ROADS

Guest NJD

I was just wondering , what the hell does the Mayor of Kearny do all day. My guess, not much. The reason I say this is that if the Mayor, and all his entourage got off their butts and drove around Kearny, maybe the roads in tis town would not be in the deplorable condition they are in. Example, please drive along on Davis Ave from West Hudson Park to Midland Ave and tell me what you think. That road looks like a war zone, potholes uneven pavement everywhere. Not sure about you, but if I were to drive into another town and drove through a street which is in the same condition as Davis, I would think the town is a dump. Kearny politicians need to start looking around and realizing that they need to do a better job of fixing the town and keeping it clean, I mean we pay enough taxes as it is. Nice job on fixing Kearny Ave, how about now we concentrate our efforts and tax revenue on the other parts of the town!!!! Maybe install a few garbage cans at bus stops, replant some trees where old ones were cut, and yes maybe repave some streets. As far as I'm concerned Santos and his entourage have been slacking off and I think it's time for a new Mayor. One who cares about this whole town and one who is determined to clean it up and fix it (the entire town), one who is sympathetic to tax payer's requests and who listens. Clearly AL is not!

Guest second ward agrees
I was just wondering , what the hell does the Mayor of Kearny do all day. My guess, not much. The reason I say this is that if the Mayor, and all his entourage got off their butts and drove around Kearny, maybe the roads in tis town would not be in the deplorable condition they are in. Example, please drive along on Davis Ave from West Hudson Park to Midland Ave and tell me what you think. That road looks like a war zone, potholes uneven pavement everywhere. Not sure about you, but if I were to drive into another town and drove through a street which is in the same condition as Davis, I would think the town is a dump. Kearny politicians need to start looking around and realizing that they need to do a better job of fixing the town and keeping it clean, I mean we pay enough taxes as it is. Nice job on fixing Kearny Ave, how about now we concentrate our efforts and tax revenue on the other parts of the town!!!! Maybe install a few garbage cans at bus stops, replant some trees where old ones were cut, and yes maybe repave some streets. As far as I'm concerned Santos and his entourage have been slacking off and  I think it's time for a new Mayor. One who cares about this whole town and one who is determined to clean it up and fix it (the entire town), one who is sympathetic to tax payer's requests and who listens. Clearly AL is not!

I love it. Best post I have seen in awhile. And one of the council members live on Davis Ave. so there is no excuse. Al is a ego manic ! Try talking to him and if you DISGREE with him he gets angry. Question him and he is OUTRAGED. Do we need a mayor who is a ego manic??? Check out his full page picture in the Kearny handbooks. You will be convinced..This CIRCUS MUST END.

Guest Guest
I was just wondering , what the hell does the Mayor of Kearny do all day. My guess, not much. The reason I say this is that if the Mayor, and all his entourage got off their butts and drove around Kearny, maybe the roads in tis town would not be in the deplorable condition they are in. Example, please drive along on Davis Ave from West Hudson Park to Midland Ave and tell me what you think. That road looks like a war zone, potholes uneven pavement everywhere. Not sure about you, but if I were to drive into another town and drove through a street which is in the same condition as Davis, I would think the town is a dump. Kearny politicians need to start looking around and realizing that they need to do a better job of fixing the town and keeping it clean, I mean we pay enough taxes as it is. Nice job on fixing Kearny Ave, how about now we concentrate our efforts and tax revenue on the other parts of the town!!!! Maybe install a few garbage cans at bus stops, replant some trees where old ones were cut, and yes maybe repave some streets. As far as I'm concerned Santos and his entourage have been slacking off and  I think it's time for a new Mayor. One who cares about this whole town and one who is determined to clean it up and fix it (the entire town), one who is sympathetic to tax payer's requests and who listens. Clearly AL is not!

Don't forget the smooth ride down Belgrove Drive from Midland Ave to Bergen Ave

Guest Guest

You should drive down Stewart between Morgan and Argyle. The crater goes for almost the whole way, it's like an earthquake split the street. <_<

Guest Pete the Paver

Are you trying to say that the roads and other infrastructure got to this point during the Santos Administration? Pal, it took decades of neglect and mismangement to get to this stage. At least this guy and his council have a road plan in place and are doing the repairs in an orderly way. The infrastructure repairs also include sewer separations and water main repairs before the streets can be paved. At least now Kearny is a work in progress, but years of decay can't be fixed or financed in a day or even a few years. And stop complaining about taxes. It could be worse you could live in Harrison where taxes, water and sewer fees keep rising even though they have the Abbott advantage.

