Who is Joseph Lauro

Guest Pd Proffesional Help?

Guest Pd Proffesional Help?

1999/04/02 Fri Pg 1, 561 words

Papers mysteriously disappear in WNY

Ronald Leir, Journal staff writer ... had no relationship with Oriente whatsoever. The mayor also called the testimony lies. Yesterday, a spokesman for Sires said the mayor had nothing to do with the missing papers. "The mayor has no knowledge of this and he certainly doesn't condone it," Joseph Lauro said. The newspapers disappeared hours after the Journal received an anonymous call late Wednesday night warning that the North Hudson Kiwanis Club was organizing an effort to buy up all the papers so they couldn't be...

2000/04/24 Mon Pg 3, 371 words

Fraguela questions legality of $13M bond float deal

Peter Weiss, Journal staff writer ... occurred," Fraguela said in a letter to HCIA Executive Director Thomas Calvanico, a copy of which was obtained by The Jersey Journal. He also complained that the HCIA could not provide him with documents relating to the bond agreement. HCIA spokesman Joseph Lauro said the agency had not received Fraguela's letter by the end of business on Thursday, and would not comment until it arrived. The HCIA was closed for Good Friday. "We can't understand why the newspaper got the letter...

2001/05/22 Tue Pg 1, 478 words

Suit asking $8M from Progressive Health

Peter Weiss, Journal staff writer ... Progressive also owes money to private companies that provide services at Pollak and Meadowview. The suit seeks immediate payment from Progressive. "We've given Progressive several opportunities, but they have failed to live up to the agreement," said Joseph Lauro, spokesman for the HCIA, which owns the hospitals as the result of a three-way deal with the county and Progressive. "Our concern is for the patients, the employees and the taxpayers of Hudson County." Lauro said the...

2001/07/20 Fri Pg 1, 335 words

Pollak patients get to shower

Peter Weiss, Journal correspondent ... is to try to convince all the creditors to hold off on their efforts to get paid to allow him to put the facilities on firmer financial footing. The Hudson County Improvement Authority, which now owns the buildings, is agreeable, according to spokesman Joseph Lauro. The Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority, which is owed about $1 million, has been asked by the City Council to wait 90 days before pressing its claim. Marks is also seeking a firm to temporarily operate Pollak...

2003/05/13 Tue Pg 1, 1160 words

Harrison cop chief retiring 'on good terms,' but cites stress

Nancy Benecki, Journal staff writer ... rest of the Police Committee had not yet seen the letter. "At this point, the chief has informed us of his retirement. We passed a resolution commending his performance," Doran said. "We'll leave the rest of this up to the new chief." Town spokesman Joseph Lauro said Mayor Raymond J. McDonough had no comment on the letter. The resolution honoring Greene, passed at a May 6 council meeting, said the chief was instrumental in establishing such programs as the Civilian Dispatcher System,...

2004/02/27 Fri Pg 3, 532 words

$70G contract awarded despite attempt to withdraw it

John Martins, Journal staff writer ... from the board's agenda. Presented Tuesday at the freeholders' pre-meeting caucus, the contract would renew for another year the services provided by the Funding Group, which is based in Upper Montclair and is headed by partners Barbara Lawton and Joseph Lauro. Antun asked the freeholders yesterday to remove the item from the agenda for further administrative review, but a move put forward to pull it was defeated. Chairman Sal Vega of West New York said he was upset with a comment...

2004/04/15 Thu Pg 1, 730 words

Abreu trial judge wants opening arguments today

Jason Fink, Journal staff writer ... Sires has agreed to be interviewed by federal prosecutors who are overseeing a long-running investigation into public corruption in West New York, of which the Abreu case is a part. "He is going to continue to cooperate in any way he can," said Joseph Lauro, a spokesman in Sires' mayoral office. Sires has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, and had claimed publicly as recently as last week that he had never been contacted by federal investigators in the West New York case. His comments...

Harrison mayoral race is heating up Thursday, May 04, 2006

By ROSE DUGER

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

HARRISON - The race for mayor is on, with the two Democratic candidates for mayor firing the opening salvos in what promises to be a bitter primary election season.

This year Mayor Raymond J. McDonough faces opposition from Michael Hinchcliffe, a lifelong Harrison resident who has accused the mayor of offering him political favors in exchange for not filing his petition to run for mayor.

McDonough has denied the charge.

Calling it "typical Harrison politics," Hinchcliffe said he was approached by the mayor shortly after picking up his petition.

McDonough allegedly sought to persuade Hinchcliffe not to enter the primary by promising the challenger seats on town boards.

