Kearny EMS S**ks

Guest Pissed Off Resident

Guest Pissed Off Resident

About 2 months ago my 87 year old grandmother was having a Heart Attack, she was very ill for a long time and we were somewhat prepared for her death. At about 12:00 a.m. my dad called a ambulance and when they got there they must have been training some new asshole because they were in the house for about an hour useing her as a guinea pig. One guy was talking the other guy through proceedure while my grandmother was dieing on the floor. That was not the time or place to train anyone. I did not know about this until recently, and if I was there niether one of those EMS guys would be on this earth. My Grandmother Died in the Hospital later that day. I think the Town needs to stop useing volunteer EMS

Guest Guest
About 2 months ago my 87 year old grandmother was having a Heart Attack, she was very ill for a long time and we were somewhat prepared for her death. At about 12:00 a.m. my dad called a ambulance and when they got there they must have been training some new asshole because they were in the house for about an hour useing her as a guinea pig. One guy was talking the other guy through proceedure while my grandmother was dieing on the floor. That was not the time or place to train anyone. I did not know about this until recently, and if I was there niether one of those EMS guys would be on this earth. My Grandmother Died in the Hospital later that day. I think the Town needs to stop useing volunteer EMS

Not surprising they are horrible, I've heard and witnessed many other incidents similar to yours.

Guest Mr Patil

Go talk to the Mayor if this story is true

Guest Knowing

Everyone knows this job should be being done by the firefighters. They are trained and we're paying them big time salaries for very little work. Get with Kearny politicians this problem has been going on for years and is not going to get any better.

Guest Guest

Do you know that they charge your insurance $500 even if you refuse treatment. I can understand a fee of some kind for responding ... but $500? That seems excessive.

Guest Guest

The town hasnt had Volunteers for over a year now...If they were there for that long it was the Paramedics that were doing the work, NOT the EMT's

• 3 years later...

-They charge $100 if you refuse medical assistance, this is completely fair because if you dont need the ambulance, then dont call for all you know there could someone dying on the turnpike while they are wasting their time at your incident.

-They are not volunteer, they are paid (below normal pay grade).

-Yes it was most likely paramedics on the call and they are known to be awful, especially in that area and are employed by the hospitals or other corporations.

-And if she died in the hospital it is the hospital's fault not the EMT's who do not have the capacity to maintain life, only to maintain oxygen to the brain. They are called BASICS for a reason.

• 1 year later...
Guest An EMT

I am an emt in Nutley. First off Kearny does have volunteers. And paid personell just like most volunteer ems services. Second firefighters can't be held responsible for fires and ems because there will be to many continuing education courses and then also your town would have to pay more for double the amount of workers. Yes that was way to long for the squad to be on site o agree with that but keep in mind with out volunteers your taxes would go up even more. Kearny ems will get in shape don't worry and I am sorry about your grandmother. I woul have killed those guys too

Guest Educator

I am an emt in Nutley. First off Kearny does have volunteers. And paid personell just like most volunteer ems services. Second firefighters can't be held responsible for fires and ems because there will be to many continuing education courses and then also your town would have to pay more for double the amount of workers. Yes that was way to long for the squad to be on site o agree with that but keep in mind with out volunteers your taxes would go up even more. Kearny ems will get in shape don't worry and I am sorry about your grandmother. I woul have killed those guys too

Good grief. Forget ems and finish high school.

I'm glad Nutley can afford a professional EMT. What is wrong with --too many continuing education courses? You live in Kearny-- why cant the success of Nutley be transplanted here?

A. The correct spelling is "dying." Google's web browser comes fully equipped with a spell check feature (you can find it here: www.google.com/chrome)

B. This story is probably about 30% true. I know Kearny EMS personnel, and they are highly professional, fully trained and incredibly intelligent. Their first and only priority was to save your grandmother's life that night. Just because somebody was doing a walk-through of the procedure for another EMS professional does not mean that they weren't doing their best to save your grandmother's life.

C. Kearny EMS saves lives on a daily basis and loses them as often. That's basically how it goes with emergency care. It's really horrible that you lost your grandmother, but it was not because of the efforts (or lack thereof) of Kearny EMS.

D. You weren't even there. Your story is doubly untrustworthy. It's an impassioned account of an impassioned account. I'm sure some of the details were flubbed and exaggerated, and I'm sure you exaggerated said details.

E. It's sad that your reaction to this event would have been to assault Kearny EMS employees. They put themselves in enough danger in their line of work; they don't need victims' families to start going after them. I see your statement ("They would not be on this Earth.") as a clear threat and would find it in the best interest of the community that the person who monitors this forum turn you over to the authorities. You are clearly an unstable individual who needs help.

F. It seems odd that KOTW would allow this thread to even make it onto their site. With all of the screening and editing that goes on here, somebody managed to get a terroristic threat up? Un-F**KING-believable.

Guest Hmmmmmm

Well then You should probably stay in Nutley. Kearny has not had volunteers for a number of years now. KVERS was supplanted first by a temporary emergency contract with EMTAC because KVERS was unable to meet it's obligation of coverage, even with half of the Shifts during the week covered with paid personnel. At the end of EMTAC's emergency contract Bids went out and the current KEMS (Kearny Emergency Medical Services) was formed and won the contract Bid. KEMS is comprised entirely of paid personnel and does not incorporate any Volunteers at all. to the Original Poster: KEMS does have it's issues, but if there is a working Code it is not all that unusual for the emt's and paramedics to work on the scene for what seems to be an excessive time in order to get the patient stabilized enough to be moved. When I had a family member die recently the local EMS and MONOC paramedics were working on her in my home for 45 min before transporting to the local hospital. Those folks did everything possible that they could and were able to get my family member to the hospital to be stabilized further before transfer to a specialty unit where she passed.

Guest emt123

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Kearny is 100% paid. Although it used to be partly volunteer. Also about the fire fighter's not being able to become EMT's because of the CEU's is absolutely absurd, as every fire fighter on kearny's fire dept. is a state certified EMT Basic they respond as first responders when the ambulance is already occupied or to assist for things of a serious nature, and even though i disagree with it, there are plenty of departments that handle both fire and EMS such a Bellville and Clifton which are right next to Nutley as you should know if you plan to talk about the inter workings of surrounding towns EMS departments. This is obviously some naive volunteer kid from Nutley. Not to bash volunteer's at all because what they do is very admirable as I have been one for years and have great respect for them. But don't talk on a subject that you know nothing about. Kearny has a very professional paid department. And on another note, the original post is from years ago this is all irrelevant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

First off Kearny EMS is 100% paid. #2 I have a love one that is not longer with us and I called many times for and everytime KEMS came out they were very understanding and helpfull. #3 they do charge when you have been seen but not transported and its a $100 fee not $500 trust me I know first hand. and just a FYI if they work on a love one and that person does not make it. KEMS does not charge so please do your homework before you go and bad mouth someone that only helps and saves lives.

First off Kearny EMS is 100% paid. #2 I have a love one that is not longer with us and I called many times for and everytime KEMS came out they were very understanding and helpfull. #3 they do charge when you have been seen but not transported and its a $100 fee not $500 trust me I know first hand. and just a FYI if they work on a love one and that person does not make it. KEMS does not charge so please do your homework before you go and bad mouth someone that only helps and saves lives.

Why can't we let this thread die... the original post was from 2006