Guest Guest
Are you trying to say that the roads and other infrastructure got to this point during the Santos Administration?  Pal, it took decades of neglect and mismangement to get to this stage.  At least this guy and his council have a road plan in place and are doing the repairs in an orderly way.  The infrastructure repairs also include sewer separations and water main repairs before the streets can be paved.  At least now Kearny is a work in progress, but years of decay can't be fixed or financed in a day or even a few years.  And stop complaining about taxes.  It could be worse you could live in Harrison where taxes, water and sewer fees keep rising even though they have the Abbott advantage.

Yes the roads did get to this point during the Santos Administration. Even if they didn't he has been here long enough to do something about it. Daily driving on these roads damage your car. It's like driving through an obstacle course to avoid them. The roads in Harrison are better and what do you think that our sewer bills won't go up next. If they can do it so can he. It's just a matter of time. This town needs some competition in the mayoral department to ensure that the peoples needs are met.

Guest Guest
Are you trying to say that the roads and other infrastructure got to this point during the Santos Administration?  Pal, it took decades of neglect and mismangement to get to this stage.  At least this guy and his council have a road plan in place and are doing the repairs in an orderly way.  The infrastructure repairs also include sewer separations and water main repairs before the streets can be paved.  At least now Kearny is a work in progress, but years of decay can't be fixed or financed in a day or even a few years.  And stop complaining about taxes.  It could be worse you could live in Harrison where taxes, water and sewer fees keep rising even though they have the Abbott advantage.

First of all I don't live in Harrison or any other town, I live in Kearny and alsways have, so whatever they do in other towns is of no importance to me. Second, I do not ever remember the streets of kearny being in the shape they are in, add to that the filth on the streets and sidewalks, (well except for Kearny Ave) and anyone's first impression is that Kearny is a dump.

I understand that things take time especially repaving, but it would be great to at least install some garbage cans at bus stops outside of Kearny Ave for example, at least some of the garbage would end up in them.

Also maybe the sweepers they use to clean the sidewalks of Kearny Ave can be used on sidewalks on other streets, like Davis Ave, Belgrove etc...And maybe some more trees can be planted where others were cut, some streets for example Hoyt St. between Devon and Davis is a prime example of a tree that could use some tree planting.

I believe that the Mayor can do a better job, that's why I pointed out that maybe he and his entourage can get on their cars and or take some walks around town to see what some of the streets (outside of Kearny Ave) lack. All I have seen during his administration is investment on Kearny Ave(by the way I thought it was the home owners responsibility to repave the sidewalk, my sidewalk can use some repaving Mayor Santos), while other streets and neighborhoods are neglected.

Let's look at the stretch of road between Harrison and Kearny along West Hudson Park. When was the last time this was repaved, I have never seen that stretch of road repaved, now whose responsibility that is a big mistery, but all I know is that one of these days someone will get hit by a car, due to the holes and cracks that force vehicles to swerve when driving through there, and I think that is sad.

As far as I'm concerned Kearny needs a Mayor who drives through the town and notices what is needed, and personally I don't think Mayor Santos and his entourage do that.

Guest Guest 99
First of all I don't live in Harrison or any other town, I live in Kearny and alsways have, so whatever they do in other towns is of no importance to me. Second, I do not ever remember the streets of kearny being in the shape they are in, add to that the filth on the streets and sidewalks, (well except for Kearny Ave) and anyone's first impression is that Kearny is a dump.

I understand that things take time especially repaving, but it would be great to at least install some garbage cans at bus stops outside of Kearny Ave for example, at least some of the garbage would end up in them.

Also maybe the sweepers they use to clean the sidewalks of Kearny Ave can be used on sidewalks on other streets, like Davis Ave, Belgrove etc...And maybe some more trees can be planted where others were cut, some streets  for example Hoyt St. between Devon and Davis is a prime example of a tree that could use some tree planting.

