Harrison/Athletics/Schools/Need for Change

Guest Peter

Guest Peter

Harrison Athletics, like its academics, is a joke. There is no teaching. The adminstration should just throw small balls and equipment out and pray to God that no one gets killed. The teachers. like the "coaches" provide the students with paper and pencil and create the image of teaching. But, there is no teaching. Harrison has had some student athletes. However, those kids would have made it anywhere. Harrison did not create and/or facilitate these kids growth. Rather, they just happended to go to Harrison. I attended HHS and I can assure you, without hestitation, besides having a good time, it did absolutely nothing for me in terms of an education. The state should take over, stop the nepotism, fire the incompetent, and, maybe, just maybe, the Schools will be saved. Or perhaps, the "redeveopment" will occur and the investors will take over this pathetic administration and town council and make some real change.

Harrison is about ten miles from NYC, has a Path station to NYC, and looks like a Ghetto.

Harrison Athletics, like its academics, is a joke.  There is no teaching.  The adminstration should just throw small balls and equipment out and pray to God that no one gets killed.  The teachers. like the "coaches" provide the students with paper and pencil and create the image of teaching.  But, there is no teaching.  Harrison has had some student athletes.  However, those kids would have made it anywhere.  Harrison did not create and/or facilitate these kids growth.  Rather, they just happended to go to Harrison.  I attended HHS and I can assure you, without hestitation, besides having a good time, it did absolutely nothing for me in terms of an education.  The state should take over, stop the nepotism, fire the incompetent, and, maybe, just maybe, the Schools will be saved.  Or perhaps, the "redeveopment" will occur and the investors will take over this pathetic administration and town council and make some real change. 

Harrison is about ten miles from NYC, has a Path station to NYC, and looks like a Ghetto.

I also attended Harrison High School, and I must disagree with you, because I received a proper education.

It all depends on if the student applies themselves. If the student just wants to breeze by and not give a damn, then he or she will not learn. But if they're like myself, and actually want to go somewhere in life like I am, then they will apply themselves and go somewhere. Don't knock the instructional staff, if you think you can do better, then go into the teaching field - that is if you have a degree in something, which you might not, since HHS didn't teach you.

Guest Guest

Oh my God how true. I drive through Harrison every once in a while and I just can't believe how Harrison has changed. I also graduated from HHS 25 years ago and moved out of town 10 years ago. I didn't want my children to go to school in Harrison. I wanted them to have a better education than I did. I can't believe how much the town has changed. How sad.

Guest Guest
Harrison Athletics, like its academics, is a joke.  There is no teaching.  The adminstration should just throw small balls and equipment out and pray to God that no one gets killed.  The teachers. like the "coaches" provide the students with paper and pencil and create the image of teaching.  But, there is no teaching.  Harrison has had some student athletes.  However, those kids would have made it anywhere.  Harrison did not create and/or facilitate these kids growth.  Rather, they just happended to go to Harrison.  I attended HHS and I can assure you, without hestitation, besides having a good time, it did absolutely nothing for me in terms of an education.  The state should take over, stop the nepotism, fire the incompetent, and, maybe, just maybe, the Schools will be saved.  Or perhaps, the "redeveopment" will occur and the investors will take over this pathetic administration and town council and make some real change. 

"BESIDES HAVING A GOOD TIME" I think that says it all about your little rant.Maybe you should have focussed on your education instead of having a good time.Harrison manages to produce outstanding student athletes in every area.

There are alumni that are doctors,lawyers,accountants ,teachers ,policeman ,fireman almost every field .you may not know this but we do.There are athletes that have succeeded at every level.But as in life and every field of endeavor you are only as good as the raw material you have to work with .in education it is a colaborative effort of student ,parents,teacher/coach.If one of the parties doesn't hold up their end the strugle becomes harder.

you my friend sound like one of the "blame someone else" society.It sounds like you didn't feast on the banquet of life ..You only ate the sour grapes

Guest Disgrace

I think the total needs a total makeover. The people who run the town, the teachers who "teach" our children are a total disgrace. What the officials need to do is spend more time cleaning up the streets and store fronts, make it look presentable not like you are driving through the ghetto. It's an absolute disgrace and I find myself thinking that I am ashamed to say where I am from. The town looks like a big dump. Are tax dollars are paying high salaries for people who are suppose to run the street department and keep the streets clean - people wake up

Guest guest

YES LIKE EVERY OTHER TOWN CHANGES TO. SCHOOL IS WHAT YOU MAKE OUT OF IT. I HAVE A SENIOR IN THE CLASS OF 2006 YES HARRISON HAS CHANGED AND SO HAS THE TOWN BUT MY DAUGHTER IS HONOR ROLL AND IS IN THE DRAMA CLUB,HISTORY CLUB,SHE IS A PEER LEADER,ENGLISH CLUB ,YEARBOOK CLUB,ART CLUB,PLAYS TENNIS FOR HARRISON AND IS ON THE SWIM TEAM ALSO SHE WORKS PART TIME..I WENT ALL THROUGH THESE SCHOOLS BORN AND RAISED HERE 50 YEARS OF AGE.AND ARE STILL HERE YOUR CHILDREN HAVE TO MAKE THE BEST OF ANY SCHOOL THEY GO TO JUST NOT IN HARRISON.PARENTS HAVE BE INVOLVED IN SCHOOL ACTIVITIES IN WHICH THERE KIDS ARE CONCERNED.HARRISON NOT ONLY CHANGED BUT SO DID OTHER OTHER TOWNS BUT WHY?DO YOU COME BACK IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT.STAY OUT.

