EMS

Guest Curious

Guest Curious

As a new resident of Kearny, I'm surprised to find out the Kearny Fire Dept does not run the EMS. In the town I lived previously, the FD ran the EMS and did a wonderful job. They were all trained as EMT's and the response time was very fast.

It's been proven nationwide that the Fire Dept can run an EMS service more efficiently and economically than any other organization.

Does anyone know why we're not taking advantage of a FD that's on duty 24/7 and can respond on a moments notice ??

Guest Dissapointed in Kearny
As a new resident of Kearny, I'm surprised to find out the Kearny Fire Dept does not run the EMS.  In the town I lived previously, the FD ran the EMS and did a wonderful  job. They were all trained as EMT's and the response time was very fast.

It's been proven nationwide that the Fire Dept can run an EMS service  more efficiently and economically than any other organization.

Does anyone know why we're not taking advantage of a FD  that's on duty 24/7 and can respond on a moments notice ??

Why should they take some responsibility, when they have North Arlington & Harrison services available to them?

The fire dept members are trained. The Kearny FD has more members! Why can't they rotate their shifts and have somebody assigned to the ambulance? If Harrison can do it with a smaller department - WHY CAN'T KEARNY?

Oops, I forgot, Why do that when there are other dept's available!

Mutual aid works well, but what happens when it takes to long for an out-of-town ambulance to get here?

Guest Guest

My only guess is that the towns fathers are to busy "taking advantage" of other things

As a new resident of Kearny, I'm surprised to find out the Kearny Fire Dept does not run the EMS.  In the town I lived previously, the FD ran the EMS and did a wonderful  job. They were all trained as EMT's and the response time was very fast.

It's been proven nationwide that the Fire Dept can run an EMS service  more efficiently and economically than any other organization.

Does anyone know why we're not taking advantage of a FD  that's on duty 24/7 and can respond on a moments notice ??

Guest Guest

Manpower. In Harrison, they are willing to take an engine out of service to man the ambulance. If Kearny takes on this situation, the manpower should be there to handle both jobs.

They are both emergency services, in a perfect world you hope to never need them; in the real world, you want them sitting there waiting to respond.

Guest Guest

Welcome to Kearny!!! If you think the EMS situation is screwed up, well, HOLD ON..................because like that old song "You aint seen nothing yet"

Guest Guest

I have long since wondered the same thing. Firefighters are required to have this training so why isn't it being used. the EMS in Kearny has been burdened by many factors over the years. The politicans just need the you know what to make the change.

Guest Guest
I have long since wondered the same thing. Firefighters are required to have this training so why isn't it being used. the EMS in Kearny has been burdened by many factors over the years. The politicans just need the you know what to make the change.

What has made you "long since wondered"......what are you sick everyday waiting for an ambulance or something??? or maybe you ride a harrison or NA ambulance.....

Guest outside looking in

Guest in the know

How about the fact that they recieve $1500 a year for their ems training in their base salary( hidden from public scrutiny) and pensionable,and yet are unwilling to man the ambulance when there is only one in town.

Who says they are unwilling? Have you asked them?

How about the fact that they recieve $1500 a year for their ems training in their base salary( hidden from public scrutiny) and pensionable,and yet are unwilling to man the ambulance when there is only one in town.

Guest Guest

If your going to throw rocks, make sure your facts are correct. The FD receives no annual monies for ems certification. And how did you arrive at $1500??

Guest Guest

Instead of wasting your time on this board, why not go to a town meeting and ask or call the Kearny EMS and speak to someone in charge there or ask the Fire Chief. Bring your concerns to those who are in a position change it. At least get correct information from someone involved.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest
Instead of wasting your time on this board, why not go to a town meeting and ask or call the Kearny EMS and speak to someone in charge there or ask the Fire Chief.  Bring your concerns to those who are in a position change it.  At least get correct information from someone involved.

Simple no new Union Contract until they agree. First we have to throw Santos & BCS out on their ass before anything can get done with KFD

Guest correction
Wrong!!!!!!!!!! :P  :P  :P  :P  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I'm sorry, I ment the officers recently arbitrated contract, awarded "THE OFFICERS" $300 A year for 5 years for EMS and put it into their base salary( $1500 total). Also this makes it pensionable and now the town must contribute 16 % of this figure yearly towards this pension. THAT'S A FACT - JACK.

