ANOTHER SANTOS BUDGET MISTAKE!! ($250,000!!)

Jim Mangin

At the April 25 Town Council meeting, Mayor Santos and co. adopted an emergency appropriation for $250,000 to cover the rate increase from the Passaic Valley Sewage Commission. This was less than 30 days after the budget was adopted. My question is this - Didn't anyone check to see what the new rate was? Or was this a deliberate attempt to push the quarter million dollar tax increase to next year when no Councilmember is running for re-election? Everyone will have to make up their own minds on the Mayor's true motive, but consider this . . .

Emergency Appropriations are only legal when they are for purposes unforeseen at the time of the budget adoption. According to Mayor Santos, PVSC notified Kearny on April 3, 2006 of the rate increase that was effective Jan 1, 2006. Not True!!! The Town must've made a first quarter payment this past Jan and paid the new higher rate then. But still, the CFO certified that Kearny wasn't notified until April 3.

Looks like another Kearny CFO may be losing his certification.

Now, didn't Mayor Santos already blame for PVSC for this year's massive tax increase - three months before PVSC supposedly told Kearny about the 2006 increase?? In his Feb 2006 letter to taxpayers, Mayor Santos blamed the high tax increase on "increased sewage costs (up $131,659)." Now we find out the increase is really $386,659. But since the budget is now adopted, the Mayor's plan is to just push it off until next year. Who's up for re-election next year? No one. Next year will the first year in Kearny history with no Town Council election.

For those keeping score, that's now a $4,650,000 hole in next year's budget. Like I've said repeatedly on this site, this year's massive tax increase is nothing compared to next year's massiver tax increase. (Taxes will be so high next year that new words had to be invented to describe it).

This year's $2,000,000 payment from the Meadowlands Commission became $4,000,000 because the Mayor saw fit to "borrow” next year's $2 million payment - creating a $4 million hole next year.

The $400,000 "mistake" in delinquent tax revenue that I've written about previously won't be available to be used as surplus until Fiscal 2008 - bumping that hole up to $4,400,000.

And now, how does Mayor Santos plan to fix this problem? Simple. Borrow more from next year. According to the Jersey Journal

"This is another general budget issue we'll face next year," the mayor said. "This means that in next year's budget we'll have to raise another $250,000."

What does he care? He's not up for re-election. And he doesn't pay taxes.

More Santosisms:

Does this Mayor have any clue as to what he is talking about?

From that same Jersey Journal article - "Mayor Al Santos said the town had originally forecast a rate hike of between 11 and 12 percent, but the actual increase was closer to 20 percent." Wrong again!!!

The budget reflects an increase of only 4%, not 11-12%. And when you add the $250,000 "emergency" the new increase becomes 11%, not 20%. Just more Santos double-talk. (I feel like I'm Al Franken and Mayor Santos is Sean Hannity).

This is his budget, not mine. Why do I have to tell him what he did and didn't do??

It's funny. In 2003 whe I tried for an Emergency Appropriation to fix the icing problem on Park Ave., Mayor Santos said that do so would be a "fourth degree crime." He said the Council would be engaging in criminal activity if we voted for my plan since we knew about the water condition before the budget was adopted.

He was wrong of course. The ice build-up was unprecedented.

But he was right when he said that an Emergency Appropriation is a crime if the purpose was known when the budget was adopted. His budget, the CFO certification that PVSC notified Kearny on April 3, and the January 2006 bill from PVSC (showing the rate increase) are all the proof needed to convict on this "fourth degree crime."

Now, does everyone understand why no CFO in the entire State of New Jersey will take the job in Kearny full-time? Does everyone understand why people with high standards regarding the public trust, like Doreen Cali, no longer work in Kearny?

Afterthought . . .

It just occurred to me. Who will Mayor Santos blame this fiasco on? His favorite target of past debacles was former-CFO Shuh Yang. But she resigned in December, and this didn't surface until January. Will the Mayor step up and take the hit for this one? Or will he look for a new target?

My guess is old habits are tough to break. He will stick to what's familiar and try to blame Ms. Yang. Maybe he'll blame me.

