Kearny Business Failure

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Seeing that there is no real Municipal plan. The so called Planning Board is a joke, what do the resident of Kearny have in mind as to what this town going to look like in five or ten years. To start there will be no money the town will be broke. The schools will be overcrowded services will also be none existent. The real estate boon we are seeing will also dry up if something isn't done quickly. First thing we need is ratable business. This free wheeling spending has to stop now. WE need to bring the budget and what is affordable in to consideration replacing employees that retire shouldn't happen. Kearny needs leadership this rudderless boat we're all in just isn't working Joe's got to go taking the jerks that hired him with him can we throw the Mayor off the planning board if not we need to get the US Attorney involved to many variances are given out with the stacking issues that our schools are looking at down the road in fact the problems are already here will be so overwhelming we be like Newark in the sixties after the riots.

Guest Guest
Seeing that there is no real Municipal plan. The so called Planning Board is a joke, what do the resident of Kearny have in mind as to what this town going to look like in five or ten years. To start there will be no money the town will be broke. The schools will be overcrowded services will also be none existent. The real estate boon we are seeing will also dry up if something isn't done quickly. First thing we need is ratable business. This free wheeling spending has to stop now. WE need to bring the budget and what is affordable in to consideration replacing employees that retire shouldn't happen. Kearny needs leadership this rudderless boat we're all in just isn't working Joe's got to go taking the jerks that hired him with him  can we throw the Mayor off the planning board if not we need to get the US Attorney involved to many variances are given out with the stacking issues that our schools are looking at down the road in fact the problems are already here will be so overwhelming we be like Newark in the sixties after the riots.

Too late. You had your chance in November. Now stop with these silly posts. Or, as Mary T. would tell you, "kiss my ass!"

Guest Former resident
Seeing that there is no real Municipal plan. The so called Planning Board is a joke, what do the resident of Kearny have in mind as to what this town going to look like in five or ten years. To start there will be no money the town will be broke. The schools will be overcrowded services will also be none existent. The real estate boon we are seeing will also dry up if something isn't done quickly. First thing we need is ratable business. This free wheeling spending has to stop now. WE need to bring the budget and what is affordable in to consideration replacing employees that retire shouldn't happen. Kearny needs leadership this rudderless boat we're all in just isn't working Joe's got to go taking the jerks that hired him with him  can we throw the Mayor off the planning board if not we need to get the US Attorney involved to many variances are given out with the stacking issues that our schools are looking at down the road in fact the problems are already here will be so overwhelming we be like Newark in the sixties after the riots.

As Phil Caputo put it at the VFW after his loss to CJD, YOUR ALL F#%KED. Sad but true. Good by Kearny you were a great town once.

Guest Studies and Observations

Yes, the Town is in trouble, but you CANT put it all at the feet of Santos. The problem goes back decades, and can be summed up in 2 words. South Kearny. South Kearny has been treated as the redheaded stepchild for years, the infrastructure has been neglected, to the point where the roads look like washboards. There is no business interest in South Kearny because the Town has never bothered to care enough, Considering its location, and the potential it once had Kearny should have the loewst Property Taxes in North NJ, But because the Town has done NOTHING to encourage businesses to stay here, or others to move here, We are in the Bind we are. In fact, look at ALL of the Business areas..Sellers St is in the same condition as South Kearny, and i'll bet we'll see more and more vacant businesses as they move to Towns where their tax dollars at least get them basic services and infrastructure.

I agree with your analysis on South Kearny, but clearly much of the blame has to be placed on Mayor Santos. His policies have exploited the businesses in South Kearny more than any previous administration. He treats South Kearny, the KMUA, the Water Dept. and (to some extent the Board of Ed) as entities to borrow money. The cash flows in now. Paying it off is a problem for another day. No other Mayor used as much revenue from businesses in South Kearny to plug the holes in the municipal budget. And his policies remain unchecked.

In a recent post regarding the KMUA I outlined some of my problems with the Mayor's South Kearny policies . . .

Jim Mangin

You're saying the Mayor and Council are taking responsibility for the KMUA by becoming the KMUA. And you call that accountability? Accountable to who? The KMUA commissioners should be looking to see that the authority is run profitably. This way the taxpayers aren't left holding the bag if they go under. How profitable is it if the Mayor and Council S**K $620,000 in user fees to plug yet another hole in the municipal budget? Doesn't the KMUA share in the responsiliblity for keeping the businesses in South Kearny from moving? Doesn't the Town Council also share in this responsilbity? I think so.

