Zoo at Bunny Hill

Guest J D Barnett

Guest J D Barnett

Hello Kearny!

I moved out of Kearny when I was 12. I have many fond memories of my childhood town, including Bunny Hill. I was just sitting around in my Orlando home, telling friends of my past when the bear from Bunny Hill popped in my mind. I'm not sure when the zoo was taken out but i remember going there a lot. I am trying to find proof that there was a zoo there. Anyone know where I can find a picture of the zoo, mainly the bear i remember so well?

JOhn in Orlando

Hello Kearny!

I moved out of Kearny when I was 12. I have many fond memories of my childhood town, including Bunny Hill. I was just sitting around in my Orlando home, telling friends of my past when the bear from Bunny Hill popped in my mind. I'm not sure when the zoo was taken out but i remember going there a lot. I am trying to find proof that there was a zoo there. Anyone know where I can find a picture of the zoo, mainly the bear i remember so well?

JOhn in Orlando

I remember the bear as a matter of fact my Father worked for the town at the time and helped when the bear was brough in.....I remember the name but can't spell it.........there is a book about Kearny try Barnes and Nobles the ones around here have books about each town Kearny. Newark Etc....if they don't have it most times they will order it for you...I hope this helps

Hello Kearny!

I moved out of Kearny when I was 12.  I have many fond memories of my childhood town, including Bunny Hill.  I was just sitting around in my Orlando home, telling friends of my past when the bear from Bunny Hill popped in my mind.  I'm not sure when the zoo was taken out but i remember going there a lot.  I am trying to find proof that there was a zoo there. Anyone know where I can find a picture of the zoo, mainly the bear i remember so well?

JOhn in Orlando

The bear was named sinewick (not sure how to spell it). I can remember my mom taking me to the pony rides. They were great times!

Guest Studies and Observations
Hello Kearny!

I moved out of Kearny when I was 12.  I have many fond memories of my childhood town, including Bunny Hill.  I was just sitting around in my Orlando home, telling friends of my past when the bear from Bunny Hill popped in my mind.  I'm not sure when the zoo was taken out but i remember going there a lot.  I am trying to find proof that there was a zoo there. Anyone know where I can find a picture of the zoo, mainly the bear i remember so well?

JOhn in Orlando

The Bear's name was "Sinawik" (Kiwanis spelled backwards). The Zoo itself was run by if i recall correctly, the Optomists and the Kiwanis in town, as well as the Key Club in KHS...between those organizations, or the Kearny Museum, there SHOULD be a few photos out there somewhere. Oh, and when Bunnyland was finally closed, Sinawic went to live the remainder of his life at the National Zoo in Washington DC.

Hello Kearny!

JOhn in Orlando

:( yes john it was there and it had a few dear and old fire trucks and a old army jeep to play on ! and it got full of bunnys when all of the easter bunnys was dumped over the fence"at easter! that was when the town had a real mayor!!! :(

:)

The Bear's name was "Sinawik"  (Kiwanis spelled backwards).  The Zoo itself was run by if i recall correctly, the Optomists and the Kiwanis in town, as well as the Key Club in KHS...between those organizations, or the Kearny Museum, there SHOULD be a few photos out there somewhere.  Oh, and when Bunnyland was finally closed, Sinawic went to live the remainder of his life at the National Zoo in Washington DC.

Your correct Studies and Observations! I just dug through some very old photos and found a picture of "Sinawik". My parents brought us there every weekend to feed the deer and just hang out with my favorite bear. I didn't know that he went to the National Zoo. Well, thanks for that info and the chance to just sit back and relax and recall some wonderful memories. :):):)

Guest Studies and Observations
:)

Your correct Studies and Observations! I just dug through some very old photos and found a picture of "Sinawik". My parents brought us there every weekend to feed the deer and just hang out with my favorite bear.  I didn't know that he went to the National Zoo. Well, thanks for that info and the chance to just sit back and relax and recall some wonderful memories. :)  :)  :)

My Brother was a Key Club member when he was in KHS, and i remember going with him to feed the animals..one time when he opened the shed that held the feed grain, there were literally thousands of fieldmice living in it. I also remember friends of the family on the PD at the time talking about chasing Sinawik around when he went for is occasional "Walks".