Jim Mangin

ps - I know Mayor Santos reads this forum. To him - Al, you should've let me speak about the budget at the Feb 21 meeting (instead of limiting me to speaking only about the budget amendment). I would've told you about the $400,000 delinquent tax mistake. And I pay the bills for East Newark, including the Passaic Valley bill. I knew about the increase. I would've gladly told you if you would've just let me.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Loki

(I feel like I'm Al Franken and Mayor Santos is Sean Hannity).

Forgive me Jim, but personally, I like Hannity better. I can't take political advice from a guy who played a baggage handler in the Eddie Murphy movie "Trading Places". Sad but true.

Besides, they both deal in opinion, and this, sadly enough, is not your opinion it is a very unfortunate truth.

Guest Michigan
At the April 25 Town Council meeting, Mayor Santos and co. adopted an emergency appropriation for $250,000 to cover the rate increase from the Passaic Valley Sewage Commission. This was less than 30 days after the budget was adopted. My question is this - Didn't anyone check to see what the new rate was? Or was this a deliberate attempt to push the quarter million dollar tax increase to next year when no Councilmember is running for re-election? Everyone will have to make up their own minds on the Mayor's true motive, but consider this . . .

Emergency Appropriations are only legal when they are for purposes unforeseen at the time of the budget adoption. According to Mayor Santos, PVSC notified Kearny on April 3, 2006 of the rate increase that was effective Jan 1, 2006. Not True!!!  The Town must've made a first quarter payment this past Jan and paid the new higher rate then. But still, the CFO certified that Kearny wasn't notified until April 3.

Looks like another Kearny CFO may be losing his certification.

Now, didn't Mayor Santos already blame for PVSC for this year's massive tax increase - three months before PVSC supposedly told Kearny about the 2006 increase?? In his Feb 2006 letter to taxpayers, Mayor Santos blamed the high tax increase on "increased sewage costs (up $131,659)."  Now we find out the increase is really $386,659. But since the budget is now adopted, the Mayor's plan is to just push it off until next year. Who's up for re-election next year? No one. Next year will the first year in Kearny history with no Town Council election.

For those keeping score, that's now a $4,650,000 hole in next year's budget. Like I've said repeatedly on this site, this year's massive tax increase is nothing compared to next year's massiver tax increase. (Taxes will be so high next year that new words had to be invented to describe it).

This year's $2,000,000 payment from the Meadowlands Commission became $4,000,000 because the Mayor saw fit to "borrow” next year's $2 million payment - creating a $4 million hole next year.

The $400,000 "mistake" in delinquent tax revenue that I've written about previously won't be available to be used as surplus until Fiscal 2008 - bumping that hole up to $4,400,000.

And now, how does Mayor Santos plan to fix this problem? Simple. Borrow more from next year. According to the Jersey Journal

"This is another general budget issue we'll face next year," the mayor said. "This means that in next year's budget we'll have to raise another $250,000."

What does he care? He's not up for re-election. And he doesn't pay taxes.

More Santosisms:

Does this Mayor have any clue as to what he is talking about?

From that same Jersey Journal article -  "Mayor Al Santos said the town had originally forecast a rate hike of between 11 and 12 percent, but the actual increase was closer to 20 percent." Wrong again!!! 

The budget reflects an increase of only 4%, not 11-12%. And when you add the $250,000 "emergency" the new increase becomes 11%, not 20%. Just more Santos double-talk. (I feel like I'm Al Franken and Mayor Santos is Sean Hannity).

This is his budget, not mine. Why do I have to tell him what he did and didn't do??

It's funny. In 2003 whe I tried for an Emergency Appropriation to fix the icing problem on Park Ave., Mayor Santos said that do so would be a "fourth degree crime." He said the Council would be engaging in criminal activity if we voted for my plan since we knew about the water condition before the budget was adopted. 

He was wrong of course. The ice build-up was unprecedented.

But he was right when he said that an Emergency Appropriation is a crime if the purpose was known when the budget was adopted. His budget, the CFO certification that PVSC notified Kearny on April 3, and the January 2006 bill from PVSC (showing the rate increase) are all the proof needed to convict on this "fourth degree crime."

Now, does everyone understand why no CFO in the entire State of New Jersey will take the job in Kearny full-time? Does everyone understand why people with high standards regarding the public trust, like Doreen Cali, no longer work in Kearny?

Afterthought . . .

