Expensive Education

Guest 2smart4u

Guest 2smart4u

$16,000 per student, per year !! Amazing !! Where else but Harrison would it cost $16,000 to educate a kid in a trailer.

Consider the following: $16,000 a year per kid.

180 school days a year.

That's about $90. per day, per kid.

In a classroom of 26 kids, thats about $2,340. PER DAY, PER KID !!

In a classroom of 26 kids, that's $368,000 per school year !!

If the teacher's salary and benefits is maybe $80,000, that leaves $288,000.

Can it cost $288,000 in administrative costs PER CLASSROOM (or trailer) !!

Citizens of Harrison, you are paying for A FIRST CLASS EDUCATION by anyone's standards.

Now consider the test results you just read about in the newspaper.

$16,000 per student, per year !!  Amazing !!  Where else but Harrison would it cost  $16,000 to educate a kid in a trailer.

Consider the following:  $16,000 a year per kid.

180 school days a year.

Can it cost  $288,000 in administrative costs PER CLASSROOM (or trailer) !!

Citizens of Harrison, you are paying for A FIRST CLASS EDUCATION by anyone's standards.

Si, thanks you fer splaining thats to me! :lol:

In a classroom of 26 kids, thats about $2,340. PER DAY, PER CLASSROOM !!

In a classroom of 26 kids, that's $368,000 per school year!!  PER CLASSROOM !!

!!

If the teacher's salary and benefits is maybe $80,000, that leaves $288,000 PER CLASSROOM !!

HOLLY COW ROBIN

THATS A WHOLE LOTTA BAT MONEY?

WHERE DOES THE MAYOR PUT IT ALL?

1 Classroom = $288,000 ? X 40 CLASSROOMS IN SCHOOL =$11,520,000

$$11,520,000/ SCHOOL

$16,000 per student, per year !!  Amazing !!  Where else but Harrison would it cost  $16,000 to educate a kid in a trailer.

180 school days a year.

Can it cost  $288,000 in administrative costs PER CLASSROOM (or trailer) !!

None of the classes have 26 students in them, so adjust your figures.

Guest HHS Alum

180 school days a year.

Your math is off. $2340 per classroom, per day. Multiply that by 180, then you get about $420k per classroom per year, much more than $368k. (or we could have taken the easy route, multiply 16k by 26 and get 416k.)

I get your point though. Either way, its a shitload of money for that kind of education.

Guest 2smart4u
Your math is off.  $2340 per classroom, per day. Multiply that by 180, then you get about $420k per classroom per year, much more than $368k. (or we could have taken the easy route, multiply 16k by 26 and get 416k.)

I get your point though. Either way, its a shitload of money for that kind of education.

I stand corrected. I should have used my calculator. You made my point more compelling, thanks.

Guest HHS Grad
None of the classes have 26 students in them, so adjust your figures.

Well, Excussssse me, Mr. Harrison. I sure he was using that number as an average. Of course the number of students vary from classroom to classroom. It's so easy to sit back and criticize, and you seem to be good at it.

Guest Another HHS Alum
Your math is off.  $2340 per classroom, per day. Multiply that by 180, then you get about $420k per classroom per year, much more than $368k. (or we could have taken the easy route, multiply 16k by 26 and get 416k.)

WOW !! $416,000 minus $80,000 salary and benefits = $336,000. $336,000 in administrative costs per classroom !! OUTRAGEOUS !! How in the world could it possibly cost $336,000 per classroom in administrative costs. At these prices, Harrison should be pumping out Rhodes Scholars, not kids that are the laughing stock of the county.

Guest Taxpayer,Across the State
WOW !!    $416,000  minus $80,000 salary and benefits = $336,000.  $336,000  in administrative costs per classroom !!  OUTRAGEOUS !!  How in the world could it possibly cost $336,000  per classroom in administrative costs. At these prices, Harrison should be pumping out Rhodes Scholars, not kids that are the laughing stock of the county.

I don't find it funny that the Town of Harrison is allowed to waste money in this way. That Town is being kept by the rest of the State including my taxes.

I am not in the know about The Board of Education of Harrison. I can surmise though, that the school system is a grabbag for all the politically connected in the community.

The State should should investigate the Harrison school system. Something is radically wrong ,if the numbers they put forth are correct. The State should take all actions necessary to correct the problems.

Taxpayer, Across the State

Guest HHS Alum

So now the question is: Why?

Some have mentioned, I think in a different thread though, that the rented trailers are the cause. Is this correct? What was spending per pupil in 2004 and 2003?