Just imagine you own a business in South Kearny. Now, consider this:

In 2002 the Town faced a budget deficit. In response, Mayor Santos sold the Town's sewer line to the KMUA. No problem there, it was the recommendation of an independent study the Council commissioned. But Santos took it a step further and also charged the KMUA for 14 years of back rent. Where did the money come from? South Kearny businesses.

In 2003 the Town approved a 15 year contract renewal with Comcast for cable service. When I pressed Comcast to cable South Kearny as well, Santos and Castano sided with Comcast and said they didn't have to. Now, any business in South Kearny that wants a cable internet connection has to wait 15 years for the next contract renewal. Who suffers? South Kearny businesses.

In 2004 Santos and Co. hit the businesses in South Kearny with a second water rate increase in just two years.

In 2005 Santos and Co. draw $620,000 from the KMUA to plug a budget gap. Where did that $620,000 come from?

Again, South Kearny businesses.

The KMUA, among other things, has a responsibility to be a voice of the South Kearny businesses. Sadly that voice is just an echo of the Santos administration.

Last one out of South Kearny - turn out the lights.

Jim Mangin

ps - I forgot. You mentioned Walmart. Let me ask you. Will businesses like Walmart stay if Santos is allowed to continue his destructive South Kearny policies unchecked? I don't think so.

Guest Guest
Yes, the Town is in trouble, but you CANT put it all at the feet of Santos.  The problem goes back decades, and can be summed up in 2 words. South Kearny.  South Kearny has been treated as the redheaded stepchild for years, the infrastructure has been neglected, to the point where the roads look like washboards.  There is no business interest in South Kearny because the Town has never bothered to care enough,  Considering its location, and the potential it once had Kearny should have the loewst Property Taxes in North NJ, But because the Town has done NOTHING to encourage businesses to stay here, or others to move here, We are in the Bind we are.  In fact, look at ALL of the Business areas..Sellers St is in the same condition as South Kearny, and i'll bet we'll see more and more vacant businesses as they move to Towns where their tax dollars at least get them basic services and infrastructure.

After all these terms in office I think you can lay the blame at the feet of Santos.

Guest Third Ward resident
I agree with your analysis on South Kearny, but clearly much of the blame has to be placed on Mayor Santos. His policies have exploited the businesses in South Kearny more than any previous administration. He treats South Kearny, the KMUA, the Water Dept. and (to some extent the Board of Ed) as entities to borrow money. The cash flows in now. Paying it off is a problem for another day. No other Mayor used as much revenue from businesses in South Kearny to plug the holes in the municipal budget. And his policies remain unchecked.

In a recent post regarding the KMUA I outlined some of my problems with the Mayor's South Kearny policies . . .

Jim Mangin

Jim,

You have pointed out the obvious years ago and the bill is about to be paid this year and even worst next year, years to follow. I looked on KOTW and found the letter to the editor going back two years (March 5, 2004) where you predict what is happening now. Very few believed you because they were under the spell of Santonism soon we taxpayers will be paying for our lack of attention. Here is the link http://www.kearnyontheweb.com/mangin%20let...%2003052004.pdf

Santos has no real plan. The UEZ has done nothing. South Kearny languishes. NJ Transit did not hold public meetings but the Mayor did nothing about it and when he did he settled for a fake public hearing (they had taken the tracks out you think they were going to put them back). Try the case and lose you would have at least had an appeal to take. He should have been marching in the streets and demanding NJ Transit's chief's head for taking out a mass transit hub. Everyone else is getting light rail... Newark, Belleville, Union City, West New York, Jersey City, Hoboken. What does Kearny get, their historic train pulled out. The tracks and right of way are there. Mayor petition your friend Menendez for some money to convert it to a light rail link to Union City, West New York, Hoboken and New York City. Mayor Santos isn't a leader he is a follower. He's a lawyer who does not practice law. That tells you a lot.

Jim, start your campaign for Mayor now. Maybe in 4 years (or is it 3 now) people will hear what you have to say.

Guest Guest
After all these terms in office I think you can lay the blame at the feet of Santos.

The problems existed Long before he came into Office, and they will exist long after he is gone. Take a ride through South Kearny sometime..but you'd better be in a Truck or SUV because your car wont survive the roadways. How many companies will want to set up in a place where their employees can't even get to work because the potholes are bigger than their cars?? None of the mayors in the past 20 years have done anythign with SouthKearny..the only thing that even came close was the Paving that was done for the 1994 World Cup when River Terminal was used as sattelite parking..and THAT was only done because Whitman was embarassed by the conditions, and only the areas getting on and off of Rt 1&9 were paved..just enough to make it look good, not enough to matter. Dont get me wrong, Santos hasnt helped things..but it all happnened before his watch ever started.

Guest Guest

Jim Mangin

Don't forget to take your share of the blame Jim.

Archived