I believe that the Mayor can do a better job, that's why I pointed out that maybe he and his entourage can get on their cars and or take some walks around town to see what some of the streets (outside of Kearny Ave) lack. All I have seen during his administration is investment on Kearny Ave(by the way I thought it was the home owners responsibility to repave the sidewalk, my sidewalk can use some repaving Mayor Santos), while other streets and neighborhoods are neglected.

Let's look at the stretch of road between Harrison and Kearny along West Hudson Park. When was the last time this was repaved, I have never seen that stretch of road repaved, now whose responsibility that is a big mistery, but all I know is that one of these days someone will get hit by a car, due to the holes and cracks that force vehicles to swerve when driving through there, and I think that is sad.

As far as I'm concerned Kearny needs a Mayor who drives through the town and notices what is needed, and personally I don't think Mayor Santos and his entourage do that.

You can't be that concerned or you would have found the answers to some of your issues very easily. The sweepers used on Kearny Ave. were purchased with UEZ funds, so can only be used in UEZ areas. Same with the sidewalks. They were part of the streetscape project in the UEZ.

Anyone who has lived in Kearny for more than a month knows the West Hudson Park road belongs to the county and is in Harrison, not Kearny, so either way we can not repair it.

You want more trash cans, call the DPW. You want more trees? Call the DPW, get in touch with the Beautification Committee or pay for one yourself through the Adopt a Tree Program.

There now, you have your answers. Now get yourself to the next council meeting and speak up. ;););)

Guest Guest

That's right, I had to pave my sidewalk. Why did the town have to pay to make Kearny Ave look like little Newark. Why didn't the mayor take those bricks and make a community/recreation center for the children. No one wants to shop on Kearny Ave people are afraid of being mugged by all the gangsters and homeys. Kearny Ave will look like a dump until you get all of the loitering teens off of it. ;)

Guest Guest
That's right, I had to pave my sidewalk.  Why did the town have to pay to make Kearny Ave look like little Newark.  Why didn't the mayor take those bricks and make a community/recreation center for the children.  No one wants to shop on Kearny Ave people are afraid of being mugged by all the gangsters and homeys.  Kearny Ave will look like a dump until you get all of the loitering teens off of it. ;)

I have to add my two cents to this post... I was walking down Kearny Ave. last Saturday morning, early... and was so disturbed by all the trash and garbage thrown about on the newly done beautification project. I also could not believe that from Afton Ave. to Bergan, every planter that is lined on the sidewalk had the trees pulled out of the dirt. This is a disgrace!!!!!! I feel that money was wasted on this beautification project because the immigrants and trash from Newark are moving in here and distroying our little town. and guess who is allowing it to happen.... WE ARE !!!!! it really is a shame, that our town is coming to this... where are all the cops when you have a group of hoodlums on the Ave. ripping out the trees, throwing the garbage around.. my guess would be that they are afraid of these menaces........ or something would be done. When I was growing up in Kearny, my generation were not allowed to just hang with a group of undesirables, we were chased and the cops always followed through.

Guest Guest
You should drive down Stewart between Morgan and Argyle.  The crater goes for almost the whole way, it's like an earthquake split the street.  :angry:

Fixing potholes will not help the Morgan to Argyle,

it needs resurfaceing with new material.

Guest Guest
I have to add my two cents to this post...  I was walking down Kearny Ave. last Saturday morning, early...  and was so disturbed by all the trash and garbage thrown about on the newly done beautification project.  I also could not believe that from Afton Ave. to Bergan, every planter that is lined on the sidewalk had the trees pulled out of the dirt.  This is a disgrace!!!!!!  I feel that money was wasted on this beautification project because the immigrants and trash from Newark are  moving in here and distroying our little town.  and guess who is allowing it to happen.... WE ARE !!!!!  it really is a shame, that our town is coming to this... where are all the cops when you have a group of hoodlums on the Ave. ripping out the trees, throwing the garbage around.. my guess would be that they are afraid of these menaces........  or something would be done.  When I was growing up  in Kearny, my generation were not allowed to just hang with a group of undesirables, we were chased and the cops always followed through.

You think the mayor cares? that's a laugh! The only thing the mayor cares about is the mayor. It's to late for your little town , the way it was when we grew up is in the past and we can thank our elected officials for it. Keep your children close and watch out for the gangs like ms13, this is an invasion and no one cares. Start getting togeather and let your voice be heard. Save what you can. Now is the time!