Guest Guest
YES LIKE EVERY OTHER  TOWN CHANGES TO. SCHOOL IS WHAT YOU MAKE OUT OF IT. I HAVE A SENIOR IN THE CLASS OF 2006 YES HARRISON HAS CHANGED AND SO HAS THE TOWN BUT MY DAUGHTER IS HONOR ROLL AND IS IN THE DRAMA CLUB,HISTORY CLUB,SHE IS A PEER LEADER,ENGLISH CLUB ,YEARBOOK CLUB,ART CLUB,PLAYS TENNIS FOR HARRISON AND IS ON THE SWIM TEAM ALSO SHE WORKS PART TIME..I WENT ALL THROUGH THESE SCHOOLS BORN AND RAISED HERE 50 YEARS OF AGE.AND ARE STILL HERE YOUR CHILDREN HAVE TO MAKE THE BEST OF ANY SCHOOL THEY GO TO JUST NOT IN HARRISON.PARENTS HAVE  BE INVOLVED IN SCHOOL  ACTIVITIES IN WHICH THERE KIDS  ARE CONCERNED.HARRISON NOT ONLY CHANGED BUT SO DID OTHER OTHER TOWNS BUT WHY?DO YOU COME BACK IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT.STAY OUT.

The best and brightest of Harrison left it long ago.

Guest Guest

Sorry to say, but it's not the street dept that's not keeping the town clean, its the store owners. Do you every look in some of the store windows? I don't know how people buy anything the stores are filthy. They should be given a summons to clean them up. The really live likes pigs.

Guest Great

That is great that your daughter is excelling in HHS but how many of our honor students would do well in a more challenging school system. Yes it is up to the individual as to how well they do but Harrison offers the minimal of courses, nothing challenging there.

As far as the store fronts, you are correct, the town is not responsible for how the stores keep up but the streets are dirty and the town is dreary looking.

TIME FOR A CHANGE

Guest Guest
YES LIKE EVERY OTHER  TOWN CHANGES TO. SCHOOL IS WHAT YOU MAKE OUT OF IT. I HAVE A SENIOR IN THE CLASS OF 2006 YES HARRISON HAS CHANGED AND SO HAS THE TOWN BUT MY DAUGHTER IS HONOR ROLL AND IS IN THE DRAMA CLUB,HISTORY CLUB,SHE IS A PEER LEADER,ENGLISH CLUB ,YEARBOOK CLUB,ART CLUB,PLAYS TENNIS FOR HARRISON AND IS ON THE SWIM TEAM ALSO SHE WORKS PART TIME..I WENT ALL THROUGH THESE SCHOOLS BORN AND RAISED HERE 50 YEARS OF AGE.AND ARE STILL HERE YOUR CHILDREN HAVE TO MAKE THE BEST OF ANY SCHOOL THEY GO TO JUST NOT IN HARRISON.PARENTS HAVE  BE INVOLVED IN SCHOOL  ACTIVITIES IN WHICH THERE KIDS  ARE CONCERNED.HARRISON NOT ONLY CHANGED BUT SO DID OTHER OTHER TOWNS BUT WHY?DO YOU COME BACK IF YOU DO NOT LIKE IT.STAY OUT.

Trust me I only come back to visit my family. I would never think of raising my children or having my children go to Harrison High. I do agree with you as far as school is what you make out of it. I also was in the Drama Club, Yearbook, Swim Team, Cheerleader, and numerous clubs. I did go to college and I am successful however, I am and your daughter is the minority not the majority. You are lucky.

Guest guest
Sorry to say, but it's not the street dept that's not keeping the town clean, its the store owners. Do you every look in some of the store windows? I don't know how people buy anything the stores are filthy. They should be given a summons to clean them up. The really live likes pigs.

I agree the town should impliment standards for the business owners and their property. The town looks like trash because of all these ghetto bodegas. Who cares about street lamps when the stores on the streets look like crap. :rolleyes:

Guest Guest
I agree the town should impliment standards for the business owners and their property.  The town looks like trash because of all these ghetto bodegas.  Who cares about street lamps when the stores on the streets look like crap. ;)

Yeah, the people who own these businesses and don't reside here, should be responsible for the appearance of their stores, restaurants, driveways, etc. If they would have kept things nice then maybe we wouldn't have needed redevelopment. Out with the old and in with the new. ;) It is time for a change and that change is coming.

Guest coach

Listen...If you don't like it, get involved yourself, otherwise...shut up!!!

Archived