Jazz concert

Guest KHS

Join the KHS music department for a free jazz concert in the KHS auditorium on Monday evening, June 12th at 7:30 pm. The concert will feature the Kearny High School jazz band and the Kearny community jazz band, a professional big band featuring North Jersey musicians including Kearny's Frank Digesere, Larry Feintuck, John Giardina, Joao Goncalves, Jerry Ficeto and Martin Hoff.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

Good to see KHS has a jazz band again.

Join the KHS music department for a free jazz concert in the KHS auditorium on Monday evening, June 12th at 7:30 pm. The concert will feature the Kearny High School jazz band and the Kearny community jazz band, a professional big band featuring North Jersey musicians including Kearny's Frank Digesere, Larry Feintuck, John Giardina, Joao Goncalves, Jerry Ficeto and Martin Hoff.

Guest Guest

Digesere's last concert as a Principal...............he's actually a very good jazz guitar player. I heard the lead alto player was with Benny Goodman or Guy Lambardo. I forget which. Pretty big difference! Also the 2nd trumpet player has a CD out!

Guest Guest

John Giardina, the guy that sang at the project graduation swing comcert! He's got a great voice. I'll be at that concert tonight. Not to mention my neighbor is in the KHS jazz band!

Guest Guest

Yeah, that's the guy! He's been teaching art in Kearny for forty something years! Plays guitar too. Looking forward to the concert tonight! Heard the band might play In the Mood! My favorite! Saws the Glenn Miller band...........a long time ago....................

John Giardina, the guy that sang at the project graduation swing comcert! He's got a great voice. I'll be at that concert tonight. Not to mention my neighbor is in the KHS jazz band!

Guest Guest

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! MOLTO BENE!

Can't say enoughgood things about this group.

It's such a pleasure to hear a group making music for the sheer joy it provides.

Only thing negative I could say is it should've been promoted better, this group deserves to play to a full house!

I hadn't seen/heard a group this large live in quite a while, one forgets how great this music is.

I hope some of the student group will read this........NICE JOB!

It's GREAT to see and hear young folks involved with this genre, 100 years from now this music will still be played and enjoyed!

MANY THANKS TO YOU ALL!

Guest KHS Music Dept.

Thank you so much and thank you for being there!

BRAVO!  BRAVO!  BRAVO!  MOLTO BENE!

Can't say enoughgood things about this group.

It's such a pleasure to hear a group making music for the sheer joy it provides.

Only thing negative I could say is it should've been promoted better, this group deserves to play to a full house!

I hadn't seen/heard a group this large live in quite a while, one forgets how great this music is. 

I hope some of the student group will read this........NICE JOB!

It's GREAT to see and hear young folks involved with this genre, 100 years from now this music will still be played and enjoyed!

MANY THANKS TO YOU ALL!

Guest To the KHS Music Department

Sorry I don't recall the name but somone was wondering when the Jazz Band had gotten its start. I can tell you attempts were made around '65-'66.

It's such a uniquely American art-form that gets nowhere near the exposure it deserves. It's refreshing to see the young students' involvement and to know they'll understand there is music other than rap and hip-hop.

Guest KHS Music Dept.

Would love to know more about the history of the jazz band in KHS. In '72-'73 the band was great with Rob Risden leading it. It went down a bit then till Frank Digesere, Jim DiGuglielmo and Jim Soldo got involved. Yes, very uniquely American art form! Not a lot of people know that!

khsmd

Sorry I don't recall the name but somone was wondering when the Jazz Band had gotten its start.  I can tell you attempts were made around '65-'66.

It's such a uniquely American art-form that gets nowhere near the exposure it deserves.  It's refreshing to see the young students' involvement and to know they'll understand there is music other than rap and hip-hop.

Guest Guest
Sorry I don't recall the name but somone was wondering when the Jazz Band had gotten its start.  I can tell you attempts were made around '65-'66.

It's such a uniquely American art-form that gets nowhere near the exposure it deserves.  It's refreshing to see the young students' involvement and to know they'll understand there is music other than rap and hip-hop.

Sorry, can't really offer too much information, it was a long time ago and we were entering a very hectic time, the British Invasion, and it seems to me that was about when Vietnam was just starting to appear on most people's radar screens.

If I recall, '65-'66 there was a teacher, Mr. Fine? Made an effort to get something started, I recall a few rehearsals but maybe not enough interest?

You have to realize that this was an era ('63-'67) when the boys were required to wear jacket & tie to KHS and at times the school administration seemed more concerned with hair-length than the quality of education they were providing.

VERY different atmosphere than today's. On the first day of school in 1964 three boys were killed by a train on their way to school. While today there would no doubt be grief counselors and other attempts made to ease peoples' emotions at the time the only counseling was "there's the bell, go to class".

Guest Guest
Sorry, can't really offer too much information, it was a long time ago and we were entering a very hectic time, the British Invasion, and it seems to me that was about when Vietnam was just starting to appear on most people's radar screens.

If I recall, '65-'66 there was a teacher,  Mr. Fine?  Made an effort to get something started, I recall a few rehearsals but maybe not enough interest?

You have to realize that this was an era ('63-'67) when the boys were required to wear jacket & tie to KHS and at times the school administration seemed more concerned with hair-length than the quality of education they were providing.

VERY different atmosphere than today's.  On the first day of school in 1964 three boys were killed by a train on their way to school.  While today there would no doubt be grief counselors and other attempts made to ease peoples' emotions at the time the only counseling was  "there's the bell, go to class".

Yeah, I'd say the "grief counselors" and lack of uniforms has really worked out well. :wacko:

Guest Guest
Is this the "Mutual Pat Yourself On The Back Society"? Can I join?

Seems to me like the same poster answering his own posts. :)

So let me get this straight. You read posts that are of no interest to you and then take time to comment on them. No much of a life going on?

I can guarantee you there are at least two different posters on this topic, probably three with your inspiring and helpful comment.

Now, back to the history of the Kearny High School jazz band.

Guest Guest

So let me get this straight. You read posts that are of no interest to you and then take time to comment on them. No much of a life going on?

I can guarantee you there are at least two different posters on this topic, probably three with your inspiring and helpful comment.

More of a life than you fools pretending to be musicians.

Guest Guest

Coming from someone pretending to be a human being that remark isn't worth the electrons it's printed with.

Guest Guest

If these folks were as you say "pretending to be musicians" it should really have been filmed as it was an Oscar caliber performance.

Guest Guest

I was at that concert. What musicians did you feel were not up to your level of musicianship? Everyone in that band is a professional musician. One has a CD that was just released. So tell me where you thought there where musical problems and what those problems where. Be specific. I, like you, am a musician and I will understand your critique. Please, elaborate.

I missed the concert. :( Anymore coming soon? As for the person with the negative remarks, jealous much? I would love to take my family to see a concert from KHS.

Guest Guest

Ah to live the the life of a sensitive artiste. For now lets get back to teaching and **********.

And BTW, anyone can put out a CD now.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Guest Guest
Ah to live the the life of a sensitive artiste.  For now lets get back to teaching and **********.

And BTW, anyone can put out a CD now.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Not paid for and paid to do by a record company.

Guest Guest

Still waiting for your musical criticism of the band........................any time now...............

Guest Guest
Still waiting for your musical criticism of the band........................any time now...............

I'll make a complaint, they could have taken a break and played another set ;o)

This complainer either wasn't there or is tone deaf.

I thank all who played at the concert and those who worked to make it possible.

ENCORE!