"When I sat down with him he asked me not to run," said Hinchcliffe, a Little Ferry police officer. "He asked me what I wanted, maybe a couple of town boards? I told him that I want a better Harrison."

McDonough refused to answer a reporter's questions about the matter directly, instead denying Hinchcliffe's allegations through spokesman Joseph Lauro.

"The mayor told me he never spoke to (Hinchcliffe)," Lauro said. "He has spoken maybe 10 words to Hinchcliffe since he's been mayor."

Hinchcliffe also ripped McDonough for what he claimed is a long-standing tendency to re-schedule meetings of the governing body to prevent residents from expressing their views on important town issues.

Recently, a meeting slated for April 4 was bumped to the week before, a move that angered Hinchcliffe and members of the Friends of Harrison, a political action committee that had pledged to attend the session to complain about a 39 percent water rate hike approved at the meeting.

The Jersey Journal has also complained to the town in the past about re-scheduling of meetings without proper notification.

Speaking through Lauro, McDonough said he has "re-scheduled only two or three meetings" in the 11 years he has served as Harrison's mayor.

First elected mayor in 1995, McDonough served on the council since 1977.

He has been a driving force in the town's plan to redevelop 275 acres of largely abandoned industrial complexes along the Passaic River into upscale townhouses, commercial and retail space, parking facilities and a stadium for the New York Red Bulls Major League Soccer team.

Hinchliffe pointed out that while the redevelopment plan was approved nearly seven years ago, the only projects to break ground are a Hampton Inn and Suites that was completed in late 2004 and a townhouse complex that is currently under construction.

He also said he favors an approach to redevelopment that emphasizes commercial development such as malls rather than residences, "something that maintains itself without a burden on the tax base."

Lauro said the redevelopment process is "extremely complicated" and has "taken longer than everyone involved would have liked. But it is off the ground and running and we think that's the most important thing," he said.

For his part, McDonough accused Hinchcliffe of entering the mayoral race with little experience in town operations or activities.

"Other than some activities in youth sports programs some years back, he (McDonough) has never seen Hinchcliffe involved in town government, so how would he know what has gone on in town government?" Lauro said.

"I'm not an angry kid," Hinchcliffe, 33, countered. "I'm not running against Ray McDonough. I'm not going to say I'm a better man than Ray. I'm running to get Harrison on track."

Guest Guest
1999/04/02 Fri Pg 1, 561 words 

Papers mysteriously disappear in WNY

Ronald Leir, Journal staff writer ... had no relationship with Oriente whatsoever. The mayor also called the testimony lies. Yesterday, a spokesman for Sires said the mayor had nothing to do with the missing papers. "The mayor has no knowledge of this and he certainly doesn't condone it," Joseph Lauro said. The newspapers disappeared hours after the Journal received an anonymous call late Wednesday night warning that the North Hudson Kiwanis Club was organizing an effort to buy up all the papers so they couldn't be...

2000/04/24 Mon Pg 3, 371 words 

Fraguela questions legality of $13M bond float deal

Peter Weiss, Journal staff writer ... occurred," Fraguela said in a letter to HCIA Executive Director Thomas Calvanico, a copy of which was obtained by The Jersey Journal. He also complained that the HCIA could not provide him with documents relating to the bond agreement. HCIA spokesman Joseph Lauro said the agency had not received Fraguela's letter by the end of business on Thursday, and would not comment until it arrived. The HCIA was closed for Good Friday. "We can't understand why the newspaper got the letter...

2001/05/22 Tue Pg 1, 478 words 

Suit asking $8M from Progressive Health

Peter Weiss, Journal staff writer ... Progressive also owes money to private companies that provide services at Pollak and Meadowview. The suit seeks immediate payment from Progressive. "We've given Progressive several opportunities, but they have failed to live up to the agreement," said Joseph Lauro, spokesman for the HCIA, which owns the hospitals as the result of a three-way deal with the county and Progressive. "Our concern is for the patients, the employees and the taxpayers of Hudson County." Lauro said the...

2001/07/20 Fri Pg 1, 335 words 

Pollak patients get to shower

Peter Weiss, Journal correspondent ... is to try to convince all the creditors to hold off on their efforts to get paid to allow him to put the facilities on firmer financial footing. The Hudson County Improvement Authority, which now owns the buildings, is agreeable, according to spokesman Joseph Lauro. The Jersey City Municipal Utilities Authority, which is owed about $1 million, has been asked by the City Council to wait 90 days before pressing its claim. Marks is also seeking a firm to temporarily operate Pollak...

