how high are your taxes?

Guest former kearny resident

I'm just curious. I was born and raised in Kearny but haven't lived there in over 20 years. I found this board, and many people seem to be complaining of high taxes.

My home is appaised at just over 500k and I pay $1,438.00 a year in property tax. Can anyone tell me what a home appraised at this value would cost in taxes if it were in Kearny?

Again, I'm just curious. All of my family and most of my friends from Kearny moved out years ago, so I have no-one from "back home" to ask.

Thanks

Guest Kearny Resident
I'm just curious.  I was born and raised in Kearny but haven't lived there in over 20 years.  I found this board, and many people seem to be complaining of high taxes.

My home is appaised at just over 500k and I pay $1,438.00 a year in property tax.  Can anyone tell me what a home appraised at this value would cost in taxes if it were in Kearny?

Again, I'm just curious.  All of my family and most of my friends from Kearny moved out years ago, so I have no-one from "back home" to ask.

Thanks

Well your home might have an appraised value of 500k, but taxes are based on the assessed value, two totally different numbers. I have a home in Kearny with an assessed value of about 109k, appraised value of aprox. 425k, and hold on to yourself because the taxes are now $8100.00. What State are you in, I'll join you!

I'm just curious.  I was born and raised in Kearny but haven't lived there in over 20 years.  I found this board, and many people seem to be complaining of high taxes.

My home is appaised at just over 500k and I pay $1,438.00 a year in property tax.  Can anyone tell me what a home appraised at this value would cost in taxes if it were in Kearny?

Again, I'm just curious.  All of my family and most of my friends from Kearny moved out years ago, so I have no-one from "back home" to ask.

Thanks

Taxes are not based on appraised value, so the numbers you would get for houses worth that much will vary, depending on the accessed value of the house.

Accessed values and appraised values vary greatly.

In your municipality are the taxes based on accessed or appraised value? Also, what services are provided by that town? Paid fire dept? Garbage pick up? Sewer or septic? etc...

Thanks for your answers. I guess I should have been clearer on my house value. The accessed value of my property is 383,500.00, and ,yes, I am taxed on my accessed value. Police, fire, garbage pickup, schools, etc are all covered in our property tax. I do have to pay for water though. Also supported are several parks, walking paths, bike paths, public beaches, and public boat ramps. (some of these are federally funded, though). Our school system rates #2 in the state.

I live on NC's Outer Banks. The only thing here that is REALLY expensive is homeowners insurance. We tend to get hit pretty hard by hurricanes.

Based on what y'all have told me, I don't think I would be able to afford to move back to Kearny, guess I'll just have to stay at the beach.

Thanks for your answers.  I guess I should have been clearer on my house value.  The accessed value of my property is 383,500.00, and ,yes, I am taxed on my accessed value.  Police, fire, garbage pickup, schools, etc are all covered in our property tax.  I do have to pay for water though.  Also supported are several parks, walking paths, bike paths, public beaches, and public boat ramps. (some of these are federally funded, though).  Our school system rates #2 in the state.

I live on NC's Outer Banks.  The only thing here that is REALLY expensive is homeowners insurance.  We tend to get hit pretty hard by hurricanes.

Based on what y'all have told me, I don't think I would be able to afford to move back to Kearny, guess I'll just have to stay at the beach.

That is an area that will see major increases in property taxes very soon. As development continues to occur, more schools will be needed and and other burdens on tax resources will increase as well.

You're right and wrong on development issues here. Our building boom started several years ago. And we did add a new school last year. Most of the development here is in investment rental property. The owners do not live here or send their children into our school systems (though they do pay hefty taxes on their multi-million dollar investments). Our "core" (full time) population is very low. We have very low unemployment and welfare is almost non-existent. I've been told that my area has more police per capita than any other place in NC. (I think they're there mostly to perform road checks and enforce speeding regulations).

Our biggest challenge is: affordable housing for the locals. The little remaining land is just too valuable to "waste" on a modest house. I suspect that every resort area in this country has faced this challenge. So, if working class people can't afford to buy here, there won't be an added burden to our schools. Sorry, but I just don't see a huge increase in taxes because of development.

In a nutshell, if my property doubles in value, I don't care if my property tax doubles. I would still be paying under 3k a year.

Archived