What will $40,000,000 buy ??

Guest Disgusted Town Resident

Guest Disgusted Town Resident

Following the goings-on here, I am struck by this $40,000,000 bond issue to clean up the proposed stadium site. I have to wonder what could have been done with this $40,000,000 to improve the quality of life of Harrison residents instead of contributing to the success of a foreign owned soccer team.

We have kids attending classes in trailers and that situation is only going to get worse with all the new housing units going in. Some of that 40 million could build a new grammar school . The P.D. is in need of a modern H.Q. , some of that 40 million could have provided that.

With so many quality of life issues facing Harrison, it seems to me that money could have been spent more wisely.

I think the concept of a stadium being the focal point of a redevelopment project is totally misguided. This stadium will sit vacant most of the daytime hours when surrounding businesses will be open. So what's the attraction ??

That 40 million could have contributed to a "green belt" in the redevelopment area with restaurants and cafes, wide paths with benches, trees and grass. A parking area would draw shoppers. A big, empty stadium won't do this !!

With so many ways this money could have been spent, it makes me wonder how much the mayor and council care about the needs of our citizens.

Guest guest
Following the goings-on here, I am struck by this $40,000,000 bond issue to clean up the proposed stadium site.  I have to wonder what could have been done with this $40,000,000 to improve the quality of life of Harrison residents instead of contributing to the success of a foreign owned soccer team.

We have kids attending classes in trailers and that situation is only going to get worse with all the new housing units going in. Some of that 40 million could build a new grammar school . The P.D. is in need of a modern H.Q. , some of that 40 million could have provided that.

With so many quality of life issues facing Harrison, it seems to me that money could have been spent more wisely.

I think the concept of a stadium being the focal point of a redevelopment project is totally misguided. This stadium will sit vacant most of the daytime hours when surrounding businesses will be open. So what's the attraction ??

That 40 million could have contributed to a "green belt" in the redevelopment area with restaurants and cafes, wide paths with benches, trees and grass. A parking area  would draw shoppers. A big, empty stadium won't do this !!

With so many ways this money could have been spent, it makes me wonder how much the mayor and council care about the needs of our citizens.

You are 100% right, the only thing this 40 million is buying is a duplicate of the Newark Bears Stadium. How about a roller skating rink, a bowling alley, movie house, (daily income) (jobs) something for the kids, somewhere they can go instead of turning to drugs and gangs, there is nothing for these kids. The burger king was supposed to open up jobs for harrison, I have been there a few times and I have seen 1 kid that I know lives in town?? but then again you don't see anyone you know anymore.

Following the goings-on here, I am struck by this $40,000,000 bond issue to clean up the proposed stadium site.  I have to wonder what could have been done with this $40,000,000 to improve the quality of life of Harrison residents instead of contributing to the success of a foreign owned soccer team.

That 40 million could have contributed to a "green belt" in the redevelopment area with restaurants and cafes, wide paths with benches, trees and grass. A parking area  would draw shoppers. A big, empty stadium won't do this !!

WHERE DID YOU COME FROM?

DID YOU JUST MOVE HERE YESTERDAY?

This town has been doing stupid things like this for years.

All we need to know is how to stop all this s--t when the town council votes like robots and there is never any viable candidates to run for office to replace these idiots. This may be just the tip of the iceburg can you imagine all the things going on that we don't know about?

Guest Guest

MOVE

Guest Guest

Why doesn't anyone talk about all of the 2 family homes being built? Why aren't any 1 family homes going up or staying up for that matter? The mayor wants people to stay in town especially the workers, but where is everyone supposed to live? In a $500,000 brand new 2 family house that CG or JB built, no thanks! Who can afford that?!

Guest Sleepless In Harrison
Why doesn't anyone talk about all of the 2 family homes being built?  Why aren't any 1 family homes going up or staying up for that matter?  The mayor wants people to stay in town especially the workers, but where is everyone supposed to live?  In a $500,000 brand new 2 family house that CG or JB built, no thanks!  Who can afford that?!

Between all the redevelopment housing units and the 2 & 3 family homes being built on undersized lots, it won't be long before our schools are just rediculously overcrowded. Add to that the parking situation that constantly gets worse and worse. Every new 2 & 3 family house that goes up adds 3 or more cars to the streets which are already crowded with cars.

This mayor and council seem to have this build-build mentality. Is it their goal to build a multiple dwelling on every square-foot of land ??

I wonder if this mayor and council will stay in Harrison when they retire, or will they decide they can't take the noise, overcrowding and traffic that they created.

Guest ***!!!!***

what about all the open spaces for the children of Harrison to enjoy this wonderful redevelopment? or will they be leisurely walking and shopping all day? was any of that negotiated for? what about land acqusition for town structures and facilities (ie; fire, police maintenance garages, community center, etc. [ are we all going to squeeze down FER blvd when we need to utilize a town service]) new access roads, widening of roads, upgrades to deteriorating aged infrastructure and what about senior housing - true senior housing and services? did anyone negotiating on Harrison's side think to include any of that? has anyone thought about all the components that make a TOWN just that? maybe, but that would have been a sure deal killer. better to let future Harrisonians figure their way out of that mess.

oh, i almost forgot - and pay for it as well. because those of us who call Harrison "home" now will most surely not be able to afford life here, let alone enjoy it. i know i haven't fully thought this through and i could have better researched the issue, but it's just a rant on a website. i can't help but feel this whole redevelopment got the same treatment. big difference however.

