MANGIN GETS IT!

Guest Guest

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article fails to mention one very important fact. The Mayor and Council borrowed $3.2 million in bond anticipation notes in Feb. 2005. The notes came due in Feb. 2006 with no money appropriated to pay them off. So, they were renewed for another year and are now due in Feb. 2007.

To borrow money via bond anticpation notes, you need a bond ordinance. What the article fails to mention is that the bond ordinances that this $3.2 million was borrowed for go back to 1997!

That means that in 1997 Mayor Vartan and the Town Council adopted a bond ordinance, but didn't borrow the full amount of the ordinance. So Mayor Santos borrowed the rest.

Likewise, in 1998 and 1999 Mayor McIntyre and the Town Council adopted bond ordinances but didn't borrow the full amount for those projects either (DPW equipment, Police Dept. communication system). So Mayor Santos borrowed the rest.

My question to the Mayor was when will this new debt be paid off? His answer was in the next bond sale, slated for 2009.

That means that in 2009 the Town of Kearny will sell 20 year bonds (to be redeemed by 2029) for projects that originated in 1997. In 2009 Kearny taxpayers will be finished paying off debt originated in the Vartan administration, and perpetuated in the Santos administration.

The Mayor's love affair with bond ordinances continues - even those started by previous administrations.

Jim Mangin

ps - You can't make this stuff up.

Guest Guest
The article fails to mention one very important fact. The Mayor and Council borrowed $3.2 million in bond anticipation notes in Feb. 2005. The notes came due in Feb. 2006 with no money appropriated to pay them off. So, they were renewed for another year and are now due in Feb. 2007.

To borrow money via bond anticpation notes, you need a bond ordinance. What the article fails to mention is that the bond ordinances that this $3.2 million was borrowed for go back to 1997!

That means that in 1997 Mayor Vartan and the Town Council adopted a bond ordinance, but didn't borrow the full amount of the ordinance. So Mayor Santos borrowed the rest.

Likewise, in 1998 and 1999 Mayor McIntyre and the Town Council adopted bond ordinances but didn't borrow the full amount for those projects either (DPW equipment, Police Dept. communication system). So Mayor Santos borrowed the rest.

My question to the Mayor was when will this new debt be paid off? His answer was in the next bond sale, slated for 2009.

That means that in 2009 the Town of Kearny will sell 20 year bonds (to be redeemed by 2029) for projects that originated in 1997. In 2009 Kearny taxpayers will be finished paying off debt originated in the Vartan administration, and perpetuated in the Santos administration.

The Mayor's love affair with bond ordinances continues - even those started by previous administrations.

Jim Mangin

no one cares jim. now shut up.

Guest guest right
Maybe you hit the nail on the head. no one does care and that makes for the final nail in the coffin for any town.  How very sad.

Its sad when people are jealous. You have to give credit to Mangin he speaks up and tells the truth.

Guest Guest
Maybe you hit the nail on the head. no one does care and that makes for the final nail in the coffin for any town.  How very sad.

Oh their going to care all right, I'll bet it will be when they get the tax bill. The Mayor is a child and totally out of control. Man , you clowns in the third ward, always listening to CJD and voteing for the wonderkin never did the town any good. Lets see NAD is judge,and Ferraioli got his water Dept. back and your all paying for it now. What's next the third quater, ho ho merry I'm outa money.

Jim Mangin

Sorry - my mistake!

I missed my own typo. This sentence should read - In 2029 Kearny Taxpayers will be finished paying off debt originated in the Vartan administration, and perpetuated in the Santos administration."

Sorry again.

Jim Mangin

no one cares jim. now shut up.

Wrong. A lot of people care. There aren't nearly as many short-sighted individuals in Kearny as you, or the Mayor may think.

Under Mayor Santos our annual debt service payments are already about $1.6 million higher than before he became mayor. In 2009 our scheduled debt service was going to drop slightly and give taxpayers at least some small relief.

Except now Mayor Santos has revealed that 2009 will see another bond sale. This way he can postpone debt service for one year (the year he is up for re-election) and then pay substantially higher annual payments after that. He's "banking" on people like you to either not notice, or not care.

Anyone who plans to stay in Kearny for at least the next 5-10 years should pay close attention to what's going on.

Jim Mangin

Guest Guest
Wrong. A lot of people care. There aren't nearly as many short-sighted individuals in Kearny as you, or the Mayor may think.

Under Mayor Santos our annual debt service payments are already about $1.6 million higher than before he became mayor. In 2009 our scheduled debt service was going to drop slightly and give taxpayers at least some small relief.

Except now Mayor Santos has revealed that 2009 will see another bond sale. This way he can postpone debt service for one year (the year he is up for re-election) and then pay substantially higher annual payments after that. He's "banking" on people like you to either not notice, or not care.

Anyone who plans to stay in Kearny for at least the next 5-10 years should pay close attention to what's going on.

Jim Mangin

Your right Jim, the mayor is just doing peter to pay paul so he stays in office. This guy is something else.

Guest Guest

Jim Mangin

Jim,

There is no viable canddidate to oppose Santos. You may be one, but you cannot win without a substantial organization of people behind you that knows how to run a campaign. Who knows when to get the press releases out, who knows where you should walk and why stays on top of the campaign 24 -7. Those types in the Democratic party are long gone and I just don't see anyone else on the horizon. An entire townwide ticket with county committee in all district in all 4 wards has to be put together. Not to mention the money needed and since Santos is now behaving himself and is controled by the c ounty by reason of his employment, they won't kick in so there you have it. Sadly, it's not gonna happen any day soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Jim Mangin

more info please

Guest madtaxpayer
Are you that mad at Mangin?

Mangin would get my vote...Santos is a fraud..and a bad one at that.......I'm tired of paying 8 Grand in taxes for services that are non-existent.....And the BOE is always looking for money...It's so easy to live off the back of taxpayers...Santos and the council must go....along with the BOE...

Guest Guest 1
Mangin would get my vote...Santos is a fraud..and a  bad one at that.......I'm tired of paying 8 Grand in taxes for services that are non-existent.....And the BOE is always looking for money...It's so easy to live off the back of taxpayers...Santos and the council must go....along with the BOE...

then make sure you get yourself out to vote in the school bd. election. vote out the incumbent Jean McKeown and vote for all new people and no on the budget and then when it goes to the Mayor and gang to be restored, go to the meeting and complain. No one ever complains so they get no bad publicity and at this rate you could be stuck with all of them for a long time.

Guest Guest

Jim,

I'm glad to see you're still asking questions. I believe in the two party system and when the government is made up of all one party, as in Kearny, it's not good. They become arrogant. Questioning keeps people honest and diverse opinions often lead to good judgments. This is just my observation.

Jim,

I'm glad to see you're still asking questions. I believe in the two party system and when the government is made up of all one party, as in Kearny, it's not good. They become arrogant. Questioning keeps people honest and diverse opinions often lead to good judgments.  This is just my observation.

Which is meaningless and irrelevant.

Guest Ba** Buster
Jim,

I'm glad to see you're still asking questions. I believe in the two party system and when the government is made up of all one party, as in Kearny, it's not good. They become arrogant. Questioning keeps people honest and diverse opinions often lead to good judgments.  This is just my observation.

Very astute. I think most people in Kearny still believe in the two party system. They just believe harder (and in larger numbers) in the Democratic Party. Same Democratic Party Mr. Mangin claims to be a member of. Just my observation.

Archived