It's not unusual for 'urban' communities to outspend better performing schools because the students have different needs, i.e special ed, bilingual ed, etc. However because this is Harrison we are talking about, I can't help but feel there are some big salaries at the top bloating the budget.

I would love to see a breakdown.

For that kind of money, the Harrison schools 'SHOULD' meet the standards of an elite, prestigous, private prep school!!!

Instead of sitting behind a computer screen, why don't you all petition the council to get the Board of Education elected instead of being appointed by the Mayor?

I believe we might be the only Board left out of the other 12 in the county that isn't elected, but I could be wrong.

Guest 2smart4u
Instead of sitting behind a computer screen, why don't you all petition the council to get the Board of Education elected instead of being appointed by the Mayor? 

I believe we might be the only Board left out of the other 12 in the county that isn't elected, but I could be wrong.

Harrison's problems are based in it's form of government. Harrison is the ONLY town I know of in NJ that does not have a Business Administrator. When a town doesn't have a Business Administrator, the Mayor makes the financial decisions. In Harrison, the mayor has a plumbing background. A Business Administrator would have a background in business and finances, most have a masters degree. You decide, has Harrison suffered because of it's lack of a professional Business Administrator ??

Another problem is the Board of Education. Harrison has an APPOINTED Board of Education. Virtually EVERY town in NJ has an ELECTED Board of Education. When a town has an elected Board of Ed. , better qualified individuals get elected, the voters can compare resumes' and decide on the best candidate. When mayors appoint members, you all know what happens; brother's in law, cousins, friends and neighbors get on the board. And since they are all beholding to the mayor, well, you all know what happens.

Another problem is the council meetings. Harrison is the ONLY town I know of in NJ that does not have a public session when residents can ask any question relating to the town.

It all comes down to CONTROL. Without a Business Administrator, the mayor CONTROLS the purse strings, without an elected board of education, the mayor CONTROLS the board of education, without a public session at council meetings, the mayor CONTROLS what is said at council meetings.

If the taxpayers of Harrison were more politically active, they could organize and force the town to join the rest of the country in the 21st century. Sadly, I don't see that happening.

Amen, Mr. Harrison!! Why aren't we electing our Board of Education? We used to a long time ago........but then that right was taken away.........we're good enough to pay 23% of the school budget but not good enough to have a say as to who sits on the board.

By the way.........Guttenburg and Bayonne also have appointed boards. So 3 out of 12 ain't bad!

Guest Angry Taxpayer
Harrison's problems are based in it's form of government.  Harrison is the ONLY town I know of in NJ that does not have a Business Administrator. When a town doesn't have a Business Administrator, the Mayor makes the financial decisions.  In Harrison, the mayor has a plumbing background. A Business Administrator would have a background in business and finances, most have a masters degree. You decide, has Harrison suffered because of it's lack of a professional Business Administrator ??

Another problem is the Board of Education.  Harrison has an APPOINTED Board of Education.  Virtually EVERY town in NJ has an ELECTED Board of Education. When a town has an elected Board of  Ed. , better qualified individuals get elected, the voters can compare resumes' and decide on the best candidate. When mayors appoint members, you all know what happens; brother's in law, cousins, friends and neighbors get on the board. And since they are all beholding to the mayor, well, you all know what happens.

Another problem is the council meetings. Harrison is the ONLY town I know of in NJ that does not have a public session when residents can ask any question relating to the town.

It all comes down to CONTROL.  Without a Business Administrator, the mayor CONTROLS the purse strings, without an elected board of education, the mayor CONTROLS the board of education, without a public session at council meetings, the mayor CONTROLS what is said at council meetings.

If the taxpayers of Harrison were more politically active, they could  organize and force the town to join the rest of the country in the 21st century. Sadly, I don't see that happening.

BINGO !! "CONTROL" is the operative word here. The aim of the mayor and council is to keep the residents in the dark as much as possible. Closed council meetings, no voter referendum on a $40,000,000 spending plan, no professional Business Administrator to manage the town, appointed Board of Education, these are all part of the "CONTROL" policy of this mayor and council.

I just wish the taxpayers would open their eyes and see what's going on. I don't understand why the taxpayers in Harrison aren't outraged over the way they've been mistreated and disrespected. The mayor and council decide to spend $40,000,000 of taxpayer money without asking the taxpayers opinion, and it doesn't raise an eyebrow in town ?? Try that in any suburban Essex towns and they would be circulating recall petitions on the mayor and council. There would be overflow crowds at council meetings demanding resignations. But in Harrison, we just go on with our daily lives and behave like the sheep that we are.