It just occurred to me. Who will Mayor Santos blame this fiasco on? His favorite target of past debacles was former-CFO Shuh Yang. But she resigned in December, and this didn't surface until January. Will the Mayor step up and take the hit for this one? Or will he look for a new target?

My guess is old habits are tough to break. He will stick to what's familiar and try to blame Ms. Yang. Maybe he'll blame me.

Jim Mangin

ps - I know Mayor Santos reads this forum. To him - Al, you should've let me speak about the budget at the Feb 21 meeting (instead of limiting me to speaking only about the budget amendment). I would've told you about the $400,000 delinquent tax mistake. And I pay the bills for East Newark, including the Passaic Valley bill. I knew about the increase. I would've gladly told you if you would've just let me.

Jim, you are a pain in the ass. Shut up or put up, run for Mayor so we can all laugh our asses off when you get blown away in the election.

Guest guest
Jim, you are a pain in the ass. Shut up or put up, run for Mayor so we can all laugh our asses off when you get blown away in the election.

He may be a pain in the ass. He may lose a few elections. But he's the ONLY one who called out this administration on its continuous financial mistakes (or deliberate omissions?)-- and make them admit it in a public forum, no less. Well done, Jim.

Guest Ajax

This reply is typical of the Santos supporter. Here is a former council person explaining the facts about what is going on in Town Hall and all you have to say is something like this. You sound like a fomer member of the BOE who was defeated for re election a while back. I guess those grapes are still sour. At least Jim signs his name to his posts.

Guest Guest 99

Sorry, Jimbo, but I have to agree with this poster. Anything you post in here is just a part of a political vendetta you have against the Mayor and another way for you to get in the papers.

And, you keep bring up the Park Ave. icing problem. Wasn't it you, while on the Council, who skipped over Park Ave. for repairs one year, yet did your usual grandstanding the next year when residents complained publically? The answer is a resounding YES, Jim boy. I was there when the Mayor and Councilwoman Doyle chided you about your failure to mention it the previous years list of streets to be repaired.

Guest go get him

Another person upset when Mangin PROVES SANTOS IS WRONG.

Guest Guest
Sorry, Jimbo, but I have to agree with this poster. Anything you post in here is just a part of a political vendetta you have against the Mayor and another way for you to get in the papers.

And, you keep bring up the Park Ave. icing problem. Wasn't it you, while on the Council, who skipped over Park Ave. for repairs one year, yet did your usual grandstanding the next year when residents complained publically? The answer is a resounding YES, Jim boy. I was there when the Mayor and Councilwoman Doyle chided you about your failure to mention it the previous years list of streets to be repaired.

..and what streets did they both forget to mention at that meeting that they are both big champions of now?

I was there --I remember

the squeky wheel with the best mechanic gets fixed.

Think.

Guest Guest
Another person upset when Mangin PROVES SANTOS IS WRONG.

second ward agrees Mar 23 2006, 10:08 AM Post #2

Unregistered

QUOTE(NJD @ Mar 22 2006, 11:45 PM)

I was just wondering , what the hell does the Mayor of Kearny do all day. My guess, not much. The reason I say this is that if the Mayor, and all his entourage got off their butts and drove around Kearny, maybe the roads in tis town would not be in the deplorable condition they are in. Example, please drive along on Davis Ave from West Hudson Park to Midland Ave and tell me what you think. That road looks like a war zone, potholes uneven pavement everywhere. Not sure about you, but if I were to drive into another town and drove through a street which is in the same condition as Davis, I would think the town is a dump. Kearny politicians need to start looking around and realizing that they need to do a better job of fixing the town and keeping it clean, I mean we pay enough taxes as it is. Nice job on fixing Kearny Ave, how about now we concentrate our efforts and tax revenue on the other parts of the town!!!! Maybe install a few garbage cans at bus stops, replant some trees where old ones were cut, and yes maybe repave some streets. As far as I'm concerned Santos and his entourage have been slacking off and I think it's time for a new Mayor. One who cares about this whole town and one who is determined to clean it up and fix it (the entire town), one who is sympathetic to tax payer's requests and who listens. Clearly AL is not!