Guest Harrison Resident
Why doesn't anyone talk about all of the 2 family homes being built?  Why aren't any 1 family homes going up or staying up for that matter?  The mayor wants people to stay in town especially the workers, but where is everyone supposed to live?  In a $500,000 brand new 2 family house that CG or JB built, no thanks!  Who can afford that?!

You are absolutely 100% correct. It wouldn't be that bad if these 2 family homes, were only being used as that. Soon after being built, they suddenly become 3 and/or 4 family homes. When this is reported to the powers that be, nothing is done about it. If Harrison only enforced all of the rules and ordinances that are in place alot of this would not be taking place.

THEY ARE DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THE PARKING PROBLEM.

HAVEN'T YOU NOTICED ALL THE PRETTY NEW YELLOW CURBS AND THE EXTENDED NO PARKING AREAS.

NOT TO MENTION THE RESERVED PARKING PLACES FOR THE POLICE VEHICLES, AND COURT EMPLOYEES?

THEN THEY HIRED THOSE PEOPLE TO DRIVE AROUND IN THE THREE WHEELED SCOOTERS TO GIVE US ALL TICKETS AT THE NEW AND IMPROVED FINE RATES.

YEP THIS POLITICAL GANG ARE ACUTELY ATTUNED TO THE NEEDS OF ITS' CITIZENRY, ..................OR MAYBE NOT.

"And then they came for me, and there was nobody left to speak up for me"

Guest guest
You are absolutely 100% correct. It wouldn't  be that bad if these 2 family homes, were only being used as that.  Soon after being built, they suddenly become 3 and/or 4 family homes.  When this is reported to the powers that be,  nothing is  done about it.  If Harrison only enforced all of the rules and ordinances that are in place alot of this would not be taking place.

OTHER TOWNS ARE TEARING DOWN SMALL-ROO, OLDER HOUSES AND BUIDLING LARGE -SIZE ROOM MACMANSIONS. WHY ARE WE TEARING SMALL AVERAGE SIZE ROOM HOUSES AND BUILDING TINY-ROOM MIN-DOLL HOUSES THAT WON'T

COME-ON, LET'S AMEND THE TOWN ORDINACE TO PERMIT ONLY RESONABLY SIZED HOUSES AND NO TIGHT, SMALL-RROOM HOUSES THAT DON'T FIT A WHOLE SET OF FURNITURE COMFORTABLY WITH ROOM FOR THE PEOPLE AND VISITORS TO WALK AROUND IN WITHOUT BUMPING INTO THE FURNITURE.

A BEDROOM OFTEN HAS A QUEEN/KING SIZE BED, 2 NIGHT TABLES, HIS/HER DRESSERS, HOPECHEST AND MAYBE A CHAIR OR COMPUTER DESK OR TV STAND OR EXTRA CLOSET.

Look at the pictures of bedroom and living rooms sets in the magazines. Could they fit comfortably into the rooms of these 'new' houses being built in Harrison?

Guest Guest

you can't build a macmansions on a 25 by 100 lot, houdinni unless you can do it with mirrors. kearny property lots are much larger than harrisons' so the homes are larger.

Guest GUEST
you can't build a macmansions  on a 25 by 100 lot,  houdinni  unless you can do it with mirrors.  kearny property lots are much larger than harrisons' so the homes are larger.

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT the LARGER KEARNY PROPERTIES. I'm talking about 'TEARING DOWN "AVERAGE SIZE" ROOM, OLDER HOUSES and 'PUTTING UP 2 (TWO) NEW HOUSES ON the 'SAME' SIZE LOT THAT HAD PREVIOUSLY HELD ONLY 1(one) HOUSE before.

One house on a lot = AVERAGE SIZE ROOMS

Two house on the 'same size' lot = SMALLER SIZE ROOMS

THAT WAS THE POINT THAT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE. I'M SORRY IF I HADN'T EXPLAINED IT CLEARLY BEFORE.

only Houdinni would be able to make 2 new houses on a lot that 'previously held only 'one' house, have the SAME SIZE rooms as the pre-existing house that was torn down! The SINGLE OLDER HOUSES that were torn down, were "NOT" ON 25 BY 100 LOTS

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT the LARGER KEARNY PROPERTIES. I'm talking about 'TEARING DOWN "AVERAGE SIZE" ROOM, OLDER HOUSES and 'PUTTING UP 2 (TWO) NEW HOUSES ON the 'SAME' SIZE LOT THAT HAD PREVIOUSLY HELD ONLY 1(one) HOUSE before.

One house on a lot = AVERAGE SIZE ROOMS

Two house on the 'same size' lot = SMALLER SIZE ROOMS

THAT WAS THE POINT THAT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE. I'M SORRY IF I HADN'T EXPLAINED IT CLEARLY BEFORE.

only Houdinni would be able to make 2 new houses on a lot that 'previously held only 'one' house, have the SAME SIZE rooms as the pre-existing house that was torn down! The SINGLE OLDER HOUSES that were torn down, were "NOT" ON 25 BY 100 LOTS

Sounds Like an issue that would be presented to the following board and it's members:

Zoning Board

Erik Brachman

Ronald Catrambone

Eugene J. Gilmore

Gabriela V. Simoes

Jorge Torres

Lily Wang

Dennis Woods

Next Zoning Board Meeting: Wed. April 19; 7:00pm; Town Hall; 2nd Floor

Archived