My Brother was a Key Club member when he was in KHS, and i remember going with him to feed the animals..one time when he opened the shed that held the feed grain, there were literally thousands of fieldmice living in it.  I also remember friends of the family on the PD at the time talking about chasing Sinawik around when he went for is occasional "Walks".

I HAVE GOOD MEMORY OF THE ZOO TOO, I USE TO GO THERE WHEN I WAS 6 WITH MY FATHER, WHO KNOW HAS PASSED AWAY.

Guest Radagast
My Brother was a Key Club member when he was in KHS, and i remember going with him to feed the animals..one time when he opened the shed that held the feed grain, there were literally thousands of fieldmice living in it.  I also remember friends of the family on the PD at the time talking about chasing Sinawik around when he went for is occasional "Walks".

OK, here's a tivia question for ya ... What was the name of the elk who was resident at the above mentioned zoo?

enough of the old times lets talk about the crime and corruption in the current towns status!  STOP LIVING IN THE PAST

What crime and /or corruption do speak of ? there is no crime in Kearny. As far as corruption is concerned our municipality is pristine and pure. Unlike most towns we are corruption free. Just ask the student council they will agree. Like freshly fallen snow, free of foot prints and yellow areas.

enough of the old times lets talk about the crime and corruption in the current towns status!  STOP LIVING IN THE PAST

THIS IS FOR YOU REALITY CHECK! WHEN I WAS A CHILD MY GRANDMOTHER HAD A NAME FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU "GLOOMY GUS" YOU WANT TO RAIN ON EVERYONES PARADE. MAYBE YOU DON'T HAVE ANY GREAT AND HAPPY MEMORIES AS A CHILD, BUT THE MAJORITY OF US DO. MY PARENTS USED TO TAKE MY SISTER AND I TO BUNNY LAND WE EVEN NAMED "OUR OWN" GOATS, AND

I ALSO BROUGHT MY DAUGHTER THERE, AND I HAVE VERY FOND MEMORIES OF GOOD OLD BUNNY LAND. WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE IN TODAY'S SOCIETY, IT'S NICE TO SIT BACK AND REMEMBER DAYS LIKE THAT AND FOR ME THAT WAS ONLY FORTY-FIVE YEARS AGO. SO YOU JUST STAY IN YOUR REALISTIC WORLD 24-7 AND LET THE REST OF US REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS :D:P:):rolleyes:B)

THIS IS FOR YOU REALITY CHECK!  WHEN I WAS A CHILD MY GRANDMOTHER HAD A NAME FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU "GLOOMY GUS" YOU WANT TO RAIN ON EVERYONES PARADE. MAYBE YOU DON'T HAVE ANY GREAT AND HAPPY MEMORIES AS A CHILD, BUT THE MAJORITY OF US DO. MY PARENTS USED TO TAKE MY SISTER AND I TO BUNNY LAND WE EVEN NAMED "OUR OWN" GOATS, AND

I ALSO BROUGHT MY DAUGHTER THERE, AND I HAVE VERY FOND MEMORIES OF GOOD OLD BUNNY LAND. WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE IN TODAY'S SOCIETY, IT'S NICE TO SIT BACK AND REMEMBER DAYS LIKE THAT AND FOR ME THAT WAS ONLY FORTY-FIVE YEARS AGO. SO YOU JUST STAY IN YOUR REALISTIC WORLD 24-7 AND LET THE REST OF US REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS :D  :P  :)  :rolleyes:  B)

Yeah, nothing like visiting a bunch of caged animals living in the worst run-down conditions. Then the townspeople started shooting them with arrows. Now that's quality time with your family.