Guest Mr. Productivity Pay

The firefighters, fire officers, and fire chief all have additional monies for ems. Call it what you will but you get it, and you get it every year. Just because it was rolled into your base pay and it is not visible dose not mean its not there. Look at last contract compared to current contract and you will see.

Mr. Productivity Pay

Guest Guest
The firefighters, fire officers, and fire chief all have additional monies for ems.  Call it what you will but you get it, and you get it every year.  Just because it was rolled into your base pay and it is not visible dose not mean its not there.  Look at last contract compared to current contract and you will see.

Mr. Productivity Pay

The Fire Chief does EMS work? Wow!!!

Guest Guest
I'm sorry, I ment the officers recently arbitrated contract, awarded "THE OFFICERS" $300 A year for 5 years for EMS and put it into their base salary( $1500 total). Also this makes it pensionable and now the town must contribute 16 % of this figure yearly towards this pension. THAT'S A FACT - JACK.

Your facts leave a Lot to be desired.....Fact #1, the town's contribution would be 8 1/2 percent, NOT 16..of course that would be if the town was acutally MAKING It's contributions, which it hasnt been for several years now, thanks to Frmr Gov McGreevey

Guest correction again
Your facts leave a Lot to be desired.....Fact #1, the town's contribution would be 8 1/2 percent, NOT 16..of course that would be if the town was acutally MAKING It's contributions, which it hasnt been for several years now, thanks to Frmr Gov McGreevey

i'm sorry, but i think the employee contributes 8.5 and the employer contributes 16 %.

Guest New To Kearny
Whether the town is supposed to pay 8 1/2 or 16% is irrelevant, for 6 years, they have paid ZEROOOO percent.

I see that The Harrison FD runs an EMS and from everything I hear, is very efficient.

My question is, why isn't The Kearny FD doing the same ?? Don't our residents and taxpayers deserve the same high level of service ??

Guest Studies and Observations
i'm sorry, but i think the employee contributes 8.5 and the employer contributes 16 %.

Nope, did some checking with a friend on the PD, who told me that, (and i confirmed it on the NJ PFRS website) the Employer matches the employees contribution.. the TOTAL contribution is actually 17% (8 1/2 + 8 1/2)....well they WOULD, but the Town hasnt made ANY payments in years. This sort of thing is rather amusing, or it would be if the facts werent so completely misreported by some people. There was a letter to the editor in the Ledger a few weeks back screaming about how Municipal cops were getting sweetheart deals on their pensions..and then outlining the pension plan that the Port Authority used, rather than the actual pension system for police and firefighters in NJ. ..one other thing is they take someone's gross salary and base their pension projection on THAT..not realizing (or caring) that Pensions are based (in NJ, and for cops and firefighters) on their Base pay ONLY, Not on any average of the last whatever number of years gross pay. Let's say an Officer makes $100,000.00 in his last year. Is his Pension going to be based on THAT amount? the answer is no. It will be based on his BASE pay, which might be closer to $65,000.. It's all Spin. The politicians blame the Employees for the tax increases, but conveneintly ignore their own overspending, and fiscal irresponsibility.

Guest guest Ghost Writer
I see that The Harrison FD runs an EMS and from everything I hear, is very efficient.

My question is, why isn't The Kearny FD doing the same ??  Don't our residents and taxpayers deserve the same high level of service ??

They dont want to get their hands dirty! Honestly, If a much smaller department can handle not 1, but 2 ambulances, why can't KFD? How foolish!

KFD has many more members and firehouses to cover the town! Half the time - they don't even bother to dispatch KFD when HFD has to respond to an EMS job! This would have KFD as a First Responder. The person needing assistance would at least have someone there to try and help until the ambulance arrives. It is pretty sad when HFD members have to ask if KFD has been dispatched to a Kearny scene!

The town of Kearny was paying EMTAC $1,000/day to provide coverage. If KFD ran the ambulances they could bill insurance, medicare etc. just like HFD!

:huh: Turn it into a way to generate revenue!

The Mayor and council should be ashamed! I hope one of their relatives is not the one waiting for an out-of-town ambulance in their time of need! :(

Archived