Bridge over troubled roadway

Guest Guest

If the railroad tracks that run on the borderline of Kearny and Harrison are no longer in use,then why not remove them.I think this will help some traffic problems.Because if you remove the train tressle on Johnson and Passaic you can stop large trucks from going trough the town.This will also benifit the citizens of East Newark also.

Guest Guest_Resident_*
If the railroad tracks that run on the borderline of Kearny and Harrison are no longer in use,then why not remove them.I think this will help some traffic problems.Because if you remove the train tressle on Johnson and Passaic you can stop large trucks from going trough the town.This will also benifit the citizens of East Newark also.

You are absolutely correct, also it would stop the problem of trucks hitting the bridge every week, which causes traffic jams and ties up the police on patrol.

The problem is this, your statement is logical and reasonable, something this towns powers at large know nothing about.

Guest Studies and Observations
How removing a railroad overpass would stop trucks I have no idea, but Passaic Avenue is a county road. Kearny has no say in its use.

Removing the overpass wont stop the trucks..ON Passaic..the problem now is that any truck over a certain height has to go up johnston ave or Central Ave to F.E.R. Blvd/Kearny Ave in order to get PAST that overpass, not to mention, as a previous poster mentioned, the dozen or more times each year the road is closed because a truck, crane, or other vehicle strikes the bridge.

How removing a railroad overpass would stop trucks I have no idea, but Passaic Avenue is a county road. Kearny has no say in its use.

It would stop trucks going up and down the narrow streets of Johnson and Grant.Did you ever get stuck behind a truck making trying to make that turn.

Guest Guest_resident_*

Ron, the overpass is hit every week by trucks which are too high to clear underneath it. Also, I am not sure about this, but a few years back the town of Kearny took over Passaic Ave and Schuyler Ave as a cost savings for taxes being paid to Hudson county. If anyone knows if this is true please respond. The overpass has nothing to do with Kearny or the county, it is the railroads. Passaic Ave is not the original topic, it is the overpass which is the concern.

Ron, the overpass is hit every week by trucks which are too high to clear underneath it. Also, I am not sure about this, but a few years back the town of Kearny took over Passaic Ave and Schuyler Ave as a cost savings for taxes being paid to Hudson county. If anyone knows if this is true please respond.  The overpass has nothing to do with Kearny or the county, it is the railroads. Passaic Ave is not the original topic, it is the overpass which is the concern.

I seem to recall a meeting years ago, maybe during the Sansone or early Vartan administration, when Kearny and the county agreed that the town would clean and snow plow county roads within our borders in lieu of a portion of our county tax burden.

The county still has the responsibility of maintaining these roads, though. It's only been a few years since the county repaved and recurbed Passaic Avenue at no direct cost to the town. The town did, however, have some input in the design of the cross street entryways and private driveway accesses. Hope that answers your question.

In reference to the overpass, it's just my opinion, but I find it highly doubtful the railroad will be removing it any time soon. Although the line is no longer used, it is still a right-of-way that may be used or sold off in the future. Also, from the railroads point of view, why go to the expense of removal without benefit or compensation. And, in case anyone is thinking about lowering the road bed to facilitate the trucks, tit won't work. That was tried on Harrison Pike by the Post Office facility and led to flooding.

Archived