:rolleyes: TO REALITY CHECK, I AM NOT SURPRISED BY YOUR LAST COMMENT , I WAS THE PERSON WHO YOU RESPONDED TO ABOVE MY GRANDMOTHER WAS RIGHT YOU COULD PUT HORROR INTO A SWEET MEMORY, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE PAST AND WHAT IT MEANT TO US AS CHILDREN, OR DIDN'T YOU HAVE A CHILDHOOD? NOTHING IN THIS LIFTIME STAYS THE WAY IT WAS DUE TO THE MENTALITY OF OUR NEW GENERATION AND IM SURE THERE ARE STILL SOME OF THE OLDER ONES THAT GET A KICK OUT OF DESTROYING THE GOOD IN THINGS. NO ONE SAID THAT WE CAN'T TAKE A BREAK FROM REALITY AND REMEMBER WHEN, THINGS WERE TREATED WITH RESPECT. SO, JUST BE THAT " GLOOMY GUS " THAT YOU ARE AND YOU TAKE A REALITY CHECK

• 2 months later...

Yes, there is! I was looking through my pics and thought I had one but I did find a real old one on this site:

http://www.kearnyalumni.com/parks.html

Not sure what year that was.

Hello Kearny!

JOhn in Orlando

Guest damsil
Yes, there is! I was looking through my pics and thought I had one but I did find a real old one on this site:

http://www.kearnyalumni.com/parks.html

Not sure what year that was.

Ahhh Bunny Hill Zoo!! Some of my fondest childhood memories are of that zoo and the Bear called Sinawik. I can remember when I was 6 years old, how my beloved grandfather would take my brother Bill and I to feed the chickens, rabbits, roosters, and "the bear". Grandpa would collect scrape veggies from Tony and Danny at Sansones' Market on Elm Street and then hide them in the trunk of his 1970 Plymouth. He would tell us we were going on a great expedition to the jungle. LOL..I look back now and laugh at the lengths our grandfather went to make our lives so rich.

Guest guest
Ahhh Bunny Hill Zoo!! Some of my fondest childhood memories are of that zoo and the Bear called Sinawik. I can remember when I was 6 years old, how my beloved grandfather would take my brother Bill and I to feed the chickens, rabbits, roosters, and "the bear". Grandpa would collect scrape veggies from Tony and Danny at Sansones' Market on Elm Street and then hide them in the trunk of his 1970 Plymouth. He would tell us we were going on a great expedition to the jungle. LOL..I look back now and laugh at the lengths our grandfather went to make our lives so rich.

I was a Key Club member in HS and had to go feed the bear and other animals.

I think I have pictures. I will be in youch if I do.

Guest Radagast
I was a Key Club member in HS and had to go feed the bear and other animals.

I think I have pictures. I will be in youch if I do.

I could be dead wrong but we used to call him/her 'Wapiti'. That is what was on the sign in front of the fence anyway.

That name is somehow connected to the local Elks Lodge, I think, but my memory fails me lately.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kearny girl
The bear was named sinewick (not sure how to spell it).  I can remember my mom taking me to the pony rides.  They were great times!

I believe it was backwards spelling of "(Kuwanis) club"

not sure of the spelling either but there are still signs for the kuwanis club on Kearny ave....LOL

Guest Guest
I could be dead wrong but we used to call him/her 'Wapiti'. That is what was on the sign in front of the fence anyway.

That name is somehow connected to the local Elks Lodge, I think, but my memory fails me lately.

Silly me I used to call it "KEEP OUT"

Guest guest
Silly me I used to call it "KEEP OUT"

The bear was kept in a horror cage. Unfair for this animal. If bunny land was here now I would have the ASPCA remove him.Lets not forget about the deers that were killed and how no one was watching the place at night. Where did all the animals go to when bunnyland closed down ? I hope it was not Turtle Back Zoo.

• 4 years later...
Guest Bunny Hill
....If bunny land was here now I would have the ASPCA remove him.

It was called Bunny Hill, and who appointed you lord of the ASPCA?

Where did all the animals go to when bunnyland closed down ?...

Made into an meat chili... Excellent....