BINGO !!   "CONTROL"  is the operative word here. The aim of the mayor and council is to keep the residents  in the dark as much as possible.  Closed council meetings, no voter referendum on a $40,000,000 spending plan, no professional Business Administrator to manage the town, appointed Board of Education, these are all part of the "CONTROL" policy of this mayor and council.

I just wish the taxpayers would open their eyes and see what's going on. I don't understand why the taxpayers in Harrison  aren't outraged over the way they've been mistreated and disrespected.  The mayor and council decide to spend $40,000,000 of taxpayer money without asking the taxpayers opinion, and it doesn't raise an eyebrow in town ??  Try that in any suburban Essex towns and they would be circulating recall petitions on the mayor and council. There would be overflow crowds at council meetings demanding resignations.  But in Harrison, we just go on with our daily lives and behave like the sheep that we are.

Shame on the FBI, it's time they simply took the Mayor out. He has a ***** *** heading up the ****** ***** and they simply let that happen. How long will it take to take him out.

KOTW Note: The above post was edited for content.

Harrison's problems are based in it's form of government.  Harrison is the ONLY town I know of in NJ that does not have a Business Administrator. When a town doesn't have a Business Administrator, the Mayor makes the financial decisions.  In Harrison, the mayor has a plumbing background. A Business Administrator would have a background in business and finances, most have a masters degree. You decide, has Harrison suffered because of it's lack of a professional Business Administrator ??

Another problem is the Board of Education.  Harrison has an APPOINTED Board of Education.  Virtually EVERY town in NJ has an ELECTED Board of Education. When a town has an elected Board of  Ed. , better qualified individuals get elected, the voters can compare resumes' and decide on the best candidate. When mayors appoint members, you all know what happens; brother's in law, cousins, friends and neighbors get on the board. And since they are all beholding to the mayor, well, you all know what happens.

It all comes down to CONTROL.  Without a Business Administrator, the mayor CONTROLS the purse strings, without an elected board of education, the mayor CONTROLS the board of education, without a public session at council meetings, the mayor CONTROLS what is said at council meetings.

If the taxpayers of Harrison were more politically active, they could  organize and force the town to join the rest of the country in the 21st century. Sadly, I don't see that happening.

Until 12 yrs. ago, under Mayor Rodgers, 'EVEN" then, we had an "OPEN" no 'topic' or 'time limit' open public session at the town hall meetings and I've seen them last until 10 pm or longer.

In order for someone not to have the 'excuse' that unlimited speaking time will keep the meeting going til midnight; a 15 min. time limit could be placed in order to give a person time enugh to state his views and still end the meeting by 11pm or so.

[/quot

You are wrong. Mayor Smith and his band of puppets also changed the board of ed from elected to appointed. Look at their scores! One of the appointed members stated in the Journal that the low scores were related to "a lot of smart kids moved out of the district" in a short period. If this wasn't so sad, I'd probably wet myself laughing from their stupidity. The state better do something with this incredible amount of money being spent to produce nit wits!!

Until 12 yrs. ago, under Mayor Rodgers, 'EVEN" then, we had an "OPEN" no 'topic' or 'time limit' open public session at the town hall meetings and I've seen them last until 10 pm or longer.

In order for someone not to have the 'excuse' that unlimited  speaking time will keep the meeting going til midnight;  a 15 min. time limit could be placed in order to give a person time enugh to state his views and still end the meeting by 11pm or so.

So what? The town and schools sucked back then also.

Guest Angry Taxpayer
Abott District

Why not try to rape the state of all it's Money.

I don't understand why the state allows Harrison to borrow $40,000,000 to help the Metrostars. A town qualifies for state aid under the Abott Program because it can't afford to pay it's bills and provide for it's citizens. How in the world can it justify adding $40,000,000 to the town debt when it's on the dole from the state.

Abott District

Why not try to rape the state of all it's Money.

They did that already. Now, rather than cut back on some of those 'big' political salaries, the State keeps 'borrowing on money that will eventually have to be paid back with 'interest'. If NJ can't exist on its' present budget; how is it going to survive in the future with all that 'past' credit and 'interest' to be paid back? They'll be taxing our present young and middle age residents out of our last penny when they are old.

The state should question why the schools are the worst performing in the county. There should be some performance standards that have to be met to continue receiving aid.

Raping the state for the benefit of the kids is one thing. Raping the state for the benefit of politicians and their families is another. Look where the money is going, look who is selling land to the state and look who's family members have gotten jobs from the board of education.

Archived