I love it. Best post I have seen in awhile. And one of the council members live on Davis Ave. so there is no excuse. Al is a ego manic ! Try talking to him and if you DISGREE with him he gets angry. Question him and he is OUTRAGED. Do we need a mayor who is a ego manic??? Check out his full page picture in the Kearny handbooks. You will be convinced..This CIRCUS MUST END.

Guest ajax

OK, now that James is no longer on the council what do you have to say about the persent condition of the streets in town. Not to mention the the Mayors mistake.

Guest Guest 99
OK, now that James is no longer on the council what do you have to say about the  persent condition of the streets in town. Not to mention the the Mayors mistake.

Although I agree that some roads are in disrepair and some are being repaved, my comment was about Jimbo's actions, or lack thereof while on the council. He never championed a cause until the public brought it to the Councils attention. He would then jump on the bandwagon to satisfy his craving for public attention or get his picture in the paper. This has always been his agenda and it appears it always will be. Perhaps someone can tell us how long the sewage problem was going on before Jim decided to be the White Knight (which he wasn't by the way) and save the day.

Why is it if he does so much good, he can't get elected? Not even with the county pols support. Do too many residents know that he has never accomplished anything during his BOE and Town Council terms? What makes anyone think he'll change now? It's all about Jim, as it always was and always will be. :DB););)

Although I agree that some roads are in disrepair and some are being repaved, my comment was about Jimbo's actions, or lack thereof while on the council. He never championed a cause until the public brought it to the Councils attention. He would then jump on the bandwagon to satisfy his craving for public attention or get his picture in the paper. This has always been his agenda and it appears it always will be. Perhaps someone can tell us how long the sewage problem was going on before Jim decided to be the White Knight (which he wasn't by the way) and save the day.

Why is it if he does so much good, he can't get elected? Not even with the county pols support. Do too many residents know that he has never accomplished anything during his BOE and Town Council terms? What makes anyone think he'll change now? It's all about Jim, as it always was and always will be. :D  B)  ;)  ;)

It's all about Jim, as it always was and always will be.

Wrong again. This thread is about the Mayor's attempted cover-up of his latest screw-up. So, what is your opinion on this? Care to share? Or, are you just going to twist it into another swipe at me?

I brought up Park Ave to demonstrate how the Mayor's actions are - according to the Mayor - criminal. This is a totally different situation than the $400,000 mistake in delinquent tax revenue. That was a mistake. That was a case of taking the figure from the wrong line in a report. The Mayor just has to play dumb on this one and he'll stay out of hot water. His only real crime was in not admitting his mistake.

No, this one is different. This one is a deliberate attempt to keep the taxpayers from grabbing their torches and pitchforks in an election year. This one has the Mayor making a false public statement (his Feb 2006 letter to taxpayers) and the CFO making a false statement in certifications to the State.

And your opinion on all of this was what again? I think I missed it.

Jim Mangin

Why is it if he does so much good, he can't get elected? Not even with the county pols support. Do too many residents know that he has never accomplished anything during his BOE and Town Council terms? What makes anyone think he'll change now? It's all about Jim, as it always was and always will be. :D  B)  ;)  ;)

Maybe he "never accomplished anything" because he couldn't even get a second on any of his motions from any of his fellow councilmembers? His latest "jump on the bandwagon" illuminated this town's inability to keep track of simple bills. Maybe he got some publicity about it, but didn't he help shed light on a very big problem in town hall? He doesn't need to run for office because he's doing more as an ex-council member then any of them currently on this governing body.

Guest Guest

Okay, let's assume what you say is true about his motive. I still would like to know if he is right sbout the money issue? It seems it is a while now since the disgraced treasurer went out and then a new gal came in and she didnd't stay either, and the position is still not filled. Makes you wonder. As far as his losing elections, it became clear that a Mangin was not going to win against a Santos given the changes in the population, it's just a fact, the county pols realize this. Although, Saantos has been unable to deliver those votes in numbers to the county. But if Mangin is right, regardless of his motives, we are in trouble.