The Mayor's road plan is not so much a plan but a number of bond ordinances to borrow the money to make some road repairs. A real road plan would include a recurring funding source (budget appropriation, grant, Transportation Trust Fund, etc.). It would also include a ranking of the worst streets in priority order and then funding those steets according to need.

We can't just keep borrowing money for street repaving. How many more years can this go on? Evenutally we'll reach our borrowing limit and there will be no money left after principle and interest payments to make any repairs.

Jim Mangin

Guest Pete the Paver
The Mayor's road plan is not so much a plan but a number of bond ordinances to borrow the money to make some road repairs. A real road plan would include a recurring funding source (budget appropriation, grant, Transportation Trust Fund, etc.). It would also include a ranking of the worst streets in priority order and then funding those steets according to need.

Jim Mangin

Gee, why didn't the Mayor & Council think of that? Oh, wait a minute! They did! Mr. Mangin should really try to be more original.

Guest 1st Warder
Gee, why didn't the Mayor & Council think of that?  Oh, wait a minute!  They did!  Mr. Mangin should really try to be more original.

The reason why Belgrove Drive got paved from Johnson Avenue on up was because Jimmy Morejon ran against Torres and made it an issue. Mayor Santos promised that the street would be paved if Torres won and he kept his promise. Jimmy Morejon should run in the wards where the streets are bad and the Mayor will get the street paved for a vote. I'm still waiting for the old bat factory to be demolished. Why does that place continue to look like the aftermath of War World II and nobody does anything about it? Morejon run again maybe Mayor Santos will address that problem once your elected.

Guest Team Player
The reason why Belgrove Drive got paved from Johnson Avenue on up was because Jimmy Morejon ran against Torres and made it an issue.  Mayor Santos promised that the street would be paved if Torres won and he kept his promise.  Jimmy Morejon should run in the wards where the streets are bad and the Mayor will get the street paved for a vote. I'm still waiting for the old bat factory to be demolished.  Why does that place continue to look like the aftermath of War World II and nobody does anything about it?  Morejon run again maybe Mayor Santos will address that problem once your elected.

Mr. Morejon is a nice guy, but you give him way too much credit. Belgrove was done according to a published repaving schedule that was in place long before the election that year. The "bat factory" is a part of the Passaic Avenue Redevelopment Zone. Several proposals for its return to productive use are being considered by the M&C. Don't you keep up on things?

Guest Team Player
Yes the roads did get to this point during the Santos Administration.  Even if they didn't he has been here long enough to do something about it.  Daily driving on these roads damage your car.  It's like driving through an obstacle course to avoid them.  The roads in Harrison are better and what do you think that our sewer bills won't go up next.  If they can do it so can he.  It's just a matter of time.  This town needs some competition in the mayoral department to ensure that the peoples needs are met.

Can you name the streets that have been improved during Santos' Administration? Of course not. If you think the roads in Harrison are better, then you haven't read the Harrison forum. Think our "sewer" bills will be going up? Shows how much you know. We don't get a sewer bill.

There has been competition in mayoral races before. I think Pete McIntyre, Ed Callaghan, John Leadbeater, John Campbell and Jim Mangin all ran against him, but I guess no one wants to take a chance on being the next one to lose to Santos.

Guest guest
Can you name the streets that have been improved during Santos' Administration?  Of  course not.  If you think the roads in Harrison are better, then you haven't read the Harrison forum.  Think our "sewer" bills will be going up?  Shows how much you know.  We don't get a sewer bill.

There has been competition in mayoral races before.  I think Pete McIntyre, Ed Callaghan, John Leadbeater, John Campbell and Jim Mangin all ran against him, but I guess no one wants to take a chance on being the next one to lose to Santos.

No we do not get a sewer instead residents in Kearny get sewer water in their basements.Santos put us in debt. And he keeps going borrowing, borrowing .TAXES Up up !!

Guest Townsman
You can't be that concerned or you would have found the answers to some of your issues very easily. The sweepers used on Kearny Ave. were purchased with UEZ funds, so can only be used in UEZ areas. Same with the sidewalks. They were part of the streetscape project in the UEZ.

Anyone who has lived in Kearny for more than a month knows the West Hudson Park road belongs to the county and is in Harrison, not Kearny, so either way we can not repair it.