2003/05/13 Tue Pg 1, 1160 words 

Harrison cop chief retiring 'on good terms,' but cites stress

Nancy Benecki, Journal staff writer ... rest of the Police Committee had not yet seen the letter. "At this point, the chief has informed us of his retirement. We passed a resolution commending his performance," Doran said. "We'll leave the rest of this up to the new chief." Town spokesman Joseph Lauro said Mayor Raymond J. McDonough had no comment on the letter. The resolution honoring Greene, passed at a May 6 council meeting, said the chief was instrumental in establishing such programs as the Civilian Dispatcher System,...

2004/02/27 Fri Pg 3, 532 words 

$70G contract awarded despite attempt to withdraw it

John Martins, Journal staff writer ... from the board's agenda. Presented Tuesday at the freeholders' pre-meeting caucus, the contract would renew for another year the services provided by the Funding Group, which is based in Upper Montclair and is headed by partners Barbara Lawton and Joseph Lauro. Antun asked the freeholders yesterday to remove the item from the agenda for further administrative review, but a move put forward to pull it was defeated. Chairman Sal Vega of West New York said he was upset with a comment...

2004/04/15 Thu Pg 1, 730 words 

Abreu trial judge wants opening arguments today

Jason Fink, Journal staff writer ... Sires has agreed to be interviewed by federal prosecutors who are overseeing a long-running investigation into public corruption in West New York, of which the Abreu case is a part. "He is going to continue to cooperate in any way he can," said Joseph Lauro, a spokesman in Sires' mayoral office. Sires has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, and had claimed publicly as recently as last week that he had never been contacted by federal investigators in the West New York case. His comments...

Harrison mayoral race is heating up Thursday, May 04, 2006

By ROSE DUGER

JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

HARRISON - The race for mayor is on, with the two Democratic candidates for mayor firing the opening salvos in what promises to be a bitter primary election season.

This year Mayor Raymond J. McDonough faces opposition from Michael Hinchcliffe, a lifelong Harrison resident who has accused the mayor of offering him political favors in exchange for not filing his petition to run for mayor.

McDonough has denied the charge.

Calling it "typical Harrison politics," Hinchcliffe said he was approached by the mayor shortly after picking up his petition.

McDonough allegedly sought to persuade Hinchcliffe not to enter the primary by promising the challenger seats on town boards.

"When I sat down with him he asked me not to run," said Hinchcliffe, a Little Ferry police officer. "He asked me what I wanted, maybe a couple of town boards? I told him that I want a better Harrison."

McDonough refused to answer a reporter's questions about the matter directly, instead denying Hinchcliffe's allegations through spokesman Joseph Lauro.

"The mayor told me he never spoke to (Hinchcliffe)," Lauro said. "He has spoken maybe 10 words to Hinchcliffe since he's been mayor."

Hinchcliffe also ripped McDonough for what he claimed is a long-standing tendency to re-schedule meetings of the governing body to prevent residents from expressing their views on important town issues.

Recently, a meeting slated for April 4 was bumped to the week before, a move that angered Hinchcliffe and members of the Friends of Harrison, a political action committee that had pledged to attend the session to complain about a 39 percent water rate hike approved at the meeting.

The Jersey Journal has also complained to the town in the past about re-scheduling of meetings without proper notification.

Speaking through Lauro, McDonough said he has "re-scheduled only two or three meetings" in the 11 years he has served as Harrison's mayor.

First elected mayor in 1995, McDonough served on the council since 1977.

He has been a driving force in the town's plan to redevelop 275 acres of largely abandoned industrial complexes along the Passaic River into upscale townhouses, commercial and retail space, parking facilities and a stadium for the New York Red Bulls Major League Soccer team.

Hinchliffe pointed out that while the redevelopment plan was approved nearly seven years ago, the only projects to break ground are a Hampton Inn and Suites that was completed in late 2004 and a townhouse complex that is currently under construction.

He also said he favors an approach to redevelopment that emphasizes commercial development such as malls rather than residences, "something that maintains itself without a burden on the tax base."

Lauro said the redevelopment process is "extremely complicated" and has "taken longer than everyone involved would have liked. But it is off the ground and running and we think that's the most important thing," he said.

For his part, McDonough accused Hinchcliffe of entering the mayoral race with little experience in town operations or activities.

"Other than some activities in youth sports programs some years back, he (McDonough) has never seen Hinchcliffe involved in town government, so how would he know what has gone on in town government?" Lauro said.

"I'm not an angry kid," Hinchcliffe, 33, countered. "I'm not running against Ray McDonough. I'm not going to say I'm a better man than Ray. I'm running to get Harrison on track."

Isn't it a shame that our mayor is so far out of touch with his constitutients that he has to talk to them thru a "spin doctor " like Joe Lauro?

Archived