Guest Ms. K. DeRay

Why is it if he does so much good, he can't get elected? Not even with the county pols support. Do too many residents know that he has never accomplished anything during his BOE and Town Council terms? What makes anyone think he'll change now? It's all about Jim, as it always was and always will be. :lol:  :P  ;)  ;)

If you read my posts from last year you will get a clear picture. I made a appt. to see Santos he stated he would look INTO IT . FIVE YEARS went by only Santos and my council people were aware of it. Mr. Mangin helped when he first learned about it. And that was when I went to the town meeting for the first time.I invited the Mayor and my Council people to come to my home to see how bad this problem was. They NEVER came by. But Mr. Mangin knocked on my door as soon as I made him aware of my problem . Right away Mangin REQUESTED THAT THE RESIDENTS GET RELEIVE. CALLS WERE MADE TO TOP OFFICIALS, LETTERS WENT OUT BY MR. MANGIN. You will see from the records on the town meetings that when I requested a letter to be sent out to a state official Santos clearly stated NO. I would be happy to show you my records.The proof is in black and white that Mr. Mangin was the ONLY ONE THAT HELPED THE RESIDENTS.

Guest Guest

And another truth hater heard from. OK Jim Lie to this guy he only hears what he wants too anyway. Here is the BIG LIE Santos is the best Mayor in the State No The Nation hows that for for fabrication. HEEEELLLLPPPP!

Guest Guest

Wrong again. This thread is about the Mayor's attempted cover-up of his latest screw-up. So, what is your opinion on this? Care to share? Or, are you just going to twist it into another swipe at me?

I brought up Park Ave to demonstrate how the Mayor's actions are - according to the Mayor - criminal. This is a totally different situation than the $400,000 mistake in delinquent tax revenue. That was a mistake. That was a case of taking the figure from the wrong line in a report. The Mayor just has to play dumb on this one and he'll stay out of hot water. His only real crime was in not admitting his mistake.

No, this one is different. This one is a deliberate attempt to keep the taxpayers from grabbing their torches and pitchforks in an election year. This one has the Mayor making a false public statement (his Feb 2006 letter to taxpayers) and the CFO making a false statement in certifications to the State.

Jim Mangin

he wont give his opinion of santos. hes just another puppet who says santos is great, santos is great. I love hearing about all these santos f*ups. keep em coming Jimbo!

Guest Guest 99
If you read my posts from last year you will get a clear picture.  I made a appt. to see  Santos he stated he would look INTO IT . FIVE YEARS went by only Santos and my council people were aware of it. Mr. Mangin helped when he first learned about it. And that was when I went to the town meeting for the first time.I invited the Mayor and my Council people to come to my home to see how bad this problem was. They NEVER came by. But Mr. Mangin knocked on my door as soon as I made him aware of my problem . Right away Mangin REQUESTED THAT THE RESIDENTS GET RELEIVE. CALLS WERE MADE TO TOP OFFICIALS, LETTERS WENT OUT BY MR. MANGIN. You will see from the records on the town meetings that when I requested a letter to be sent out to a state official  Santos clearly stated NO. I would be happy to show you my records.The proof is in black and white that Mr. Mangin was the ONLY ONE THAT HELPED THE RESIDENTS.

Are you now saying that Councilwoman Pettigrew never came to your house? I beleive she was there, but was not allowed entry do to the environmental issues. True?

The Mayor refused your request for a letter to Trenton because you were already in the process of filing a law suit against the town and I know he said something to the affect that it was not the towns place to supply you with material for the suit, but that he would make calls. True? :angry::angry:B)

Guest Ms. K. DeRay
Are you now saying that Councilwoman Pettigrew never came to your house? I beleive she was there, but was not allowed entry do to the environmental issues. True?

The Mayor refused your request for a letter to Trenton because you were already in the process of filing a law suit against the town and I know he said something to the affect that it was not the towns place to supply you with material for the suit, but that he would make calls. True? :angry:  ;)  ;)

Pettigrew came once when the fire dept. responded but could not enter. At a public meeting she did not state it was because of environmental issues. She stated it was because too many fireman were there. She could have knocked on my door the next day. I have nothing against Pettigrew I voted for her. The point is I wanted the mayor and council to see for themselves how BAD THE SITUATION WAS. I did not request information for the lawsuit I wanted a letter to be sent out for the residents to get help.And yes I WANTED A COPY. SANTOS IS THE MAYOR. Congressman Rothman and Mr. Mangin sent letters out and I received copies. And since you are on the council you will know this . Is sad when I had more information on this problem then the mayor. Sorry if certain people do not like when I state Mr. Mangin helped the residents. Iam just telling the truth its in black and white.