You want more trash cans, call the DPW. You want more trees? Call the DPW, get in touch with the Beautification Committee or pay for one yourself through the Adopt a Tree Program.

There now, you have your answers. Now get yourself to the next council meeting and speak up. :lol:  :lol:  ;)

Now there is the answer I always like to hear and it was right on que!!!!

BUY IT YOURSELF!!!!! Just like do it yourself. Pay a gazillion dollars in taxes and the answer is always the same by some idiots.

Guest 1st Warder
Mr. Morejon is a nice guy, but you give him way too much credit.  Belgrove was done according to a published repaving schedule that was in place long before the election that year.  The "bat factory" is a part of the Passaic Avenue Redevelopment Zone.  Several proposals for its return to productive use are being considered by the M&C.  Don't you keep up on things?

Morejon is not just a nice guy he's a very well respected young man. I give him credit for getting the street paved no matter what the Santonists say. Too bad he lost to Torres who as Morejon predicted quit as soon as his mom let him. The Mayor should have picked up free agent Morejon when Torres up and quit. Morejon would have served the 1st ward well. Morejon should run again and pick another street that needs to be paved. Who are our council people now?

As far as the redevelopment of the bat factory. The Town should start with condeming the building that's an eyesore. The Town should not let that building stand it's an eyesore and detracts from Kearny's appeal. It's the first thing people see when they enter Kearny from the South. The Mayor has dropped the ball on this issue. Whoever owns the property must be politically connected.

Guest guest
Can you name the streets that have been improved during Santos' Administration?  Of  course not.  If you think the roads in Harrison are better, then you haven't read the Harrison forum.  Think our "sewer" bills will be going up?  Shows how much you know.  We don't get a sewer bill.

There has been competition in mayoral races before.  I think Pete McIntyre, Ed Callaghan, John Leadbeater, John Campbell and Jim Mangin all ran against him, but I guess no one wants to take a chance on being the next one to lose to Santos.

OK you got me, we don't get a sewer bill we get a water bill. The Harrison forum says nothing about the conditions of the streets. I was born and raised in this town and things are only getting worse, not better. It used to be a nice place to live. The only thing Santos has lost is his hair, and his attempt at a six figure mayor salary.

Guest Guest
Now there is the answer I always like to hear and it was right on que!!!!

BUY IT YOURSELF!!!!!  Just like do it yourself.  Pay a gazillion dollars in taxes and the answer is always the same by some idiots.

I offered the Adopt-A-Tree Program as a third option if people want more trees. It's a good program where you can choose from 5 or 6 types of trees you would like planted in front of you home and the town will deliver and plant it for you.

I actually thought I did pretty well answering the posters questions for an idiot. If you don't agree, you have that right, but isn't name calling a little childish.

By the way, I believe the word you were trying to use is "cue". People living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. :lol::lol:;)

Guest NJ Monthly Subscriber
I was born and raised in this town and things are only getting worse, not better.  It used to be a nice place to live. 

I disagree with you and so does New Jersey Monthly. Out of nearly 600 NJ municipalities, the magazine chooses its top 100 places to live based on a varied criteria. Kearny ranked #68. Rah, rah, rah!

Guest In the Know
Morejon is not just a nice guy he's a very well respected young man.  I give him credit for getting the street paved no matter what the Santonists say. Too bad he lost to Torres who as Morejon predicted  quit as soon as his mom let him.  The Mayor should have picked up free agent Morejon when Torres up and quit.  Morejon would have served the 1st ward well.  Morejon should run again and pick another street that needs to be paved. Who are our council people now?

As far as the redevelopment of the bat factory.  The Town should start with condeming the building that's an eyesore.  The Town should not let that building stand it's an eyesore and detracts from Kearny's appeal.  It's the first thing people see when they enter Kearny from the South.  The Mayor has dropped the ball on this issue.  Whoever owns the property must be politically connected.

I guess you don't know Santos. He would never pick anyone that was ever against him or that he didn't pick. He would never trust them. His paranoia and need for total control wouldn't let him.

Guest Guest 21
I disagree with you and so does New Jersey Monthly.  Out of nearly 600 NJ municipalities, the magazine chooses its top 100 places to live based on a varied criteria.  Kearny ranked #68.  Rah, rah, rah!

I would like to know the last time they visited Kearny. I doubt it was recently.

Archived