating the taxpayers they are using the paper to try to satify their own agenda which is has nothing to do with the kids.

EXACTLY! KEEP GOING!

Guest Patriot
The observer has been irresponsible in some of these cases as well by not trying to verify the information, or by getting the other side of these stories.  the fact that they use the observer and even get their picture in there is no more than to get known in town.  they care not about the kids, but about themselves.

YOU'RE RIGHT !!! Let's all stop reading the Observer. Then this stupid, long-winded, tedious and boring conversation will end.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest
YOU'RE RIGHT !!!  Let's all stop reading the Observer. Then this stupid, long-winded, tedious and boring conversation will end.

I don't find it tedious. After today's response by Mr. Hazer, (a former teacher in the Language Department of KHS,) The Observer should shut down. He hit the nail on the head. I'm surprised the Observer printed it because it shows their complete stupidity. And to ad insult to injury, now we have the Sports Writer adding his two cents. Nothing against Mr. Miller. I'm sure he would be a great addition to the KHS administrative staff, but it should have been by letter to the Board of Education or a letter to the editor, not as a statement of fact by an employee of the Observer.

Kudos to Mr. Hazer!