Guest guest
Pettigrew came once when the fire dept. responded but could not enter. At a public meeting she did not state it was because of environmental issues. She stated it was because too many fireman were there. She could have knocked on my door the next day. I have nothing against Pettigrew I voted for her. The point is I wanted the mayor and council to see for themselves how BAD  THE SITUATION WAS. I did not request information for the lawsuit I wanted a letter to be sent out for the residents to get help.And yes I WANTED A COPY. SANTOS IS THE MAYOR. Congressman Rothman and Mr. Mangin sent letters out and I received copies. And since you are on the council you will know this . Is sad when I had more information on this problem then the mayor. Sorry if certain people do not like when I state Mr. Mangin helped the residents. Iam just telling the truth its in black and white.

You forgot to mention your neighbor is still not connected.

Guest Guest 99
Pettigrew came once when the fire dept. responded but could not enter. At a public meeting she did not state it was because of environmental issues. She stated it was because too many fireman were there. She could have knocked on my door the next day. I have nothing against Pettigrew I voted for her. The point is I wanted the mayor and council to see for themselves how BAD  THE SITUATION WAS. I did not request information for the lawsuit I wanted a letter to be sent out for the residents to get help.And yes I WANTED A COPY. SANTOS IS THE MAYOR. Congressman Rothman and Mr. Mangin sent letters out and I received copies. And since you are on the council you will know this . Is sad when I had more information on this problem then the mayor. Sorry if certain people do not like when I state Mr. Mangin helped the residents. Iam just telling the truth its in black and white.

So, now your story is that someone from the Council DID come to your house?

And, your statement from your other post, "Mr. Mangin was the ONLY ONE THAT HELPED THE RESIDENTS", is wrong also. Rothman was involved too.

It's funny how the stories change the more we talk about them. ;););)

PS: I am not a member of the Town Council.

Guest Guest 99

Jim Mangin

See, Jim, every time someone is critical of you it's a swipe. But when you are critical of the Mayor, or anyone else for that matter, it must be the gospel. Right?

No one, myself included, has enough information outside of your words, to make an intelligent determination of what happened. True, if we all are to believe you, there are issues and problems at town hall. ;););)

Guest Ms. K. DeRay

And, your statement from your other post, "Mr. Mangin was the ONLY ONE THAT HELPED THE RESIDENTS", is wrong also. Rothman was involved too.

It's funny how the stories change the more we talk about them. ;););)

[i/quote] I should have stated attemped to enter my basement.The next day no one showed up . You think Iam wrong when I stated Mr. Mangin was the only person in Kearny that helped is the TRUTH. MY RECORDS DO NOT LIE. Rothman sent a letter but Mr. Mangin was so concern he did more then write a letter this issue is not a federal problem ITS A TOWN PROBLEM. You know whats real funny some people donot like to hear the truth about the Mayor. Ask the residents that lived with human feces in their basements.While Santos was still LOOKING INTO IT FOR 5 YEARS.And the residents WILL TELL YOU THE TRUTH ONLY MR. MANGIN HELPED US.

Guest Guest99

It's funny how the stories change the more we talk about them. :(;);)

[i/quote] I should have stated attemped to enter my basement.The next day no one showed up . You think Iam wrong when I stated Mr. Mangin was the only person in Kearny that helped is the TRUTH. MY RECORDS DO NOT LIE. Rothman sent a letter but Mr. Mangin was so concern he did more then write a letter this issue is not a federal problem ITS A TOWN PROBLEM. You know whats real funny some people donot like to hear the truth about the Mayor. Ask the residents that lived with human feces in their basements.While Santos was still LOOKING INTO IT FOR 5 YEARS.And the residents WILL TELL YOU THE TRUTH ONLY MR. MANGIN HELPED US.

The real truth is that only by worshipping Santos will you find true enlightenment my child. Come. Join us.

Guest guest

The real truth is that only by worshipping Santos will you find true enlightenment my child. Come. Join us.

Everyone can see this person only wrote to defend Santos. Its horrible people suppose to support residents having problems. It would be a cold day in hell for Ms. DeRay to join you.I understand what she said Rothman was federal and Mangin was the only local official. This poster should go back to the Santos Altar.

Archived